Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

pistol_75 wrote: »
    I was talking to RealO'Hanlon on Tuesday night and telling him about the event. He was saying how someone had tried to recruit him to do it. So as you can see word had spread far and wide of this event.

Good luck with it :)

I'm looking at Meno...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Friday – National BeerMile Championship

A dirty filthy evening greeted the athletes as we entered the secret location and huddled together under the cover of the tree canopy. There was nervous tension crackling in the air as the competitors greeted each other, nuns, pirates, hookers and zombies exchanged pleasantries with runners dressed in more traditional technical attire.

We made our way onto the track for a warm-up, my zombie suit getting heavier by the minute with the driving rain was of less concern than my make-up running. CL the stripper with bouncing blonde curls dancing around a radiant smile literally couldn’t wait for this race. We had practised hard, night after night necking beers of different sizes, tastes, alcohol content and country of origin. We sought out the most suitable poison whilst adjusting to the ever increasing clamour for absolute adherence to the world rules. Meno’froth had come up to chez diglara to practice a beer half, there had been talk of fizziness, dizziness and angle of bottle.

Beers 2,3 and 4 now laid out on the track, groups of three like soldiers awaiting the battle cry, the first bottle in hand and the opener poised when our fantastic race director drquirky gave the shout. Bottle tops clicked like tap dancers , the glug, glug, glugs interrupted by the odd audible belch and then an empty thrown and off shoots yellow feather, a bird leading the race!!! TRR dressed as apirate set off in pursuit, it was only a matter of time……

I struggled on the first beer and set off nearer the back of the pack than the front, I was okay with this as it had been my general race strategy. Transition, beer 2, slow again but picked up the pace on the run and began to pass some runners, rounding the top bend I came into transition about 15 metres behind CL and was surprised to see meno’froth still there, he threw the bottle then shortly after threw up the contents….. I have to say at this point I literally laughed my ass off :D Lap 3 and the pirate was flying, wind milling down the back straight powering to a world record that Long John Silver would be proud of. I was gaining on CL but then she started to pull away again. Iwas very aware of my breathing and trying to balance running as fast as I could without ever risking a puke, again I gained on the straight and we came into the last transition together. Beer 4 at the ready, I gave CL a cheers as we clinked bottles, both feeling let the best hooker/zombie win and off she set. It was an exercise in expert sniping, I sat in behind her shoulder, enjoying the sightof a hooker’s ar5e without a pang of guilt, 150 metres to go and I turned onthe zombie burners…… Eat my dead dust CL….. Eat my dead dust meno’froth :D;)

An amazing event and one which I would urge all of you reading this to do if you ever get a chance. Not often would you see a 1,2,3 of a pirate, a clown and a nun :D Brilliantly organised by drquirky, not an easy thing to do when you need to keep the event so quiet, hence the lack of an advertisement in Irish Runner;)

Great craic in the pub afterwards, lots of great stories but the best ones must have been told by yellow feather as she seemed to constantly have a large group around her :D Thanks also must go out to the helpers, spectators, photographers and videographers who braved desperate weather to assist in this wonderful production, MS, pconn, ultraman, kurt godel, mrsquirky, mrskillerz, emer911, daughter911 and anyone else I left out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

For the record; I 'frothed' after the 3rd beer :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

A cracking piece of literature digger, one which I hope Mrs. Obama will be observing in the long room in trinners today. :pac:

Sunday – Raheny Summer5k – Race Report

I had no real intention of doing this until I heard onThursday night that the club were putting teams in and they wanted myself andCL to run. Despite the impending doom ofa Beer Mile ahead the following day we agreed to do it. Sunday morning saw both of us awake a littleworse for wear following our Friday night exploits and despite breakfast and anice relaxed journey out to St Anne’s Park we were still feeling ropey. We met up with Frothy the Snowman and drquirky,they were also in bits so there was safety in numbers. Great to see lots of Sportsworld and Tallaghtrunners out but no real sign of the grass trackers, maybe preparing for nextyear’s Meet and Train ;)

The gun went and I started off quite quickly up the mainavenue before easing back to a more suitable pace. My plan had been to again get as close to 19as I could so despite seeing Frothy ahead of me and CL ahead of him I concentratedon my watch. I went by RQ (why did you start so fast??) picked off a couple of my lady clubmates around 1k and then just concentratedof bridging a gap here, overtaking someone there. My breathing was quite heavy around the 3kmark but again I picked off more runners and a few from my own club (albeit onevery good runner who’d been on the pi55 the night before and he gave me a greatshout of encouragement). The watchhovered around an average pace of 6:06/6:07 so I knew that a 19 was there orthereabouts. I pushed hard over the final 2k seeing thewatch go down as low as a 6:04 average but as I came down the finishingstraight the clock ticked over the 19 and I crossed in 19:04. 6:04 average pace with 3.15k measured.

Very happy with the run, 28 seconds quicker than last weekand only 17 seconds of my PB so all still heading in the right direction. Legsfelt quite strong but it was the breathing that held me back from somethingquicker. Great run by Frothy who finishedjust ahead of me but especially CL who came 3rd in the Ladies openrace in 18:48 (matching her PB) leading her club home and weare hopeful she won the Dublin Novice… Fingers crossed on that one.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    For the record; I 'frothed' after the 3rd beer :o

Read it again Frothy the Snowman and you'll see I was referring to the third beer... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Great craic in the pub afterwards, lots of great stories but the best onesmust have been told by yellow feather as she seemed to constantly have a largegroup around her :D

She must have had some titillating stories all right! I'm glad you noticed the windmills, nobody else did. I nearly dislocated my shoulder I was doing them so vigorously.

TRR wrote: »
    She must have had some titillating stories all right! I nearly dislocated my shoulder I was doing myself so vigorously.

FYP :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

A great weekend in the land of Digger:D
    Your Beer Mile race report would be topped off nicely with one of those photos I sent you, I think you should run all your races dressed as a zombie:)
    She must have had some titillating stories all right! I'm glad you noticed the windmills, nobody else did. I nearly dislocated my shoulder I was doing them so vigorously.

I also noticed your wind-milling TRR, you started with about 200M to go, very impressive indeed:D You should speak to Aimann about trademarking and copy-writing, he is gaining notoriety with his Leaps Of Faith at the finish line:) it's only a matter of time before somebody tries to copy your windmills;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I went by RQ (why did you start so fast??)

Why did you start so slow ;)

• Advertisement

Tuesday - 10 Miles @ 8:04 - Very, very warm out there but felt okay, desperate hayfever afterwards though. Finally succumbed to the dreaded anti histamines... Actually feel like a real zombie today!

Tuesday - 10 Miles @ 8:04 - Very, very warm out there but felt okay, desperate hayfever afterwards though. Finally succumbed to the dreaded anti histamines... Actually feel like a real zombie today!

+1 hayfever is killing me. Managed to get a nasal spray and some antihistamines yesterday and so far so good today.

+1 hayfever is killing me. Managed to get a nasal spray and some antihistamines yesterday and so far so good today.

I have that horrible ''out of body'' experience going on and could literally fall asleep standing up!

I have that horrible ''out of body'' experience going on and could literally fall asleep standing up!

feel your pain, I have actually used antihistamines as sleeping tablets in the past they hit me so hard

Wednesday - No running - Cross trained by moving house

Not sure if I'll get a run in this evening as more to do with the house move, not too worried tbh as the body is a bit battered.

This log should be re-named ''The sound of silence''....

So, I've been tipping away with my running, very busy with work, moving house and a holiday hence my lack of posting. Was in Lake Garda the week before last with The Foot and got the mileage back up to a respectable total. Didn't do a huge amount last week but as we were running the Achill half it didn't bother me too much and I'd had a niggle. As a result of this I decided to trot around Achill at maybe 7:45 - 8:00 pace and just enjoy it. I'd been told it's a few minutes slower than a flat half and as I wasn't in sub 1:30 shape anyway I thought this was the best course of action.

It was a grey, misty, raing and cold morning on Saturday as we made our way to the start line. Word was that everywhere else in Ireland was bathed in sunshine. There was a strong look to the front end of both the mens and ladies race as the gun went off.....

I had changed my mind from the lead up to the race and decided to try run 7 minute miles for as long as I could. I was in or around 6:50 pace when I hit the bottom of the first hill at around a mile or so, holy jay5us, my calfs were screaming. I decided to ease right back as the thoughts of Boston washed over me and ended up running smoothly over the next 5/6 miles easing to a 7:30 average. The hills were tough and no matter how slowly I felt I was going up them I was still overtaking people, many of whom I'm sure had overtaken me on the first hill. In between the last two hills I picked the pace up again and finished at 7:19 pace for a 1:36.

Tough HM course, certainly not a PB track. Weather was good for running I guess but not for a weekend away. We had good craic with TRR and his missus who were sans enfants and CL ran very well in the ladies race. Problems with the measurement of the 10k course (short) as far as I know, issues with the wrong names printed on the bibs, start times delayed and problems with the chip timing and results have left me feeling it was a little bit amateur for an event of that cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

you want to start posing more, there wasn't a hint of double entendre or innuendo in that post.............

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Pity the weather wasn't sunshiny immediately before and after the race...and too bad there were issues with the mechanics of the race. I did the Achill half the two previous years and my only complaint was the walkers hogging up the front of the pack after they were clearly instructed to start at the end. But...what a lovely island, if I do say so myself. And...what amazing desserts the Bee Hive serves up, especially a particular chocolate cake that had the most delicious cream nestled between the perfectly baked decadent layers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Yup I am also suffering with the ould hayfever. Its really making me struggle with the runs and wanting to do bike training indoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

What's the next Goal race digger?

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »
    What's the next Goal race digger?

Not sure Pete, might try find another 5k, maybe even a Parkrun

Edit ; Think I'm down to run the National Half for the club... Must check the dates. Crocked this morning with a recurrence of a back of the knee niggle..Grrr... No running for me for a day or two

Recovery run Wednesday - The back of the knee niggle cleared up quickly and I decided to sample the roads on my new doorstep so headed off for a receovery run. From the house to the end of the army firing range and back, 5.2 miles at 8:44 pace. It was so hot the soles of my running shoes were sticking to the tar.

Legs still a little wrecked from Achill, hamstrings and quads are tender, pretty much the same areas (albeit not near as sore) as after Boston. In fact, Achill is not unlike a mini Boston, well, without the screaming spectators, the sunshine and the jet lag :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Its really making me struggle with the runs

T.M.I. Dude :eek:

Quick update....

No running for me at all since Wednesday, had very bad hayfever which may have turned into or contributed to a likely sinus infection.... Was made to book an appointment with the Doc this morning. Felling miserable, I may have found something even worse than man flu ... If that were possible!

Quick update....

No running for me at all since Wednesday, had very bad hayfever which may have turned into or contributed to a likely sinus infection.... Was made to book an appointment with the Doc this morning. Felling miserable, I may have found something even worse than man flu ... If that were possible!

Holy $hitballs, we need to quarantine this man. I'm sure he's harbouring a few exotic STIs as well so we will be killing 2 birds with one stone. Just the way digger likes it ;)

Ok.... Just back from the Doc...

1. He said nothing is worse than man flu!

2. I'm on Augmentum for the next 10 days

Monday - Only easy runs for me whilst on the antibiotics so 5 @ 9.04 up the mountains. Found this tough enough and the legs were a little weary. Likely I'll do a flat run tonight and compare effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Monday - Only easy runs for me whilst on the antibiotics so 5 @ 9.04 up the mountains. Found this tough enough and the legs were a little weary. Likely I'll do a flat run tonight and compare effort.

Why don't you take a few days off and recover? :confused:

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Why don't you take a few days off and recover? :confused:

Yep, good point, see post below! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Tuesday - 5 Miles easy - When I say easy, this was up the mountains so 9 min/miles is not easy exactly. Very heavy legged again and seem to be exhausted all the time. I think the smart thing to do is to take a few days off and allow myself to either adjust to the meds or let the meds take some effect.

Advertisement