Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Best of luck digger in Berlin. Your HM PB is very similar to mine, so keen to see how you get on
    Enjoy the 'craic' over there as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Just back from a 6 miler with CL and Meno... The pavements smacked of smack down... The plan for all three of us was 2 miles easy followed by 2 miles MP and then 2 easy...

The first two went by with a little ''he said'', ''she said'' between CL and Meno. Then it was time for the MP miles, Meno went off and did 2 x 6.50 approx (even though his MP, he swears, is 7 min/mile) CL did 7.07 (even though she swears her MP is 7.15) and trailing in behind them was a chuckling, if a little sweaty, dig dig at 7.12 pace (even though my MP is closer to 7.35) It was all quite funny...:D

I'd love to be fast enough just to follow these two at close quarters around Berlin. Meno is so worried that he's considering skipping his now customary Dublin Airport carb loading breakfast of a Bacon Double Cheeseburger, Onion Rings, Large Fries and full fat coke with extra lard ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Best of luck for Sunday Digger. I know you love the way the attention is deflected away from you completly the way all sandbaggers do. I think you'll have a surprise for us in Sunday ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck. Try not to over exert yourself and put the old ticker under too much stress. :D

Rest day today... Went to Ciaran Fitz to get the once over. Then we met up this evening for a pint of diluted blackcurrant :( with coach for our final Berlin instructions, pheew,, if it wasn't for him we may have neglected to bring money and passports:D;)

Really looking forward to stretching the legs for a few miles tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of luck Digger for Sunday. Hoping it'll go better than planned for you:D
    Enjoy the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Have a super time. You'll do great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Rest day today... Went to Ciaran Fitz to get the once over. Then we met up this evening for a pint of diluted blackcurrant :( with coach for our final Berlin instructions, pheew,, if it wasn't for him we may have neglected to bring money and passports:D;)

I'm making you a packed lunch and ironing your underpants as we speak :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

TRR wrote: »

He prefers knickers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Best of luck Digger - Nail that 3:15/3:20* target!

* Delete as appropriate!

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »

He prefers knickers!

Yeh, your Sister's :)

Hi all, the thank you button won't work for me so thanks all for the good wishes.

I'm trying to get this eejit to stop packing ****e, we are going away for two nights, it's unlikely we'll need a tent, emergency water purification tablets and a compass, the airport staff will think we have a small family in the case! You've caused this Dave ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Hi all, the thank you button won't work for me so thanks all for the good wishes.

I'm trying to get this eejit to stop packing ****e, we are going away for two nights, it's unlikely we'll need a tent, emergency water purification tablets and a compass, the airport staff will think we have a small family in the case! You've caused this Dave ;)

Ha ha, I don't think I'm to blame fully but I probably didn't help. Now get to bed you have an early flight tomorrow and a marathon to run Sunday.

The Berlin Dossier
    The latest odyssey began with a relaxed check in at Dublin Airport, T1. I decided to ignore the Lord our saviour’s (aka TRR) advice to eat well and instead adopt the carb loading methodology of another God complex candidate, Meno, and headed off to Burger King. Here I had their version of a bacon and egg McMuffin with tasty little hash browns. CL, ever the perfectionist, just had tea with Soya milk infused with essence of coconut, nettle and mint.

Onto the plane and we had the seats in the final row, Marthastew and Herr Stew were at the very front, was this an omen? Portents of things to follow? The flight was very comfortable and we remarked on how thin a lot of the passengers were, if the plane hadn’t been heading to Berlin you would be forgiven for thinking it was a high altitude experiment for HIV sufferers.

A swift taxi journey to a very busy Expo with the above mentioned Stews, we got our numbers etc. Had a pasta lunch with Martha and got out of there pretty lively. A short enough taxi ride to our apartment and a quick change saw us out on the pavements of Berlin for an easy 2 miles. Luckily this coincided with the In-Line skating race, the first two men went through the 35k mark in about 51 minutes, that pace had CL questioning her goals for next year ;) What became apparent on this run was the warmth of the locals toward their visiting competitors and also the camaraderie amongst fellow runners. The rest of the day was about sleep, eating, sleep, in that order.

Sunday morning and we awoke to a bright, almost clear sky. I had bacon and eggs, CL had, actually, I don’t know, probably chocolate and wine J We walked to the start where we began a gentle warm up alongside the park. Coming from the opposite direction we were passed by Geoffrey Mutai and his Kenyan entourage, they spotted CL and looked genuinely worried. There was great colour about and a crackle of anticipation in the crisp air. We took our place in Corral E and with a few minutes to go to the start we said our ‘’Good lucks’’ and a quick kiss saw CL move a few metres further up. The music and the MC cranked up the excitement and looking around you could see many nationalities raring to go but with a clear sense of respect for what we were about to embark on.

The gun went and immediately hundreds of balloons were released upwards, Racoon Queen had nothing to do with that on this occasion J I started on the left side and although a little fast early on I found my rhythm pretty quickly. I moved through the first 5k in 23:14 and then eased off a little to get toward goal pace. Soon after this I got a shout from Meno who unfortunately had to pull out early (a handy birth control aid ;)). I then ran by two Danish guys in excited conversation, no need for me to speak their native tongue, it was clear as day, alongside them was a Venezuelan girl with the best top tens I’ve seen for a while, compliments of the surgeon, but it gave me a chuckle all the same as I shared a knowing laugh with the Danes.

The 10k split was 23:31 and the 15k was 23:30 so all was good apart from a little tightness in my hamstrings. I went through the 20k split in 23:37 and the HM at 1.39.00 and this is where the hamstrings got worse. I had raced the Rathfarnham 5k the previous Sunday and although very happy with the run and the new pb in 18:47 my hamstrings were very tender the whole week leading up to Berlin. The next few miles were a total blur, 25k split was 23:42 and increasingly I was focussing on my legs, were they going to cramp? How could I have been so stupid to race a 5k a week before my goal race!?? With cramp threatening I was faced with the awful reality of not making a sub 3:30 despite being well ahead on time. I had no choice but to ease back a little, 30k split was 24:15 and 35k was 24:13. I was very aware of the festivities and the fantastic crowds but I was consumed by the psychological and physical battle ensuing. Through these miles I missed the major km markers and began to rely more heavily on my Garmin. Going through 20 miles at a 7.30 average I was going to come in under 3:20 providing there were no late mishaps. With about a half mile to go I was at 7:32 pace, tired from the sheer anxiety of threatening cramp for the second half of the race I was still positive, that’s when I saw the 40k marker (24:43 split). I assumed I had missed it and a quick calculation left me realising that there’d be no sub 3:20. I pushed hard and ran the last 2.195 k in about 10.45 to finish in 3:20:48.
    My legs were dead as I limped away to receive my medal, there were four things that were now pressing, to see CL, find out if she’d broken 3.10, get some water and finally, get some Erdinger. All four were quickly obtained, I was absolutely delighted that CL ran a 3:08, and although it did make me feel even more that I’d underachieved, it was an absolutely amazing effort and a credit to her hard work, discipline and emerging talent. We then met up with Meno and had alcohol free beers in the sun whilst I nursed some feeling back into my hamstrings. Later, we headed off to Oscar Wilde and had great craic and lots of beers with the usual crew and also met some new faces, Pre, Pronator and Sideswipe.

So, five days on and a few easy runs later my legs are feeling pretty good. I’ve recovered quicker than my previous marathons which should be a good sign. I am now more impressed with my 3:20 having put things into perspective – It’s a 22 minute pb and qualifies me for Boston so it must be a reasonably decent time. I’ve decided to do the XC Series and have my first practice session with the club in the Phoenix Park tomorrow. I'll take it pretty easy up until DCM where I'm pacing the 4:15 group and then the next phase for myself and CL with the help of the Evil Doctor TRR will be to start again on 5k and 10k work, get those times down further and look at 7:30 - 7.45/mile being the 'easy' pace for our next Marathon training cycle ;). Regarding that next race Marathon, it remains to be seen, but we do have the qualifying time for Boston ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

For a professional bag carrier and training partner, you're not a bad runner in your own right ;)
    (but did she make you type all that on your phone? Didn't want to let you write a report,and steal some of the limelight:pac:)

Super stuff digs, savage PB, you managed to blitz your log title as well. "Great top tens" :D super stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good going Digs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

"Great top tens" :D super stuff.

After some brief research to find out what I might have to do with my teeny tens in order to keep him satisfied, I've discovered that I'm basically screwed!!

Check out Annabelle at F6255!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks. I purchased the DVD.

Well done Digs, really great result (your copy of the DVD is in the post). I'd be very wary about doing an XC session tomorrow. As you know yourself, you are more likely to give yourself an injury this week, than any other period of your marathon training.

After some brief research to find out what I might have to do with my teeny tens in order to keep him satisfied, I've discovered that I'm basically screwed!!

Fantastic, great research. Can you please find other examples. It's like watching Baywatch does Berlin. I reckon if she lost those bad boys she could run considerably faster. Productivity for the afternoon has been shot to pieces now :)

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    For a professional bag carrier and training partner, you're not a bad runner in your own right ;)
    (but did she make you type all that on your phone? Didn't want to let you write a report,and steal some of the limelight:pac:)

She actually asked me to dumb down my report ;)

Thanks. I purchased the DVD.

Well done Digs, really great result (your copy of the DVD is in the post). I'd be very wary about doing an XC session tomorrow. As you know yourself, you are more likely to give yourself an injury this week, than any other period of your marathon training.

Thanks, I hope you got the 3Dd version ;) Tomorrow's run is just a recce and will be all at recovery pace. We are under instructions from Our Lord and Master as well as Emily in Sportsworld:D

Fantastic, great research. Can you please find other examples. It's like watching Baywatch does Berlin. I reckon if she lost those bad boys she could run considerably faster. Productivity for the afternoon has been shot to pieces now :)

Hands above the desk TRR ;) They were classic, hard as rock too, at least that's how they felt at the 25k mark :D:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Hey Digger, excellent race and report. Really nice to meet you after, I didn't hang around too long, I know I can't keep up with you lot during a race and I definitely couldn't keep up when it comes to the post race rehydration!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Loved the report, and congrats on an awesome run!!! I'll see you in Boston!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I can't seem to make Anabelle's pictures any bigger :mad: Can anyone help?

Congrats on Boston I see there is some advantage to being as old as you- you get an extra 15 minutes to qualify :p
    (damn those 42 seconds- again)

Edit: Doh, just found the 'enlarge' button :eek::D

Can you imagine the conversation digs and Anabaloons had at 25km.

Digs: shows me your top tens and I'll let you stroke my truncheon.
    Anabaloons: no speaky English.
    Digs: (grabs his crotch and winks at the poor girls chest) swapy?
    Anabaloons: ah el sex pesto. Help help
    Digs: feck ya, I wasted 5 minutes on you, $hite better put the foot down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Can you imagine the conversation digs and Anabaloons had at 25km.
    Given the size of them are we sure she wasn't a pacer??

belcarra wrote: »
    Given the size of them are we sure she wasn't a pacer??

Yeh...Bring back the balloons I say:D

• Advertisement

First cross country training session this morning in the Phoenix Park with the club. All went well although I can't help myself sometimes and did run a little faster than an OAP on marathon recovery.

Really looking forward to these races over the Winter, looks like they're pinning their Novice hopes on their new "join our club for instant improvement" poster girl CL.;)

Advertisement