Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

TRR wrote: »
    Are you going to get chicked tonight ;)
    wouldnt worry about being chickd,,,just dont get um1'd...,ur coaches name will be muck....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Tuesday - Bob Heffernan 5k - Was originally going to this to support CL and the other Boardsies but decided to do it myself and run hard. I knew I wasn't in shape to run anywhere close to my PB but wanted to get an idea of where I was. All in all I was very happy with the run, I didn't realise there wasn't a chip mat at the start and I started a little further back than usual so my chip time, when they put it up (there appears to be a lot of times missing and some completely wrong, i.e. CL started her watch when the gun went off and ran 18:48 but she's got a chip time of 19:05!!??) Will be maybe 4/5 seconds slower but I ran 19:38.

Although I ran hard I didn't empty out so I would reckon that I'm maybe 3/4 weeks away from getting under 19 again so that's a good sign I think. Some great runs by the other boardsies, drquirky, tang, JeremyBeedleyoube, blocky, wrstan, belcarra and meno who well and truly took the PB bragging rights back from me!

The plan for the week is a short recovery today, club session Thursday, short recovery Friday, track session Saturday morning and pacing the Strawberry half on Sunday.

Quick update - I finished 13th in my category but the winner of M45 ran 16:07.... Amazeballs!! Oh and I still have the family 5k PB by 1 second :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Hey Digger,

I don't think I've met you down the club yet...(I only joined in Jan) I usually just go to the Tue / Thur sessions but was wondering about the Saturday track ones....I was under the impression those are geared more for the faster lads....what's the set up usually like....do similar paced groups do sets with each other....(e.g do any mid packs guys/ girls show up that I could run with?!). Won't be down again until my current injury clears but interested in getting stuck into the track sessions later in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

statss wrote: »
    Hey Digger,

I don't think I've met you down the club yet...(I only joined in Jan) I usually just go to the Tue / Thur sessions but was wondering about the Saturday track ones....I was under the impression those are geared more for the faster lads....what's the set up usually like....do similar paced groups do sets with each other....(e.g do any mid packs guys/ girls show up that I could run with?!). Won't be down again until my current injury clears but interested in getting stuck into the track sessions later in the summer.

I am not sure digger goes down on saturdays so I might know a little more on this...I was opening the track last Saturday (let it be known I am not sportsworld ;)) so I observed the Sportsworld session.
    Seemed like they were doing 400's with about a minute rest though I'm sure this changes week on week. There were 4 distinct groups doing their reps together. The first had the speedy lads (16 min 5k'ers etc) and the last group had what I would estimate to be 22-25 minute 5k runners. There was a decent variation inside each of the 4 groups as well, some consistenly faster than others, so I doubt you would be out of place on that session.

From chatting to the people there were much less people on saturday than normal (Though I'd guess there were about 40 in total) with the 5 miler the next day, so I'd guess there are normally even more groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

menoscemo wrote: »
    I am not sure digger goes down on saturdays so I might know a little more on this...I was opening the track last Saturday (let it be known I am not sportsworld ;)) so I observed the Sportsworld session.
    Seemed like they were doing 400's with about a minute rest though I'm sure this changes week on week. There were 4 distinct groups doing their reps together. The first had the speedy lads (16 min 5k'ers etc) and the last group had what I would estimate to be 22-25 minute 5k runners. There was a decent variation inside each of the 4 groups as well, some consistenly faster than others, so I doubt you would be out of place on that session.

From chatting to the people there were much less people on saturday than normal (Though I'd guess there were about 40 in total) with the 5 miler the next day, so I'd guess there are normally even more groups.

ah sound Meno thanks, I'm nearish to breaking sub 20 5k so I wouldn't be out of place in the 3rd or 4th group....sounds like a typical Tuesday session, just on a track! Bit more of a hassle for me to get to it hence I wanted to make sure it would be beneficial for me before I commandeer the car off the missus :) Cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

statss wrote: »
    ah sound Meno thanks, I'm nearish to breaking sub 20 5k so I wouldn't be out of place in the 3rd or 4th group....sounds like a typical Tuesday session, just on a track! Bit more of a hassle for me to get to it hence I wanted to make sure it would be beneficial for me before I commandeer the car off the missus :) Cool.

Meno is spot on - I'm a member of Sportworld and the track sessions do accomodate a wide variety of runners from the very fast to the beginners! I must say they are great sessions to do and as they are generally short you will never be miles back from anyone!

Hope to see you down some time!

Jay5us, meno does security at Tallaght AC once and he's advising on Sportsworld's track sessions! ;) As geek says, mixed groups... The top guys did 4 sets of 400's last Saturday with 2 mins between sets and varying recovery times between each rep. Next group down did 3 sets of 400's

Wednesday - 3 Recovery - 3 @ 8:23, legs creaky and breathing was as heavy as the gathering clouds of doom when RQ gets ready to cycle to work :D

Thursday - Club session - Meno opened the gates to Bushy Park for this :D but the session had to be changed as there were a load of kids in the park (easy TRR) ;) So off we all went and did a w/up - steady run- w/down. CL had the family Garmin on so the paces and distances are approximate - 1 @ 8.15 - 2.5 @ 7.15 - 2 @ 8.15.

