Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Footballers and the dreaded social networking.

• 01-01-2011 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

Footballers are like you and me, only they have massive talent and get payed to do what they love. Unless you are Benoît Assou-Ekotto.

Past couple of days i have noticed these particular tweets.

cesc4official
    Whats the diference between this handball & my 1 vs spurs? Referees dont want us to complain abt them but they make life dificult 4 themself 9:51 PM Dec 29th via web

How can you not get frustrated with decitions like that going ALWAYS Man Utds way?! Its a clear pen and sending off! 15 minutes ago via Twitter for iPad Retweeted by you and 100+ others

53Szczesny53
    I don't understand why some of you get frustrated with me for saying this. The decition was shocking! FACT! What a goal for WBA btw! 3 minutes ago via Twitter for iPad Retweeted by you and 29 others

Personally i think it's good. Players are getting more vocal and unless curbed by the managers of the team i can see it causing a stir and highlighting ref's bad calls more and more.

Thoughts ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

The two of them just come across as complete whingers, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Benny is a legend man turns up to games in a smart car :D

Can be issues if they talk about injuries and stuff should stay away from those sites I think it is so easy to say something that would reflect badly on your club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

At least it shows they actually give a fcuk unlike half modern day fottballers these days. Both of them are completely right by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I got bored of Twitter after a day or so, but I do occasionally check up on TheBig_Sam, he's fucking mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Essien wrote: »
    I got bored of Twitter after a day or so, but I do occasionally check up on TheBig_Sam, he's fucking mental.

One of my favorite twitters is the BigSams. I also found two other very good ones around the time of the world cup announcements that looked promising but shockingly low followers.

http://twitter.com/SeppBladder
    http://twitter.com/MikelPlatini

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

My problem with'53Szczesny53 ' is that he is a liar.

His original comment was that United ALWAYS get these decisions. You only have to look at our last game where we lost two points because the ref/lino didn't notice an offside, a foul or a handball in the one move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

My problem with'53Szczesny53 ' is that he is a liar.

His original comment was that United ALWAYS get these decisions. You only have to look at our last game where we lost two points because the ref/lino didn't notice an offside, a foul or a handball in the one move.

The decision on tuesday was debatable though. Gary Nevilles was a stonewaller. He also got lucky not to be sent off against Stoke in the first half, which yas went on to get the three points. Will probably happen again in this match.

The decision on tuesday was debatable though. Gary Nevilles was a stonewaller. He also got lucky not to be sent off against Stoke in the first half, which yas went on to get the three points. Will probably happen again in this match.

It was not debatable. It was a clear handball, offisde vs Philips and a foul on Rio. It should NEVER have been allowed to stand.

Fact is, United did not get a call they SHOULD have got on Tuesday - if United ALWAYS get the decisions as WS states, the ref would have been looking for any reason not to allow that goal, and there were 3 real reasons not to give it.

Has WS tweeted saying how frustrating it is when the refs don't see clear handballs after seeing United not get one there... we do ALWAYS get the decision after all.

Has WS tweeted saying how frustrating it is when the refs don't see clear handballs after seeing United not get one there... we do ALWAYS get the decision after all.

Just out of curiosity have you never heard anyone loosely use the word "always" and not actually mean literally 100% of the time? I always hear it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

You should get out more

Just out of curiosity have you never heard anyone loosely use the word "always" and not actually mean literally 100% of the time? I always hear it.

he reiterated the comment saying it was a FACT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I suppose you've never heard of this?

he reiterated the comment saying it was a FACT.

He said the decision not to award WBA a peno earlier was shocking, thats the point he reiterated with FACT and rightfully so. And again, have you never heard anybody loosely use the word fact at the end of statement which may not actually be fact? If not, take an earlier posters advice and get out more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

EDIT: Wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

I can understand people paying heed to fabregas. Fair enough he has won trophies, world cup etc. But listening to the rambling of a young goalie who isn't good enough to be first choice ahead of manuel and flappy is taking the piss. :confused:

Then one would wonder why some people pay such heed to posters on here considering all of their football achievements...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Football has a lot to learn from rugby.

Footballers do enough moaning on the pitch as it is, without spitting their dummies out on Twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Trying to get a cheap shot at United are ya? How come they don't tweet about Jerome Thomas' handball or Zigic's handball

I'm not trying to get a cheap shot at United. The mentality on this forum seems to be everyone is against my own team.

I first wanted to bring it up after the Arsenal match with Cesc's tweet but felt i didn't have enough to warrant a thread on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

FFS its attitudes like the ones shown on this thread that is the reason footballers interviews are absolutely rubbish and there are feck all characters in football. Nobody is allowed show any personality due to fear of Johnny Giles wannabe's who think everyone should just keep there mouth shut and stick to cliches so not to offend football fans. Grow some balls and accept that people have opinions and stop trying to force people who might have something interesting to say to keep them to themselves. People complain about pundits on the likes of BBC and Sky for not criticising anything. The truth is they cant because stupid football fans complain in their droves when they do. I remember Darren Bent posted something on twitter about the beach ball incident against Liverpool. It was funny until he was inundated by clowns going mental because he joked about it. When Patrice Evra joked about giving Ireland a replay on the playstation there were hoards of people baying for blood. Football fans are so thin skinned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Or how about the petulant little bunch that most professional footballers are these days, first and foremost learn to respect the game and authority that goes with it.

There can be plenty of characters in football without undermining officials and opposing teams.

Spouting ****e on Twitter does not show any personality or create "characters".

The ****ing diving cheating moaning complaining etc etc is making a mockery of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

If you look at the replay, when Nevilles foot when over and made contact, and the same time to ball moved over to the right. Did not make it easy for the ref. Had the ball continued its path, it would have been given as a peno.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Personally I love seeing the real side of footballers (as much as they actually show anyway). Sometimes you forget that they're actually people, and football fans.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

adox wrote: »
    Or how about the petulant little bunch that most professional footballers are these days, first and foremost learn to respect the game and authority that goes with it.

There can be plenty of characters in football without undermining officials and opposing teams.

Yeah because football fans show nothing but the utmost respect to refs and teams they play against :pac:
    adox wrote: »
    Spouting ****e on Twitter does not show any personality or create "characters".

Its better than the template response of "Well obviously i feel the referee could of done better and hopefully we can get a few decisions our way in the future.":rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Well that Polish keeper for Arsenal is getting a barrage of abuse about Arsenal not getting decisions after RVP diving for a free kick which they scored from!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Personally I love seeing the real side of footballers (as much as they actually show anyway). Sometimes you forget that they're actually people, and football fans.

Yeah it's nice to see them speak their mind, but the Fabregas and PiG no.2 are just whinging.

Be interesting to see if PiG no.2 has anything to say about the free-kick tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

i have a feeling that personal "issues" with other players will come out on twitter,should be fun to see players from rival clubs slagging each other off.

Can't wait to read about Woj 's frustration and outrage following the van persie dive for the free they got their goal from then van persies handball that didn't result in the penalty it should have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Can't wait to read about Woj 's frustration and outrage following the van persie dive for the free they got their goal from then van persies handball that didn't result in the penalty it should have.

He was sitting beside wenger so obviously didn't see it;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Glen Johnson on Paul Merson just now:
    Comments from alcoholic drug abusers are not really gonna upset me and who is Paul Merson to jugde players, He was average at the best of times, the only reason he's on that show is coz he gambled all his money away. The clown!

What a cúntish thing to say. Stay classy Glen.

Tom_Brady wrote: »

Might speed up his exit.

If he did post that it's disgusting. What was it in response to I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Might speed up his exit.

If he did post that it's disgusting. What was it in response to I wonder?

Agreed, Merson must have been analysing Johnson's midweek performance, football focus perhaps???

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

hah, Merson was twice the player Johnson is.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I'm no fan of Mers but he was twice the player glen johnson ever will be.

What a pri ck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

I dont see what the problem is, Merson criticised Johnson and Johnson reponded by criticising Merson, so what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Johnson has deleted the tweets. Best bit of back tracking he's done all season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

tommyhaas wrote: »
    I dont see what the problem is, Merson criticised Johnson and Johnson reponded by criticising Merson, so what?

Mersons criticisms weren't Personal, it's not that hard to spot the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Jesus if Man United player said same thing, it be outrage, on media and everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

tommyhaas wrote: »

Merson criticised his footballing performances.

Johnson takes a swipe at Merson and brings his addiction problems into it.
    As has been said already, that's a massively cúntish thing to do.

Johnson - shíte player, shíte tweeter.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Tom_Brady wrote: »

This is coming from the same man who robbed a toilet seat from B&Q :pac:

Whatever he thinks about Merson's comments he certainly wasn't ''average''. He was a top player and had more talent in his little toe than Johnson (the £18m defender who can't defend) has in his whole body.

Jesus if Man United player said same thing, it be outrage, on media and everything.

http://www.tfhp.org/images/tinfoil-hat.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

Surely that's not Sam tweeting. I checked twitter for first time in ages yesterday, that can't be him and getting away with it in the media.

Theo apologised yesterday. Wonder if Berbatov is going to apologise today... less than a minute ago via Twitter for iPad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Ryan babel posted this on twitter awhile ago

fc2b9f76.jpg

He's been investigated by fa now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Babel, what a idiot.

Jesus United had 2 stone cold penos turned down and nothing about them eh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

darsar wrote: »
    Surely that's not Sam tweeting. I checked twitter for first time in ages yesterday, that can't be him and getting away with it in the media.
    No it's not him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Ryan babel posted this on twitter awhile ago

fc2b9f76.jpg

He's been investigated by fa now
    Surely that's bringing the game into disrepute he could get into a lot of trouble for that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭jaykay74

from bbc...

1819: Breaking news:
    The Football Association has opened an investigation after Liverpool winger Ryan Babel posted a digitally altered picture on Twitter of referee Howard Webb wearing a Manchester United shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

If I was a manager I'd ban all my players from twitter and the like. They obviously haven't the brains to use them without bringing their clubs into disrepute. Babbel like, what was he thinking, and Johnsen yesterday as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement