Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish times mag - photography

• 01-01-2011 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭

bought the Irish times today , and they had a picture supplement with images of the year . with a few exceptions , i fealt the quality was so bland , say in comparison to the world shots (included) or say images on the bbc web site -

the Irish Times used to have top quality photography, how badly missed the ex photo editor Peter Thursfield must be !

Not being a regular here recently, so as an outsider, i'd say the quality here, captures the year much better

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Haven't seen the issue, but the poor quality of photos is somewhat a universal phenomenon.

I'm looking at 1930 calendar by my own local paper and the standard of photography is unreal. It is however, mostly due to the equipment used which was 10x8 or more commonly 5x4" [inches].

Today, all cameras are the same, there are only a few different CCD/CMOS sensors in use so one could argue that the overall quality of photography has risen, in a peculiar way, but I'd agree the press photographer no longer has an equipment advantage and child protection and copywrite and private land for commercial use all stack up against an adventurous photographer and a certain blandness is the result.

In short we are all using essentially the same sensor so the results are all the same, the standard of photography in general has risen leading to higher expectations from the viewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

gbee wrote: »
    Haven't seen the issue, but the poor quality of photos is somewhat a universal phenomenon.

can only comment on Ireland , and a little U.K., but the Sunday Times magazine week in week out , produces wonderful thought provoking images ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

equipment nowadays gives huge advantages to modern press photographers, great quality, fast lenses in every possible focal length, really quick to change settings such as iso compared to using film, and unlimited possibilities

look at stuff like this:
    http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/8de7adee#/8de7adee/1

or this

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/

or this

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/gallery/2010/dec/23/2010-the-year-in-pictures

DotOrg wrote: »
    equipment nowadays

No doubt but, in Ireland?

gbee wrote: »
    No doubt but, in Ireland?

shouldn't be an excuse, one of the advantages of working for them is you get the use of the best of equipment, owned by the Times - the amount of times I, and am sure many here, have looked on in envy at the staffers, top end gear - as i compete with my 50 , zooming by feet :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Do the Times give out gear for use?

They don't for gigs - was at two recently where a new photographer for the Times was there and she just had her own gear.

mehfesto wrote: »
    Do the Times give out gear for use?

They don't for gigs - was at two recently where a new photographer for the Times was there and she just had her own gear.

they used to have their own pool of expensive lenses , i asked one , how much his white zoom, was and he said it was a company one -

at the bigger gigs, i used to get a chip on my shoulder , me with my little 50, and the staffers would arrive with an array of expensive lenses , and they didnt even have to plead their way into the pit - you know the story :)

thebaz wrote: »
    shouldn't be an excuse, one of the advantages of working for them is you get the use of the best of equipment, owned by the Times - the amount of times I, and am sure many here, have looked on in envy at the staffers, top end gear - as i compete with my 50 , zooming by feet :o

Were you working for them as a freelance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

thebaz wrote: »
    they used to have their own pool of expensive lenses , i asked one , how much his white zoom, was and he said it was a company one -

at the bigger gigs, i used to get a chip on my shoulder , me with my little 50, and the staffers would arrive with an array of expensive lenses , and they didnt even have to plead their way into the pit - you know the story :)

I've never pleaded my way into the pit - I'm not a staffer - and I do have an array of expensive lenses, which I purchased myself over the last couple of years (after pretty much all my gear was stolen back in 2007) - most of what I earn gets put into purchasing new gear at the moment I own 6 DSLR bodies approx 30+ lenses , Hasselblad H1...planning on getting a digital back for it either this year or next....and maybe upgrading it to H3D or H4D....if I can find the money.

There is very little money to be made from music these days - at least where the newspapers are concerned..... a few years back when I went to a gig I could have made €200-€500 .....nowadays ....IF I'm lucky enough to get something printed €50-€80 will be all that I'll make.

Similarly with sports events - I've kinda stopped going to the international events because theres very little chance I'll make any money from it ...and it costs me to be there..... might goto a few things this year - if possible the Uefa Cup Final at the Aviva.

with regards to the original topic ..... the quality is the same to me ..... but the difference is that our expectations have increased - the Irish Times have some great photographers who (like other staff photographers) sometimes can rely on agency photographers to supply the standard image while they try get something "different" ...which makes them stand out - while people in my position are left to gamble on trying to get something "different" or go for the standard shot.

Photography is more accessible to everyone nowadays - so people always think they can do better ...or they can do that shot....the Staff photographers are sent out in order to get a picture - sometimes they can use their abilities...other times they are restricted in just getting an image (which a lot of press work is getting like ....just get an image)

Advertisement