Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end

Options
  • 01-01-2011 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

A new log for a new year. The last one ended on a bit of a downer so I'm starting this one full of positivity and hope!

I'm coming back from an injury, my third significant injury of 2010, which was my first year running. I feel like I'm starting all over again - so a new beginning for me. I learned a lot in the last year but unfortunately didn't get any faster so that's my main aim for 2011!

My aim for January is to build my fitness back up - I will be taking it handy enough though to start, no hills or speed, as I don't want to aggravate my injury.

Sat 01/01/2011: 5 miles, 48:11 I ran this in the park and really enjoyed it! I'm looking forward to getting stuck into some training now after being limited to very little in the last month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Damn you, now I've got that song stuck in my head.

Good luck with the log :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Good title for the log! :D
    Hope 2011 is positive for you. Good luck with the log and the training.

P.S.
    Give me a shout if you ever want some company on a LSR in or around the Shangannagh park region? I'm planning on a pretty serious HM in April so there'll be plenty of 10ish milers planned over the next few months. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Good luck with your running in 2011. I suffered badly from injury in 2010 as well so I know how you feel. Cant wait to leave it all behind and have an injury-free 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Damn you, now I've got that song stuck in my head.
    I didn't think this through did I?! A year of singing that song in my head!
    Emer911 wrote: »
    P.S.
    Give me a shout if you ever want some company on a LSR in or around the Shangannagh park region? I'm planning on a pretty serious HM in April so there'll be plenty of 10ish milers planned over the next few months. :P

I would love that - I'll PM you!
    Bally8 wrote: »
    Good luck with your running in 2011. I suffered badly from injury in 2010 as well so I know how you feel. Cant wait to leave it all behind and have an injury-free 2011.

Best of luck to you too!

Sunday 02/01/2011: What a hangover. Feeling very delicate but it was the last night out of the festive season so what harm! Will get out for a walk later but couldn't risk jiggling my stomach around too much (bleurgh)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck with your new goals! I think it's going to be a great year for you, as 2011 is the year of the Rabbit ;).

• Advertisement

RubyK wrote: »
    Best of luck with your new goals! I think it's going to be a great year for you, as 2011 is the year of the Rabbit ;).

No way?! That's gas! Here's hoping! Glad to see you're back in action - have been keeping an eye on you log

Plan for the week:
    Monday: 6 miles
    Tuesday: 4 miles
    Wednesday: 60 min strength/cross
    Thursday: Club run
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: 7 miles
    Sunday: 4 miles

Monday 03/01/2011: There's nothing like waking up fresh and healthy having spent the previous day fighting a hangover! It's like being born again - I love it! Went for a nice run in the park, had company for a mile or so in the middle and overall it was very enjoyable. No real niggles to speak of and the weather is perfect for me - cold and calm. 6 miles, 57 minutes.

YTD: 11 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good luck with the log and staying injury free with 2011.

I love the day after the hungover days too - everything feels fresh and the world is good! I swore off alcohol for 2011 at about 10 am on Jan 1st...by 10 pm that was broken...that was a great resolution :(

Tuesday 04/01/2011: Back to reality day. Up early for work and out for a run on the seafront on the way home. My legs felt sore and it was tough going in the wind - a typical Tired Tuesday run! 4.0 miles 38:57minutes

Wednesday 05/01/2011: My first visit to the gym of 2011. It was not half as busy as I expected, though the staff said they were expecting it to be much busier next week! Hopefully not late in the evening when I go though. 30 minutes on the cross-trainer followed by weights and my physio exercises. I actually enjoyed it - I was hating the gym during the snow but it's good to be back!

YTD: 15 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck lady! Sure you're flying it already. I've been afraid to hit the gym as I haven't shown my face in about a month and it's pretty obvious... Here's to 2011 - a good year in the running career! :)

Thanks Clara! I'm keeping a close eye on your log, I'll be following your marathon journey with interest

Thursday 06/01/2011: Club run. Brrrr.... 1 degree on the car thermometer and my fingers were so cold they were aching - despite wearing gloves. It was a pace session for the rest of the speed demons in the club but I took it fairly easy and ran with one of the other members but we did more talking than running. It's a pity really as the legs felt strong - I need to get the finger out and do some speed work. On the other hand it's probably no harm to take things easy enough while I'm getting back up to fitness. Anyway, 3.2miles, 30 minutes.

YTD: 18.2 miles

• Advertisement

Friday 07/01/2011: Rest

Saturday 08/01/2011: The day didn't go as planned; I had hoped to get my LSR done but in the end I was happy enough to get out at all! 4.03miles, 36:50

Sunday 09/01/2011: Felt pretty terrible waking up but forced myself out and was fine once I got going! 7.10miles, 1:06:41

YTD: 29.3 miles

Monday 10/01/2011: Hit the gym for some strength/cross-training. 25 minutes on the bike, followed by weights and nice stretching. Enjoyed the session, but the gym was very busy with new-years-resolutionees!

Tuesday 11/01/2011: Back to pilates after an extended Christmas break. I'll feel that tomorrow! I was actually looking forward to my post-work run this week but the legs weren't cooperating. I have quite a twinge in my hamstring so I took it really slowly and I'll take an unplanned rest day tomorrow. Plenty of voltarol and hopefully I'll be okay. Anyway, end result was 5.3 miles in 54 minutes. I wasn't even very out of breath but the bloody legs wouldn't move!

YTD: 34.6

As an aside, I'm trying to be less regimented about my training this year and am trying to "roll with the punches" a bit more. It's really making the whole thing more enjoyable and I'm still getting the sessions in!

Wednesday 12/01/2011: Gym for some strength and stretch

Thursday 13/01/2011: Did the same 5k loop as last week - I really need to start pushing myself a bit more on the Thursday evening runs. But on the plus side at least I didn't stress out my twinging hamstring! 3.18miles, 29:47mins

Friday 14/01/2011: Rest

Saturday 15/01/2011: Met up with Emer for this one and really enjoyed it up until the last 2 miles or so! It was a new route for me - the first 2 miles were uphill and felt slow. We then had a nice bit of sheltered downhill for a little while, but then turned onto an open stretch and the wind really hit! It was tough running into the wind but overall the miles flew by up until mile 7 and then I really started to feel tired and hot. The last 2 miles were a little bit of a struggle I have to admit and I think I slowed us down here. I still need to work on getting my fitness back up - I was a wreck at the end of it and Emer looked grand! But overall I'm delighted as it's the longest I've run in a long time and it would have been a hard old slog on my own!
    9.01 miles, 1:30:45

YTD: 46.8 miles

runrabbit wrote: »
    The last 2 miles were a little bit of a struggle I have to admit and I think I slowed us down here. I still need to work on getting my fitness back up - I was a wreck at the end of it and Emer looked grand! But overall I'm delighted as it's the longest I've run in a long time and it would have been a hard old slog on my own!

I was delighted with the company, and I think the last 2 miles were tough for both of us - that wind was a killer!
    ...and if you think I looked grand at the end, I'm obviously a good actor :D

My training is not going well...

Sunday 16/01/2011: A "rest" day from running as I was busy all day - legs were tired so I was glad to stay active!

Monday 17/01/2011: Ran to and from the gym (the long way). 3.75 miles plus some strength work in the gym. All did not feel well with my hip/back on this run

Tuesday 18/01/2011: Hit the cross trainer due to pain in my back/legs. 30 minutes

Wednesday 19/01/2011: Rest day

Thursday 20/01/2011: Went to the physio first thing to get sorted, I'd planned to do a 6-miler afterwards. However there's quite a bit of inflammation on my lower back so I'm banned from anything high-impact for a week at least. So I'm allowed cross-trainer or bike only until I see him again next weekend. Was supposed to do a XC this weekend and a 2-mile race next week so that's a bit of an annoyance.

YTD: 50.5 miles (this won't be changing for a while :()

Hope you feel better soon and keep up the cross training. That's what saved me last summer when I wrecked my ankle. Just take it easy on your return and don't put too much pressure on yourself! This is all for fun remember..:rolleyes:

Sorry to read your injury has flared up again :( Mind yourself, and hopefully you won't be out of action for too long.

Well since I last posted I've been keeping active and have been spending some time on the cross-trainer and bike in the gym. Combined with the physio exercises I'm feeling surprisingly strong! I had a tough session in the gym last night, and was able to hop out of bed no problem this morning - usually the morning after a run I'm pulling myself out of bed as stiff as a poker! So fingers crossed I'm on the road back to health, and I'm definitely going to be incorporating more cross-training into my week for the forseeable future and hopefully it might help me stay injury-free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck, great to hear you so positive

Well since I last posted I've been keeping active and have been spending some time on the cross-trainer and bike in the gym. Combined with the physio exercises I'm feeling surprisingly strong! I had a tough session in the gym last night, and was able to hop out of bed no problem this morning - usually the morning after a run I'm pulling myself out of bed as stiff as a poker! So fingers crossed I'm on the road back to health, and I'm definitely going to be incorporating more cross-training into my week for the forseeable future and hopefully it might help me stay injury-free!

Great to hear! Keep up the good work. :)

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »
    Great to hear! Keep up the good work. :)

+1. Take it easy and don't over do it! See you around the park when you're back on track?

Emer911 wrote: »
    +1. Take it easy and don't over do it! See you around the park when you're back on track?

Thanks I'll be taking things nice and handy - I think I went back too quickly the last time. I'm playing by the rules from now on! Am allowed to do a few 20-minute jogs this week so I'm looking forward to that!

Over the weekend I went for 2 x 1hour walks and also went to the gym both days so hopefully the fitness isn't suffering too much! It's a pity I can't count miles on the cross-trainer or miles walked towards the 1000-mile count!

Monday 31/01/2011: This was supposed to be a gym night but time got in the way so I decided to try a 20-minute run. It wasn't so nice - my legs felt shocked (despite all the cross-training) and I was tired too. Covered 2 miles anyway.

Tuesday 01/02/2011: Woke up with a very stiff back and spent the day feeling very sorry for myself as I just didn't feel I was on the way back to health. Had a pilates class and ended up heading out for an unexpected run in the evening - I was with a group, nice and slow, and it was actually pain-free and enjoyable! So I was delighted with that, and not much pain/stiffness this morning either! 3 miles covered.

YTD 55.5 miles (hopefully this will start going up soon!)

Hmmm... it's been emotional. When I was younger we used to hate it when my Dad was off injured as he used to be so grumpy - I've seen myself act the exact same way in the last few weeks! I'm looking forward to getting back into it properly soon!

Wednesday 02/02/2011: A night off. I hadn't had a night in watching TV since Christmas - however it just made me grumpier!

Thursday 03/02/2011: Out into the gale-force wind and rain for a loverly run!!! Only 6 other brave souls turned up for the club run - I stuck with the gang for the first mile with the wind at my back, then sensibly slowed it down a bit. I even took a walking break going up the hill - my physio would be very proud! 3 miles run.

Friday 04/02/2011: Gym - 30 mins on the cross trainer and some stretching. Very unsatisfying.

Saturday 05/02/2011: 3 miles run; starting to feel a bit better. Going to push it an extra 5 minutes tomorrow :D

YTD: 61.5

Well I haven't had much to update in this log BUT my mood has improved (for which my OH is very grateful) AND I've been very good and sensible and listening to my body and have taken things really slowly. I'm actually starting to feel like I could start into a training program soon - I'm nearly scared to say that in case I jinx it!

