Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

digger2d2 wrote: »
    7 ;)

Just about to head out with CL to hook up with meno for 10. Think he's doing a few beforehand, how are you getting on?

F*cked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

When are yee travelling?

Sashurday ;)

Sunday - Myself and CL headed out to meet meno and did 10 @ 8:54

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Sunday - Myself and CL headed out to meet meno and did 10 @ 8:54

Thanks for not mentioning it :);)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Thanks for not mentioning it :);)

I'll keep it as quiet as what you told me about ecoli having a history of fcuking up pacing gigs ;)

• Advertisement

I'll keep it as quiet as what you told me about ecoli having a history of fcuking up pacing gigs ;)

Deal!!!

*PHEW*

Tuesday - Went to club for the first time in a year (or something like that ;) ) Did a mile w/up followed by 2 sets of 3 x 200's with a 1 min recovery and then 2.5 miles on my own. Although I was told I shouldn't jump back into 200's I was happy to wake the legs up and careful not to push it. Now that I have gone back I'm looking forward to club sessions during the Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Tuesday - Went to club for the first time in a year (or something like that ;) ) Did a mile w/up followed by 2 sets of 3 x 200's with a 1 min recovery and then 2.5 miles on my own. Although I was told I shouldn't jump back into 200's I was happy to wake the legs up and careful not to push it. Now that I have gone back I'm looking forward to club sessions during the Summer.

Classic. Nice to introduce a bit of speed work back into training the week of a marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Classic. Nice to introduce a bit of speed work back into training the week of a marathon.

:D Classic digger all right but in fairness to him marathon was just a tool to get fit.

TRR wrote: »
    :D Classic digger all right but in fairness to him he is just a tool trying to get fit.

Bit harsh??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

menoscemo wrote: »
    Bit harsh??

Sorry, regain fitness.

Anyway, today's sprints were practice in case he spots you with 400 to go after you've blown up ;)

TRR wrote: »
    Sorry, regain fitness.

Haha, read again :rolleyes:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Best of luck Sunday :D

Wednesday - No run... Early start and long journey up to and back from Donegal. Hamstrings stiff and sore afterwards.

Thursday - 3 easy at about 8:53 - Felt okay, sports massage later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Best of luck on Sunday, Digs!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Is it safe for me to open my curtains yet? :)
    Good luck guys, have a great day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Best of luck on Sunday. Hope it goes well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Enjoy the day folks. Have a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Good luck digger! Youve done well to drag yourself back to fitness in a short time. Enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck on Sunday!! Enjoy the fantastic experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Have a good one Digs and catch you for a pint after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Best of luck Digger!
    I know your training has been less than ideal(!) so the main consideration should be to get to the finish in one piece rather than having a Boston experience again.
    Sooo, start off much slower than you think you should and maintain til 10 miles. Slowly up the pace if feeling strong. This way you'll be passing lots of people all the way through the race to the finish and should lead to an enjoyable run with a decent time.
    Any target in mind? Would you be happy with a comfortable sub 3:30 at this stage?

Btw: Is your other half running or is she going in a coaching capacity?
    Also, has she lost her boards.ie login details??

belcarra wrote: »
    Best of luck Digger!
    I know your training has been less than ideal(!) so the main consideration should be to get to the finish in one piece rather than having a Boston experience again.
    Sooo, start off much slower than you think you should and maintain til 10 miles. Slowly up the pace if feeling strong. This way you'll be passing lots of people all the way through the race to the finish and should lead to an enjoyable run with a decent time.
    Any target in mind? Would you be happy with a comfortable sub 3:30 at this stage?

Btw: Is your other half running or is she going in a coaching capacity?
    Also, has she lost her boards.ie login details??

A comfortable sub 3.30?? That's 9 mins off my real PB ;)

I think it's going to be around the 3:45/3:50 mark, starting off slowly, will be passed by quite a lot of people in the first 5 miles, something I'm not too keen on. But will hopefully feel strong throughout.

CL will be running alongside me, slightly worried she has a plan to propose to me on the finish line :eek::eek::D;)

Have a good one Digs and catch you for a pint after.

Yep, might see you at the Expo, think we'll be there around the same time, if not, have a great run!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Enjoy Sunday....after all the work and months of planning it's finally here! ;)

Send best wishes to CL too!

blockic wrote: »
    Enjoy Sunday....after all the work and months of planning it's finally here! ;)

Send best wishes to CL too!

:D I know, it's been tough with no booze and the high altitude tent! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Good luck on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Best of luck tomorrow Digs, hope it goes better than expected. Oh, and make sure to get a decent pic of the finish line proposal for the front cover of Monday's papers :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Good luck to you tomorrow, and to CL.

Being proposed to on the finish line would make for a heck of a race report!:P:D

• Advertisement

Pre race -

As those of you who know me and/or keep an eye on the log, my training had been poor. A combination of a couple of niggles and a lack of focus/desire had me doing little or nothing and I only managed to up the mileage in the final 4/5 weeks. So, the decision had been made that this would be no faster than 3:45.

Met up in the airport with Meno, Red Runner, Boston Dave, Gavlor and his red lipsticked OH ;) Arrived safely and got the Expo done an dusted and later that evening met up for dinner and myself and CL had a couple of drinks later with TRR's missus. Got to bed early and slept okay.

Race -

A little bit of misdirection had us on the wrong train so it was a little fraught trying to get to the start area and use the toilets etc. on time but we got it sorted. It was a beautiful morning and we were in the Red Good For Age Fast Section 1 which would have been great if the original plan to go sub 3 had been still on the agenda but I was very much aware of keeping out of the way as the race started.

In truth, I felt pretty good during the early part of the race and decided to keep 3;30 pace in view, just in case I felt strong at 20 miles and could kick on.....typical digger!! :confused: Anyway, after about 6 miles I copped on a little and eased a bit. Getting toward halfway and I started to feel tired, CL was jumping around whooping and hollering at the crowd as well as taking photos and doing video interviews with me :pac: It was great to see Kipsang and then Mo flying past us and that gave me a boost but the next few miles began to get tough.

Just after 18 miles I said to CL ''This is the longest I've run in 6 months'' and by mile 19 the legs started to go. I'd say that mile 20-23 were the worst of the lot, when your legs are feeling that bad and then the head starts to follow it just seems such a long way home. I had two sets of preventative stretches during this part and drank quite a lot of water as I began to feel very thirsty. I managed to find some slow rhythm in the last few miles but the legs were on the edge and I stopped for one final stretch with a mile to go so that I wouldn't fall apart in front of the world's media in the finishing straight ;)

800 metres to go and time for one final CL video interview where I confirmed this would be my last marathon, she indicated the distance left and that I should sprint but I think I made my feelings very obvious :D We crossed the line together doing a dual windmill and I have to say that I was very relieved it was over.

5k Splits were 25's and 26's for the first 20k, went through the half at 1:49:49 but the back 9 wasn't so pretty with splits between 27 and 32 :eek: to come home in 3:55. Disappointed not so much with the time but looking back I could have run a 3:55 evenly without any of the cramp dramas but I guess that's one of my main issues. That said, had I run a comfortable 3:55 it would have been bothering me in case I had a 3:30 in me on the day, so, fcuk, I tried and failed, so be it.

Post Race -

A great afternoon with Liverpool beating Man City followed by a couple of pints with the gang (including our lost to Ireland Rainbow Kirby and Briantherunner as well as a few of Marthastew's friends) and then a return to my hotel to have a sleep/watch some of The Masters, too excited to sleep which was real concern to Missus TRR as she knows how I need my naps ;). Back over to The Coal Hole and the most obvious thing about the whole group was that Meno was, by this stage, sh1tfaced and drinking what he could get his hands on before he bought a load of Sambucas :eek:

Great night with a little deviation late on but we'll leave frothy the chowder blower's story for another time ;)

All in all a very good trip, excellent marathon with the best vocal support I've ever witnessed. It was a pleasure to run with CL and we had good craic along the way with the camera despite the picture which makes it look like I'm puk1ng!! I know I said that was definitely my final marathon but I'll take time to consider this. What I've learned is that you can't cheat marathon prep but I need to decide if I'm prepared to commit to a 14 week plan again.

Lastly, for those of you who wondered if and pondered over the possibility of a finish line proposal... I'm not a spa ;)

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen ;):D

Advertisement