Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eastenders

Options
  • 01-01-2011 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

Anyone else really disturbed by Eastenders last night? (Ronnies baby dying)

A couple of years ago it would've been a really 'entertaining' storyline. Now I'm a mama it's just not sitting well with me at all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭XxXciaraxXx

It was horrible! I cried when she went into the baby and was saying open your eyes but when she went to the pub it was so disturbing! I had to go check on my little one after watching it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

yeah it really unsettled me, 3 years ago i wouldn't have cared at all, last night i was bawling! :o

it was just so sad, we ended up checking our 18 months old at least 50 times while she was sleeping last night :eek:

i suppose being a mammy changes you in ways you could never imagine beforehand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

read the storyline a few weeks ago and stopped watching. dont think they should embellish the already hellish story of cot death with kidnapping and mental illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Couldn't watch it at all tonight, Eastenders has been part of my viewing for the last 20 years or so but i just can't stomach these episodes. Surprisingly it has more to do with the 'baby swap' than the cot death.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

It was very sad and distressing to watch... I don't know who I felt sorry for - Alfie/Kat or Ronnie/Jack.... perhaps both.... but does that ever happen realistically? Obviously, Ronnie is not able to cope ... and has a lot of problems... its not fair on her to take on mother-hood if in that state... (but then Glenda should be shot for not looking out for her either....)

In fairness to Samantha Womack (who played Ronnie) I do not know how she did it and she's a mom herself in real-life so fair play for her acting.... but the plot thickens now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

SOO sad.. they could have managed the baby swap saga without poor ronnie losing her baba..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I think the 'baby swap' took it too far. A cot death is more than enough misery for Eastenders at Xmas/New Year. It'll make good viewing in the long run I guess. I wonder how long they will drag it out for...

When I was working in NMH I would dream about dead babies alot and those dreams came back to haunt me last night. I can't think of anything sadder than losing a child.

I know its only television, but it happens in real life too (well maybe not swapping babies!) And that's what makes it so hard to watch :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I didn't find it as hard to watch as some (my husband included).

I don't think it went too far really. It is a drama afterall and while it is going to extremes it does raise the issue of how something so awful can affect a person's judgement. Considering the character's history it was never going to be straightforward, she's an extreme character and her reaction was true to her.

I think in the coming week we will get a portrayal of the horror of cot death from the Kat and Alfie characters, hopefully it will be dealt with sensitively (as it usually does), maybe it will help some people.

I know what you mean about dreaming of dead babies CCL, my nephew was still-born and I still see his little face and dream about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Yeah was harrowing stuff. my wife realised what was gonna happen when your wan looked up at the open window after hearing the baby crying, so she asked me to turn it off. We spent the nex half our just staring at our little one, thanking God for her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭swizzle123

It really was a really weird storyline to have on New Years.. I know it makes great viewin but for anyone who has lost a child to cot death may not see it this way!
    In all fairness though you do have to hand it to the actors who are involved... Kat ALfie and Ronnie are doin a wonderful job! Recently read in a magazine where they were all interviewed that it was soo emotional for them as they all have kids themselves...

I really hope though that Kat gets little Tommy back... it sucks for Ronnie but Tommy aint hers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I wonder if they'll play the 'baby needs a transplant' storyline??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭rylie

Finding it really tough viewing, I kinda feel bad for continuing to watch because I genuinely think the producers have crossed a line with this story, soaps are meant to be entertaining and although eastenders was always grittier than other soaps it was still entertaining to watch. With this storyline I just feel upset and edgy after watching it. I've been up and down the stairs checking on baby rylie nonstop.

That's my tuppence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

t0mm13b wrote: »
    In fairness to Samantha Womack (who played Ronnie) I do not know how she did it and she's a mom herself in real-life so fair play for her acting.... but the plot thickens now....

She handed in her resignation when she received the script.

She handed in her resignation when she received the script.

OMG did she really???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

swizzle123 wrote: »
    OMG did she really???

Well it is now being denied that she is resigning because of this storyline, but she has resigned anyway.

I would say it is an awful hard storyline to play! I read today that due to over 6000 complaints in england they have to finish the storyline earlier than planned! They had planned to play it out foe over half the year but now they gunna finish it march time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

They had to take out the shot of her (Ronnie) touching the baby's blue little hand, they felt that that was a step too far!

Cot death is something that happens (very sadly) and like every other issue it will turn up in soaps every so often, but in all fairness I think someone would have noticed the baby was not theirs. I know all babies are squashed looking and wrinkly but you still know your own!

I don't think that situation should get complaints but I do think the switch and subsequence BS was unnecessary!!!

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I don't think that situation should get complaints but I do think the switch and subsequence BS was unnecessary!!!

Couldn't agree more. The reason soaps put story lines like these into the programme is to highlight the problem, however Eastenders totally went off the point off cot death and changed it into a drama over the swap.
    And what a wrong time of year to bring up such a story :(

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

swizzle123 wrote: »
    And what a wrong time of year to bring up such a story :(

Is there a good time for such a story? :p

TheQ47 wrote: »
    Is there a good time for such a story? :p

Yeah true... it isnt a pleasant story.. christmas is supposed to be a happy time though ya dont want to watch that depressing story?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 michellenangle

It was a sad story.I felt sorry for Ronnie At least she did the right thing in the end by telling the truth I dont think she should have been sent to prison she only did it because she had lost her own baby

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement