Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

TRR wrote: »
    Well if she doesn't run a BIG pb it was because of her shenanigans last night! Bernie is a bad influence on her!!!

Are you still giving out? Old age really is making you bitter :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

ecoli wrote: »
    Are you still giving out? Old age really is making you bitter :pac:

old age has brought me wisdom. When I was once a young buck like CL I ran 4 races in a week and tweaked a hammer that still gives me problems to this day. I'm only thinking of digger, his head will be melted if she picks up an injury, she's not one to suffer in silence ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

she's not one to suffer in silence ;)

It would be unfair of me to keep it to myself! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

old age has brought me wisdom. When I was once a young buck like CL I ran 4 races in a week and tweaked a hammer that still gives me problems to this day. I'm only thinking of digger, his head will be melted if she picks up an injury, she's not one to suffer in silence ;)

Oh dear God, let's not even speak of such a thing.... I've enough struggles of my own at the moment without having to contemplate being dragged back to the darkest days of The Foot!! ;):D

The forced recovery continues.....

Wednesday - 10 Miles at 8:40 pace - Did this from the office and traced some of the Clontarf HM route (without having to pay €255 and gettting a sh1t ill-fitting 2 dolla t-shirt)..... This included some stuff on Dollymout Strand which was a nice change. For the most part I was in or around 8:55 pace but a few faster miles at the end (which was intended) brought the overall average to a pleasing enough 8:40. No breathing issues at all but although the legs were a bit kin-ackered, I definitely could have gone on for another few miles which is a good sign after the problems at the weekend.

I'm due to go get a physiology test over the next week and pending the outcome of that re; bloods etc. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing which is getting more sleep, drinking more water, eating a little more and taking my new SupplementStews.

Insofaras the immediate future is concerned, I have the Athlone HM this coming weekend..... No set-in-stone plans as yet but if I feel okay on the Saturday morning I'll push a little. If not feeling quite right I'll run the first 8 miles very easy and if okay at that point I'll churn out some progression miles at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Just as I started reading that post I was wondering if you'd had this checked out.

Feel your pain old man.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Mate what have you done to yourself that you need to have bloods taken? Everything ok I hope

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Mate what have you done to yourself that you need to have bloods taken? Everything ok I hope

It's his age. They take them regularly for the old folks, think it's to ensure their heart is still pumping blood to their veins or something

Update....

Saturday - Athlone Flatline Half - Started between the 1:50 and 2 hour pacers with a view to running the first 8 miles very conservatively and then pushing on for a progression 5 miles at the end. Quickly altered that plan as I found it all a bit tight in the first mile and also having to listen to some kn0bheads so moved on through the group and gradually closed on the 1:45 group. Although happy to run with this group I found it a little difficult to spot the road surface with so many bodies around so again kicked on.

Cam home in 1:42.... Could have run faster/harder but the exercise was to get myself ready in body and mind for the Dublin Half this coming weekend so that was accomplished. Rarely looked at the watch but the splits are pretty good....

Splits as follows.... 8:10, 8:04, 8:00, 7:49, 7:44, 7:51, 7:53, 7:56, 7:57, 7:37, 7:43, 7:39, 7:27

Sunday - Little recovery run... Maybe 2 miles

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - Up early for a 3 mile easy run, no ill effects from the weekend.

Away with work for a couple of days so it won't be easy getting an MLR in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

what group are you pacing on Sat? Might jump in somewhere as part of a LSR.

• Advertisement

what group are you pacing on Sat? Might jump in somewhere as part of a LSR.

1:50.....

Wednesday - No run - long long day at work in the UK

Thursday - 5 miles at 8:18 pace - This felt quite good.

Looking forward to pacing the half on Saturday with winningstew and her new son nornstew :D

Saturday - Dublin HM Pacing 1:50 - Did this with champstew and meno'froth..... We had a really good group and got the job done nicely. Obviously it goes without saying that it was desperately sad news about the guy who passed away, may he rest in peace. The one thing I'm focussing on with regard to that tragedy is that the bulk of the other runners are gaining fantastic health benefits by the regular exercise needed to train for a HM.

Another observation is that Drogheda and District AC did a great job of supporting and cheerleading, if only they could get their more portly runners to start in the correct waves it would be so so much better for all.....COP ON DROGHEDA!

Anyway, mini rant over, I had no issues with the heel either during or after the race but I did find it very very warm with the backpack. Legs again are feeling hammered, I have a 10 this evening and 18 on Friday so that will be and important indicator with regard to DCM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Saturday - Dublin HM Pacing 1:50 - Did this with champstew and meno'froth..... We had a really good group and got the job done nicely. Obviously it goes without saying that it was desperately sad news about the guy who passed away, may he rest in peace. The one thing I'm focussing on with regard to that tragedy is that the bulk of the other runners are gaining fantastic health benefits by the regular exercise needed to train for a HM.

Another observation is that Drogheda and District AC did a great job of supporting and cheerleading, if only they could get their more portly runners to start in the correct waves it would be so so much better for all.....COP ON DROGHEDA!

Anyway, mini rant over, I had no issues with the heel either during or after the race but I did find it very very warm with the backpack. Legs again are feeling hammered, I have a 10 this evening and 18 on Friday so that will be and important indicator with regard to DCM

I'm telling all the Drogs what you said. You can expect a large crowd around you on DCM day. A large crowd of large people...all dressed in red

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I've seen on a few threads that people are miffed at the Drogheda runners starting positions on Saturday. And yes, i saw them too as i started at the very back of wave 1 and passed the world of people who, as usual and no fault of the organisers, were in the wrong wave.

But if it angers people so much, can ye not go contact them directly and tell them how you feel? Or is that a totally mad point altogether?

chinguetti wrote: »

But if it angers people so much, can ye not go contact them directly and tell them how you feel? Or is that a totally mad point altogether?

Agreed, if it's such an issue maybe somebody should PM jackyback as he runs with the club and as far as I know trains some of the runners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Agreed, if it's such an issue maybe somebody should PM jackyback as he runs with the club and as far as I know trains some of the runners.

tbh I said just before the off that i would text Fran if I saw the same thing again on saturday but I didn't. Maybe because digger + MS were leading out the group at the time he ran into a line of runners (I was way back after the first mile due to congestion).
    It has been happening for years though, when I started at the front of wave 2 in the 5 miler about 3 years ago I passed a group of D&D runners lined across the road about 800m in. They were casuing a major road block...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

was funny with the 1:40 pace group.

Joe was in the process of telling me about Meno speaking on the way over about this very thing, when he actually ran into one of them going down the Khyber - obviously in the wrong wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

chinguetti wrote: »
    I've seen on a few threads that people are miffed at the Drogheda runners starting positions on Saturday. And yes, i saw them too as i started at the very back of wave 1 and passed the world of people who, as usual and no fault of the organisers, were in the wrong wave.

To be fair to the lads they are known for this. They are one of my neighbouring clubs and I run a lot of races with them in it and it has been said to them many times over the last few years, but nothing is ever done about it. During one of the cross country races last year, the womens race was before the mens race but some of the women were so slow we ended up lapping them in the mens race as the race starter couldn't wait for them to finish!

Jackyback needs to give them a fookin jockeyback ;)

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    I'm telling all the Drogs what you said. You can expect a large crowd around you on DCM day. A large crowd of large people...all dressed in red

Large being the operative word!

Edit - Can you believe that I missed your reference to 'large' which renders my, ahem, joke as pointless!

Tuesday - 4 Miles Easy - Hamstrings were tight after the HM on Saturday so took this one easy, 4 @ 8:41, felt very good though and no pain, just slight discomfort with the heel so if that trend continues I'll be happy.

Have the gear with me to run along the seafront from Clontarf after work. All going well I'll get a 10 miler in.

Wednesday - 10 Mile MLR

Slight change of plan saw me run this closer to home. I ran to Marlay and had completed 7.5 at about 8:40 pace when I was joined by my Daughter for a slow 2.5. She ended up managing 3.2 which was great as she's running Rathfarnham 5k this Sunday.....

Thursday - 3 Miles Recovery - 3 at 8:57 - This actually felt good, in fact, I'd nearly say that I'm kind of, sort of, slightly, maybe, starting to enjoy running again :pac:

I'm not even going to try open that in work.....;)

I'm not even going to try open that in work.....;)

ha it's clean!

Saturday - LSR 17 - 17 Miles at 8:41 - This was a strange run, I started off with the breathing a bit heavy but that corrected around the 4/5 mile point. Cue mile 6 and I got stung on the calf by a wasp (little b4stard).... I kept on running. I was doing clockwise loops of Marlay whilst CL (who was doing 24 miles at 7:35 pace) was going anti-clockwise so I began to notice a trend developing as the miles clicked by and we continued to pass each other, she became happier/more animated and I became less so on both counts. Anyway, got the 17 done and removed the offending sting. Legs did feel fairly wrecked after but got the calf and quad guards on straight away.

Sunday - Rathfarnham 5k Race - Personal Pacer to missdig - A couple of months back I had promised both my daughters a nice lunch if they trained for and completed the 5k in Rathfarnham (neither had run before). My eldest pretty much said no (although she did go running a few times) but my youngest took up the challenge as did CL's sister. The plan with missdig was that she'd try train to complete the 5k without walking. Her college committments and lengthy commute made things very difficult for her but she still managed to train whenever she could.

The target was set a couple of weeks ago as sub 35 but following a recent run in Marlay where she did 3.2 miles at around 10:30 pace we thought it was worth a go at a sub 30 and that is how it panned out.... 29:04! :)

Splits were 9:44, 9:44 and 8:40..... She finished out of breath and a little worried she was going to get sick but was delighted. She is already talking about her next race :D

CL's sister also did exceptionally well, running all the way from start to finish despite having been sick for the last week and still being on antibiotics.... I think we have two new runners for our community!!

As promised they were all treated to a nice lunch in Jamie's Italian and then myself and CL headed off to meet meno and family stews for a few beers and a 3-1 victory for my beloved reds....

Tuesday - 3 Miles - Easy Mini Progression - Weather was pretty crap out there this morning so I made up a run... Mile 1 @ 9:31, Mile 2 @ 8:48 and Mile 3 @ 8:10.

Plan is to do the Athlone 3/4 on Sunday which will get my first 20... Thanks Meno ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Plan is to do the Athlone 3/4 on Sunday which will get my first 20 19.65... Thanks Meno ;)

Don't be getting ahead of yourself mate!!;)

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    Don't be getting ahead of yourself mate!!;)

It will be 20 by the time I slow down having crossed the finish ;)

Advertisement