Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Great stuff A! Good to get a report from CL even if not directly regards her prep for Mondays lesbofest ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

TRR wrote: »
    Great stuff A! Good to get a report from CL even if not directly regards her prep for Mondays lesbofest ;)

Thanks D, yeh she's pretty tense alright. She's never walked 10k before and doesn't know if she has enough music on her iPod to get her through. She's also fretting about what to wear on the day, a fleece or a sweatshirt..... Decisions, decisions!

Sunday - 10 - 12 Miles 8 @ 8:43..... Was not feeling the love this morning. Generally achy all over, a little like the symptoms of what women think of as the flu. However, as I was able to walk, open my eyelids and had no need to call the priest, I knew it wasn't man-flu. Went off for a 4 mile loop and collected CL for the second 4. This should have been.a 10 -12 miler but that wouldn't have been sensible, as it was, I nearly gave up after the first 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Thanks D, yeh she's pretty tense alright. She's never walked 10k before and doesn't know if she has enough music on her iPod to get her through. She's also fretting about what to wear on the day, a fleece or a sweatshirt..... Decisions, decisions!

Just make sure the garment of choice is cotton. She should be grand then! ;)

Monday - Camera duty Lesbothon - Great day, CL did very well, lots of pints and we were joined by Meno'hanlonstew and his oul wan popped in to say hello before she headed off to cook the dinner for mrstew.

Tuesday - Club Session - w/up followed by 5 x 1,000 metre loops and w/down, legs stiffer then a priest at playtime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Good to meet you yesterday Digger....when I saw a chap I hadn't seen before in a Donadea 50k shirt surrounded by a group of ladies I just knew it had to be you....:pac:

statss wrote: »
    Good to meet you yesterday Digger....when I saw a chap I hadn't seen before in a Donadea 50k shirt surrounded by a group of ladies I just knew it had to be you....:pac:

Haha.... Good to put a face to the inetrnet weirdo name ;)

@ Ultraman .... Anto, please note the above, yet again I'm promoting the 50k!!! :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

@ Ultraman .... Anto, please note the above, yet again I'm promoting the 50k!!! :D;)

It would be great if you actually did the race one of these years, instead of just taking up a place (and a t-shirt) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

if u take CL's defer off her(,seeing dat ur name was on d cheque), ul have the next 3 50k races FOC(ish),,,,hope u told dem only d winner get a tee shirt;)
    will ye download 2x 5k entries for ur troubles and post/email dem to me,seeing ye are now honarary platinum club members;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

menoscemo wrote: »
    It would be great if you actually did the race one of these years, instead of just taking up a place (and a t-shirt) :rolleyes:
    in fairness his entry'S funded the free tea and coffe for the marshalls....

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »

I only start races that I'm going to finish ;):D

Wednesday - a la carte 4 mile progression - 7:50, 7:26, 6:45, 6:24

Thursday - Club session - Fartlek - Beautiful evening - As I had run hard enough on Tuesday and Wednesday and am planning on racing the 5k in Bohermeen this Saturday I decided on an easy run. I actually followed the Fartlek group and did the faster bits at an easier pace. Didn't feel great initially but warmed up nicely as it went on. Did a small w/down with statss. Total was 6 miles at 8:12 pace which included w/up and w/down.

Friday - Recovery - 4 @ 8:37 with strides at the end.

Saturday - Bohermeen 5k - 5k @ 19:32

I had originally decided to target this for getting close to 19 mins again but it wasn't to be. We had 75% moved house on the day so was a little weary getting to Bohermeen. Also did a 5k "warm up" with trr and Peter Mooney at 7.50 pace!!

Anyway, pushed hard but wasn't there on the day, splits to follow

sunday - 2 mile recovery at 8:30, was stuck for time but I wanted to get the legs moving after the 5k race.

Beer Mile practice, later in the evening, following a BBQ in my Dad's house I decided on some late practice for the beer mile. CL was getting a lift with my daughter and I challenged them to a "Man versus Car" race..... The running route was about 1k with the car route an additional .5k. With 3 cans of Heineken and 2 bottles of Corona on board I sprinted off, pretty soon my breathing was laboured but full of determination I kicked on. Bounding into the estate with no time for a sneaky peek over theboyblunder's back wall I gave it everything for the final push up the hill. I had made it, I had beaten the power of a car. They sheepishly approached a few minutes later and were greeted with the sight of me repeatedly kissing my guns :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

sunday - 2 mile recovery at 8:30, was stuck for time but I wanted to get the legs moving after the 5k race.

Beer Mile practice, later in the evening, following a BBQ in my Dad's house I decided on some late practice for the beer mile. CL was getting a lift with my daughter and I challenged them to a "Man versus Car" race..... The running route was about 1k with the car route an additional .5k. With 3 cans of Heineken and 2 bottles of Corona on board I sprinted off, pretty soon my breathing was laboured but full of determination I kicked on. Bounding into the estate with no time for a sneaky peek over theboyblunder's back wall I gave it everything for the final push up the hill. I had made it, I had beaten the power of a car. They sheepishly approached a few minutes later and were greeted with the sight of me repeatedly kissing my guns :D

You've been watching too much Top Gear :rolleyes:

Also can't believe you're moving and didn't tell us? And after all the decorating TBB did too..... so ungrateful!

jcsmum wrote: »
    You've been watching too much Top Gear :rolleyes:

Also can't believe you're moving and didn't tell us? And after all the decorating TBB did too..... so ungrateful!

It's all become a bit messy, TBB keeps switching his underwear drawer so It's becoming riskier now poking around for those extra few minutes. The silent alarm they have to Terenure Garda station is quite effective!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

jcsmum wrote: »
    Also can't believe you're moving and didn't tell us?

