Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chucky ár Lá... DigDig's gonna get you!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Fed up not running so I put on the DS Trainers (which offer the most support of the shoes I have) and headed out yesterday for 3 miles at about 8.20 pace... Heel was a little sore after but I went at it with a three pronged attack -

1. Ice
    2. Massage (using a method of self-massage that ecoli showed me :eek:)
    3. Diclac

Doesn't feel too bad today

Monday - 5 miles at 9 minute pace

Basically I'm going to keep running and working on my heel after to see what happens for a few days. Stretching, ice, massage and Diclac. I'm not going to resort to Frothy's recommendation of popping a couple of meds before each run ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Monday - 5 miles at 9 minute pace

Basically I'm going to keep running and working on my heel after to see what happens for a few days. Stretching, ice, massage and Diclac. I'm not going to resort to Frothy's recommendation of popping a couple of meds before each run ;)

Maybe it's time for a new approach. Have you considered having the leg amputated and replacing it with a blade?
    Just the one leg/blade mind you, I've heard if you double up it could lead to side-effects!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

cross training?

belcarra wrote: »
    Maybe it's time for a new approach. Have you considered having the leg amputated

Wouldn't make a difference as I'd still have two ;)

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    cross training?

I'm trying to avoid that at the moment Ray, I found no fitness benefits to sit-ups from the couch and reps to the fridge for Guinness biceps curls ;)

Thursday - 3 miles easy - did these early and was happy that the heel didn't react, it has improved somewhat.

Pacing 3 hours in the Rock n Roll, should be an interesting experience in the art of running at walking pace!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Thursday - 3 miles easy - did these early and was happy that the heel didn't react, it has improved somewhat.

Pacing 3 hours in the Rock n Roll, should be an interesting experience in the art of running at walking pace!

Just do the pacing gig off your head - now that would be Rock n Roll!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

So 3hrs walking on one heel...that should be interesting!

blockic wrote: »
    So 3hrs walking on one heel...that should be interesting!

Singing ''You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille'' :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Can't wait to hear how that pacing gig went! Thanks for the hello earlier.

Rock n Roll Half Marathon Pacing

Well, that was one interesting experience! Thank fcuk the weather was nice because I was out in it for an awful long time. There is no point in a 3hr pacer for a HM and I relayed that to the RnR guys after, anyone who can run is ahead, anyone who is walking is behind, all you get are the run walkers and the strangest yoyo effect.

Anyway, had a bit of fun, managed to ''run'' all the way (save a photo and pit stop) I'll also got to push a wheelchair up one of the hills in the park and eventually came home in 2:59:48.

Legs are very stiff today from the completely different movement, I suspect I'll be in ribbons tomorrow but it wouldn't be the same digdig if I didn't throw in the odd stupid idea!

Tuesday - Went down to club and did an easy 3 miles on achy legs. Hamstrings are the main issue following on from RnR pacing, hopefully it eases off over the next couple of days without any residual issues.

Stupid idea #1 - Pacing 3 hours in the Rock 'n' Roll half

Stupid idea #2 - Entering the Dingle Marathon in 3 weeks

Although I did stupid idea #1, I was prevented from being a double idiot by CL, the conversation went something like this ......

Dig ''Ah feck it, I think I'll do the marathon as it's only €12 more than the half''

CL ''OMG - Are you off your f0cking rocker - You've been running 10 mile weeks with loike three half marathons thrown in over the last 4 months. OMG, you're going to loike tewtally ruin our weekend away, you'll be sew crocked and wanting to fall asleep all the time. No way, I'm putting my Manolo Blahnik's down here''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Congrats on the sub 3 ;-)

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Congrats on the sub 3 ;-)

Thanks Pete - The lighter mileage schedule really worked for me this time - Might try barefoot for the sub 2:45 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Anyway, had a bit of fun, managed to ''run'' all the way (save a photo and pit stop) I'll also got to push a wheelchair up one of the hills in the park and eventually came home in 2:59:48.

How the fook did you manage to 'run' at that pace? I know a few fellas that regularly walk sub 6 marathons....I figured you would be using a 'mostly walk' strategy

menoscemo wrote: »
    How the fook did you manage to 'run' at that pace? I know a few fellas that regularly walk sub 6 marathons....I figured you would be using a 'mostly walk' strategy

With great difficulty, I could have run/walked, in fact I probably could have fast walked but there was no way I wasn't running
    And the artist formerly known as TRR was correct, it did in fact cause me problems.... Never again!!

So, following on from the hellish 3 hour pacing gig I ran a recovery the day after and then nothing until last weekend when I went out with a plan to do a loop of Marylay and a second one if I felt ok... I just about managed 1 lap, my legs were in ribbons. Sometimes I marvel at how good I look despite how bad I feel! ;)

Wednesday the 20th.... I ran again yesterday evening, this time I managed 3 miles, a bit of stretching and even 10 minutes on the turbo trainer in the Doha Training Room!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Wednesday the 20th.... I ran again yesterday evening, this time I managed 3 miles, a bit of stretching and even 10 minutes on the turbo trainer in the Doha Training Room!

See my post just now in Quirky's log...What's the craic with Claralara? Has she improved significantly since Donadea? I see she has a World Ranking of 23rd at the moment and GOH has 24th so she's beating him on that front at least!

belcarra wrote: »
    See my post just now in Quirky's log...What's the craic with Claralara? Has she improved significantly since Donadea? I see she has a World Ranking of 23rd at the moment and GOH has 24th so she's beating him on that front at least!

She's getting along fine, training going well and no injuries to be worried about. At this point I'd say she'd run Donadea in 3:39 (if it was at the end October) but the real question mark is the heat/humidity in Doha.

BTW - On this year's world's fastest 50k times...

CL = 15th
    GOH = 20th

Booyaa ;):D

• Advertisement

Thursday - 4.5 miles at 8.40 pace and not pretty

Friday/Saturday/Sunday - Nada

Sunday went on a road trip to Longford and met up with a few boardsies. CL was doing the half at her planned 50k pace. Instructions were to stick to the plan unless the podium was in sight in the last mile or two. That's how it panned out and a last mike at circa 6.15 saw her finish in 3rd place in 1.27 .... Not bad for a training run. Great run by Michelle Magee with a winning time of 1.18 and in the full there were wins for Freddy and Pauline Curley.

My plan is to get two weeks of regular running into my legs to see if that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

My plan is to get two weeks of regular running into my legs to see if that helps
    I stick to 10 days...

Went down to club last night and did a couple of laps of Bushy with a friend before heading up to the Sister's Field ;)

4.2 miles at easy pace

4 miles with a big sn0tty nose on me

7 miles up in the Waterworks this morning.... Still blowing lots of snot.... Lovely ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

7 miles up in the Waterworks this morning.... Still blowing lots of snot.... Lovely ;)

First Last Long run before the half next week?

what's the target?

menoscemo wrote: »
    First Last Long run before the half next week?

what's the target?

:) Exactly

The target is not to try anything stupid! Not sure with regards to time but it's likely to be slow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Bit deep...

• Advertisement

Today - 3 miles at 8.10 pace

So, over the last few days I've finally started to get a few runs in...

Wednesday 4 miles
    Saturday 4 miles
    Sunday 7 miles
    Monday 3 miles

Time for the taper ;):D

Advertisement