Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

blockic wrote: »

Ah I'll scrape inside that...it's the 5km race we are doing right? :)

Look, whatever happens just make sure you peak for Limerick ;)

Wednesday - Recovery - 6 miles at 8.55

Ran this tonight with The Foot and Injured-Arse- Stew...

Good chat, well myself and Meno had ;) Legs feeling bad but hope the recovery run refreshes them!

Thursday - Was looking like a change to an easy 5 after last night but CL arrived home with a steely look in her eyes and a determination to do what was on the plan. I reminded her that she couln't converse with myself and Arse-Stew on Wednesday whilst doing 8:55's but she was determined to banish that.

1 Mile w/up at 8:38

3 Miles at 7:14, 7:04, 7:01

1.6 Mile w/down at 8:30

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Thursday - Was looking like a change to an easy 5 after last night but CL arrived home with a steely look in her eyes and a determination to do what was on the plan. I reminded her that she couln't converse with myself and Arse-Stew on Wednesday whilst doing 8:55's but she was determined to banish that.

1 Mile w/up at 8:38

3 Miles at 7:14, 7:04, 7:01

1.6 Mile w/down at 8:30

Has CL finished yet??:p

Just awaiting the brekkie to digest before we head out for our first 20 miler of the Boston schedule..... Looking forward to it (well, getting it done anyway ;) )

• Advertisement

Saturday - Long Run - 20 Miles at 8:22
    I was a little tentative about this run as myself and my wing woman headed out with no real route planned. As we ran toward Marlay we saw a fair few runners with numbers on and remembered the urban trail race had taken place (which our own Thirstywork2 won, well done Kev :D)...

Anyway, we decided to do a couple of laps of Marlay. This tuned into 7 laps as we battled dog leads and snow.... I had a bit of pain in my right instep but this was because I'd had my shoes tied to tightly earlier in the week - Lunar Racers laces are sooo short!

I was pretty happy to be leaving Marlay with about 2.5 miles to go back to the house but felt quite strong. By the end the legs were tired and climbing the stairs to the shower was a little difficult (must get a Stair Master ;) )

Headed out to Ballsbridge for a few pints to watch the rugby and then we met up with our National 50K Champ and her fella for a nice Italian meal... All over a good day!

Instep was sore this morning but have looked after it with Diclac, compression, icing, compression and heading out now for a short recovery which will hopefully will ease the legs and have no effects on the foot!

Sunday - Recovery - 5 Miles at 8:46

Really wanted to get out and run despite the tired legs and slightly dodgy foot... Legs creaky but foot no worse than last night/this morning so all okay! CL has become genuinely freaked out by dogs on leads... If a dog moves remotely out of line as she approaches she's almost calling the cops, it's gas :D

So, to wrap on last week, just over 53 miles which might actually be my second highest week ever....:)

Monday - Aerobic - 6 miles @ 7:29 & .5 of a mile w/down @8:58 - Plan was for 6 @ between 7:30 and 7:50 but myself and the mojo-finder got into a rhythm where our footfall was the same and we drove each other on a little faster. Legs felt a bit crampy during the last 2 miles which were uphill.

Splits as follows - 7:47, 7:39, 7:17, 7:25, 7:29, 7:21

From an aerobic perspective I felt fine during this run but the legs are certainly feeling the strain of the increase in mileage. I feel that I'm pushing myself but in the correct way and if I steer clear of injury I might knock out some interesting times during the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Digs, what are your various training paces?
    Just trying to tally them up with mine (a la metric) to try and hang onto your coat tails!

belcarra wrote: »
    Digs, what are your various training paces?
    Just trying to tally them up with mine (a la metric) to try and hang onto your coat tails!

Pretty much whatever I decide on any given night :D I'm beginning to find some discipline though ;) The paces we run to can have a spread of 15 - 45 secs in each bracket to allow for conditions, how we are feeling, previous race, upcoming race etc. etc. So there are no 16 weeks out set paces.... God hands them out each week and we obey ;) At this stage though *we see the midweek long run and the weekend long run as second and most important runs respectively. Like Berlin, those longer runs will begin to have some juicy PMP and HM pace miles thrown in soon enough!!

* For clarity, "We" = The Coach,TRR... The Manager, digdig... The Foot, CL

• Advertisement

Tuesday - MLR - 14 miles @ 8.33

Sweet divine jay5us, this felt tough. Wore the Ronin's as easier on my instep. Ran to Marlay, 4 laps, ran home. Last lap in Marlay was in the dark and thought I'd have to jump a gate to get out!

Anyway, It's done now and tonight will be all about a DVD served with popcorn and infused with cold cans of Guinness :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Anyway, It's done now and tonight will be all about a DVD served with popcorn and infused with cold cans of Guinness :)

I hate the way restaurants and coffee shops use the word "infused" but in your scenario I give it the 2 thumbs up :)

Wednesday - Recovery - 4 miles @ 8:21

Legs were shattered last night after the 14 mile mlr to the extent that I couldn't enjoy the Guinness and DVD! Cue this evening and I bounded out for a 4 mile recovery run, felt much better but would like to see an improvement in the legs for Bohermeen so I can do myself justice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Wednesday - Recovery - 4 miles @ 8:21

Legs were shattered last night after the 14 mile mlr to the extent that I couldn't enjoy the Guinness and DVD! Cue this evening and I bounded out for a 4 mile recovery run, felt much better but would like to see an improvement in the legs for Bohermeen so I can do myself justice!

That recovery time is my 10k time :rolleyes:
    You should've taken some pain killers and mixed it with the Guinness. The DVD would've been seriously entertaining.

rasher_m wrote: »

That recovery time is my 10k time :rolleyes:
    You should've taken some pain killers and mixed it with the Guinness. The DVD would've been seriously entertaining.

I might have to if my legs and feet don't improve! Is anyone else finding their feet are a bit fooked at the moment or is it just because I live with "The Foot"? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I might have to if my legs and feet don't improve! Is anyone else finding their feet are a bit fooked at the moment or is it just because I live with "The Foot"? ;)

pre-taper taper madness is all

PaulieC wrote: »

pre-taper taper madness is all

Something weird going on, the toe beside the little toe started fitting this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Something weird going on, the toe beside the little toe started fitting this morning!

Fitting where?

... no, on second thoughts, don't answer that :eek:

RayCun wrote: »

Fitting where?

... no, on second thoughts, don't answer that :eek:

Haha, might be an interesting road trip to Bohermeen :)

Thursday - Easy - 6.5 Miles at 8.15

• Advertisement

Friday - Rest - And well deserved too even if I say so myself ;)

An interesting observation from yesterday was that I tried to wear my Lunar Racers but I really struggled to get my right foot in with the slight swelling on the top of my instep (they are quite tight anyway) and when I put my left foot in, the 'fitting' toe started to go all funny again and I had to change to the Ronin's! I'd planned to wear the Lunar Racers on Sunday but may have to re-think that. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Give your calves a good rub out, when my calves are tight, i get pains and cramps in my toes and feet!!!:(

Younganne wrote: »
    Give your calves a good rub out, when my calves are tight, i get pains and cramps in my toes and feet!!!:(

CL, are you listening to what Anne is telling you to do for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Give cl a good rub, when my OH's calves are tight, i get sympathy pains and cramps in my toes and feet!!!:(

CL, are you listening to what Anne is telling me to do for you?

Certainly am. Loud and clear. Thanks Anne. Who'd have thought that providing me with a full body massage would banish all of Digdig's woes?! Amazing!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Give cl a good rub, when my OH's calves are tight, i get sympathy pains and cramps in my toes and feet!!!:(

CL, are you listening to what Anne is telling me to do for you?

Certainly am. Loud and clear. Thanks Anne. Who'd have thought that providing me with a full body massage would banish all of Digdig's woes?! :D

Saturday - Recovery - 2.5 miles at 8:47 followed by 1.6KM's at 6:37 with my Daughter (she's a bit younger than me so I had to go metric ;))

I'm looking forward to Bohermeen tomorrow albeit not entirely relishing the pain! Good luck to all running that HM as well as the 10 miler in Ballycotton.

Saturday - Recovery - 2.5 miles at 8:47 followed by 1.6KM's at 6:37 with my Daughter (she's a bit younger than me so I had to go metric ;))

I'm looking forward to Bohermeen tomorrow albeit not entirely relishing the pain! Good luck to all running that HM as well as the 10 miler in Ballycotton.

That's a very handy mile by your daughter. Has she ran before?

TRR wrote: »
    That's a very handy mile by your daughter. Has she ran before?

Ha, bet you're regretting turning down the opportunity to join the latest HPU team now ;) The 6:37 was per KM but over a minute faster than when she tried running on her own last, that's what you call coaching :D

Ha, bet you're regretting turning down the opportunity to join the latest HPU team now ;) The 6:37 was per KM but over a minute faster than when she tried running on her own last, that's what you call coaching :D

Ha ha. Sorry read that wrong. Fair play to her anyway building up to a 5k is a great starting point

• Advertisement

Sunday - Bohermeen HM - New PB, sub 1:30, 13.1 miles in 1:28:07

I'd like to thank my parents, without whom I wouldn't be here. Special thanks goes to my amazing training partner claralara and last, but not least, to the Coach who used the threat of a chinky & heino fart this morning to spur me on to greatness!

What an amazing day, race report and hopefully world peace to follow! :D

Advertisement