Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Thursday - Easy - 5 miles at 8:23.

Friday - Easy - 3 miles at 8.26 with strides and stretches.

This didn't feel especially easy, I'm not great for morning runs but I'm glad I wasn't down to do 10 miles!

Saturday - Rathcoffey 10k - 40.19

So, this was my first actual 10k, although I had entered and run the Aware race that turned out to be 8 point something km's a couple of years ago. I wasn't sure where I was fitness-wise, one third of the way through Boston training, but, the plan was to go out quite hard and sustain it for as long as possible. I had also dragged myself into this century by switching my Garmin to km's :)

The race started on a football pitch so I got myself into a good position as the gun went off. I was a bit quick through the first km but by the 2.5 mark I settled into a rhythm at 4 min/km average. By the 5th km that had begun to slip as I started to doubt myself and didn't want to be a complete mess in the last 3k's. At the 6.5k mark I hit a hill, nothing more than a minor inconvenience normally but it sapped my legs of energy. At this stage I'd slipped to 4.06/km average. This was the point that we all go through no matter what our level, ease off and accept that it wasn't my day or dig the fook in and find more, I chose the latter.

Over the next 2k's I started to get some time back. With about 1.5 m to go I heard a runner gaining on me, as they got close I realised it was a woman's breathing. Now, whilst I wanted CL to win the race, I really didn't wanted to be chicked, especially not as I was heading for a pretty respectable time. It wasn't her however and with 1.2km to go the first lady went by. I hung on to her just a few metres behind. I knew if I could keep close I'd most likely get her with my infamous finishing kick, snipe, ninja thing ;) Turning back into the GAA club with about 300m to go I got a big shout from TRR aka De Coach and I turned on the boosters... Toast biatch :) I'd a strong run to the line and although I felt like barfing I recovered extremely quickly and hoofed a twix and a banana down before roaring my head off at CL who tried in vain to hold onto 2nd place but was caught with 40 metres to go, a great run considering she has a heavy cold, not nearly as bad as manflu I'd like it noted.

So, alls in all and in anyways ;) it was a good mornings work. A couple of years ago when I heard about people running sub 40 10k's I was in awe. Now I know I'll have one and quite likely in my next 10k. CL got a nice bit of glass and a jump on the podium and my 40.19 got me 25th place with TRR in.the 33's and third overall.

Myself and the sniffler then headed over to Donadea to catch a few laps.... We were sorry to see Meno and RQ on the sidelines watching with Emer911 but it was great to see all the boardsies do so well, Krusty, Pronator, Izoard, sideswipe, pauliec, Aimman, beepbeep, oisin, mrstew and of course our new ladies champion and 50k record holder Marthastew!! Well done all! :)

Monday - 6.3 miles recovery at 9 min/mile

Legs were sore after Saturday's race so I skipped the Sunday run. As a result I was really looking forward to running on Monday albeit was a little concerned over the hamstrings and quads. As it turned out they were grand, however, woke up this morning with DOMS city!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Great 10k race - you'll blitz that sub 40 next time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Monday - 6.3 miles recovery at 9 min/mile

Legs were sore after Saturday's race so I skipped the Sunday run. As a result I was really looking forward to running on Monday albeit was a little concerned over the hamstrings and quads. As it turned out they were grand, however, woke up this morning with DOMS city!!

Aimman would put you to shame!!

...I'm beginning to see what Claralara keeps banging on about now!:D

belcarra wrote: »

Aimman would put you to shame!!

...I'm beginning to see what Claralara keeps banging on about now!:D

But I ran on Saturday, walking doesn't count ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

oooh, what a bitch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

It does when you've already covered 42.2km and you're just aiming to get back to dry clothes and a seat to rest on! I was so cold that I didn't even get a chance to have any of the chocolate goodies on offer as I rushed back to the car to put on the heat!

...I suppose alright if I had ran back it would have avoided all that though!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Saw you and your wing-woman running yesterday evening.
    Super 10k time at the weekend!

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    oooh, what a bitch

;)

belcarra wrote: »
    It does when you've already covered 42.2km and you're just aiming to get back to dry clothes and a seat to rest on! I was so cold that I didn't even get a chance to have any of the chocolate goodies on offer as I rushed back to the car to put on the heat!

...I suppose alright if I had ran back it would have avoided all that though!:cool:

Ah well, at least you got the pints into you on Saturday night, excellent for recovery ;):D

jcsmum wrote: »
    Saw you and your wing-woman running yesterday evening.
    Super 10k time at the weekend!

You should have joined us!

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I was only walking at that point to have a bit of a chat with you otherwise my voice would end up doing that weird Doppler effect like a speeding ambulance going by. :P

Aimman wrote: »

I was only walking at that point to have a bit of a chat with you otherwise my voice would end up doing that weird Doppler effect like a speeding ambulance going by. :P

:) Did you do your customary 50k jump across the finish line like last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

You should have joined us!

Thanks!!

Um, well I would have only 1. I was driving 2. the kids were with me & 3. I was in work attire. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

:) Did you do your customary 50k jump across the finish line like last year?

Not this time around, I was helping one of the Donore runners to the finish line. Gave her the glory of running through the finish tape. Don't worry, there'll be other finish lines to leapfrog. :D

Anyway, Rory Mooney stole my pose for his finish so I would have looked like a copy cat, like all those poses of people doing the Mobot at the end of a race ;)

jcsmum wrote: »

Um, well I would have only 1. I was driving 2. the kids were with me & 3. I was in work attire. :)

Sounds like you're in the valley of excuses ;):)

Aimman wrote: »

Not this time around, I was helping one of the Donore runners to the finish line. Gave her the glory of running through the finish tape. Don't worry, there'll be other finish lines to leapfrog. :D

Always the gentleman, that will be the good schooling ;)

Tuesday - MLR - 10 miles at 8:07

Was toying with the idea of an easy run and putting off the MLR to Wednesday as suggested by TRR as the legs were fooked from watching the 50k but decided to go for it. I was joined by a hesitant CL who is a bit low in running confidence at the moment.

The run went well, I was grand and although CL struggled in the first few miles she was very strong toward the end. A confidence boosting run for her as that's the best she's felt since she got the lady sniffles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Anymore pre-Boston prep races on the agenda?

blockic wrote: »
    Anymore pre-Boston prep races on the agenda?

Bohermeen HM

Bohermeen HM

Like meself! Shall see ya there, I'll hang around for ya at the finish! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Love it!

Pffft... The kids of today, no respect for their elders....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Pffft... The kids of today, no respect for their elders....;)

Get your bird to sort him out :pac:

RayCun wrote: »

Get your bird to sort him out :pac:

She's on it, blokic will be getting a strongly worded letter! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

She's on it, blokic will be getting a strongly worded letter! ;)

He obviously doesn't know of your sandbagging abilities either :)

pistol_75 wrote: »

He obviously doesn't know of your sandbagging abilities either :)

Well, as long as he finishes between 70-80 mins he should be safe ;)

• Advertisement

Well, as long as he finishes between 70-80 mins he should be safe ;)

Ah I'll scrape inside that...it's the 5km race we are doing right? :)

Advertisement