Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

+1, 1:36 half or faster is 3:30 in reality based on other boardsies performance (male especially) Especially as Digger seems more a fast twitch type runner.

I'm more of a fast twitch runner like digger and convereteda 1:29 half- to a 3:10 full in a few months, pretty much in line with Mcmillan. Lots of long runs are the key plenty of miles. There is no reason why a 1:32 half runner can't do a sub 3;15 full, fast twitch or not ;)

A few months ago i would have agreed with you btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

menoscemo wrote: »
    I'm more of a fast twitch runner like digger and convereteda 1:29 half- to a 3:10 full in a few months, pretty much in line with Mcmillan. Lots of long runs are the key plenty of miles. There is no reason why a 1:32 half runner can't do a sub 3;15 full, fast twitch or not ;)

As I said 80+ ;)

Mr Slow wrote: »
    As I said 80+ ;)

I only did 80+ once (as it happens the week before my 3:10 marathon :p).

60-70 miles a week on average over a 12 week period is more than enough to convert ones potential I reckon. Having a good base certainly helps.

I only did 80+ once (as it happens the week before my 3:10 marathon :p).

60-70 miles a week on average over a 12 week period is more than enough to convert ones potential I reckon. Having a good base certainly helps.

Agreed, but you'd want your base of 50/60 pw for a good long period prior to that.

Agreed, but you'd want your base of 50/60 pw for a good long period prior to that.

Yes indeed, so Digger the message is get running and keep it consistent between now and the start of your copying CL's mara programme :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

See thats the thing. It took you 3 months to improve from a 1:29 half standard to a 3:10 marathon standard. As i said you looked visibly thinner over Easter than you did back in December and you have seen a noticable improvement since. Surely you would have done 1'27/1'28 if you did the half in Blackpool? A Mcmillan 3'05 or thereabouts.

As i said you looked visibly thinner over Easter than you did back in December

:D Thanks Brian. I am doing my best to get fat again. :pac:

I don't think there was more than a kilo in weight between the two though.

My point is that digger has 5 months to go to berlin so to run 1:36 now and go for 3:30 in berlin is a weak target.
    If I run 1:24:xx or low 1:25 4 weeks out from berlin (longford half) I'll be quietly confident of a sub 3, so If Digger is in 1:32 shape by then he should be happy to go for 3:15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Wow... Where do I start :eek: Firstly, interesting points made. To date, my training has been basically made up of running plenty of miles and the odd race. I have done no, what one could call, structured training. I have also given literally zero thought to diet, sleep, booze consumption etc. (that might stay the same ;)) So at this point I actually don't know what sort of improvement I could find.

Interestingly enough, since I joined Sportsworld I've done sessions that I would never have done on my own, time trials, Fartlek, 200M repeats etc. and doing them within a club scene allows you to see where you are in the pecking order.

Last night was a 3.5 mile Fartlek, myself and CL ran with the intermediate group and I was the first male and CL the first female to finish. We definitely pushed ourselves harder than we would have on our own. I came out of the session feeling great and optimistic about what I could do to some of my PB's with another few months of proper training.

I know I have a few years on most of you and that will no doubt eventually have its influence but I've seen first hand the improvements made by other Boardsies after they joined a club. That said, I'm also cautious with my goals and predictions. Besides, if someone told me two years ago that I'd be in Berlin in September 2012 running a 3:29 Marathon I'd have been delighted.

If Digger is in 1:32 shape by then he should be happy to go for 3:15.

You thought I was mad thinking low 3:2x after running 1:33 in the series half before DCM last year.

You thought I was mad thinking low 3:2x after running 1:33 in the series half before DCM last year.
    I've changed my mind :p

• Advertisement

I've changed my mind :p

Then that would mean you were....wrong? :eek:

Digger, the moral of the story is not to sell yourself short!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Wow... Where do I start :eek: Firstly, interesting points made. To date, my training has been basically made up of running plenty of miles and the odd race. I have done no, what one could call, structured training. I have also given literally zero thought to diet, sleep, booze consumption etc. (that might stay the same ;)) So at this point I actually don't know what sort of improvement I could find.

Interestingly enough, since I joined Sportsworld I've done sessions that I would never have done on my own, time trials, Fartlek, 200M repeats etc. and doing them within a club scene allows you to see where you are in the pecking order.

