Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick RAM Upgrade Questions

Options
  • 01-01-2011 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I know this is probably a stupid question but the internet as usual is full of conflicting reports. I have a mid-2009 MacBook. Specs (And Crucial Memory) says it takes the following:

Package: 204-pin SODIMM
    Feature: DDR3 PC3-8500

Am I right in saying I can't put anything other than the above into it? i.e. PC3-10666?

Many Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Normally you can get higher speed RAM and it underclocks itself once the Macbook has booted. Problem of course with Macbooks is that it can be very fussy for certain models of RAM sticks and compatibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Normally you can get higher speed RAM and it underclocks itself once the Macbook has booted. Problem of course with Macbooks is that it can be very fussy for certain models of RAM sticks and compatibility.

I was thinking that but wasn't sure. So either way I'm going to run at the set speed of PC3-8500?

I just ordered the specified RAM to be sure however.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ironclaw wrote: »
    I was thinking that but wasn't sure. So either way I'm going to run at the set speed of PC3-8500?

I just ordered the specified RAM to be sure however.

Yep, Macbook boards are locked to the RAM speed specified in the spec sheets.

Your ordered RAM is definitely compatible with the Macbook yeah? I had an issue with regards to upgrading last year. It was matching speed but the Macbook refused to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Yep, Macbook boards are locked to the RAM speed specified in the spec sheets.

Your ordered RAM is definitely compatible with the Macbook yeah? I had an issue with regards to upgrading last year. It was matching speed but the Macbook refused to read it.

Went through the online tools on various sites. All came back the same. Eventually ordered off these folks in Kildare:

http://www.shop4memory.com/

Came back with these: http://www.shop4memory.com/configurator/?system=21839

Usually order of Komplett and the likes, but I can't find it on their site. Recently I've found there search engine and filters to be useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,294 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The manufacturer will usually specify specific supported models/serials of lab-tested sticks. ASUS Motherboards for instance each have their own list of RAM makes, models, speeds and timings that are supported technically and wont jeopardize your MoBo warranty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement