Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done on the race, brilliant time. Great to see you getting back into it so strong. Letting yourself recover properly over the last couple of months, although tough at times, was definitely the best thing to do. You've been so good with the cross training and discipline to ease yourself back in - hopefully it'll be onwards and upwards from here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Thanks for the kind words claralara!

Saturday 19/02/2011: Up and out before breakfast - what a fab morning! Just a boring run around the block but good to have it done early. Legs felt fine. 45 minutes - 4.68 miles

Sunday 20/02/2011: Had some company for this mornings run which was great! I'm up to an hour on my LSRs now and continuing to add 5 minutes per week and so far so good (no pain) 6.38 miles, 61 minutes

YTD: 98.76 miles (taking forever to get the first hundred :()

My week is all askew thanks to work :(

Monday 21/02/2011: Had to do my pilates class this evening so no gym

Tuesday 22/02/2011: I was dying for my run tonight. I'll be doing a new route on my Tuesday night runs for the summer - a nice long tarmac cycle path that goes for a 1.5 mile incline - which I then got to run down! I then went off exploring a bit and did more than the 40 minutes I had intended. 4.79 miles in 45 minutes - a very enjoyable run.

Wednesday 23/02/2011: Was supposed to go to the gym but got the text to go give blood so took a night off instead

Thursday 24/02/2011: Tonight was a club run - the plan was for a 15 minute warm up, 25 minutes tempo (at 10-mile pace), and a cool down. There was a really big crowd out and I quickly fell in with someone I hadn't run with before - who I discovered after around 2 minutes was Emer911's LSR companion! It's a small world!

We ran the warm up with the group and it was pretty pacey for me - faster than tempo pace really! So the first 2 miles were gone at 8:48 pace, then I messed up my watch for a few minutes, and got all confused about times (the maths part of my brain seems to shut down when I'm running). The run felt tough enough at times and I didn't make it easier for myself by talking the whole way through! We never stopped chatting for the entire run so the time just flew by. Unfortunately after a particular lengthy monologue I realised I was going to either puke or pass out from not breathing so I had to stop dead for a minute. At this point I realised we had our 25 minutes done and an extra couple of minutes to boot. Add to that the 15 minutes of tempo warm-up and we had covered 4.7 miles in 42:20 which means a pace of approx 9:05 mins per mile! I'm delighted with that!

Cool down was another 1.1 miles at a slower pace so the total run was 5.8 miles in 54:20. Emer you might pass on the stats to your friend if you see this as I wasn't able to do the maths at the end of the run thanks to messing up my watch and she was wondering how far we had run! Thanks and enjoy your hills on Saturday!

YTD: 109.35

hmm... should update this more often as sometimes it's hard to remember back 4 days to what I did!

Friday 25/02/2011: I went to the gym but I can't remember anything about it

Saturday 26/02/2011: Up early for a pre-breakfast LSR. The emphasis was on the slow this week as after 2 enjoyable but tough runs during the week the legs were feeling it and I was conscious of avoiding injury. There were a few tough hills on the way and I kept it nice and slow - ran 6.50 miles in 1 hour 5 minutes (still adding 5 minutes a week).

Sunday 27/02/2011: Was in the pub on Saturday night and I forced myself to be a bit more sensible than usual as I wanted to get a run in on Sunday morning. Still, it was 2.30am getting to bed and I woke early feeling dehydrated and headachey. It was the run from hell - often if I can keep going for the first 10 minutes I get into the swing of it but no such luck today. Horrid run, cut it short and was glad to make it back alive! 3.86 miles, 36:47.

