Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kenya Rift Valley Training and Q&A

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Great posts Jason...First things first, tks alot for helping me break the 3 hr barrier at DCM..

Im interested to know if it took u long to adjust to the different foodstuffs... in ur oponion has the local diet increased ur energy levels and has it had an effect on ur weight..

Tks alot, Liam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Enduro

This is a great thread. Well done Jase, your writing is both thought provoking and entertaining. Keep 'em coming, and enjoy the rest of your time in Kenya

Hakuna matata

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 kiwirunner

@donothoponpop:*

I have been here for twenty days, and have been slowly adjusting to the altitude. But the reality is that it's just harder running here. At sea level, jogging feels very easy. Up here, even after three weeks the lungs are almost always working (partly because it's all undulating trail).

It is not easy to make direct comparisons to training performance in Dublin, because there are other variables that affect your pace. But here are some session comparisons with variables stated (approximate times only)

8k tempo run

Dublin @ 3:35 pace on grass in Bushy Park (1500m laps with a small hill)

Iten @ 3:55 pace on dirt trails with undulating hills throughout

10x400 on the track

Dublin @ average 69 seconds on UCD track off 60 seconds (rest)

Iten @ average 71 seconds off 90 seconds on uneven 403 metre cinder track.

Yasso 800s (10x800 broken by 400 easy)

Dublin @ 2:37 at the Phoenix Park polo ground

Iten @ 2:44 on cinder track

Long runs

The surface and gradient of the road has a significant effect on the pace of long runs. Accounting for that, I would estimate an impact of up to 15 extra seconds per kilometre.

Easy pace is much slower on the trails here.

5 minute per kilometre pace here *(8 minute miles) compared with 4:30 min/km in Dublin.

I was speaking to a couple of Finnish runners (2:15 marathoners) who have been here for a month.*They normally run 10x1km intervals at 2:55 at sea level, but up here they're running between 3:05 and 3:10.*This works out at about*+7% impact (i.e. The difference in seconds per kilometre is bigger if you're going slower). This seems consistent with what I've found.*

I'm going to try the 10x1km session on the track this week. Wish me luck!

@Liamo123: Pacing Dublin was my pleasure.

Just to update on what we've been eating.

Breakfast
    White bread and tea (no variation)

Lunch
    rice or stewed beans, or both together on a good day

Dinner
    Ugali with cabbage or spinach. On two occasions we have had a very small
    portion of whitebait on the side.

I found the transition to this diet to be seamless. My stomach has been fine, because the food is so simple. Though the beans have a predictable effect.

It is also difficult to isolate the impact of this diet on my energy levels, because at the same time I have increased my mileage from about 100km per week to 160km per week. But my energy levels have been fine. I have probably lost 6-8 pounds (3kg) since I arrived.

Living on this diet makes me realise how much of what we eat in western
    society is 'excess to requirements'. For example, at home I wouldn't really have considered eating rice on its own. Almost as if rice NEEDS to be served with something tasty in order to qualify it as a meal. But here it is standard procedure to do so.

The same goes with white bread. On day one, I was hunting for the raspberry jam! Now I find that I really enjoy having the bread by itself. I get my sugar kick from the tea (which, by the way, is loaded with sugar!) plus the bread is probably relatively high sugar content compared with bread in Ireland.

Its easy to see why westerners generally carry around so much extra weight. My philosophy is that if this diet is good enough for the athletes in Iten, then it's good enough for me.

By the way, the folks staying at Lornahs and Kerio View eat very well indeed. Fairly standard western diets from what I've seen, particularly at KV (just to clear my conscience, i treated myself to a banana crepe at KV last week).*

I have posted pictures at www.adventuresofjase.blogspot.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

Lovin' this thread. Fair dues Kiwirunner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Very interesting thread KiwiRunner, keep the posts coming.

I'm interested in the food you are eating. Is it white rice you are eating or some other type? Is it just boiled and you eat it on it's own? Does it have any flavourings like spices or anything added? When you say white bread, I'm guessing it's different from Brennans white bread? :)

Also you mentioned the tea is loaded with sugar. Do you mean you are adding sugar yourself or do they just brew a big pot and add a load of sugar in or something?

Sorry for the dummy questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Ispin

Very interesting and informative posts kiwirunner.
    Just a few questions specifically regarding injuries, treatment of same, facilities available etc etc. What's the normal post run routine, any ice baths? Any such thing as physio treatment. Also in you're opinion do the athletes in Iten get injured more or less than their western counterparts, and if so why or why not. If an athlete gets injured what's the treatment, also does the talent of the athlete decide the treatment given, and are then athletes treated locally?
    How are you handling the increased milage? Any aches as a result?
    Thanks for all the updates

[IMG]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_oEcvTzEYVmA/TUEsVlOcSDI/AAAAAAAAAUk/dR77091GkWQ/s800/supa loaf.jpg" height="800" width="600"[/IMG]

@g-money:

Is it white rice you are eating or some other type?*

We are eating plain white rice. Though it is coloured with yellow food colouring (for presentation)

Is it just boiled? And do you eat it on it's own?*

Yes it is boiled. Some of the time on it's own, a few times we've had it with a stew of beans/maize (corn)/nuts. This week we've been having rice with a stew of chopped potato and tomato.

Does it have any flavourings like spices or anything added?*

The rice is boiled in water with 'small cooking fat' and some salt. No additional flavours or spices. It just tastes like normal plain white rice to me.*

When you say white bread, I'm guessing it's different from Brennans white bread?*

The white bread is fairly sweet. It reminds me of the sliced white bread you find in the U.S. I like it, but i don't think there is anything special about it.*

The overall diet seems to be about energy intake. Sugar for fast burn energy, combined with starches for slower burning energy.*

Vegetables are used sparingly but consistently, to add flavour to the rice and ugali. The nutritional benefit of veggies seems not to be a priority.

By the way, I don't plan on strictly replicating this bland diet at home. The range of food available in stores here is very limited. Whereas in cities like Dublin, we are lucky to have a wide range of healthy food types available in our grocery stores. Enjoying this variety is one of the great pleasures in life, and is not a bad thing. But there are some useful ideas and principles that we can take from this diet.

The main dietary tips that I have taken on board are:
    - to eat less meat/poultry
    - it's ok to keep meals basic (change my expectations about what constitutes a meal)
    - eat more rice (with vegetables and or fish)
    - make an effort to substitute chocolate/cakes for fruit (pineapple or watermelon seem to be a popular 'treat' here, nobody eats chocolate)

Breaking habits is a big part of changing the diet. I hope to break a few bad habits and create some good ones upon my return to Dublin.

Interesting posts as always KiwiRunner.

How much longer are you in Iten and when do you get back to Dublin?

What's the normal post-run routine? any ice baths?*

As I mentioned before, athletes have plenty of time available for each session. So they spend quite a bit of time stretching after a run. They're not in a rush to get anywhere after a work-out, that's for sure.

The athletes apparently use ice baths occasionally after races or hard training sessions, to treat muscle damage.*

Do the athletes in Iten receive physiotherapy treatment?

It is important here to make a distinction between massage and physiotherapy treatment.*

Only a few of the top athletes employ the services of an actual qualified physiotherapist. It is common for a 'manager' to recruit a qualified Physio to treat the runners in a camp. Particularly in the build-up to big events on the calendar.

Sometimes this would be a local Physio from Eldoret. But the other day I met an Irish Physio who is working on contract with a local running team here for a month (leading up to national x-country champs in February).

For the most part though, athletes are treated by local unqualified 'massage therapists'. The proficiency of these massage therapists is judged entirely on reputation and trust. Like most professions in Kenya, no qualification or license is necessary.

Massage therapy is a regular and important part of the program for all of the runners that I have spoken to here. An hour long massage session with a local kenyan masseuse costs only the equivalent of €2, so most athletes receive massage therapy twice weekly to aide muscle recovery.*

The runners that I've spoken to here swear by the benefits of regular massage. They believe that it helps them to push their bodies harder, day in day out, and reduce the chance of injury.

Apparently the art of sports massage is something of a universal skill amongst athletes here. They administer massage on each other.