Legs were a little crampy during this session (after the 5k race on Tuesday) but all in all I feel like I'm getting back into shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

My nephew is one of those kids playing GAA, and my brother one of those adults running across their pitch :pac:
    At least I can bitch about the *(&^*&%^*&% GAA club without a family member pulling me up on it :)

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    My nephew is one of those kids playing GAA, and my brother one of those adults running across their pitch :pac:
    At least I can bitch about the *(&^*&%^*&% GAA club without a family member pulling me up on it :)

:D

Talking about relatives, how's the missus?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

not too bad. Looks like no injuries, but still some shock and stress

Saturday - Dragged CL's sorry a55 out of bed at 8ish and ran recovery up to Tallaght AC to watch our club session and back. Couldn't really help ourselves and joined in for a few bits..... 3.5 miles at 9.20 ish, 4 x 400's and 1 x 200 and then 3.5 home at 9.03 ish

Sunday - Paced 2 hours at The Strawberry Half in Enniscorthy, I woke up with the legs feeling slightly dodgy, I assume it was from the spin on the track on Saturday morning. Great weather, great race, paced with chinguetti (well, 2 out of 3 aint bad ;) ) blocky paced 1.45 with CL and belcarra and tang ran as well.

Monday - Met up with Meno for a recovery run, 4 miles at 9;03 pace

IlTuesday - BHAA 5 Mile - Dunboyne - 32:22

Continuing on with my rebuilding phase I took on the 5 mile confident of a PB as the previous one of 34:03 was soft (but not soft at the time, Sportsworld '11). I was still trying to figure out how I hadn't run a 5 mile in between but I had missed Raheny twice due to man flu and missed my own race twice as I was marshalling. Anyway, using last week's 19:38 5k as a starting point and following a process of consultation with the HPU it was decided to go for a 6:30 average but not be afraid to back off if it didn't feel right later in the race.

W/up and strides done and we were off, a slight uphill followed by a downhill for a few hundred metres and the usual jockeying for position meant the pace was a bit high for the first mile so I consolidated in 2/3. I had been passed by maybe 20 runners during this phase but I stuck to the plan. Around the end of mile 3 I was passed by a girl who went about 10 metres ahead, gradually I closed until I was on her shoulder, she seemed to ease off a little so I had push on again then passing another girl who had overtaken me. Up ahead was a third girl who had overtaken me earlier so my plan was to bridge the gap and sit on her shoulder for a while but unfortunately she had some wind issues and as soon as the hum hit me I'd no choice but to overtake her and push on.

In the last mile I took back another maybe 10 spots and was only passed twice and3 finished strongly for my 32:22. I was reasonably comfortable throughout, effort maybe 80%, until the "sprint" finh for the last 300 metres. Great performances by a host of boardsies, ter, drquirky, running king and CL who took the family PB in 31:33.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Well done Al, the comeback continues!
    I didn't bother calling over myself as it was a bit too close to the HM on Sunday and I still felt it a bit in the legs.
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    In the last mile I took back another maybe 10 spots and was only passed twice and3 finished strongly for my 32:22.
    So by extrapolation am I allowed claim a new PB of 32:59??:P
    I'm sure Meno will be along soon to verify this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

What's this about you chasing girls all last night...sounds like you were out on the town rather than running a race!

CL won't be a bit impressed.

blockic wrote: »
    What's this about you chasing girls all last night...sounds like you were out on the town rather than running a race!

:D Serves her right for being too far in front of me ;)

:D Serves her right for being too far in front of me ;)

Time to start sabotaging the food at home me thinks! ;)

Looks like you are ramping up nicely again, meno must be giving you some tips! ;) Good work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Was thinking the exact same myself, if the organisers could have strung another 10-20 women at equal 100 metre intervals in front of him he would have won the damn thing, broke the world record and probably have been arrested for indecent assault :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Ah sure ye're really all jealous of his pacing policy but afraid to say it.:D

• Advertisement

Wednesday - 4 mile recovery - 4 @ 8:31 - This was a strange run, felt grand early on but by mile 3 I felt a little dodgy. By the time the 4 miles clicked I felt wrecked, I was perspiring very heavily as well. I went into the house and felt quite shaky which had happened me once before a couple of years back. Anyway, got some food and fluid into me and that seemed to do the trick although I could have fallen asleep on my feet after.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Wednesday - 4 mile recovery - 4 @ 8:31 - This was a strange run, felt grand early on but by mile 3 I felt a little dodgy. By the time the 4 miles clicked I felt wrecked, I was perspiring very heavily as well. I went into the house and felt quite shaky which had happened me once before a couple of years back. Anyway, got some food and fluid into me and that seemed to do the trick although I could have fallen asleep on my feet after.

Blood sugar dude, did you skip lunch?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Blood sugar dude, did you skip lunch?

Hadn't eaten since breakfast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Hadn't eaten since breakfast!
    cud of been the roller bladin in leathers on a hot day;)

Didn't run today, felt bollixed from yesterday so made an ecumenical decision not to run! ;)

Didn't run today, felt bollixed from yesterday so made an ecumenical decision not to run! ;)

Bollaxed from a recovery run....classic!!! :D

Bollaxed from a recovery run....classic!!! :D

Haha, nuts alright! Anyway I've decided that the weird run on Wednesday was less about low blood sugars and more about the effect on my system of that bird farting all over me on Tuesday night's race!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Haha, nuts alright! Anyway I've decided that the weird run on Wednesday was less about low blood sugars and more about the effect on my system of that bird farting all over me on Tuesday night's race!! :D

for a milisecond I didn't know where the fook this one was going :D

Friday - A la carte - 4 Mile progression - 7:35, 7:04, 6:50 and 6:21

• Advertisement

Saturday - 6 Easy - 6 @ 8:53 - Nice easy run with CL, getting her ready for the women's bitchajogamunchie-thon :D

Advertisement