Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Super result runrabbit, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Saturday 26/06/2011: Dunshaughlin 10k

Apologies - it's a long one!

I had trained with Dunshaughlin in mind for my sub-50 minute 10k attempt; 10k races (particularly cheap ones) being thin on the ground. I had raced a fair bit in the couple of months coming up to it. In the few weeks beforehand when I wasn’t doing any significant races I ran a specific session for it – 4x2k @ 10k pace 3 weeks out, 3x3k 2 weeks out. I found the 3x3k very tough, and I started to doubt that I would be able to maintain the pace over 10k.

I took a decent break in the week leading up to the race so my legs were well rested. I had a night out on Friday night, and while I was out late dancing in unsuitable footwear I took it easy on the alcohol side of things and was just a bit tired yesterday morning. The day passed by quickly enough and it just seemed to get warmer and breezier, which wasn’t helping the nerves! I arrived in Dunshaughlin with plenty of time to spare – and kept sipping water and lucozade sport right up to 20 minutes before the start. While I was in the registration hall my “happy song” came on the PA system – it’s a song that reminds me of great things – so that gave me a real lift and I started feeling more positive and less nervous! I did a brief warm-up, and warm it was, as I started sweating instantly.

A gentle jog up to the start line and after a bit of confusion the crowd in front of me started moving off and I started my watch (a few seconds late). It was downhill at the very beginning, quickly flattening out, and the first 2k passed pretty comfortably in 4:50 and 4:52. I was finding it warm already but trying to ignore it and keep focused – people had started slowing and I was passing them by. By the 3km marker my garmin was no longer synced with the official markers as I was doing so much weaving – this continued up til 5km where my watch was beeping around 50m ahead of the marker – I managed to keep on the straight and narrow a lot better from then on but I was aware that it was going to take me a certain amount of time to cover those “extra” metres and that I had to hold a few seconds in reserve rather than relying 100% on my garmin. Somewhere in the 3rd or 4th kilometre I looked at my watch and saw the pace at 5:00 which set off a brief period of self doubt - “if I’m finding it hard to keep the pace now I’ll never make it, this is awful, it’s all over... etc”. I desperately scrambled for something else to think of and managed to pull myself out of that hole. Kms 3, 4 and 5 passed in 4:48, 4:55 and 4:53, and then I crossed the official 5km mat at 24:41.

Km 6 was 4:51 - there was a brief downhill on this stretch, then we turned a corner for the first little rise. I kept telling myself that it was okay to lose a little time over the next couple of km as they were slightly uphill and I didn’t want to die on my feet for the last 2, so 7+8 were 5:00 and 5:06 respectively. I kept the effort consistent even though the pace dropped a little and I was really finding it tough at this stage – I was so overheated! The legs however were feeling fine so they kept turning over. Once I hit the 8km sign I knew it was flat from then on in, and I was so glad of this as my arms had started to chill which is a sign for me that my blood pressure is dropping. I kept plugging away knowing the end was in sight and hoping I didn’t start feeling too bad before the finish line. 9th kilometer – 4:48. I knew I had it at this stage as long as I could keep upright!

With 400m or so to go I came across one of my clubmates who was walking back along the course looking out for me - he started shouting at me to “keep going - keep it up” and somehow I managed to pick up the pace. He ran along the path alongside me encouraging all the way which was amazing, and I don't think I even got a chance to thank him afterwards! I could see the clock ahead of me reading 48-something and then click to 49 and I felt nearly dazed as I crossed the line, stopping my watch at 49:11 (so the last km in 4:47 and the 15 seconds for the “extra” 60m. Another clubmate thrust a bottle of water at me and I downed it in seconds. I hung around for a few minutes eating strawberries and chatting, and to be honest feeling a little emotional. I was just so chuffed that the training had paid off for me! I had kept the effort consistent throughout and I kept passing people, with very few passing me after the first kilometer or so. It also broke down some mental barriers for me, as I have some really bad race memories from last summer in my first few races where I set myself targets and failed, and this is the first time since then that I’ve been brave enough to put myself out there with a definite target in mind!

I managed to jog back up to race HQ as a cool-down (very glad of that today) – quick shower, grabbed a few biccies, then home for a celebratory glass or two of wine!

So that was a very long report but I’m so happy with my result. I feel I did the very best that I could have in the conditions – the hot weather doesn’t suit me at all but I’m glad I didn’t let it scare me too much! I’d like to try my hand at a winter 10k though – and see how I get on!

Garmin stats:
    10.06km in 49:11

Official stats:
    1st 5k: 24:41
    2nd 5k: 24:32
    Overall time (gun) 49:14

Sunday 26/06/2011: Couldn't sleep last night but got up anyway for a morning jog. The legs were feeling fine thank goodness, but I kept it short - 3.94miles, 35:29

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Negative split! Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Congratulations runrabbit, that was great going! Well done, all your hard work paid off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Just seen Mike's note - well done on the sub 50 - truely deserved!

• Advertisement

Thanks all for the nice messages!

Monday 27/06/2011: The tiredness from a poor weekend sleep-wise really hit today! Went to an extra pilates class and actually feel a bit more lively after it. Nothing else tonight.

Tuesday 28/06/3011: Pilates at lunchtime, followed by the BHAA 5k trail race in the phoenix park in the evening.

I had no expectations for this race at all; with Dunshaughlin at the weekend being my main goal I hadn't given this a second thought. I was also on duty for the evening, but at 10 minutes before the off i hopped up from registration and legged it over to the start as my warm-up.

The course was nice - 2 grassy (and sunny) laps with a few lumps and bumps to look out for and a nice deep dip to keep things interesting. My legs felt incredibly sluggish for most of the first lap - I only felt like I was starting to warm-up on the second. I managed to pick up the pace a little, and came in at 23:56 on my watch (bang on 24 official time). Then it was straight back on duty for the rest of the evening!

Wednesday 29/06/2011: Spinning. My legs felt tired - particularly my quads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Savage race in Dunshaughlin, well done you! And then again last night...amazing. :D I'm in the gutter this week :o

Thursday 30/06/2011: I was really looking forward to a decent run this evening - however my legs just wouldn't cooperate! They actually felt quite painful so I cut it short. Horrible run 3.76miles, 33:21

Friday 01/07/2011: Rest

Saturday 02/07/2011: I had a late night and a few glasses of wine on Friday so I wasn't really feeling LSR-ready when my alarm went off on Saturday morning. The first mile was horrible - my legs felt like they hadn't recovered at all. I kept it nice and slow and eased myself into it - but after 3 miles I was already feeling wrecked (damn wine) and I made a deal with myself that I would turn around after 5 miles and head back instead of following the loop I had mapped. By 5 miles things were feeling a little better so I kept going. It wasn't an easy run, and that was completely my fault, as I've been eating and drinking poorly, and didn't do proper slow recovery runs after the 2 races in the previous week. Still, job done, and a few hills on the way too. 13.46miles, 2:10:36

Sunday 03/07/2011: Slap up meal with copious wine on Saturday evening, followed by cocktails and a boogie on the dancefloor, and only vague memories of the trip home :o And to think on my run yesterday I was giving myself a stern talking to about cleaning up my act! Anyway, I had a brilliant night but needless to say I wasn't up to the 9.30am club run! It was a real shame on such a lovely morning. Got out for a short run in the early afternoon - 3.6miles, 32:40

Finally took the opportunity this afternoon to lay out a training plan for the dublin half. It's mainly based on one of Hal's plans - it feels good to have a focus. Just under 11 weeks to the off which came as a surprise! Also my first week will be hampered by the fact that I'm going to Oxegen Friday - Sunday (yes I know I'm at least a decade too old). I'm following up that with 2 races the following week, which isn't ideal. But hopefully after that I'll be ready to knuckle down and give the plan 100%.