If it's any consolation (or motivation, well that's how I used it ;)), a couple of years ago I was basically told by Boards posters that I wouldn't run certain times for the marathon as I wasn't suited for the longer stuff. Up until that point I'd never trained properly for one. Judging by what you've written above, either have you! Therefore nobody can predict the improvements you will see over the next 6-18 months with structured training.

The one thing I would say about the club sessions is make sure you take it very handy the days either side of them. You are probably developing/using muscle groups that don't normally get used and recovery is so important especially as the body gets used to running higher intensities in training.

If it's any consolation (or motivation, well that's how I used it ;)), a couple of years ago I was basically told by Boards posters that I wouldn't run certain times for the marathon as I wasn't suited for the longer stuff.

Name and Shame!!!:)

Name and Shame!!!:)

They know who they are :D

They know who they are :D

They might but I don't :)

They might but I don't :)

I prefer to subtly remind them by not naming and shaming directly. Suffice to say I regularly visualise the bastards 20 miles onwards in marathons or the days I don't want to train. Nothing better than proving the doubters wrong :)

If it's any consolation (or motivation, well that's how I used it ;)), a couple of years ago I was basically told by Boards posters that I wouldn't run certain times for the marathon as I wasn't suited for the longer stuff. Up until that point I'd never trained properly for one. Judging by what you've written above, either have you! Therefore nobody can predict the improvements you will see over the next 6-18 months with structured training.

The one thing I would say about the club sessions is make sure you take it very handy the days either side of them. You are probably developing/using muscle groups that don't normally get used and recovery is so important especially as the body gets used to running higher intensities in training.

Yeh, it's interesting how a running book and one marathon under your belt can make someone an expert ;)

I was a very competitive and combatitive sportsman in years gone by... In fact, maybe a little too Roy Keane for my own good. It's therefore quite humbling to line up at the start of a 5k knowing that if I run 20 mins I'll finish maybe 1km behind the winner. Therefore my attitude has changed to the "participation" ethos... that may be where I sell myself short. But I'm beginning to see an improvement that does have me re-assessing some of my original goals.

Point taken re: the easy days either side of the club sessions, I have been doing that. First track session tomorrow morning in Tallaght should be fun/interesting.... Might be just the excuse I need to get myself a pair of spikes :)

First track session tomorrow morning in Tallaght should be fun/interesting.... Might be just the excuse I need to get myself a pair of spikes :)

What?? :mad:

Who the hell let you sportsworld pussies use our track :mad:. I must tip off 'the lads'.

First track session tomorrow morning in Tallaght should be fun/interesting.... Might be just the excuse I need to get myself a pair of spikes :)

What?? :mad:

Who the hell let you sportsworld pussies use our track :mad:. I must tip off 'the lads'.

Well it was that or run in grass skirts down in Ray's place ;):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

As if you could handle it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Really think you should give one of the graded meets a lash. That 70 second 400m you did in UCD a while back and your fast twitch makeup would have you competitve in the Masters track and field competitions. Beats crawling round ultra's? Just a thought.

Really think you should give one of the graded meets a lash. That 70 second 400m you did in UCD a while back and your fast twitch makeup would have you competitve in the Masters track and field competitions. Beats crawling round ultra's? Just a thought.

Yep, would be really interesting to try it out, especially against my age group... Might see if I can give a 400m a lash tomorrow and see what time I get....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Yep, would be really interesting to try it out, especially against my age group... Might see if I can give a 400m a lash tomorrow and see what time I get....

Probably go close to 60 seconds with little or no sprint training :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

That depends. Do you know what these are?
    220px-NewtonStartingBlocks.jpg

Careful with the old legs digger. 2 Speed sessions already this week, another one tomorrow and a long run with pace in sunday sounds like a lot to take on in one week. The quality sessions are great but 2 per week is loads.

Yeh, it's interesting how a running book and one marathon under your belt can make someone an expert ;)

That's 3 marathons and two books smartass :P

That's 3 marathons and two books smartass :P

:D:D

RayCun wrote: »
    That depends. Do you know what these are?
    220px-NewtonStartingBlocks.jpg

I sure do, I used them to get away from my Ex ;):D

• Advertisement

Sense prevailed this morning as I decided against the track session. I have two tough enough club sessions behind me this week and a challenging enough 10 miler with CL planned for tomorrow.

Thursday - Club Session - A couple of miles between w/up/down and 3.5 miles Fartlek at an average of 7:14 pace.

Friday - Nice and easy 3 miles at 9.10 pace

Advertisement