Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with Max Msp

Options
  • 01-01-2011 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hey guys , i was just wandering if anyone in here has any experience with Max Msp as i hear its the dogs ******* , ive been looking on u-tube at some tutorials but they seem a littel over my head , im well use to the usual DAW software and vsti's , but ide like to get to know this software a bit better , can anyone shed a littel light on this for me , my aim is to rewire it to cubase 5 and use my novation X-Station to controll it any ideas ?
    thanks
    Declan
    user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gifedit.gif
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

its a beast of a programme, i've virtualy no experience with it but i've used reaktor.

the key to these programmes is to follow every tutorial you can find, download ensembles and pick them apart to see how the work, this is more akin to computer programming than music production so expect a steep learning curve. MAX probably have some tutorials on there site and there's a forum on there too, the monome website has loads of helpful people on it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 decko69

yeah ive used reaktor but mostyl i use the ensambles that come with it and i love it , love the sounds but allways my trouble with reaktor was that its kind of like an uncontrollable beast , i mean , its hard to sequence it and any time i did it never sounded the same,like the sounds had a mind of their own or "that wasnt the sound i heard a moment ago" lol , i have delved in under the cover a few times but mostly for midi reasons , i have never built an instrument from the ground up , but im familiar with how it works , kinda !! so would you recomend i get to know reaktor better first before i try to get into Max ? u think it might help me understand better first ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

if you already have a full version of reaktor then stick at it, its runs as a vst inside your daw removing alot of the headaches that people have with max and PD.

and the huge user library on the NI website is a limitless pond of inspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Quiggers wrote: »
    if you already have a full version of reaktor then stick at it, its runs as a vst inside your daw removing alot of the headaches that people have with max and PD.

I posted this in the other thread, but it's relevant to that point...
    El Pr0n wrote:
    I'm really into Pure Data, not very good at it yet but I'm getting there. I disagree that these kinds of programs are purely for academia stuff and sound design or Autechre-type stuff, it's just another way of working towards something. It helps that it's much easier to go towards the completely far-out types of music with it, but it really is just completely open-ended to do what you like with.

I used to just build synths and things in Pd for the satisfaction of it, but it's way harder than just sending MIDI and audio between it and DAW. I've started getting Pd and Live to send MIDI and audio between each other and it's really great. It's really great the way you can work with numbers in Pd exactly how you want to imagine it. I've been generating and processing MIDI numbers in Pd and sending them to parameters in Live, or sending some basic sawtooths into effect racks in Live. Setting up a load of MIDI clips, sending them into Pd for some processing fun and then sending the finished MIDI back into a synth in Live is great fun.

I'd say definitely give Pd a go, it's a free download, and you can do absolutely everything with it than you can do with Max/MSP, just Max/MSP is way more developed to make things a little easier. Pure Data is super powerful. Definitely go for it :)

Here's a really helpful tutorial someone wrote, it was a lifesaver in getting me started

http://www.pd-tutorial.com/english/index.html

Pd doesn't run as a VST inside your DAW, but it's really easy to get data to flow between Pd and your DAW, as is I'm sure the case with Max/MSP. You could even get Max for Live if you wanted to have that and you're into Ableton.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

max/msp is great and well worth learning. download the demo and try and do a few tutorials everyday for a month. theres loads and loads of tutorials that come with it that get you going. then you'll have a good idea if its for you or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭oootini

http://www.virtual-sound.com/en/

this just arrived in the post. looks great, with tons of example patches online...

Advertisement