I gather that this type of massage treatment is more effective for injury prevention and recovery than it is for treating actual injuries. But having said that, I'm sure there are some very good self trained and unqualified massage therapists here who know what they're doing (based on the testimonial of local runners).

Do the athletes in Iten get injured more, or less, than their western counterparts? and if so why or why not?

I'm not in a position to judge, because all of my information is purely anecdotal. But certainly injury seems to be just as big of a discussion point here as it is back in Ireland.

The athletes here look after themselves better than I do, and tend to be extremely flexible! (honestly, some of the positions that they get themselves into while stretching!)*

The reality is that if I/we were running as much mileage as many of these guys are (particularly at this intensity), we would probably succumb to injury fairly quickly. So their bodies require the extra TLC that time allows them.

I was told the other day that the Kenyans are 'all tendons'. Their tendons are, on average, significantly longer than Mzungu tendons. But I'm not sure whether that makes them more resilient to injury. It certainly seems to help them to run fast!

Apparently the Kenyan international runners often succumb to injury when they travel to Europe and transfer their training miles onto the tarmac. The theory is that the dirt trails are more forgiving on the legs than Tarmac roads, and also that the rough trails are better because 'every step is different'. This may be a factor.

How are you coping with the extra mileage?

I'm coping very well considering the extent to which I've upped the ante! (I ran 500km in three weeks) I would attribute this to the stretching that I'm doing, but mostly to the sheer amount of rest time that I have between sessions.

I'll be wrecked after a session, but then I can literally go to bed for 10 hours between each run (during the day and night). I've never had this much down-time, as far back as I can remember!*

Several local runners have stressed to me the importance of rest (sitting or lying around at home) for fully reaping the benefits of training. Who am I to argue.

After each hard session, I make it my personal goal to be ready for another session within 24 to 36 hours (with easy runs in between).*

This is 'living to run', rather than my usual lifestyle which is 'squeezing in runs'. I'm sure it's the same for most of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Ispin

Great reply kiwirunner, thanks alot for all the information, so much stuff there that I could incorporate into my own running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Great log kiwirunner, do they do much racing? Are there many local races?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

If you're interested in all this (and I'm sure you are), you might also want to check out Reid Coolsaet's blog. He is an elite runner from Canada and just happens to spend a few weeks in Iten right now (you never know, he might have bumped into Jase at times).

Interesting quote:
    "I can stumble upon guys with faster marathon PB’s than myself whereas in Canada I have the fastest time in 24 years."

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Racman

Well Kiwirunner is back in town. I saw him with my very own eyes this evening at training. He is looking well. Congratulated him on this thread. Some great information provided. No doubt he will see the fruits of his efforts in PBs in the near future.

Yes I'm back in Dublin, and I'm very much enjoying the oxygen that is on offer at sea level! :-)

I have a couple more pieces to post on the thread, based on notes that I took over my last few days in Iten. Over the next day or two I will endeavor to wrap up the thread with a summary of lessons learned from the runners in Iten (to whom I am very grateful).

Have you ever wondered why 12,000 participants turn up to run/jog/walk the Dublin marathon each year, yet only about 200 runners show up to run the National Cross Country Championships?

Many of us run marathons because we have a point to prove to ourselves, and to others. We are fixated on running marathons, and convinced that the marathon (or the half marathon) is the ultimate way to test our hardness and dedication. I am the first to admit that I fell for the allure of the marathon / half marathon event. I subscribed to the notion that there was a certain glory reserved for those who compete over extreme distances, and I made it my business for a couple of years to race ultra marathons and adventure races. But witnessing the Kenyan training methodology in practice has lead me to believe that the western obsession with ‘the marathon’ is somewhat misguided.

I don’t want to come across as belittling the achievement of running a marathon. It is well known that for many people, finishing a marathon is a massive achievement and requires a high degree of effort and dedication. Nor would I dispute that jogging a marathon, even just to finish it, is a good thing. Any person that can jog a marathon has shown themselves to have a good level of aerobic fitness, and that is something to be proud of. So just to be clear that the following observations are written from the perspective of an aspiring competitive runner. Meaning that I want to improve my running performance.

I believe that the Kenyans have the right idea. Kenyans realise that the challenge is not in jogging for 26.2 miles. Completing a marathon, in itself, is obviously not something that would impress their friends and family. And simply finishing a marathon wouldn’t leave them with an immense sense of achievement. Jogging is not particularly difficult for many Kenyans, not even for long distances. What IS difficult, is running fast.

As I sat crammed up in the back of a matatu from Eldoret last week, I began chatting with a charismatic and bubbly character who was sitting next to me. His name was Emanuel. He was on his way home from pacing the Dubai Marathon. He wore a tracksuit, and travelled very light, with only a small backpack which had his running gear and race pack inside it (he showed me everything in his bag). He had received a handsome fee for his pacing efforts in Dubai, and had gone on to finish the marathon in a time of 2 hours and 10 minutes (7th place). As we discussed his experience abroad, and our respective running CVs. I explained to him that I am also a marathon runner. He replied, in broken English with a big smile that was permanently etched onto his face – ‘Mzungu is not running, Mzungu is jogging’.

His comment was more profound than it seemed. That morning I had been lucky enough to watch the ‘Discover Kenya Cross Country Championships’ in Eldoret. Watching four hundred Kenyan men run laps around a rough grass park at 3 minute km pace (under 5 minute miles) is quite something to behold. The sheer pace of the massive pack of runners was difficult to fathom. The event had summed up in my mind the most important piece of wisdom that I have taken from the experience of training in Kenya.

Kenyan runners teach themselves to run extremely fast. They start by running this fast for 400m, 800m and/or 1500m on the track as teenagers. Then they step up to 3000m and 5000m events, and cross country. They still run the speed that they initially ran for the 800 metres i.e. very fast. But with a few seasons of training under the belt, they can now maintain that speed for longer. This process continues for years, as they step up the ‘distance ladder’. As I watched these men and women SPRINTING around the x country course, it occurred to me that many of them are either a) already running marathons or b) destined to be marathon runners. And they’ll be running marathons at speeds that most of us can’t sustain for more than a few desperate minutes.

The concept of focusing on developing speed before stepping up to long-distance running seems obvious, once you think about it. Yet it is at odds with the approach that many of us take to running, including the majority of the 40,000 participants that turn up to the London marathon every April (the same can be said of most of the great marathons). The reality is that most people who complete marathons have never even set a goal for 5km or 10km events. Most likely because in the eyes of many, these events are less prestigious (absurdly, a 4 hour marathon holds more kudos than a sub 16 minute 5km in the eyes of most of our friends and family).

Obviously most of us have different goals and circumstances from the Kenyan runners. We started running later in our lives, applied less effort (after all, we have day jobs and other things to do), and never laid down the foundations of track-running to begin with. But in any case, it seems to me that the approach whereby one starts by building speed and reaching our potential in shorter races, before stepping up to longer distance races, is equally valid for all runners. I think that any ‘marathon-centric’ runner who seriously wants to improve, would likely benefit from setting some solid goals for shorter distance races, and working towards achieving them.

Here is my new philosophy: Be patient. Teach your legs how to run faster. That way, when you step back up to the marathon, your natural pace will be faster and you can then build your endurance to match the new-found pace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

One of the best posts yet on this forum. On one of the best ever threads. Great reading, Jase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Yes, I think we have an early candidate for post of the year/thread of the year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Yes, I think we have an early candidate for post of the year/thread of the year!

I second that and hopefully people will heed some of the great advice given. If you want to run fast for long distances running fast for short distances is a must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

I agree that this had been one of the best threads on this forum.
    One question kiwirunner - why don't we ever see any Kenyan master's runners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Agreed great post, In terms of goals for this year are you going to put London on hold for the moment and just work at improving your speed over shorter distances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

excellent last post jase, excellent reading and excellent advice!

if dublin didnt fall on my 30th birthday this year, id drop it as a goal....but ill remember what you have said and will try it next year!

thanks

• Advertisement

Don't take this the wrong way KiwiRunner but I kind of wish you'd stayed in Iten. Just because I enjoy reading your posts about your time there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

G-Money wrote: »
    Don't take this the wrong way KiwiRunner but I kind of wish you'd stayed in Iten. Just because I enjoy reading your posts about your time there :D
    +1. Go back to Iten. I'm starting an online petition. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 FitFeet

Ugali is indeed very tasty, although we have our own ugali at home, namely potatoes.

I'm going to have to try this Ugali stuff! Anyone have any feedback on it? Or is it the same as Potatoes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Kiwirunner,

Great log and greater (almost) final post...

Solid advice, clear and well written posts, inspiring stuff, fantastic insight...

I second Krustys sentiment, back you go... I want more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

though obviously not up to the same standard, some bloke from the Grauniad is running in Kenya too

First I just would like to thank you all for taking the time to follow this thread. It’s nice to know that I’m not the only one who takes an interest in the Kenyan athletes, and the experience of training in Kenya. I would especially like to thank those people who posted questions and encouraging comments along the way. These were insightful and contributed significantly to the discussion and the subject matter on the thread. And a big thank you to Donothoponpop for setting up the thread, and for his contributions along the way.

Iten was a bit of a roller coaster for me in some ways. At times I was on top of the world, racing through the forest with the lungs burning, surrounded by monkeys, with a big smile on my face. Though at other times the confidence was taking a hammering. I would sometimes find myself out of my comfort zone, or hankering for a slice of pizza and a pint of Guinness. So I found that reading and writing on the thread was a welcome ‘reality check’ for me along the way.

I would be happy to stay in Iten and continue training and writing about it, if only I could find an ‘agent’ to bank roll the project for me :) Though I must say, I am happy to be back in Dublin. Where under-appreciated luxuries like a hot shower, a toilet with a seat, and a variety of nutritious and delicious food options are all readily available to me! I now plan to apply some of the tricks of the trade into my training, and get stuck into the racing.

Here is a summary of the main lessons I took from training in Iten:
    • Learn to run fast, before you run far. Once you have reached your potential over the shorter distances, then this is a good time to step up to the half marathon and marathon. At that point, give yourself ample time to build the endurance. Remember that there are no shortcuts when training for a marathon: it’s an unforgiving event.
    • The hard/easy principle. Run your hard runs VERY HARD and your easy runs VERY EASY. I cannot emphasise this enough.
    • Flexibility and core strength is important. It helps you to run fast, and stay injury free.
    • Establish clear and measurable goals for your running – both short term and long term goals. Long term goals set the ultimate direction that your running will take. Short term (interim) goals are an important motivator, prevent you from ‘procrastinating’ in your training, and steer you towards the long term goal. For example, a long term goal might be to run the Dublin marathon in under 3 hours next year. A short term goal might be to run 5km in under 18 minutes this summer, as well as 5 miles in under 30 minutes, 10km in under 38 minutes etc. Plot out race dates on a calendar and work towards them. Visualising the achievement of these short term goals at actual races will motivate you during those tough training sessions.
    • Identify the weaknesses (and strengths) in your running, then address them. Examples of weaknesses may be: speed, endurance, ascending hills, descending hills. Design your training program to address those weaknesses. Plug away at the weaknesses. I used to hate speed work, but now that I’m used to it (and getting a bit better) I actually enjoy it.
    • Vary your training. Every week’s actual training sessions need not, and should not, be exactly the same (detail below). Outside of training, keep your schedule as structured, constant, and uncluttered as possible when you’re in peak training.
    • A simple diet is all that you need. Not too much meat, plenty of carbohydrates and sugar is ok if you are running high mileage. Rice, potato, porridge, and bread are a good base for your diet (think the bottom ‘shelf’ of the food pyramid). Unprocessed foods are better. Fruit instead of chocolate for the sugar kick, if you’re able to resist (they don’t eat chocolate). The value of vegetables goes without saying really.
    • Get plenty of sleep. Sleep is the most effective way of resting your body. I am now aiming to sleep for nine hours per night, and I feel so much better for it. I feel stronger at training, leading to better quality sessions. And it’s easier to get through the working day too. Getting more sleep is one of the easiest ways to improve your running.
    • Rest and recovery after a hard training session is almost as important as the session itself. I am told that by failing to rest adequately after a hard training session, you are undoing the good work you have done. Rest and recovery means down-time, eating healthy food and replacing sugars (actually several Kenyans recommended energy drinks to me, otherwise chai or water is fine too), and preferably time off your feet in a relaxed environment (i.e. not Whelans or Rody Bolands)
    • Receive regular sports massage therapy if you can afford it (or can get it for cheap). Effective massage is recovery in fast forward mode.
    Here are some sessions I plan to incorporate into my training:
    • Interval sessions on the track or at a park. My favourite sessions are 5x2km of 2 minutes rest, 8x1km off 2 min, 10x800 with 400 jog recover, 8x600m off 90 seconds, 10x400 off 60 seconds, 10x200 jog backs. Pyramid sessions are popular in Kenya. For example: 1000m – 800m – 600m – 400m - 200m – 400m – 600m – 800m – 1000m. You can tailor intervals to your own needs, but it is good to vary the sessions.
    • Hill repeats. Find a steep hill. Run hard up the hill for 30 seconds, 60 seconds or 90 seconds, jog back down. Repeat for 40 minutes.
    • Diagonals (see earlier illustrated post for details)
    • Fartleck sessions: There are so many ways you can run a fartleck session. 1 min hard/1 min easy x 15 or x 20, 2 min hard/2 min easy etc x 10. Hilly terrain can be good. One marathon coach recommended the following session to me for marathon training: (2km at half marathon target pace, 3km at marathon pace plus 15 seconds) x 3. Sounds hard.
    • Tempo runs. 30 minute tempo is a favourite for x country and 10km race training. 50 minute tempo (or perhaps that would be ‘steady-state’, you want to avoid going lactic) is good for marathon training.
    • Long pace runs. 20km run at marathon pace plus 15 seconds. This is good for building an endurance base for marathon.
    I’ll probably run three sessions per week, then plenty of easy recovery runs in between, and a long run on Sundays (up to 24 miles). Note that the design and frequency of sessions in a program should be specific to the individual's level of fitness and strength.

