Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Friday - Reckoned I might not run over the weekend so decided on a fast-ish one despite the club session the night before - I did what I guess could be called a progression run. The plan was that I'd just get faster each mile 1/2/3 and then do any easy warm-down. As per usual I didn't exactly adhere to the plan - Stats as follows...

Mile 1 @ 7:46
    Mile 2 @ 7:16
    Mile 3 @ 6:49
    Mile 4 @ 6:47

Was busy this weekend with doing bits and pieces for the Terenure 5 mile and took the opportunity to kick back prior to the start of Berlin training which begins today :)

Yet again I have to report that I've got a sore throat and am generally feeling a little under the weather. I was talking with a clubmate yesterday who said he'd continually suffered with the same man flu issues every couple of months until he finally copped on and started eating properly. I know my Kenyan housemate;) is always on at me about it and she's right but for some reason I just seem to be paying little heed. For instance, I could get home in the evening and go for a run where I've had no breakfast, no lunch and maybe just a couple of coffees, literally meaning I may not have eaten in 24 hours. Don't get me wrong, I love food.....It's common sense that I need to fuel properly but sometimes I'm not so good with common sense when it comes to myself.

Anyway, I'm in two minds as to whether I'll continue with my log. I haven't really had the time to update it properly with real detail and my undoubted wit. I'll have a think about it over the next few days... Right, now I'm off to check with CL to see what's on the plan for Day 1 of Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Depriving the world of your log.....how thoughtless. ;)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Depriving the world of your log.....how thoughtless. ;)

Well, CL doesn't allow me to share it with anyone :D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Should we start a petition to keep Digs's to update his log :p

chinguetti wrote: »

While we're at it, we might petition to get you to START a log!

• Advertisement

Sure myself and Digs might do a joint log????

But could the Internet cope with such wisdom in one log?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Ah you have to keep your log going. I'd miss my daily dose of innuendo smut running information :D

Sure myself and Digs might do a joint log????

But could the Internet cope with such wisdom in one log?:D

Wisdom? I have many other words. That ain't one of them!! ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Well, CL doesn't allow me to share it with anyone :D;)
    Sure myself and jcsmum might do a joint log????

Spag Bol and jcsmum, please see my earlier post above :p

jcsmum wrote: »
    While we're at it, we might petition to get you to START a log!

Maybe you can go the whole hog and get a Garmin as well :D

• Advertisement

Actually i got a lend of one there at the weekend and ran with it but no likely.

Actually i got a lend of one there at the weekend and ran with it but no likely.

Well, don't let him know that I told you, but just to avoid confusion, Pudds is going to buy you one for your Birthday :)

Tuesday - Berlin training begins... Went down to the club session but I did my own thing as per the plan. Was meant to be 5 @ 9:15 but that had been based on CL having raced a half on Sunday so I did 5 @ 8:04

It struck me that a couple of years ago I was trying to run 8 min miles to break 40 for a 5 mile race in the park and now that feels like a "jog".... Mad Ted:)

Wednesday and Thursday were non starters due to work and family commitments. Not ideal but I was heading off to the UK for the Rugby so had to get stuff done

Friday - Liverpool - 5 miles at 8:09 pace. We were up at 4 AM for our flight and were pretty tired by the time we got around to this run on Friday afternoon.

Saturday - 8 AM start - Liverpool - 12 miles at 9:03 - This run was awful, we were tired, hungover and heavy legged. It's ages since we had done an LSR after pints the night before...not a good idea! Had a bit of a hip flexor niggle. Train down to London followed by Twickenham and Heineken Cup No. 3.... Pints and dirty food.

Sunday - Back up to Liverpool and a run around Sefton Park at about 4pm. This run felt much better and easier. Only the slightest trace of the hip flexor twinge. Recovery - 5 miles at 9.13

Monday - 6 miles at 8:38, legs a bit meh

Tuesday - Club session which I ran to. Did 3 x 400's with 60 sec recovery/ 2 x 800's with 90 sec recovery and 3 x 300's with 40 sec recovery. Total distance covered tonight of 7.7 miles plus 2.5 mile cycle.

Wednesday - Recovery - 6 miles at 8:53 pace

Thursday - Club session - 5 x 1 mile repeats with 60 second recovery. W/up - W/down of 1 mile. 6 miles covered. 5 mile cycle.

Wow, 3 weeks since I wrote anything on my log! Well, I've been training away, following a plan based on speed at the moment as there's plenty of miles/stamina in the legs from the Ultra.

Race Report - Sunday 17th of June - Raheny 5k.

Had been looking forward to this over the last couple of weeks but thanks to a big lump of a chocolate cake concoction that CL made and I consumed (I rarely eat chocolate) I managed to get to sleep at 5 AM!! Anyway, excuses over, up and out to Raheny. Beautiful morning, got the number and went off to St Annes Park with my bag lady. Did a better warm up than usual (thanks Dave) bumped into a few club mates and a few Boardsies.

On the line and marthastew drew my attention to where CL was standing and there beside her was my eldest Daughter. She'd never been to one of my races and CL had been in cahoots with her to organise this for Father's Day.... I was very happy :)

Gun went and after about 1k I was really struggling, breathing much heavier than usual and was short on strength. The course had been altered due to flooding and involved some very tight turns which were knocking me out of any rhythm i had. I passed quite a few people and in turn was passed by 5/6.... 3/4 of them I went by un the last 1k.

This run in general was awful hard, it was a battle from too early on but I kept fighting away and finished in 19.18 which is a new PB by 16 or 18 seconds (can't exactly remember la cheile's time). Some of the more experienced lads have suggested it was a slow course by 15-20 seconds so I'm still looking good for sub 19 sometime soon.

On The Horizon

Well, this coming Saturday I'm pacing a few of the Boardsie ladies to a sub 50 in the Dunshaughlin 10k and the following day myself and CL are pacing the 2 hr group in The Strawberry Half in Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Great run!
    Don't know how I managed to miss you all there...

RayCun wrote: »
    Great run!

I was right behind you on the start line, stayed in touch for the first maybe 1.5k but then had to let you go for fear that I'd throw up on your back......there's that line I've just crossed again ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    Great run!

He was in the Digger position, hoping to steal glory from you on the line, he has form for this.:pac::P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Mr Slow wrote: »
    He was in the Digger position, hoping to steal glory from you on the line,

I don't mind being overtaken, but I draw the line at being vomited on. :)
    But I'm not narrow-minded, whatever you want to do in the privacy of your own home...

Monday - 4 Miles easy 8:40 - 8:50 pace

Tuesday - Club Session, 1 mile warm-up, 4 x 400m, 3 x 800m, 3 x 300m, 1 mile warm-down.

Was meant to take this session a little easy and I was disciplined until the second of the 800's and then off I went like a bat out of hell. Enjoyed the 300's and ran all three differently, first one from the front, second I started near the front and took the lead with 100m to go and the last one I started in the middle of the pack, accelerated through the first 150m passed other runners, then held back a little and went again with 50m to go to pip my target on the line (snipe I hear some of you say).

I have to say that the club sessions definitely drive you on. Over the different distances you get to know who is best and you can set them as your target accordingly to measure the improvement.

A few easy 4-8 milers during the latter part of last week.

Saturday evening - Dunshaughlin 10k - I was the unofficial sub 50 pacer for emer911, racheljev, rainbow kirby and younganne. Younganne had to back out and RK was out and then in at the last minute. She did very well to stick it out despite being in trouble after a few km's. Emer and Rachel ran super races to finish in 49:3x's. Great fun and delighted for the girls.

Sunday - Strawberry Half Enniscorthy - I was pacing sub 2 hr here. Great day, lovely weather, usual craic with the other pacers. This was CL's first pacing gig and you'd swear she'd been doing it for years. We sent on most of group with a mile or so to go to finish in 1:58's and got the stragglers home sub 2. Well organised event, course not one for a tough PB attempt but great for training.

Monday - Legs a bit wrecked after the recent exertions, the 5k PB on Sunday followed by the tough club session on the Tuesday had me out of kilter. Easy 3 miles at 8:50 pace.

Tuesday - Club session, finally copped on for a change and opted out of the 600m repeats to protect the knees/ITB's... Did an easy 6 miles with CL. First one around the 9:15 mark and wound their way down to 7:32 on the last. Some decent stretches and a cycle to and from training have the legs feeling better, still achy but not as concentrated.

Wednesday - 6 very difficult miles at 8:50 average. Legs were wrecked, I was sweating (horses sweat, men perspire) like a horse's ass. Absolute struggle all the way. I hope this was just a once-off bad run although I'm three days into anti-histimines which I avoid like the plague normally but just had no choice. A little concerned that these have me a little lacklustre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Wednesday - 6 very difficult miles at 8:50 average. Legs were wrecked, I was sweating (horses sweat, men perspire) like a horse's ass. Absolute struggle all the way. I hope this was just a once-off bad run although I'm three days into anti-histimines which I avoid like the plague normally but just had no choice. A little concerned that these have me a little lacklustre.

I think a change of shirt is in order, that donadea 50k shirt you were wearing yesterday; you were wearing it on saturday too. I could smell you a mile away.
    How many free entries do you think Anto will give you? :D

menoscemo wrote: »
    I think a change of shirt is in order, that donadea 50k shirt you were wearing yesterday; you were wearing it on saturday too. I could smell you a mile away.
    How many free entries do you think Anto will give you? :D

I have two of those tops, the free entry to next year is sorted, I'm now on a percentage :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I have two of those tops

And yet you didn't even run it :rolleyes:

You are ruining the prestige of those t-shirts, they are supposed to be more prestigious than a ballycotton top 100 shirt.

menoscemo wrote: »
    And yet you didn't even run it :rolleyes:

You are ruining the prestige of those t-shirts, they are supposed to be more prestigious than a ballycotton top 100 shirt.

I may not have run it but handing out drinks for 5 hours and helping the Flora with litres of phlegm qualifies me to wear it with pride;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I may not have run it but handing out drinks for 5 hours and helping the Flora with litres of phlegm qualifies me to wear it with pride;)

Thankfully, I had my lunch before reading that bit :(

• Advertisement

Aimman wrote: »

Thankfully, I had my lunch before reading that bit :(

You may see it again Aimmo ;)

Advertisement