Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unopened Xbox non refundable in Argos

Options
  • 01-01-2011 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

So in I went receipt and all with xbox 360 (unwanted gift).
    Was told it was non refundable and they would not issue credit note either.
    Manager said it was the case for all electronic goods with a hard drive in case they have been tampered.
    She said it was mentioned in the catalogue. However it was not mentioned at time of purchase.
    To me this sounds unreasonable - has anyone had similar experience in Argos or other stores?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

perfectly reasonable. you arent entitled to change your mind and if the catalogur mentions its excluded from the 28 day guarantee then you were told at POS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Yes, perfectly reasonable is correct. OP, do you not see why they need to take this position as their policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Argos exclude any device with memory from their refund policy. This is outlined clearly in their returns policy (and it might even be on the back of the receipt - I can't recall clearly).

As there is nothing wrong with the xBox, Argos have no legal obligation to offer you a refund/exchange etc.

Your best bet is to sell the xBox on Adverts or the like

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Try some other stores, and be willing ti buy something else to value on the spot. Policy says you can't return it, in practice it is possible to have an exchange done if you're lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭colm1234

just tell them its faulty turns it self off after an hour and im sure they not gunna hang about to check it out, tell em you want a full refund because you dont trust taking another one from them now if they offer you store credit you dont have to take it if the item was faulty, you paid in cash and you want it back argos are the biggest shower of feckers going im not even gunna get into my own experiences with them or we will be here all day. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

colm1234 wrote: »
    just tell them its faulty turns it self off after an hour and im sure they not gunna hang about to check it out, tell em you want a full refund because you dont trust taking another one from them now if they offer you store credit you dont have to take it if the item was faulty, you paid in cash and you want it back argos are the biggest shower of feckers going im not even gunna get into my own experiences with them or we will be here all day. :D

They have the choice of which of the three Rs they will choose, not you.

Jumpy wrote: »
    They have the choice of which of the three Rs they will choose, not you.

im 6 foot 4 and 18stone solid muscle, when i ask for somthing i usually get it rather fast and with plenty of apologies ;) ive never been offered store credit from argos for anything always got cash

@colm1234 - we do not condone fraud here on Boards

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

they do not have to refund if faulty. They must repair or replace. They can refund if they wish but no obligation to do so.

Argos have quite a generous refund policy compared to other retailers but some items are omitted from it.

Argos have not dont anything wrong in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

im 6 foot 4 and 18stone solid muscle, when i ask for somthing i usually get it rather fast and with plenty of apologies ;) ive never been offered store credit from argos for anything always got cash

Ah now it makes sense. Get the picture now, you are one of them customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

its argos im sure they wont go broke over an xbox, it makes me laugh how people stick up for these big companys when all they do is rip people off, we as a nation are great for complaining about the price of things but dont have the balls to do or say anything about it. I for one will not sit back like the rest of the sheep an continue to take it, we should be helping each other out not taking the side of multi million companys because we are afraid of openning our mouths

jimmynokia wrote: »

In the broadest sense, a fraud is an intentional deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual argos not an individual I would never condone this if that were the case as stated above they are a multi million euro company and they have ripped me off plenty of times :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

In the broadest sense, a fraud is an intentional deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual argos not an individual I would never condone this if that were the case as stated above they are a multi million euro company and they have ripped me off plenty of times :eek:

i agree with you 100 per cent ive had a recent conversation on something similar and was chastised like you:mad:

i would not move without a refund as box unopened.
    within 28 days its down to the store and management depends who you get the other side of the counter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

its argos im sure they wont go broke over an xbox, it makes me laugh how people stick up for these big companys when all they do is rip people off, we as a nation are great for complaining about the price of things but dont have the balls to do or say anything about it. I for one will not sit back like the rest of the sheep an continue to take it, we should be helping each other out not taking the side of multi million companys because we are afraid of openning our mouths
    I know, lets throw the law out the window since those big bad companies who force us to buy from them are just so damn evil. The customer should be always right - even when they are 100% wrong. If I dont like what they say I will try and intimidate the staff with my big strong muscles (oh I am so strong) and try screw them over. Sure the staff must be evil too - they are hardly regular people like the rest of us - consumers like the rest of us, no they must be evil.

Some people crack me up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

I bought an electric tooth brush in Argos some months ago. When I opened it, it only had a two pin plug and since I didn't have a two pin socket I replaced the plug with a standard three pin plug (I always charge tooth brushes in my bed room).

Unfortunately for me the tooth brush itself was faulty.

I brought the thing back the next day and the manager told me since I changed the plug my warranty was void, turned her back and walked away.

I have since avoided the stupid place, they won't ever get another penny from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

JOSman wrote: »
    I bought an electric tooth brush in Argos some months ago. When I opened it, it only had a two pin plug and since I didn't have a two pin socket I replaced the plug with a standard three pin plug (I always charge tooth brushes in my bed room).

Unfortunately for me the tooth brush itself was faulty.

I brought the thing back the next day and the manager told me since I changed the plug my warranty was void, turned her back and walked away.

I have since avoided the stupid place, they won't ever get another penny from me.

That toothbrush was not properly equipped to be sold in Ireland then is your retort, we do not use the two pin system anymore

JOSMan she was right. They sell the adaptors there for abour €3.50. She has no way of knowing that you didnt short it yourself.

