Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

menoscemo wrote: »
    Sorry to rub it in but this is just too funny :D:

oeHbGyM.gif

It aint over till it's over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

So, just about recovered from Sunday's travesty.... Are Chelsea fans happy that they play like Stoke!!?? :rolleyes:

As a RR says, it's not over yet!

Anyway, back to running - Monday 5.5 recovery miles

Tuesday - Club Session - 8 x 300's with 90 second jog recovery

First full club session in maybe a year :eek:... Was absolutely out on my feet half way through but got my second wind and very happy to get through it.

Wednesday - Rest

Thursday - Club session - The plan was for 6 miles recovery but I felt good and the 5k is not until Sunday so I did as follows.... 1.5 mile warm up - 2 miles of fartlek - 2 miles easy - .5 mile warm down

Saturday - 3 miles recovery (9.10/mile) with 4 sets of strides

• Advertisement

A bit of catching up to do on the log. Work has been very busy but I've been managing to squeeze the runs in all the same. I'm actually enjoying my running and was a little surprised at how the Tallaght AC 5K went for me insofar as I ended up about a minute better than I thought I would.

Sunday 4th - Tallaght AC 5K - 20.27 - Laps - 6:24, 6:41, 6:37, (5:28)

Monday - 3 Mile Recovery (9:18 pace)

Tuesday - Club - Didn't do the session but did a 4 mile progression - 9:28, 9:07, 8:17, 8:07

Wednesday - 5 Miles - 5 at 8:30

Thursday/Friday - Rest, work v busy and was wrecked.

Saturday - Club - Track Session - 3 Sets of 3 x 400's with 90 second recovery and one lap jog between sets. Laps were as follows.... 82, 83, 81 - 79, 82, 82 - 84, 85, 80. This was the first time I had done 400 repeats in about 18 months and it was an eye opener - Legs were very weary in the last set and my breathing was very heavy at the end of each lap and I found it increasingly difficult to recover for the start of the next lap.

Sunday - 8 Miles Recovery - 8 at 9:13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Too early??

306580.jpg

iuckTuj37rRUA.gif

5cwyo1.jpg

cux5QaM.gif

Just like your fantasy football season ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Too early??

How can it be too soon?
    Its been almost 25 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

ibgRT4Pu73BQ2s.gif

25q4v2v.gif

Monday - 5 miles at 8:30 pace

Tuesday - 3 Miles at 8:57 pace with 8 sets of strides

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Monday - 5 miles at 8:30 pace

Tuesday - 3 Miles at 8:57 pace with 8 sets of strides

The Guns out in force tonight :D

Wednesday - Graded Meets - Tallaght AC

Somehow came up with the idea of running both the 200m and 1500m, fairly sure this was CL's fault. Watching some of the girls warm up for the 200's (purely for research purposes) I realised how out of our depth we were! Anyway, off up to the start line ventured The Foot and met her blocks for the first time ever in Lane 8. Myself and meno had a little chat about how she might do and I think we were both laughing even before the race started!

Bang went the gun and CL basically stood up from her blocks and looked like she was doing a recovery run around the top bend. Her description was as follows ''Even the girl in Lane 1 had passed me in the first 10 metres''!!!! As funny as it was to see her trail home about 190 metres behind the girl who finished 7th we had a good laugh and I reminded her that none of the other girls had a 2:57 marathon. I knew that for a fact as I asked them whilst collecting phone numbers for ecoli and meno ;)

I'd love to say that CL's performance took the pressure off me but it was to the contrary as I knew if she'd been hammered the same fate awaited the guns. There were three races in my grade and the only 3 lads who it looked like I could beat went off in the first two. My race only had 6 runners, now, there were two ways of looking at that, 1. Even if I'm last I'll finish 6th or 2. There are 2 less people that I could potentially beat. So, I set myself up in Lane 6, tried to get comfortable in the blocks, ''set''! and off went the gun... I was slowly away, to be honest I think the blocks would need a bit of getting used to as I really thought I was going to land flat on my face. To make sure I didn't fall I jumped out and up so no low start and certainly no decent acceleration. The feeling of being undertaken by the whole field in what seemed like an instant had me tensing up even more, something my 3 minute research into sprinting had told me not to do.

Coming into the final 100 metres and I was way down, there was going to be no legendary sprint finish, no triumphal sniping, this was merely an act of survival. My legs literally fell apart, well, not literally but you get the idea... 70 metres to go and I think it was Chivito who coined the phrase ''it looks like someone is pulling the finish line further away from you''.... Well, that's how it felt. I gave everything, my form was all over the place. My running looked like a mixture of TRR and Paula Radcliffe (only, much, much slower) I had to try at least manage the gap between me and the other 5 and it was maybe 5-8 metres at the end (I'm sure Chucky will come in and correct me if I'm wrong on this).

Chuckystew had my time at 27 or 28 as far as I remember which he told me wasn't that bad at all but it was the manner of the run that had me disappointed. Also, I was absolutely wrecked after it, a little dizzy, a little sick in my stomach and also felt like I'd eaten a bag of dry crackers and two boxes of chalk.

I made the decision not long after not to do the 1500 as I didn't want to risk an injury as the calfs were very crampy. This was a disappointment but it was the correct decision. Anyway, I enjoyed watching the ladies 1500 and CL had a very good run finishing maybe 6th and also set a PB despite the fact that her legs are certainly not conditioned for this distance.

Lessons learned... It was worth doing, warm-up for a 200m is not the same as warm-up for a 5k, I'd need to learn to use blocks as I effectively lost a few metres there, I can't compete with 25 year old sprinters, I don't like finishing last. However, on a positive note from TRR after, my time was not far off decent Masters time, so, it would seem logical with a little specific training I could knock a couple of seconds off and compete within my own aged and forlorn group of downtrodden males.

Chuckystew had me time at 27 or 28 as far as I remember which he told me wasn't that bad at all but it was the manner of the run that had me disappointed. Also, I was absolutely wrecked after it, a little dizzy, a little sick in my stomach and also felt like I'd eaten a bag of dry crackers and two boxes of chalk.

No such Luck I had you at 28/29. Most likely 29:xx as I have to react to the gun too.
    Much better than CL's 36 though ;) I think her pace for 1500m was faster :p

Good craic last night and fair play to the both of you for giving it a go.

No such Luck I had you at 28/29. Most likely 29:xx as I have to react to the gun too.

Good craic last night and fair play to the both of you for giving it a go.

:D Jezuz, that was quick! Not surprised I got the time wrong as I was all over the place for about 20 mins after. I might do another in a few weeks and knock 2 seconds off that.... Smackdown? ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

You are a bad bastard meno. Between slagging meno and CL and then taking the piss out of some auld lad (VERY LOUDLY may I add) you are the worst sort of spectator :)

fair play digger, considering you've done nothing shorter than 300s in training and I think you've only done them twice that's good running. The faster stuff obviously comes more natural to you and might be worth doing some more of the sprints for the craic. And you're right the majority of guys you were racing last night were 25 and under. A significant number were early 20s I'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

oldarses track is in August, I think, and I might see you at indoors in January.
    You two might not be the fastest sprinters, but you're probably the fastest sprinters in Sportsworld ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Fair play to the pair of you for doing the 200's - don't think I'd have your neck to rock up and do that. Much respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Echo the comments. I have done my fair share of mad races but even I don't have the balls to dip my toe in the water at the those sort of distances.

Either way it will stand to you for longer distances. Always good to work on your weaknesses every now and then.

TRR wrote: »
    You are a bad bastard meno. taking the piss out of some auld lad (VERY LOUDLY may I add) you are the worst sort of spectator :)

ecoli wrote: »
    . Always good to work on your weaknesses every now and then.

Are you listening meno....

I can't believe that even I had to walk away from you last night as you were using the menohailer to berate some unfortunate over her weight :eek:;)

RayCun wrote: »
    oldarses track is in August, I think, and I might see you at indoors in January.
    You two might not be the fastest sprinters, but you're probably the fastest sprinters in Sportsworld ;)

August you say, hmmm.... That should just about give me the time to recover from last night ;)

CL has committed herself to Sportsworld, DSD came knocking but why take a step down the ladder ;):pac:

• Advertisement

Are you listening meno....

I can't believe that even I had to walk away from you last night as you were using the menohailer to berate some unfortunate over her weight :eek:;)

I've just remembered that one now. I was actually referring to another menohailer incident!

TRR wrote: »
    You are a bad bastard meno. Between slagging meno and CL and then taking the piss out of some auld lad (VERY LOUDLY may I add) you are the worst sort of spectator :)

Ah come on now; if I can't take the piss out of digger who can i take the piss out of? :D

Fair play to the pair of you for doing the 200's - don't think I'd have your neck to rock up and do that. Much respect.

My thoughts exactly. Well done. Although having seen your time I might fancy an auld lads sprint smack down in August ;-)

RedRunner wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly. Well done. Although having seen your time I might fancy an auld lads sprint smack down in August ;-)

zimmer frames and defibulators at the ready! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

That quote doesn't ring a bell. Don't think it was I who said that.

29 is a pretty good run off no specific training and inexperience with blocks. Might be worth giving the 400 a go in 2 weeks to see what you can do.

Nice to meet you guys yesterday. Fair play for giving the 200 a bash.

Thursday - Mountain Run - 6 Miles - Myself and CL took to Wickla where Slogger Jogger kindly led a recce of leg 4 of the Wicklow Way relay which The Foot is running next weekend. Some tough hills which really tested my lungs and lactic after the dead legs of the 200m the night before. Amazing views and great company.

Friday - Rest

Saturday - Club - Track Session - 10 x 300 metres with 100m jog recovery. Jay5us, this was tough on dead legs but glad to have done it. Splits were between 53 and 60 seconds.

Sunday - 5 Mile recovery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Wednesday - Graded Meets - Tallaght AC

Somehow came up with the idea of running both the 200m and 1500m, fairly sure this was CL's fault. Watching some of the girls warm up for the 200's (purely for research purposes) I realised how out of our depth we were! Anyway, off up to the start line ventured The Foot and met her blocks for the first time ever in Lane 8. Myself and meno had a little chat about how she might do and I think we were both laughing even before the race started!