Sunday 06/02/2011: 35 minute easy run - I'm building it up 5 minutes at a time. My legs were tired for the first 15 minutes of this but by the end I felt I could have gone further - but I stopped! I'm being so sensible I'm freaking myself out! Anyway, 3.61 miles in 35 minutes

Monday 07/02/2011: I got the weirdest calf pain out of nowhere in work. I limped to the train after work and decided to cancel my run. The fact that I was slightly hungover (on a monday! :eek:) didn't help. Home for a fry for dinner. Terrible start to the week

Tuesday 08/02/2011: Just a pilates class - felt great! I'm really starting to feel a bit stronger! Had something on in the evening so no run/gym. Very bold.

Wednesday 09/02/2011: After the laziness of the previous 2 days I was dying for a run tonight. I could have gone for ages but I stopped at 40 minutes. 4.11 miles - still taking it nice and handy. I can feel my form starting to drop so I need to build up slowly or I'll end up undoing all my hard work.

So I have a training program and a couple of short races penciled in - I'm not going to go flat out in the races; they're more to keep me interested. Fingers crossed I continue to get stronger and my back learns to behave itself!

YTD: 69.2 (I think the 1000 mile year is gone already!)

Just a pilates class - felt great! I'm really starting to feel a bit stronger!

Great to hear you're starting to feel stronger!

I've recently started doing a pilates class and think it's fantastic too. I can feel my core strengthening after each session. It's a great burn! :D

Delighted that you are feeling a lot more positive runrabbit :) Best of luck with the new plan. Take it nice and handy, and listen to your body.

Thursday 10/02/2011: Another rest day; had something on :o

Friday 11/02/2011: Up early for a pre-breakfast run - it felt pretty good! 4.66 miles in 45 minutes

Saturday 12/02/2011: After a very late night and only a couple of hours sleep I was surprisingly full of energy - it was a good idea to stay off the drink! Went for a walk with a friend and then to the gym.

Sunday 13/02/2011: Another late night; this time with wine. Got up for my morning run anyway but it was harder than usual. I'm tempted to go back to bed for an hour! 5.18miles, 50 mins

YTD: 79 miles

Monday 14/02/2011: I hit the gym for some cross-training. I was wondering why it was so empty on a Monday night, which is usually the busiest. Then I remembered it was Valentines day - there must be a lot of romantic souls in my gym! But I'm not one of them - left the OH at home playing PS3 :D!

Tuesday 15/02/2011: The aim was for a 40 minute run - I decided at the last minute to throw in 6x1 minute intervals. It felt great to be pushing myself but my fitness has really dropped. Still - an enjoyable run despite the rain! 40 minutes, 4.2 miles

Wednesday 16/02/2011: A long day in work, followed by the gym again for some cross and strength.

YTD: 83.2 miles

• Advertisement

Thursday 17/02/2011: Boredom had started to hit in after months of light training and doing everything slow and easy and flat. I hadn't had a race since September and missed out on a few I had booked into over Christmas/New Year.

So - since I was "discharged" from physio last weekend I decided to celebrate with a fit4life 5k race. I was determined to take it easy and not run myself straight back to physio - as it happened I didn't start my watch properly and only realised after half a mile and at that point it was impossible to keep an eye on my time so I just played it by feel. As usual I was at the back of the pack - we had to run up the same hill 4 times -I felt surprisingly okay on the hills and passed a few people out. I enjoyed every second of it - passing a few words with all the stewards/spectators and rousing a cheer out of the local kids every time I passed! I still had plenty (probably too much) left in the tank at the end - I forgot to stop my watch so had no idea what time I ran. I was hoping for 26:XX but was telling myself not to be disappointed with 27:XX based on the hilly course and the terrible few months of training. So I was delighted to get an email this morning telling me I ran 25:24!!! Woo! Happy out! :D

With warm-up and cool-down covered at least 4.5miles in the evening

Friday 18/02/2011: Rest day! a.k.a. working late :(

YTD: 87.7

Advertisement