That toothbrush was not properly equipped to be sold in Ireland then is your retort, we do not use the two pin system anymore

Yes we do. Its the bathroom safety two pin, not the euro 2 pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Jumpy wrote: »
    Yes we do. Its the bathroom safety two pin, not the euro 2 pin.

Eh not much good unless you have one of those sockets and not many would. On a side note, its laughable how ourselves and the UK are the only countries in Europe which don't allow sockets in bathrooms (location is the only safety issue), why do we allow such nanny stateism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

i agree with you 100 per cent ive had a recent conversation on something similar and was chastised like you:mad:
    Only because you were wrong.
    i would not move without a refund as box unopened.
    within 28 days its down to the store and management depends who you get the other side of the counter
    It does depend on store and managment and they've said no. Nothing with storage (As in digital storage) can be refunded or exchanged in Argos. They're always excluded from their change of mind returns period.
    So you look threatening to get what you want?
    its argos im sure they wont go broke over an xbox, it makes me laugh how people stick up for these big companys when all they do is rip people off,
    These "big companies" haven't ripped anyone off. You're the one trying to rip them off.
    we as a nation are great for complaining about the price of things but dont have the balls to do or say anything about it.
    No one said anything about price so forgive me if I ignore this part of your rant.
    I for one will not sit back like the rest of the sheep an continue to take it, we should be helping each other out not taking the side of multi million companys because we are afraid of openning our mouths
    So you want Ireland to be known as the land of fraud?

Only because you were wrong.

It does depend on store and managment and they've said no. Nothing with storage (As in digital storage) can be refunded or exchanged in Argos. They're always excluded from their change of mind returns period.

So you look threatening to get what you want?

These "big companies" haven't ripped anyone off. You're the one trying to rip them off.
    No one said anything about price so forgive me if I ignore this part of your rant.

So you want Ireland to be known as the land of fraud?
    ireland already is known as the land of fraud lol or do you live somewhere else rather than pick apart all i have said why dont you take a second to think about it first, just look at the price of argos in the uk compared to ireland and you will see what i mean, its not just argos im reffering to its everything and us irish complain about it constantly but arent willing to do anything about it because we are a pack of scared little mummys boys :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

ireland already is known as the land of fraud lol or do you live somewhere else rather than pick apart all i have said why dont you take a second to think about it first, just look at the price of argos in the uk compared to ireland and you will see what i mean, its not just argos im reffering to its everything and us irish complain about it constantly but arent willing to do anything about it because we are a pack of scared little mummys boys :p
    Quit the politics and the "Herp derp, all politicians commit fraud" type of thinking that belongs in AH. This forum's for consumer issues and nothing else.

The price difference between Argos UK and Argos IRL is due to many things
    Currency fluctuations and differences
    Higher wages over here and highest cost of living
    Higher costs (Including rent and utilities)
    Poorer road network
    Shipping products from abroad to the UK and then the UK to Ireland

It's not the massive "Let's take the Irish to the cleaners" conspiracy that everyone seems to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zzantara

Let me try and understand your complaint against Argos :
    They offered an XBox for sale at a price that appealed to you (the rip off bas*ards ???)
    They (the rip off bas*ards ???) clearly stated that there are no refunds on the XBox that (the rip off bas*ards ???) sold you
    You (or a friend relation ) freely decided to buy the XBox from Argos (the rip off bas*ards ???) or did they pull you into the shop against your will ??

You decided "on a whim" that you did not want the Xbox and decided that the Argos (the rip off bas*ards ???) refund policy did not suit you and you would like to change their (the rip off bas*ards ???) refund policy??

You are now deciding whether to commit fraud on (the rip off bas*ards ???) in order to pull a fast one on (the rip off bas*ards ???).

I bet if the situation was reversed we would say fair play to Argos (the rip off bas*ards ???) for getting one over on us ??

Grow up and accept that you purchased an item in error and offer it for sale at a price to try and recover most of your money and dont become a rip off basta*rd yourself !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

a lot of bollixology being spouted here, AH and R+R are that a-way
    >

anyhoo. . . .
    trowel wrote: »
    So in I went receipt and all with xbox 360 (unwanted gift).
    Was told it was non refundable and they would not issue credit note either.
    Manager said it was the case for all electronic goods with a hard drive in case they have been tampered.
    She said it was mentioned in the catalogue. However it was not mentioned at time of purchase.
    To me this sounds unreasonable - has anyone had similar experience in Argos or other stores?

sorry OP, as frustrating as it is, being an unopened/unwanted gift, they are not obliged to take it back. my advice would be to try adverts.ie or buyandsell etc - being brand new you may get fairly close to full price for it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

just tell them its faulty turns it self off after an hour

Given its unopened how is he going to do that? :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

err yes we do,
    The toothbrush is intended to be charged with plugs that are fitted in the vast majority of bathrooms up and down Ireland, UK, America etc. You'll have the exact same plug on an electric shaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭masterjk

sell it on done deal or ebay!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

bounce it of the floor and say it rattles LOL

nail on the head there, jimmy, that's exactly why they don't have to take it back, anything could have happened to it since it left the shop

• Advertisement

very simple.................................... open it ? :D god i love this thread great craic what else would we all be doing without boards on new year

This is Consumer Issues. If you want "craic" then go to After Hours.

I'm going to have to spend the next 30 mins reading this god-awful mess of a thread and decide who to ban/infract for sheer stupidity. Thanks for giving me a pain in my ass on the second last day of my holidays.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement