Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Update.... Nearing the end of the 10 days of antibiotics and yesterday was the first day that I felt a little improvement. Went up to Belfast for the 24hr on Fri/Sat.... Some fantastic performances. CL was a guest on the Donadea relay team, they set a new relay record of about 183/184 miles covered. Also great runs by belcarra, Oisin, hot to trot and the men's winner enduro!

Tried a 3 mile trot on the Saturday afternoon, packed it in after a mile and a half, was just too tired...

Hoping to run by the end of this week again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Update.... Nearing the end of the 10 days of antibiotics and yesterday was the first day that I felt a little improvement. Went up to Belfast for the 24hr on Fri/Sat.... Some fantastic performances. CL was a guest on the Donadea relay team, they set a new relay record of about 183/184 miles covered. Also great runs by belcarra, Oisin, hot to trot and the men's winner enduro!

Tried a 3 mile trot on the Saturday afternoon, packed it in after a mile and a half, was just too tired...

Hoping to run by the end of this week again!

Antibiotics knock the sh1te out of you, what's the rush, get well and run when you feel strong, simples ;)

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Antibiotics knock the sh1te out of you, what's the rush, get well and run when you feel strong, simples ;)

There is no major rush, just have to start my block for DCM but no problem with another week or two on that score. I've very rarely taken antibiotics and did so reluctantly on this occasion.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I've very rarely taken antibiotics and did so reluctantly on this occasion.....

I was on a dose of them back in February, a real case of the cure being worse than the disease. :(

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I was on a dose of them back in February, a real case of the cure being worse than the disease. :(

Well, I'm hoping this ''lethargy'' disappears pretty quickly.... Last two to take today!

• Advertisement

Sunday - Despite the frustration of not being up to running, I at least thought the rest would sort out a niggle I've had for a couple of months (pain in the back of my heel) So, out I went yesterday and did 7 @ 8 min pace, legs felt ropey for the first couple of miles and I guess I never felt comfortable thereafter.

The rest hasn't sorted out the niggle as my heel was pretty sore last night. I'm hoping it may be calf related and I'm off for a massage tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I've had a bit of that for the last couple of weeks. I've been rolling a squash ball under my foot for a few minutes each day, seems to be helping.

RayCun wrote: »
    I've had a bit of that for the last couple of weeks. I've been rolling a squash ball under my foot for a few minutes each day, seems to be helping.

More around the subtalular (if that's remotely the right word) area for me ray.... I have been wearing neutral shoes more recently so that could be a factor although I only have it on one side...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

For me, the problem goes all the way round from the base of my foot into my calf. I'm attacking from both ends, base of the foot and achilles stretches

Tuesday - 3 miles easy

I spent quite a bit of time with Gary in AK trying different solutions. What was clear from the video was that the left side was fine but the right foot/ankle was collapsing slightly. The trick was trying to find something similar to what I've been wearing,lightweight with 4 - 8 drop, that helped correct. Not an easy task.

DS Trainers certainly helped but they are a very chunky shoe and certainly not the drop I was looking for. In the end I decided on a pair of Faas 600 V2, they appeared to be a bit better than the Kinvaras and seem to have a bit more to the upper which might also help.

There"s ultimately been a clear change to my gait over the last 18 months with far less pronation evident, most likely down to the strengthening of the feet. That said, if this issue on the right side continues I will nurse myself back to the likes of the DS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Sorry to hear about the niggle stalker no. 1

I had PF for eight months. Five weeks off did nothing, Obsessive rolling of a tennis ball at home and in office really helped and got rid of it in a few weeks
    Hope it clears up soon

Sorry to hear about the niggle stalker no. 1

I had PF for eight months. Five weeks off did nothing, Obsessive rolling of a tennis ball at home and in office really helped and got rid of it in a few weeks
    Hope it clears up soon

Thanks tbb.....

Since we moved we really miss you...

Those nights of lurking in the back garden, the tension mounting, the electric excitement as you finally do the bedtime routine and turn off the lights in the house and then.... faces daubed with green and brown, infra red goggles on.... We slip, silently, like charcoal shadows, into your underwear drawer :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

yep - I have a niggle between the PF and heel - thought it was the PF but seems to be focused on the heel now.

Bought a pair of these in Boots today (expensive)
    http://www.fs6.com/index.html

will see how I get on with them.

Wednesday - Still running in the fookin hills!! 8.5 km at about 8:50 per mile pace.... This run was a sizeable net downhill but I took it easy on the descent to protect my knees and myself from the crazy knackers taking shortcuts over the mountains in their Civics....Skobies!

Bought a pair of these in Boots today (expensive) [/QUOTE]

When I read that first I thought Boots were now selling runners!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

yep - I have a niggle between the PF and heel - thought it was the PF but seems to be focused on the heel now.

Bought a pair of these in Boots today (expensive)
    http://www.fs6.com/index.html

will see how I get on with them.

It's a zimmer frame he needs boots have them too: http://www.boots.com/en/Trionic-Deluxe-Rollator_1236574/

Saturday - 5 miles easy - 5 @ 9 min pace

Absolutely wrecked for this.... Going to do the same loop later so will hopefully be a different story.

Sunday 4 miles easy - 4.15 @ 9.07

So, despite my intention to run in the afternoon I followed CL out the door for a 4 mile loosener (she's doing the National Half tomorrow). I felt a bit better than yesterday but now I'm finished it's ridiculous how much perspiration is dripping off my face.

Anyway, as I mentioned in the post above, yesterday's run was awful and my breathing was way too hard for that pace. The good thing is that I have plenty of time to get back to normal as I've no real goal races until the end of September and even then would knock that on the head if necessary. I'll get a 10 miler in at 8 min pace over the next couple of weeks and that will tune me up for pacing the HM.

Other than that it's a case of carefully ramping up the mileage with what will turn out to probably be a 10 week Mara plan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I came in here to ask you if you were doing the marathon. Saw you're doing about as much training as I am and that you are. Now you're making me want to do it.

*Leaves thread and goes back to couch*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Here....make yourself useful now tomorrow and get a few good snaps of me! ;) :pac:

Just so my "curb crew" can relax and don't have to worry about taking photos if anything! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I came in here to ask you if you were doing the marathon. Saw you're doing about as much training as I am and that you are. Now you're making me want to do it.

*Leaves thread and goes back to couch*

Think he's pacing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Think he's pacing

So he is. Good luck to his pacees. :eek:

So he is. Good luck to his pacees. :eek:

They'll be in safe hands but I'll have to watch out for the road surface as they'll be too busy looking at Handsome Dave to watch where they are going! :)

Monday - Just moved the legs a little with CL who was doing a belated R 'n' R warm down......5 of a mile v slow and then .5 at about 6.30 pace and then another slow quarter mile.

Tuesday - 5 easy - 5 at 8.58

Breathing much better this evening and also registered much lower on the sn0tometer scale so that's a good sign. Legs still dead but one can't have everything ;)

Wednesday - No run - Work related

Thursday - 4 miles easy - 4 @ 8:45

Just back from an early 4 with CL (she's gone for a second loop) Definitely feeling stronger and very glad I'm sticking with the softly softly approach. Although at 5.50 A.M. I did suggest the possibility of doing 8 miles and received a solicitors letter at 5.53 A.M. :);)

Friday - 6 miles easy - 6 @ 9 min pace

I'm down in the rebel county with CL and set off on a 3 out 3 back plan. Jaysus, there are some savage hills around Douglas boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Friday - 6 miles easy - 6 @ 9 min pace

I'm down in the rebel county with CL and set off on a 3 out 3 back plan. Jaysus, there are some savage hills around Douglas boy.

Haha, that narrows it down a bit! ;) Grange and maryborough are brutes!

Try they harty quay loop of your looking or a 6 miler. Only over the road from ya.

blockic wrote: »
    Haha, that narrows it down a bit! ;) Grange and maryborough are brutes!

Try they harty quay loop of your looking or a 6 miler. Only over the road from ya.

Dead right horse, Maryborough was the first mile!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

SHould have headed out towards Passagewest, roads are flat out towards there, or even take the foot bridge over to Mahon (Just don't let CL bring shopping money or you'll be heading back solo to get the car).

Advertisement