Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career change?

Options
  • 01-01-2011 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    Going anon for this as it is a bit personal. I work in IT but over the past year or two it has become a very difficult job. Basically the problem is that I am being moved from project to project every few weeks. This is fine but each one is different each time and *very* complex usually so there is a steep learning curve.
    This is ok for a while but it is stressful over a long period of time when you are struggling to understand things, and when you master one thing you are moved off it on to another. These projects are extra things we are doing apart from our "main" job so to speak so there are long hours when the main job is busy at the same time.
    I can do this for a certain amount of time but I find my health suffering because of it. For example I'm constantly exhausted, really high heart rate as well which I don't like even though I do get enough sleep (but I'm in work until 6 or 7 each evening)

Another problem is that it's hard to be confident in your job when you don't understand it fully - it has a lot of knock on effects. If you know your job well you can make commitments without any problems, you don't make beginners mistakes that affect other people and so on.. If you put a lot of work into something over a long period of time you expect to make some progress at it. I can't help thinking if I had put the same effort into something else it would have been a lot more worthwhile, and also that there must be an easier way to make a living.

Is it best to make a career change? The problem is I'm in my 30s already so have to think carefully about it. I am wary about going into the same job in a different company in case the same thing happens again but I did do a languages degree in college originally so this is one thing I could move into...
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I think you should attempt a job change first. Try to find a job with more set duties and more reasonable hours.

If that doesn't work out you could attempt a career change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I'd say the IT industury is the one with the most choice of jobs available at the moment... Have a good look around and you should find something more suitable. I wouldn't let one bad experience force you into a career change..

Advertisement