Monday 28/02/2011: Gym - mainly strength and core

Tuesday 01/02/2011: After spending 1.5 hours standing around in the cold I was cold to my core and not in the mood for running. My legs were numb from the hips down, I couldn't feel my hands at all, and my teeth were chattering. Nonetheless I said I'd give it a go - the first 10 minutes were fine but weird as I couldn't feel my legs or my feet hitting the ground. After 15 minutes the blood started to flow into my left foot, then my right, and eventually into my hands. They felt swollen and sore then so that's when the run really started to suck. I thought about calling it quits early but kept going for the 40 minutes - 4.15 horrible miles. I'm just about heated up now after a hot shower and a bowl of soup. Have some lovely chilblains for my trouble too :(

Hopefully that's the bad runs out of the way for a while!

YTD: 123.86 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Delighted all's going well for you runrabbit. Nice going on the LSR.

Fairplay for going out Sunday morning, hungover/dehydrated running is far from fun!

• Advertisement

RubyK wrote: »
    Delighted all's going well for you runrabbit. Nice going on the LSR.

Fairplay for going out Sunday morning, hungover/dehydrated running is far from fun!

Thanks Ruby! I'm off the booze for the next 2 weekends now, not even a solitary glass of crisp white wine....drool! Best of luck to you tomorrow!

Wednesday 02/03/2011: Gym. Again I have absolutely no recollection of what I did. I guess I did around 30 minutes on the cross trainer and then some strength work. I seem to go into my own little world at the gym!

Thursday 03/03/2011: Was really looking forward to this run after a tough day in work and it went well. It was a club run with hill repeats - I did 6 x 1min hill repeats, though to be honest I didn't exactly kill myself on them :o I had to cut it shorter than I'd planned as something came up and I had to rush off afterwards, so 5.37 miles in 49:41

Friday 04/03/2011: Rest! Working late again. Why do crises always hit on Fridays :mad:

Saturday 05/03/2011: Out for my now usual pre-breakfast run. I had a bit of a dull pain in my left heel, which I'm slightly worried about. I'm going to hit the nice flat grass of the park for my LSR tomorrow. It was a pretty boring run; I iced the heel when I got home and checked my training plan and realised I was supposed to be up-ing the time from this week - D'oh! But no harm - 4.76miles in 45:00.

YTD: 133.99 miles

Sunday 06/03/2011: Set out good and early for my "L"vSR! A nice misty rain was falling and the grass was good and muddy, and to top it all off my heel pain had cleared up a treat. All was well with the world. Of course around 5 minutes into the run the heel started hurting again :(. I was listening the the marathontalk podcast for the first time and the first 30 minutes flew by, then I met someone I knew and passed another 20 minutes or so running with them. Before I knew it I was heading back to the car with 7.28miles covered in 1:10, and the heel hadn't bothered me too much. The pain remained throughout the day though, like a bruise on the base of my heel and maybe a slight "pull" going up my leg.

Monday 07/03/2011: The heel was slightly worse - went to the gym and even the cross-trainer was niggling a bit so I made do with the bike and some weights.

Tuesday 08/03/2011: Pilates. I'm calling off tonights run in the interests of nipping this niggle in the bud. I'm even considering trying a spinning class tomorrow :eek: as I get very bored on the exercise bike on my own! I'm hoping to get out on running Thursday but I'll see how I feel - I've a couple of short races in the next few weeks so my priority is to be injury-free for them

YTD: 141.27

Wednesday 09/03/2011: Went to my first spinning class - it was much more enjoyable than doing my own thing in the gym. I think I'll try to make this class most weeks

Thursday 10/03/2011: I decided to give a little run a go, it didn't start too badly but my heel started to hurt after a mile or so. I cut it short - 3.17 miles in 30 minutes. A very demoralising run :(

Friday 11/03/2011: Rest day!

Saturday 12/03/2011: Was due to do a 50 minute run but thought my foot could do with another day off so did 50 minutes of cross training instead - 30 minutes on the x-trainer and 20 minutes on the bike.

Sunday 13/03/2011: LSR day. Hit the nice soft ground of the park for 4 solo miles followed by 4 miles with Emer911. It wasn't a great run by any means but the heel felt pretty okay and I was happy to get it done. And on a bright morning like that it's impossible not to enjoy it! 8.36 miles in 1:21

So overall a poor week of running but I got some decent cross-training done so hopefully it won't have affected me too badly. There'll be a bit of a change to my routine from next week when my day off will have to move to a Monday so hopefully I have a better week!

YTD: 152.8

Monday 14/03/2011: My new rest day. Not much resting though, out of the house from 6.30am-10pm does not make for a good start to the week...

Tuesday 15/03/2011: The heel is still niggling at me but I decided to see how it would fare on a run on the tarmac. Not great is the answer - I could feel it in every step. On the plus side I felt really fit - my heart rate and breathing felt very relaxed. I was just annoyed I couldn't push it a bit faster :mad: 4.2miles in 40 minutes. At least I know I can run the 5k on Sunday, but I'm forgetting about racing it - I'll just be there to enjoy it. It's a pity as it's such a flat course but I have another 5k in April and it's more important that I'm fit and pain-free for that! I'm still disappointed though...

YTD: 157 miles

runrabbit wrote: »
    I've a couple of short races in the next few weeks so my priority is to be injury-free for them

Have really fecked up my chances in these races now and I only have myself to blame :mad:

Wednesday 16/03/2011: Spinning again. Really liking this class

Thursday 17/03/2011: As I have races the next 2 weekends I knew this would be my last opportunity for a longer run in the park for a while. The heel/ankle wasn't feeling too bad, still annoying but not very painful. I was starting to feel positive for Sunday! 6.73miles, 1:05

Friday 18/03/2011: My heel/ankle was feeling very tender after the previous evenings run. Here's where I got really stupid. The OH and I both had the day off and had said a number of weeks ago that if the day was nice we'd go hiking. SO as the day was so lovely I popped 2 nurofen and off we went in the glorious sunshine.

I think it was the downhill that finished me off. I hobbled around for the rest of the evening - I had hoped that it would ease off overnight but it's still very painful this morning - a sharp pain instead of the dull ache that had been there. I'm such a genius - the 5k will be fun tomorrow :rolleyes:

If anyone knows any miracle cures please help!

YTD: 163.73

• Advertisement

Saturday 19/03/2011: Dragged my lazy ass to the gym for a half-hearted session. Not feeling the love today.

Sunday 20/03/2011: MSB 5k Day!

This had originally been a target race for me to get sub-25 minutes, but the previous 2 weeks had ruined that plan. I woke to find the ankle was slightly better - the really sharp pain had eased a little. Since I was unlikely to be subjected to random drugs testing :D I took a couple of nurofen to help me on my way too - and since nurofen makes me nauseous, a motilium to settle my stomach! It was a lovely sunny day, and I quickly realised on my warm-up lap around the green that I was going to need to shed a layer. I was wearing my singlet over a t-shirt and couldn't find anywhere to change (the queue for the ladies was snaking around the mansion house) so I ended up stripping in the carpark where the bag-drop is. Dignity; why have you forsaken me...

I placed myself midway through the field and waited for the off. The sun was beating down on my head and I was starting to feel overheated and drowsy. I don't take the sun well - it makes me migrainey - and I was wishing I had thought to bring my running cap! The race started promptly and I spent the first km trying to squeeze past slower runners and walkers. This was by far my slowest km - I should have stood nearer the front but I didn't want to compound the problem, as I expected to finish somewhere in the middle of the field. The first 2k passed without incidence, then the 3rd was up along the canal. The headwind and lack of shade took a bit of a toll here and, combined with the slow first km, I knew the sub-25 was out of the picture. The 4th km was okay, apart from the fact that I was feeling overheated and the stomach was starting to turn against me! For the last 1.5km I was nauseous and light-headed - I ran near the path in case I had to puke/faint. I knew my time was going to be respectable, and I had an inner conversation with myself "Just push it as hard as you can go, if you puke; you puke - you've a change of clothes back at the mansion house!" (again - Dignity - where are you?!). In the end the worry of fainting won out and I just kept a steady pace til the end, coming in upright and retaining my stomach contents at 25:15. My garmin stats were 5.07km in 25:20.

I was slightly disappointed; what if I had positioned myself further up and got a clearer start (my first km was 25 seconds slower than the rest). What if I had worn my cap, and avoided the nurofen (I was so full of adrenaline I didn't notice the ankle). But it's done, and unfortunately I won't be getting such a flat 5k anytime in the near future to try and better it.

A nice cooldown jog back to the car (which had been abandoned a couple of miles south due to the road closures) with my partner in crime who was equally disappointed - but who later learned that he had overestimated his time by 25 seconds as he had been going by the times the stewards were calling out and not by the chip! So a good ending to the day there at least!

YTD: 169.25

Well done on a great time runrabbit, you should be well proud of that preformance.

The thoughts of a 5K race gives me the shivers :eek: I've never done one, and don't have plans to ever do one :pac:

RubyK wrote: »
    Well done on a great time runrabbit, you should be well proud of that preformance.

The thoughts of a 5K race gives me the shivers :eek: I've never done one, and don't have plans to ever do one :pac:

Thanks a million.

5k races are grand, sure they're over before you know it (even for me!) :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

runrabbit wrote: »
    It was a lovely sunny day, and I quickly realised on my warm-up lap around the green that I was going to need to shed a layer. I was wearing my singlet over a t-shirt and couldn't find anywhere to change (the queue for the ladies was snaking around the mansion house) so I ended up stripping in the carpark where the bag-drop is. Dignity; why have you forsaken me...

Don't worry there were plenty of people doing that after including me!!

As for dignity foresaking you, there was worse...I was heading over to back wall in car park to stretch in the sunlight and as I was almost there I stumbled on a fella doing the full monty...cue the quickest turnaround ever followed by a chorus of laughter from people who had already seen him and were watching my progress :o

BTW well done on the race

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done, great time. 5ks are hard, because there is no room for error. Pressure is on from the start. That's why I don't like them, but they are a challenge. :)

shazkea wrote: »
    As for dignity foresaking you, there was worse...I was heading over to back wall in car park to stretch in the sunlight and as I was almost there I stumbled on a fella doing the full monty

Wow! MSB really pulled out all the stops with the free entertainment didn't they?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

shazkea wrote: »
    As for dignity foresaking you, there was worse...I was heading over to back wall in car park to stretch in the sunlight and as I was almost there I stumbled on a fella doing the full monty...cue the quickest turnaround ever followed by a chorus of laughter from people who had already seen him and were watching my progress :o

Ha ha! Brilliant! :D And to think I had my daughter in there too! That could have been one hell of an education?! :eek: :p

Thanks Shaz!

It's been a funny old week with not much running unfortunately...

Monday 21/03/2011: Rest day

Tuesday 22/03/2011: I was really looking forward to my late evening run, however my foot/ankle was really very painful so I cut it short and went home to draw up a new plan for the next few weeks involving lots of cross-training!

Wednesday 23/03/2011: 20 mins strength/core followed by a spinning class. Really loving it!

Thursday 24/02/2011: It should have been my LSR night but instead of running around on a lovely evening I was stuck in the gym doing my 1hour 15minutes on the cross trainer. Not fun but job done

Friday 25/02/2011: An unplanned rest day - too busy!

I'm hoping the cross-training will stand to me and I'll be all healed up soon!

Saturday 26/03/2011: Another gym session - 30 mins cross training followed by some weights

Sunday 27/03/2011: Dunboyne 4-mile race. I'd signed up for this ages ago not realising it was the week after the MSB 5k - and in the meantime hadn't really given it a second thought. I had a very busy week and 4 miles is a funny distance so it was only as I was heading out to the race that I started to think about what I'd like to achieve. I decided that I could definitely run 35:xx so that became my secondary aim, with my main aim being to enjoy it.

We got there early and got our numbers, chips and lovely t-shirts without any hassle. I cheered on the juvenile races, then tackled the long queue for the bathrooms, before starting my warm up which was a nice little jog up to the start. I ended up closer to the front than I would have liked as I simply couldn't push my way further back; but the straight wide road meant the field cleared quickly enough after the gun so hopefully I didn't get in too many peoples ways :o

The first 2.5 miles were uneventful - the pace felt comfortable but the course was quiet enough so I didn't get to indulge my race-hyperactivity; apart from getting the local kids to cheer me on. When we hit the village for the second time the crowds lining the streets were fantastic - it was just a brilliant atmosphere! The winner of the ladies race was running alongside me on the other side of the ribbon to the finish at this point (I didn't manage to keep up!). At this stage we were back on familiar territory, passing the community centre, and the carpark, and back up towards the start. There were more people around too for a bit of banter - I badgered a guy on a bike for a crossbar (no luck) and managed to get the guy with the loadspeaker to shout "up <my club>!" which was good fun (a pity all my teammates had long since finished and weren't around to hear it!

Back into the village for the final time and I thought to myself "if ever you had a sprint finish in you this is it". So I took off with around 200m to go - another guy responded and the two of us must have passed around 15 people before the finish! I even heard someone say "Jesus Christ" when I passed. A fantastic finish to a really fun race for me.

Garmin and chip time was 32:20 (for 4.05miles according to Garmin)

Wow! Great run there RR, and a good race report. Congrats on that! (PB I assume?)

• Advertisement

Thanks Emer! Yeah it's a PB - but my first 4-miler (and probably my last until next year!). Even with that it was a good race for me - according to Garmin my average pace was 8:01 which brings it to my fastest run yet (compared to 8:02 last week!).

If only you could bottle that feeling...

Well done over the weekend at Dunboyne RunRabbit, great finishing :D Glad that the ankle is behaving itself.

Excellent running yesterday, well done on the new PB. Sounds like a good race and maybe one for the calendar next year.

I just wanted to resurrect my log from the depths to say I'm still alive - just! It started with a stomach bug at the weekend and I'm not sure where it's going to end as the bugs seem to be having a free-for-all in my body - there's a few that have set up residence in my tonsils and they're making a go for my chest too.

It has been a long time since I have felt so terrible and I'm feeling very sorry for myself :( Haven't plugged in my garmin so the below are guesstimates - will update later maybe.

Monday 28/03/2011: Rest

Tuesday 29/03/2011: My legs were feeling tired for this one and it was slow going - I cut it short to around 30 minutes and put it down to the race on Sunday.

Wednesday 30/03/2011: Spinning. I felt so tired and drained for this class.

Thursday 31/03/2011: I decided to attempt my LSR after work since the weekend was going to be hectic. I kept the pace nice and slow, and the first 6 miles were very enjoyable. At around mile 7 the wheels came off and I felt like I was going backwards - I probably need a bit more food during the day if I'm going to attempt this again! Approx 8.3 miles in 1:20

Friday 01/04/2011: Another rest day - just couldn't fit anything in

Saturday 02/04/2011: I reckon this was my first hint things weren't right. Got up and went for a pre-breakfast 50 minute run - it was easily the worst run I've had in a long time.

Sunday 03/04/2011 and Monday 04/04/2011: Spent in bed/being sick

Tuesday 05/04/2011: Back to work and an attempt to get back to normal life. Got out for 2 slow miles but it wasn't enjoyable - or probably advisable as I woke up the next morning feeling worse again!

Have what was supposed to be a target race in 1 weeks time - given that I think it's going to take me several more days to return to health I'm not a happy camper. I'm in two minds as to whether to run it or to just help out at it instead.

My log had slipped to the bottom of page 6 - I really need to update it more often...

Wednesday 06/04/2011: Spinning class which was very enjoyable

Thursday 07/04/2011: Club run - 8 x 1 minute intervals at 1 mile pace. It was one of those runs that made me feel so slow - I seem to have the fitness but my legs just aren't fast enough. With warm-up and cool-down it was 4.92miles in 44:29

Friday 08/04/2011: Another unplanned rest day. I was too busy to get out - Friday nights just don't work for me so I'll be glad when I'm finished my Monday evening course so that I can reinstate Friday as my official rest day!!!

Saturday 09/04/2011: Went for a brisk 1 hour walk.

Sunday 10/04/2011: A 4 mile run was in the plan ahead of the race on Wednesday night. Things went wrong when I got lost (was not on home turf this weekend) so it was a longer and hillier run than I had planned. I went out a bit quicker than my usual pace too as I thought it was a short one - and it was also very warm. Not the best prep for the week ahead... 6.81miles, 1:02:24

Monday 11/04/2011: Another frickin rest night. And I'm not even enjoying the course :mad:

Tuesday 12/04/2011: I was really feeling those hills in my glutes today. The pilates class didn't help, but the gentle recovery run did. 2.02miles, 20 mins

Wednesday 13/04/2011: County 5k Road Race Championships. I wasn't "feeling it" on my way down for this - and the warm-up lap didn't instill confidence as my legs and glutes felt very tight and the bagel which I ate far too near the start was sloshing around in my stomach. I knew I wasn't going to be in a scoring position for my club so in a way I was less nervous than a lot of people there as I was only competing for myself! My aim was to finally go sub-25minutes but I wasn't going to be devestated if it didn't happen after my few bouts of illness.

It was 3 and a half laps of a flat course - once we set off I was able to ignore my niggles and I took the first km a touch too fast (4:42). I settled down and was feeling very comfortable for the next 3 (4:58; 4:58; 4:55). I knew after around 3.5km that I was going to break 25 minutes unless something went drastically wrong. I picked up the pace with around 700m to go and gained a couple of places, finishing the last km in 4:22 for a PB of 23:57! I was over the moon! A lot of great runs by the rest of the club too so there were plenty of happy heads around the place!

Thursday 14/04/2011: Rest

Well done on the pb runrabbit! That was great going :)

Friday 15/04/2011: Ran to the gym and back (approx 1 mile each way) and did some upper body strength work in the gym

Saturday 16/04/2011: Over a year into my running career and I had yet to tackle a 10k so I thought it was about time to fix that! Headed to the K-Club for the BHAA 10k race which was fantastically well organised. The weather was dull and cool - perfect for me. I hadn't given the race any thought so while waiting at the start line I decided to take it handy and enjoy it and aim to come in sub-55, which should be achievable and give myself an easy PB to break!!!

The first 2k went well at 5:04 and 5:10 and I felt comfortable, but on the 3rd km I started to worry myself thinking I wouldn't be able to maintain that pace and that km was 5:25. I soon relaxed again and the next 5km passed in or around 5:10. The 9th km was still feeling comfortable at 4:59, and running back up the driveway to the K-Club I was still feeling great and chatting away (a sure sign I'm not working hard enough) but when the finish line came into sight I decided I'd better put the foot down and I finished the last km in 4:30 to come in at 50:50.

Given how comfortable I felt I have to consider that maybe I could have gone a bit faster; but then again who knows. I do know that I really enjoyed the day - and if I had set myself too tough a goal I would have spent the race focusing on my watch and stressing myself out.

Superb race with great grub so hopefully will be back next year to beat that 50 minute goal!

10k in 50:50 - beats a boring training run on my own!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Congratulations, that's a great time! You must be chuffed. :)

wow you're on a PB roll here at the moment. Thats brilliant going, well done.

• Advertisement

Wow, great time, and you weren't even trying?! Nice! :D

Advertisement