Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Just a quick thought I'd commit to print as it might be interesting to refer back to....

Over the last few months I haven't been in love with running at all. I think this has been mainly due to my legs constantly feeling wrecked and not being able to run without constant reminders of my heel pain. In general the weather has been great and all those easy runs that should have been an absolute pleasure just felt like a chore.

Very recently I began to look forward a little more to my run after work, the heel pain pretty much finally abated and although the legs were still wrecked it was more an achy feeling as opposed to anything acute.

So, cut to today, got my run in early this morning and am actually a little disappointed that I don't have a run to do this evening. Being aware of the ramp up in my mileage I am of course going to be sensible so I'll do some foam rolling instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

great stuff. sure pop down to the club later for a few easy laps if you get tempted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

What pace you planning on trotting around Athlone at the weekend?

pistol_75 wrote: »
    What pace you planning on trotting around Athlone at the weekend?

Probably 8:45

Wednesday - MLR - 10 Miles - 10 @ 8:41

Went over to the office early this morning and did 5 out the Clontarf Road and 5 back. All a bit groggy and stiff but got through it okay... Bumped into Beddleyoubarry looking very comfortable running downwind ;) and all in all a nice fresh morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Wednesday - MLR - 10 Miles - 10 @ 8:41

Went over to the office early this morning and did 5 out the Clontarf Road and 5 back. All a bit groggy and stiff but got through it okay... Bumped into Beddleyoubarry looking very comfortable running downwind ;) and all in all a nice fresh morning!

Was it windy this morning? I didn't notice :P

We must have ran almost identical routes as I'd only turned around on my out and back before I met you...

beeduybe wrote: »
    Was it windy this morning? I didn't notice :P

We must have ran almost identical routes as I'd only turned around on my out and back before I met you...

Well, I went from East Point out as far as the white house that's being renovated (near the one that's called Celtic Castle) and back

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Well, I went from East Point out as far as the white house that's being renovated (near the one that's called Celtic Castle) and back

No idea where that is but if you only started at East Point it must have been a good bit further down the road than where I turned.

Great to get in 10 miles before breakfast :)

Athlone 3/4 Marathon

Got an entry to this thanks to meno'hanlon as he was pacing (thanks meno)..... This run was to be the acid test with regards to pacing DCM..... Not going to say much about the run other then it was well organised, well marshalled and had a great array of jellies and fruit at the water stations. I completed it but didn't enjoy any of it apart from the finishing straight.

I've tried to keep the MLR's and LSR's progressing but the legs are just battered and I'm not messing around with the reputation of boardsie pacers so I'm out. Marthastew offered to pull out in solidarity but I told her I didn't want DCM 2013 to be remembered as the ugly marathon ;)

So, back to today..... Great craic in fairness, great turnout from my own club and it seemed that Burger King on the motorway service stop was just full of runners. Interestingly enough, meno'froth was given a bit of an intro to a ladyfriend-stew (not the one with thesix kids).... Watch this space for further info.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I've tried to keep the MLR's and LSR's progressing but the legs are just battered and I'm not messing around with the reputation of boardsie pacers so I'm out. Marthastew offered to pull out in solidarity but I told her I didn't want DCM 2013 to be remembered as the ugly marathon ;)

Ah pity about that digger, big loss in the handsomeness of the boardsie pacers this past week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Tempted as I am to pull out in solidarity I've decided that I will have to run it and try to comfort the pacees who will be traumatised by your loss;)
    The good news is that you can be official photographer to Claralara:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

(sings) how are we supposed to live without uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sorry to hear you're out digdig...you know it's for the best. No point in stressing the body out if its not right, 26 miles is still 26 miles.

Have you done blood tests, excessive rest etc? What's suffering more the legs or the head?

Sorry to hear you're out digdig...you know it's for the best. No point in stressing the body out if its not right, 26 miles is still 26 miles.

Have you done blood tests, excessive rest etc? What's suffering more the legs or the head?

Haven't done the tests yet....will do over the next week or so! It's the legs first and foremost and then the head follows.... There's just no enjoyment dragging achy legs around 20 miles of rolling hills (well, 19.65 miles before someone points it out ;) )

Anyway, an easy week ahead followed by some shorter faster stuff will make a nice change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Anyway, an easy week ahead followed by some shorter faster stuff will make a nice change.

Nice one, you need to start the fast stuff in training for that move into the M50 category soon anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

blockic wrote: »
    Nice one, you need to start the fast stuff in training for that move into the M50 category soon anyway.

He's only allowed on the motorway if he's accompanied by CL

Monday - 2 mile walk!! - Well, it was better than nothing and as if the DOMS wasn't bad enough this morning I had a 6 am drive to Cork and back. Anyway, CL's sister, fresh from her recent 5k heroics accompanied me on this and out of respect for her elder she didn't once swing the arms like a fitness walker ;)

Tuesday - 4 miles easy - 4 @ 8:53 - A little raggedy after the 3/4 but no niggles that would concern me so happy enough with that.

Wednesday - 2.5 miles @ 7:53 pace - Didn't have a huge amount of time and I did say I was going to mix things up a bit. So many of my runs over the last month have been in or around 8:50 pace that it was nice to do something a little faster. That said, the lungs were asking some questions..... It felt a little chilly out there!

Thursday - 6 @ 8.30 - Went to club with CL.... Ran with the group to where they were doing their sessions and ran laps with CL for her recovery. All good but felt a bit shivery going to bed... Was reasonably sure I'd wake up with a cold but nothing yet... Just as well as I'd be CLaurantined otherwise ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Hope the priest is on standby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Just as well as I'd be CLaurantined otherwise ;)

I think it's safe to assume she'd murder you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

TRR wrote: »
    I think it's safe to assume she'd murder you

I'd fookin incinerate him! The criminal investigation would be short and sweet. But I'm happy that with the justice system in this country, I'd be a free woman until at least October 29th. In fact, I'd give myself up freely then :D

Yes, it's true.... I'm back in as a DCM Pacer. Kurt Godel was losing pacers like Man Ure have been losing points. I also took some time to assess my Athlone 3/4.... It was done off the back of a week of poor sleeps, 12 hour days in work and 3/4 days of missed dinners and I still managed to run almost 20 miles.

Didn't run on Saturday, was out early enough and down to Donadea for the 10k... Some great running by the pirate and CL finished fresh in 4th with a new pb in the bag..... Please God she doesn't pick up an injury or illness between now and DCM as the Winter is long enough as it is;)

Sunday - 20 miles at 9.15 pace - So, I chose to do the race course loop.... This is tough with some climbs and drops, about 4.15 miles a loop so I did 3 of these plus and outer loop to bring up the 20. Although tough, I'm happy to have gotten though it although the legs are wrecked now. Basically since the day of the half I've upped my long runs as follows... 15, 17, 19.65, 20..... Off for pints now with CL and Meno, CL on the strict NOcktoberfest so I also have a designated driver :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

It was done off the back of a week of poor sleeps, 12 hour days in work and 3/4 days of missed dinners and I still managed to run almost 20 miles.

you were going to pull out of the marathon because you were tired ? Is that a valid injury these days ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Yes, it's true.... I'm back in as a DCM Pacer.

What time are you pacing? 4:00 / 4:10 / 4:15?
    I'm still undecided as to whether to run with a pace group or not (I'm not a fan of "the pressure"). Maybe I'll just end up deciding on the day, depending on who's in the crowd :P

Emer911 wrote: »
    I'm still undecided as to whether to run with a pace group or not (I'm not a fan of "the pressure"). Maybe I'll just end up deciding on the day, depending on who's in the crowd :P

I'm pacing 4.10.... You however should stick like glue to the extremely quiet marthastew and get your 3:59 ;)

Or, start just behind the 4 hr group, give yourself plenty of space, less pressure and then smoke them in the last mile :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Emer911 wrote: »

Pressure??? :eek: No one told me there was going to be pressure?? I thought the pacers were there to carry your water and gels and make sure you are comfy and have everything you need. Sort of like our very own sherpa. :confused:;):)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

PaulieC wrote: »
    you were going to pull out of the marathon because you were tired ? Is that a valid injury these days ? :D

I think he was PMSing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I think he was PMSing

I only realised yesterday it was illegal for me to have the higher testosterone levels of the pair of us?!! :eek:

Advertisement