Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Saturday P.M. - LSR - 11 miles at 8:34 - Surprisingly good run.... Happy to get my biggest weekly mileage since October with 28 miles so far... Blocky, that's 28 FREAKIN MILES!! ;):)

28 miles with a zimmer frame in the way is pretty impressive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Friday - 3 @ 8.30 - Weather was poor for this and although happy to get out the legs felt sh1te so abandoned the idea of the parkrun next morning.

Saturday A.M. - Drove out to St Annes in Raheny to watch CL, Momma-Stew and Frothy-The-Snowman run the Parkrun in the middle of their respective LSR's. Happpy report that CL won, I mean was first lady finisher, Momma-Stew won the silver, I mean was second lady finisher and Frothy had other things on his mind... Bishops Finger and Meanies!!

Saturday P.M. - LSR - 11 miles at 8:34 - Surprisingly good run.... Happy to get my biggest weekly mileage since October with 28 miles so far... Blocky, that's 28 FREAKIN MILES!! ;):)

Impressive Mileage :)

You should follow Blockys winter plan on the 2013 DCM graduates thread;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88022535&postcount=344

You are not quite up to that mileage yet but you are nearly there :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

belcarra wrote: »
    28 miles with a zimmer frame in the way is pretty impressive!

Yep, so is pacing a HM sub 1:40 ;)

Last week proved to be quite positive with runs on 5 of 7 days and a 28 mile total. That's about the cumulative sum of what I ran in the few weeks prior!!

Monday - 3 miles at 8:42, windy but mild... I need to do some stretching as the increase in mileage last week certainly left a mark with a bit of stiffness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

left a mark with a bit of stiffness.

:eek:

oh matron............

• Advertisement

December plus boozing does not equal good running....

Tuesday - 4 miles at 8:34 pace, very windy out there and the Officer was rather creaky!

Goal Mile tomorrow.... Major challenge for me not to get my ar5e handed to me on a plate at this distance by CL. I'd be confident if I was in reasonable shape but I'm not and wouldn't be hopeful of sustaining sub 6 pace for more than a lap!!

December 25th - Goal Mile - Smash Down - The Officer 'V' CL

1,2,3 and we were off, there were a few gob5hites in our way on the start line, Drogheda District types which we had to negotiate in the first 50 metres, duly done, I then had a clear view of CL putting the foot;) down..... The cold air and the need to suck in large amounts of it during the first lap played havoc with my throat. I was about 10 metres behind her crossing the line for the first time.

It really is a very different discipline and had a conversation with a Rathfarnham athlete afterwards (who ran 4:39) about not doing any speed work and jumping into this. He'd been training for the indoor season, lots of 800m training as opposed to me plodding 10 mile weeks until recently :D

Lap 2 and CL just kept winding it up, the gap grew and there was nothing I could do about it. Crossing the line I was maybe 20 metres down and starting to wonder why on earth I agreed to do this, thoughts of pulling out poured through my head. Penultimate lap but I was breathing like a cornered nun I headed down the back straight and passed two guys. Surely that will help me narrow the gap to CL but it had actually grown to about 35 metres heading into the final lap.

The last 400 metres brought a strange sense of relief in that the pain was almost over, I was getting hammered by CL but at least my watch (yes Fitzy I wore my Garmin :D) indicated I'd just about break 6 minutes and I'd have taken that beforehand. I started to concentrate on my form down the back straight and felt I was beginning to pick up pace. Running the entry to the top bend well, I had a quick look up and I'd closed the gap slightly. The head was now telling me to put everything in and ''It's better to be beaten by 15 metres than 25'' etc. etc. 200 metres to go and the now legendary Officer's snipe-kick was unleashed. I was visibly gaining, bit by bit and coming inside the last 100 metres I could see myself being beaten by less than maybe 10 metres, , a respectable performance, not bad all things considered I thought. But, I was fcuking flying and that old competitive streak, the one I thought I'd lost came flooding back like the music to Chariots Fire, I was closing the gap as quickly as Meno opens a pack of Meanies, 15, 12, 10, 9, 8 metres etc. I strained to see exactly where the finish line was, could I actually do this?? Knees lifting, guns pumping like well polished pistons, final push, dream land, angels flying overhead, hot cheerleaders screaming ''go digdig'' as I bounded by CL in the shadow of the line.... An expletive was screamed by her, I peeled off to the side of the track, something akin to meno-froth coughed over the fence.

5:54 and the mile trousers (for the time-being) are mine, all mine, muhahaha :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Fair play digger. When you think of all the pussies like blockic, auldmanking and meno who have had their arses handed to them by CL this year it's good that you clawed one back for the men ;)

By the way just goes to show what happens when you forget about the watch and race the last lap, just sayin!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

December 25th - Goal Mile - Smash Down - The Officer 'V' CL

as I bounded by CL in the shadow of the line....

I cant believe you drafted off CL and then pipped her on the line............:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Hahaha great read. I was both tense and laughing reading that last bit. Congrats on the result too. Some type of log title change to permanently enshrine the event might be appropriate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Taper now...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

A climactic finish with froth everywhere as officer and foot finish together... If someone else had written that report Digger might have made something of it... :-)

RayCun wrote: »
    A climactic finish with froth everywhere as officer and foot finish together... If someone else had written that report Digger might have made something of it... :-)

Haha, Tallaght AC - The Inside Track - A tale of stolen victories, cars and unplanned frothy pregnancies........

Thursday - 4.25 miles easy @ 8.36 - Nothing much to report on this one.... Flushing the legs out!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

12-letting-him-win.jpg?w=590

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

12-letting-him-win.jpg?w=590

classic but when it comes to racing between them there's no love lost :)

Saturday (I think) - 8 Miles @ 8:30 pace - Nothing much to report on this, accompanied CL on a recovery.......

Monday - 4 recovery... 4 @ 8:59

Tuesday - 5.5 miles at 8:26. I'm not quite sure how to feel about this run, in some respects it felt tougher than a 5.5 mile run at that pace should feel but not as tough as it should have considering the amount of booze and sh1te I've consumed over the last month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Tuesday - 5.5 miles at 8:26. I'm not quite sure how to feel about this run, in some respects it felt tougher than a 5.5 mile run at that pace should feel but not as tough as it should have considering the amount of booze and sh1te I've consumed over the last month.

Thought you were doing the trail marathon today?

• Advertisement

2013 Wrap-up

What a strange year 2013 has been. More lowlights than highlights for me..... The early part of the year saw a great block of training and breaking the 90 min barrier in the Bohermeen Half, 1.28.xx. That set me up nicely for around 3.10 in Boston but as I've posted here at length, Boston was a disaster, on target for 10 or 11 miles I fell asunder and fell home in 3.33. But Boston of course was more noticeable for another reason, the bomb attacks and the loss of life! RIP.

After Boston my legs just weren't the same, almost every run was a struggle. Continually sore and achy I quickly lost my running appetite. That malaise continued but I started to get back in some shape during the few evening 5k's they hold in the Meath area, getting to sub 20 again but not back to sub 19. The most enjoyable period of training for me I guess was the very disciplined Beer Mile training. In fact, I still laugh at the image of myself, Meno and CL "training" in the estate myself and CL lived in.... Classic stuff. The Beer Mile itself was a highlight, we had the video of encouragement from the World Record holder Josh Harris, the win by TRR and CL in their respective races. Me beating CL for the beer trousers and those who saw it will never forget the meno puke incident or as it became known, FROTHGATE.... Even ecoli's projectile paled into insignificance at that ;) The craic in the pub was brilliant afterwards and a great job done by dr quirky.

So, here we are, last day of 2013, I own the house Beer Mile and Goal Mile trousers but the rest of my PB's have been savaged by my partner, ash well ash my lurver CL. What joy it's been to watch her emerge in 2013.... The scalps she's taken, running king aka auldmanking, blocky, meno to name but a few ;) Her remarable dedication and discipline, her ability to balance the good life when appropriate and strict nutrition and hydration when necessary. And, of course, her amazing 9th place in DCM with a 2:57. 2013 has been a pleaure to watch that talent grow, ably assisted of course by the wonderful coaching of TRR.

2014, London is the main aim but no goal time has been decided yet. I'll most likely race the Raheny 5 but any thoughts of a sub 30 are long gone. If I get through a solid block of marathon training with lots of miles and no injuries then the Summer might be an interesting time to try wrestle back the 5k, 5 mile and 10k trousers from her indoors.

Happy running in 2014 folks!

menoscemo wrote: »
    Thought you were doing the trail marathon today?

I was persuaded not to with phrases like "you'd be bananas".... "it would be nuts"...... "Alan, you can fcuk right off if you think you are doing a marathon off 10 mile weeks"..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Al, with the recent trend for HADD type training around these parts would you consider this for an Autumn marathon training plan?
    You seem to have been struggling with injuries/motivation since Boston so maybe this controlled build-up would suit you?
    Of course it goes against the faster, shorter races that you seem more naturally suited to but it could result in a fast time in October for you...
    (That is of course if it actually works as so many people seem to lose faith and ditch it after a few months. That being said DukeofDromada and T-Runner seem to be giving it a good effort at the moment).

belcarra wrote: »
    Al, with the recent trend for HADD type training around these parts would you consider this for an Autumn marathon training plan?
    You seem to have been struggling with injuries/motivation since Boston so maybe this controlled build-up would suit you?
    Of course it goes against the faster, shorter races that you seem more naturally suited to but it could result in a fast time in October for you...
    (That is of course if it actually works as so many people seem to lose faith and ditch it after a few months. That being said DukeofDromada and T-Runner seem to be giving it a good effort at the moment).

I may never do another marathon after London John if I have a similar experience to Boston. I have pretty much trained for the last few years with little or no nutritional consideration. I don't fuel for MLR's or LSR's..... My water intake is sporadic at best and my love for Guinness and crisps is boundless ;) I need to improve that side of things and I suspect that will make quite a difference....

Edit - I should add John that the vast bulk of my training over the next few minths will be aerobic based so not a million miles away from HADD and I do intend to dust off the HRM. In fact, I may do a parkrun on Saturday to see where I am with max HR at the moment. My biggest question mark with regard to London is my goal time. Will I just aim for a PB and get inside 3:20, go for sub 3:15 or go for broke and try to a sub 3:10..... Maybe I should do a poll ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Alan, we all know you're capable of sub 3:10. Even at your advanced age.

Methinks, from reading your log and from O bitching about you ;) that you just don't follow the plan enough and get other ideas in your head (get bored?) while training towards a marathon. Yes? No?
    Do you think you can give 100% commitment to training for London and doing what you're told? If not, why not concentrate on what you do want to concentrate on..10ks or whatever, whack in a few longer runs and then just enjoy London?*

*Do as RQ say's not as RQ does....

*Do as RQ say's not as RQ does....

That last sentance saved you ;)

Prior to Boston I did a pretty good job of sticking to the plan although I can't deny that I get bored at the latter end of marathon training. I think also that I've done too much running on my own, I like to talk and have the craic whilst doing LSR's and although I find myself great company I know the punchlines to all my jokes ;)

It's quite some time since I've gone on an easy 8 minute 4 miler and bounced along happily. I need to repair from within and re-position some of my furniture :)

Anyway, onwards and upwards!

Wednesday - 4 mile recovery - 4 @ 8:50

Shoes - Hoka One One

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I need to repair from within and re-position some of my furniture :)

What on earth have you been smoking?!! I thought we were having a clean January... I BET you cannot stay off the Guinness until February 1st...:P;)

Fast update

Thursday - Day 2 - Still no Guinness or crisps - Beginning to hallucinate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Fast update

Thursday - Day 2 - Still no Guinness or crisps - Beginning to hallucinate

Hey dig, did you have family doing the goal mile in Tallaght? just looking through the Tallaght echo and I saw a pic of two ladies with matching surnames to you and your better half.

Advertisement