Sure you'd find out soon enough when you saw them peering over your back garden wall

Monday 6 - 8 Easy 7 @ 8:28, myself and CL headed out for this together, I found it quite tough, calf muscles very tight..... Following the 7 miles we did as follows.....

Half beer mile - Oh how we've dragged our estate down... Bottles of Miller stacked up at the front door and a 400m route marked, 200 out 200 back.... It is disgusting trying to run.having just chugged down a bottle of beer.... CL was either sandbagging or she'll be a disaster on Friday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Are you allowed to have a handful of salty peanuts for every bottle...perhaps that might help you along!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

So you move into a new house/area and then put some beer at the door and run around the place after drinking a bottle as quick as you can? I'ld love to see what the locals think of the new arrivals in the area.:pac:

chinguetti wrote: »
    So you move into a new house/area and then put some beer at the door and run around the place after drinking a bottle as quick as you can? I'ld love to see what the locals think of the new arrivals in the area.:pac:

No spaggy, my legal advisor is too smart for that.... We haven't moved yet so will be leaving our shreaded reputation behind for tbb to try justify to the neighbours... In fact, looks like we may be joined by Meno tomorrow night for the final session before taper! ;):D

Tuesday - 6 Easy - 6.5 at 8:24... Felt much better tonight. Just had a look at the beer mile thread and all the talk of beer and I was off to the fridge... Got CL to time me necking a Miller (albeit too cold) 31 seconds.... Desperately slow, I'm sure I'd knock back a pint of Guinness and a packet of Manhattan peanuts quicker ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

No spaggy, my legal advisor is too smart for that.... We haven't moved yet so will be leaving our shreaded reputation behind for tbb to try justify to the neighbours... In fact, looks like we may be joined by Meno tomorrow night for the final session before taper! ;):D

Well thats one way to turn the neighbours against you. Didn't they call that 'taking to the mattresses' in the Godfather?

chinguetti wrote: »
    Well thats one way to turn the neighbours against you. Didn't they call that 'taking to the mattresses' in the Godfather?

I really don't want Meno and mattresses in the same thought bubble :eek:

Please note - I am expressing a personal opinion here and no inference should be taken that Meno is not a fine catch, he's just not my cup of tea. Please note, the fact that I used the word tea as opposed to coffee should not be taken to mean that I support tea any more than coffee.

Wednesday - 5 Miles Easy - 5 @ 8;24 I think. Meno'hanlon came up to the gaff for this, he was doubling up as he'd done 5 in the morning. The 5 miles easy was really just a precursor for CL and Meno'hanlon's final (maybe) Beer Mile practice.... This run was easy - Now onto the good stuff :D

Beer Mile update -

Maybe it's because we are moving out or maybe because of the personal endorsement by Josh Harris (beer mile world record holder and all round God to those of us partaking in this most ancient of events) that we became bolder tonight and brought the beers out to the grass verge. I was on stopwatch duty and when the guys were finished I was going to time myself knocking back a beer but not running.

Meno'hanlon's top had gotten wet on the 5 miler so I gave him what amounted to a belly top, mass counselling needed for my poor neighbours, I'll leave you to schedule tbb. The gun went off and straight away Meno was draining the Corona @ 355 mls by the way ;).... Hapazardly he fooked the bottle onto the verge and bounced off with that jaunty gait of his. CL on the other hand was struggling with the beer, this lifted my spirits for success in the 'family race'. Eventually after about three quarters of an hour she finished and set off. Meno bopped back into view but was somewhat slower necking the second beer (he later went into great detail as to the reason why, but I wasn't listening to him :D) Bottle emptied and off he went again. CL arrived back calling it a day, she would preserve herself for the big day. I'm not sure if she's taking the complete pi55 and sandbagging as she was a fairly capable beer drinker in her day.

Anyway, Meno came over the finish line not far off 4 minutes and given the course that's as good as a 3:55, he's since happily edited his goal time for the race. I grabbed the other Corona (also with 355 mls in it :D) and handed CL the stopwatch. I found it a struggle and although timed at 31 seconds (as per my previous try) this bottle had an additional 55 mls so I'm going in the right direction. Although I hadn't intended to run, bottle drained and in a moment of madness I took off to gasps from my audience. What a sight, tracksuit bottoms and black Inov8's on...:eek: My time for the beer quarter was about 2:10 maybe??

Later, Meno'hanlon talked me through my lack of technique on the bottle angle and advised me on the necessary adjustment, he could be a real star of the future. In fact, he's nailed on for an Olympic gold if they ever admit The Beer and Meanies Mile ;)

All in all a very helpful exercise and a great bit of craic. I think it's fair to say that we are all really looking forward to the event. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

What are the event details, i.e. time & place?
    I tuned out of the thread a few weeks ago when it was due to be on the same day as portumna (didn't want to get distracted in my own training yet subconsciously i think I trained with the beer mile in mind rather than a marathon!).
    I see it has now moved to tomorrow evening but when and where? I may be available for vomit clean-up duties...(not!).

belcarra wrote: »
    What are the event details, i.e. time & place?
    I tuned out of the thread a few weeks ago when it was due to be on the same day as portumna (didn't want to get distracted in my own training yet subconsciously i think I trained with the beer mile in mind rather than a marathon!).
    I see it has now moved to tomorrow evening but when and where? I may be available for vomit clean-up duties...(not!).

Will PM you the details

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I was talking to RealO'Hanlon on Tuesday night and telling him about the event. He was saying how someone had tried to recruit him to do it. So as you can see word had spread far and wide of this event.

Good luck with it :)

Advertisement