What works for you will depend on your fitness and required recovery time. So if you have (up until now) been a jogger, but would like to introduce some speed work or hills into your program, you should probably start with just one or two sessions per week. And begin with less demanding sessions like 5x800 or 10x400, short hill repeats or even diagonals.

There are so many types of sessions to be incorporated into the training schedule, so you can’t run every type of session every week. That’s why each week looks different (my housemates in Iten would plan their sessions on a day by day basis). You CAN however, prioritise certain types of sessions depending on the suitability of that session to your goal/weakness.

@groovyg: I’m signed up for London Marathon in April, and there is no way I’m missing it! (I’m already five weeks into my training program) I’m still going to work on speed over the next 8 weeks, but within the context of a marathon program. Unlike the last couple of years, I don’t intend to run a marathon in the autumn. So starting from May, my training will be more tailored towards 5km to 10km races e.g. shorter intervals, long run will be reduced to 90 minutes.

@gerard65: Why don’t we see Kenyans running masters division? Probably because there is no (or little) financial reward on offer for masters runners. For the Kenyans, running is not a hobby. It’s a job, and it’s a very demanding one at that. When the money runs out, it is probably not worth training like crazy any longer. If you’re not training hard, then what is the point in racing? It is probably not worth the high cost of travelling to international (or even national) events. I suppose there is no demand, though I did see two older fellas in the senior x country in Eldoret last week. Not enough to justify a separate masters division mind you!

Finally I would just add that it’s fantastic running at sea level after 25 days of hard training at altitude. I had a good session of 8x600m on Tuesday night with my club mates. I felt much stronger than before I left, and my interval split times were probably about 3 seconds quicker.

I will post some more photos on my blog in the weekend.

Jason
    www.adventuresofjase.blogspot.com
    jason.anthony.reid@gmail.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Kiwirunner, any plans to run a shorter race in the next couple of weeks to take advantage of the immediate/short-term benefits of the high altitude training?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Great stuff - all threads about improving distance running should be redirected here.

@kiwirunner - will you go back or was this trip enough to learn what you needed to know? Any chance of doing a series where you go to various 'hotbeds' of running and compare the lifestyles and training methods?

@Krusty Clown: Yes, I ran the National Intermediate X Country on Saturday with my club (Rathfarnham W.S.A.F). I felt very good, considering the tough conditions (underfoot) and the strong field. It felt less painful than it should have done.

It is a bizarre feeling to be hanging on to guys who would have left you behind only a few weeks ago, and at the same time feeling reasonably comfortable with the pace. I suspect that this is as much to do with all of the hard training, as it is the altitude effect.

My team mates also ran well, and we were rewarded with a team silver medal!

My next important race is the Ballycotton 10 (6 March), which I consider to be one of the best races on the Irish calendar. This is where I will be tested against the clock (assuming that the weather behaves itself).

@ DNA: Yes I would like to return to Iten in the future to train. I think it would be cool to go back there with my girlfriend and my running club mates.

There are some other good spots to go for altitude training. Parts of Columbia and Mexico come to mind. Also Ethiopia. But before I start plotting another adventure, I first need to start accumulating annual leave.

Either that, or I could try to follow the lead of the guy who has just started writing about Iten in The Guardian (he has secured himself a book deal!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

kiwirunner wrote: »

There are some other good spots to go for altitude training. Parts of Columbia and Mexico come to mind. Also Ethiopia. But before I start plotting another adventure, I first need to start accumulating annual leave.

Either that, or I could try to follow the lead of the guy who has just started writing about Iten in The Guardian (he has secured himself a book deal!) :)

Na u should wait until u get to Columbia or Mexico and then write ur book... Thats presuming u live to tell the tale :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

kiwirunner wrote: »
    There are some other good spots to go for altitude training. Parts of Columbia and Mexico come to mind.

first off, best of luck in ballycotton, im hopeing to make it to the start line for that one also.

secondly, what have you heard regarding training in Colombia? is there a set up there for high altitude training & where?
    i was in Colombia last summer for 3weeks and from what i gathered it wasnt the safest, esp if you are up in the hills(jungle), but i could be totally wrong on that as we didnt spend time out in remote hilltop villages etc....i did try to run a little in bogota, every sunday they close off a few of the main streets to traffic and loads of people just run, walk and cycle around them, but i found the running a little harder, was at 2600m ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

seanynova wrote: »
    first off, best of luck in ballycotton, im hopeing to make it to the start line for that one also.

secondly, what have you heard regarding training in Colombia? is there a set up there for high altitude training & where?
    i was in Colombia last summer for 3weeks and from what i gathered it wasnt the safest, esp if you are up in the hills(jungle), but i could be totally wrong on that as we didnt spend time out in remote hilltop villages etc....i did try to run a little in bogota, every sunday they close off a few of the main streets to traffic and loads of people just run, walk and cycle around them, but i found the running a little harder, was at 2600m ;)

Bazman has done some great training there lately but he was moving around rather than staying in the one spot (according to his blog anyway).

I was also in Columbia a while back and our hosts wouldn't let me head out for a run as they said it was unsafe. They were hyper sensitive however and reading Bazman's post I reckon if you talk to the locals first they can tell you were to avoid. Having said that I have a Columbian student whose 2 friends were killed in the jungle a little while back and only last week he was badly attacked himself.

I guess the safety thing was one thing that popped into my mind about Kenya. Would Iten be considered safe and what were the crime levels like?

Just wondering if KiwiRunner felt unsafe at any stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭airscotty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

So after giving us one of the most interesting threads on the forum, Kiwirunner is going for 2:32 in London this weekend.
    It's been a blast to see how you started of your training schedule- a month in Iten- and you've raced some very impressive times since. Can't wait to see what you're capable of- best of luck this weekend Jase!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

So after giving us one of the most interesting threads on the forum, Kiwirunner is going for 2:32 in London this weekend.
    It's been a blast to see how you started of your training schedule- a month in Iten- and you've raced some very impressive times since. Can't wait to see what you're capable of- best of luck this weekend Jase!

Met him on the line of the BHAA race last weekend he was taking it as a time trial and after seeing how well and how easy he looked in pictures can see him being well in line for his target.

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

I am bumping this thread up following a link on another thread. Fantastic read! Where are you now kiwirunner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Great thread, some great posters of the past and some great posts, #65 & #77 in particular.

Advertisement