Bang went the gun and CL basically stood up from her blocks and looked like she was doing a recovery run around the top bend. Her description was as follows ''Even the girl in Lane 1 had passed me in the first 10 metres''!!!! As funny as it was to see her trail home about 190 metres behind the girl who finished 7th we had a good laugh and I reminded her that none of the other girls had a 2:57 marathon. I knew that for a fact as I asked them whilst collecting phone numbers for ecoli and meno ;)

I'd love to say that CL's performance took the pressure off me but it was to the contrary as I knew if she'd been hammered the same fate awaited the guns. There were three races in my grade and the only 3 lads who it looked like I could beat went off in the first two. My race only had 6 runners, now, there were two ways of looking at that, 1. Even if I'm last I'll finish 6th or 2. There are 2 less people that I could potentially beat. So, I set myself up in Lane 6, tried to get comfortable in the blocks, ''set''! and off went the gun... I was slowly away, to be honest I think the blocks would need a bit of getting used to as I really thought I was going to land flat on my face. To make sure I didn't fall I jumped out and up so no low start and certainly no decent acceleration. The feeling of being undertaken by the whole field in what seemed like an instant had me tensing up even more, something my 3 minute research into sprinting had told me not to do.

Coming into the final 100 metres and I was way down, there was going to be no legendary sprint finish, no triumphal sniping, this was merely an act of survival. My legs literally fell apart, well, not literally but you get the idea... 70 metres to go and I think it was Chivito who coined the phrase ''it looks like someone is pulling the finish line further away from you''.... Well, that's how it felt. I gave everything, my form was all over the place. My running looked like a mixture of TRR and Paula Radcliffe (only, much, much slower) I had to try at least manage the gap between me and the other 5 and it was maybe 5-8 metres at the end (I'm sure Chucky will come in and correct me if I'm wrong on this).

Chuckystew had my time at 27 or 28 as far as I remember which he told me wasn't that bad at all but it was the manner of the run that had me disappointed. Also, I was absolutely wrecked after it, a little dizzy, a little sick in my stomach and also felt like I'd eaten a bag of dry crackers and two boxes of chalk.

I made the decision not long after not to do the 1500 as I didn't want to risk an injury as the calfs were very crampy. This was a disappointment but it was the correct decision. Anyway, I enjoyed watching the ladies 1500 and CL had a very good run finishing maybe 6th and also set a PB despite the fact that her legs are certainly not conditioned for this distance.

Lessons learned... It was worth doing, warm-up for a 200m is not the same as warm-up for a 5k, I'd need to learn to use blocks as I effectively lost a few metres there, I can't compete with 25 year old sprinters, I don't like finishing last. However, on a positive note from TRR after, my time was not far off decent Masters time, so, it would seem logical with a little specific training I could knock a couple of seconds off and compete within my own aged and forlorn group of downtrodden males.

Just read the above and realised that I was in your race. I shook hands with you (I was in lane 5)
    Well done on your first attempt and a brave move for a long distance man!

RandyMann wrote: »
    Just read the above and realised that I was in your race. I shook hands with you (I was in lane 5)
    Well done on your first attempt and a brave move for a long distance man!

Ah good stuff.... I think you went by me before I got out of the blocks ;)

Bob Heffernan 5k

Last night I wasn't doing this as the legs felt dodgy from the recent track work but I woke up this morning feeling okay so decided to give it a go. I'd been happy with my Tallaght 5k recently where I got a 20.36 I think, so, the plan was to try get under 20 in this. I entered CL (in the race!) and off we headed. Such was the quality of the field I started a little further back than usual.

There was the usual jostling early on but thankfully only a few spas starting in the wrong place and I got into a nice rhythm. Trampas was about 10 metres ahead of me but I really didn't want to get into a race. At this stage it's all about my own time and condition. After about a mile I was overtaken by SunflowerRo who used to be on boards. She was running strongly but I had a strikingly similar situation in the Tallaght 5k with jcsmum so I stuck behind her for as long as I could.

So, despite the usual negative thoughts that we can all have in a 5k I went by trampas in the last mile and pushed on ahead of sunflower maybe in the last 500 metres... In fairness, we were picking people off one by one and I think I was only overtaken by one guy in the last mile. I felt very strong in the latter part of the race and even managed a windmill for Peter Mooney on the home stretch.

Splits were as follows... 6:23, 6:28, 6:19, 5:17

Interestingly the middle mile was the slowest, same as Tallaght so I reckon that's some psychological sandbagging. Great to see such a strong field and a lot of familar faces and myself and CL had a chat with the much maligned Martin Fagan, v pleasant guy and surprisingly modest. I know there's a lot of mixed feelings toward him at the moment but one thing I will say is that it's pretty rare that a top guy will bother their hole talking to a run of the mill old club runner like me, that said, I know he was dying to ask me how I got my guns ;)

Fantastic event, Krusty proved that although the MSB was only 3k he could still run a great time over the full distance ;) The weather was fine, great crowd, super times and CL is back in the 18's again :)

• Advertisement

Great stuff. Back in the game!

Advertisement