Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Satellite Set Up

• 01-01-2011 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭

I am fed up with UPC and poor customer service and am looking at moving to a new satellite set up and any advice would be very much welcome.

I have three TV's, two are HD LCD's and one is a CRT.

What would I need in order to cover all three TV's if each was to be viewing a different channel?

I know I need an aerial to recieve RTE etc, but what about DTT, would an aerial or STB be required?

If I want to have card reader, do I need one for each box or can I have one and feed all the boxes off it?

Are there different types of card readers?

If I was to subscribe to a Sky viewing card would I need a skybox to view this or would a particular card reader do the job?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

http://www.techtir.ie/saortv/freesat
    http://www.saortv.info/

Some TVs do Saorview without setbox.

You might get all the channels you want between aerial + dish without a Sky Sub. You need a Sky box for a Sky sub. But unlike UPC, although it's subsidised by your 1st year's minumum sub, and thus nearly "free", in a sense, you own it from day 1 and it gets the free channels when you cancel (though recording/playback only works when you have a sub).

There is Humax Foxsat HDR for Freesat viewing / recording, and other makes.

There is no combo box that properly supports freesat and Saorview in one box.

Forget about card readers (CAM) unless you are subscribing to non-Sky TV, which is really only for Sport as little is in English.

If you want Premireship football you need a subscription to Sky for Sky Sport or else some other European or Arabic supplier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭dubsaab

Thanks Watty,

I assume I will need a box for each TV, what size dish and how many LMB;s would I need in order for each TV to view a different channel at the same time?

Where I live is quite exposed so it is possible to site the dish and aerial at ground level or close to ground level? I know I should not attached the dish to the chimney.

Would sky let me use my own dish or would they insist on using one of theirs?

Dubsaab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sky don't insist on anything except Sky box for Sky Card.

As long as there is clear view to sky, at 22 degrees elevation (paper square folded twice).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭dubsaab

Thanks Watty

Advertisement