Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

That's been some bout of manflu. About 5 months now. Digger, you're an inspiration to be still going without any complaints.

He's a medical case example. The NIH & WHO have called him an inspiration. The Nobel committee are considering setting up a "heroic survival" award in his honour. The master of the coombe has brought him down to the maternity awards on a number of occasions to show the noisy women in the throws of labour that they have little to be complaining about. When Paul kimmage heard about digger he dropped the BOD autobiography so he could write diggers. As we speak Brendan Rodgers is tabling a transfer bid for digger as he says he needs an inspirational survivor like that in his squad. I could go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Saturday - Marlay Parkrun

A shocking reminder of my condition....

Okay, so the wind was howling and the rain was teeming and I was in shorts and a short sleeve top warming up, not at all pleasant. I managed to get my timing wrong on the warm-up and missed the start. I had to do quite a lot of weaving in the first half lap and on checking my watch I saw that it read 00:00:00, duh, I'd pressed reset and not start.

Managed to get the watch going and was at an average of 6:43 coming to maybe the end of mile one and my legs absolutely emptied. They literally were just about for standing on and nothing else.... At this point I also got rid of quite an amount of
    snot
    ....the rest was all about trying to keep going, even the downhill and downwind sections were awful. I took a detour at the end as I simply did not want to know my finish time and I'd started 10 - 20 seconds late anyway but the 7:21 average after 2.66 miles will tell you all you need to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

What were you expecting?

What were you expecting?

Sub 18... ;) Nah, I was going to zip around in maybe 20:30 - 20:50. To be honest, I'd no idea exactly where I was with the shorter stuff and given the fact that I'd had double man flu (As TRR referred to I may be the first man ever to have survived double man flu) but I was happy that I was at the tail end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Marlay is a tough 5k course digger. As soon as you leave the concert field that trail is slightly uphill, then there is the actual hill.....ive wanted to drop out both times ive ran by the time I got to the hill

Think of it as a rainy 5k tempo.....

• Advertisement

Sunday 10 Mile Yes 10 mile LSR - 10 at 8:21

So, my legs were feeling it as I headed up the stairs for bed last night and my original idea of getting the 10 in before setting the course up for the Meet And Train at 9 AM went out the window. Good night's sleep in prospect until my phone rang a little after midnight and myself and The Foot had to head up to pick up my youngest Daughter and her cat who was very ill..... On call vet contacted and up the mountains to the clinic.
    My Daughter's in her final year of veterinary nursing and had to help the Vet in what turned out to be a critical intervention at about 02.30...

Didn't get to sleep until about 4 so when the alarm went at 8 it was a bleary eyed start to the day. So, got the course set up with the lads and saw a couple of boardsies who were out for the race, jcsmum and sunflower, not a bad morning considering what the weather has been like.

Once the race was over I got out of there so I could get my run done and sit down on my h0le to watch sport all day. Weather turned out to be lovely and I got the 10 done at 8:21 pace but I was on very weary legs toward the end. In fact, I'm now walking a little like Walter Junior from Breaking Bad for those who know him.

Good news is that the Vet managed to do a procedure today which she couldn't manage last night (I won't go into details :eek: ) so it has bought Milo (who is only 2) another couple of days to try sort out the underlying problem.

Marlay is a tough 5k course digger. As soon as you leave the concert field that trail is slightly uphill, then there is the actual hill.....ive wanted to drop out both times ive ran by the time I got to the hill

Think of it as a rainy 5k tempo.....

Yep, but I was gone before the actual hill. In fact, the actual hill was tackled Matrix style... Frame by frame... I think I'll mark it down as a reverse tempo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

How is Milo doing? Perhaps she is the type of cat that could bring you good luck in your training;) Your late-night mission of mercy will definitely bring some good running karma your way:)

Marthastew wrote: »
    How is Milo doing? Perhaps she is the type of cat that could bring you good luck in your training;) Your late-night mission of mercy will definitely bring some good running karma your way:)

:) He's doing well, they are calling him Lazarus up in the vets! Saw him this evening and he jumped out of his crate.... He's dying to get home and all going well overnight we'll pick him up tomorrow evening

Tuesday - Session - 1 mile warm up 4 x 1 min, 60 sec recovery, 2 mins with a 1 mile cool down. Tough session especially with the weather, had to pull up on the last set as I got a pain in my knee, think it was due to the inflexible tights or a couple of drastic moves to avoid a couple of sinkholes! Loosened the knee about by walking for a few minutes and managed the 1 mile cool down with no issues

• Advertisement

Wednesday - No run as giving the knee a day to get better. Still felt a bit niggly but no problem load baring. Good news, Milo is home but he must now be the most expensive cat in Dublin outside of the zoo ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Any plans to give 'The Foot' the Wifi password in the near future? :rolleyes:

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Any plans to give 'The Foot' the Wifi password in the near future? :rolleyes:

:) The Foot actually had War and Peace at the ready recently but her 'pink' laptop crashed before she posted it. I think that took the wind out her boards sails ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

digger2d2 wrote: »
    :) The Foot actually had War and Peace at the ready recently but her 'pink' laptop crashed before she posted it. I think that took the wind out her boards sails ;)

Tell her there is such a thing a word documents. You can save stuff using it and everything.;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Tell her there is such a thing a word documents. You can save stuff using it and everything.;)

Haha, that's what she normally does and although I'm an ITard I was doing everything I could to avoid saying "How come you didn't write it on a Word doc" ;)

So the knee niggle has kept me out of my runners for the last few days... Hoped to get a gentle few in yesterday before the LSR but just thought it made sense to give it another day.

Saturday - 10 Mile LSR - 10 @ 8:51

Headed up to Marlay with CL, wind was howling and it was p1ssing with rain (there's a surprise)..... Sitting in the car I had zero interest in doing this run. Last Saturday in Marlay was a disaster and whilst I don't like this time of the year at best, I'm sick and tired of the sh1tty weather and dark. Anyway, out we got, pressed start on the watches and away we went. The first half mile was uphill and into the wind and by the time we reached the top playground we were at 9.22 pace and I was literally sucking air in. Thought of abandon ship entered my mind but I managed to get my way around to the second lap and suggested CL go on ahead but she was happy with a slow one.

I really wasn't in great form and when we came upon about 40 OT oul wans spread, not just across the path in 4's and 5's but also in the margins in 6's and 7's, talking typical oul wan sh1te I had to utter something in my Victor Meldrew voice to indicate that their fat a55es didn't own the park.

Anyway, despite wanting to stop about 5 more times I battled away (thanks to CL's subtle encouragement) on tired, powerless legs and eventually got to the 10 at 8:51. Have a bit of a pain in my h0le with running at this point but based on the fact that I was breathing like a whale's blowhole after walking up 2 flights of stairs in work the other day it wouldn't surprise me if the Iron is low again.

On a brighter note met Woddle who is looking well, he was up giving his girls and a friend or two a bit of finishing straight finishing coaching.

AND finally.... Blocky, as Delia Smith once said ''Where are you, where are you''

Liverpool 5 Arsenal 1 :D:D

Monday - 5 Mile Recovery - 5 @ 8:49 - Quads still a struggle but breathing was absolutely fine

Tuesday was rest and yesterday was abandoned because of work/weather

Thursday - Session - 2 mile w/up - 2 miles at 7 mins - 2 mile c/down.

2 @ 9:05 - 2 @ 6:53 - 2 @ 8:43

This was Wednesday's intended session, very blustery for this and legs did feel heavy in the second quick mile.... All in the name of getting back into shape....Head down, keep going, keep positive, keep stretching start stretching :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

start stretching :D

I've some AIS stuff nailed down if you want? :p

4.5 @ 7:43

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

It's finally been done - a run report that makes Anto's look like War & Peace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Pray to fcuk dat thats miles + not kms....

Friday - Abandoned after 2 miles, knee niggling away.... Have been joined to my laptop and hunched over like a stress ball so it's not surprising! 2 @ 9:02

As supportive as ever, I've been keeping claralara company during her post 50k pigging out phase and I'd say my cholesterol levels are through the roof. In saying that, I've adhered to Meno's advice (that you can't get bad cholesterol from anything that grows out of the ground) and been eating King Crisps like they are going out of business ;) I believe that next week we are undertaking a 3 day juice detox. CL will stick to it, I'll be lucky if I get past 11 A.M. on the first day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I believe that next week we are undertaking a 3 day juice detox. CL will stick to it, I'll be lucky if I get past 11 A.M. on the first day!

Better stock up on the air fresheners!

Aimman wrote: »
    Better stock up on the air fresheners!

If I get any worse than I already am we may need the army bomb disposal team :D

TAXI!!!!!

Saturday - 11 Miles at 8:59

Legs fcuked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Legs fcuked

Thanks for holding up the show whilst the remainder of the household rests :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

claralara wrote: »
    Thanks for holding up the show whilst the remainder of the household rests :):)

Hmmmm...so posting at 3:18am is resting? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Legs fcuked

Pace or time of day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Legs fcuked

Mate that is a run I can only look at and when the F*** I will get back to that distance... You are doing grand! :D

Advertisement