• Advertisement

Monday 04/07/2011: 3m easy + strength was in the plan – I replaced this with 5k on the cross trainer + strength. I suspect I may be doing this a lot as previous attempts to add in the 5th day of running have just led to fatigue. This session was okay-ish – I got it done but I wasn’t as speedy as usual despite the effort feeling harder

Tuesday 05/07/2011: Plan was for 7 x 400m at 5k pace. I really struggled with this session. My legs just wouldn’t move fast enough, and I definitely didn’t reach target pace for a few of the intervals (haven’t plugged in garmin yet). Wasn’t really feeling this one at all and didn’t bother with a long enough warm-up cool down. 4.74miles in approx 41:30ish minutes.

Was pretty p*ssed off last night after the session and took solace in the biscuit tin :rolleyes: I really want to get my legs back to full working order. Two races next week - just going to try to enjoy them as I don;t have the legs or the motivation to make any serious attempts at speed!

Wednesday 06/07/2011: Spinning. Really tough class! It varies so much depending on the instructor!

Thursday 07/07/2011:
    LSR day - ahead of my weekend of festival-going it was my last chance! Warm evening but stuck to the flat grass of the park. Plan was 12 miles 3/1 (last 3 miles at planned half-marathon pace, which is approx 9:05 for my sub-2hr attempt).

The first 8 passed at 9:29 pace average and felt okay-ish. I met up with a group at the start of the 9th mile and picked up my pace then so it ended up being a 2/1 run instead as I did 4 paced miles at the end (only 1 with the group, the rest on my own). I actually enjoyed the faster running more, the last 4 miles were 8:59, 8:46, 8:38, 8:35.
    Overall it was 12 miles exactly in 1:50:56. Happy enough with that even though I know I made it easy on myself with the flatter-than-flat route!

So I can't see much running happening this weekend (though I just discovered I will have to log on remotely to do some work :mad:)

Beer time!!! :D

Friday 08/07/2011: Cross-training - dancing in wellies and drinking beer :D

Saturday 09/07/2011: Didn't feel too bad when I woke up so I decided to chance a little run while the going was good. It was new territory for me and was a gently undulating course. For the first mile I felt great and actually thought I might get a decent run in, but then I started to suffer in the heat and I felt very dehydrated and a little ill (too much beer). As it happened, it turned out to be a pacey enough run (for me), so all was not lost. 4.04miles, 34:33

Followed by a lot more dancing and beer

Sunday 10/07/2011: Bleurgh. Another rest day. Managed to perk-up by lunchtime for the last day of music but otherwise it was a lost day!

Monday 11/07/2011: Shattered tired and couldn't decide what to do with myself. In the end I ran out of time and ended up doing a very short run. 3.7miles 33.27

Tuesday 12/07/2011: 30 minutes on the cross-trainer.

Terrible few days of training - my lovely plan which I drew up just over a week ago is in tatters :(. I have a 5k race tonight and a 5-miler on Saturday and then I'm away again on Saturday night, so it will be hard to get a decent long run in. I'm just going to try to enjoy the races (no PBs), treat them as speed sessions, and start again next Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Sheesh! Seriously impressed... running while on the beer? Such dedication :p

Emer911 wrote: »
    Sheesh! Seriously impressed... running while on the beer? Such dedication :p

Yeah nobody was more surprised than me!

I might see you in the park on Saturday? Any goal time in mind? I'm heading west afterwards so straight out the N4, will have to bring the car in.

Wednesday 13/07/2011: BHAA Irishtown 5k.

A lovely evening for the beer garden - not so much for racing! I walked from work with a big backpack so was already too warm by the time I arrived. Nice bit of a warm-up and then it was time for the off. It was 2 and a half laps of the track, then 3 laps of the local park, and one last lap to finish. Flat as anything but a tricky course - i was stuck towards the back of the pack so my pace was dictated by those around me for the 2 laps of the track. i managed to pick up the pace in the park but there were so many sharp corners it was a little annoying. I was finding it tough enough, and after 3k a man who was passing me (while lapping me) gobbed in my face. My first reaction was to shout after him calling him every name under the sun, then I actually felt quite upset - the fact that he didn't even apologise. The disdain he must feel for us towards the back of the pack! And i was even running on the far left verge of the path so the faster runners would have room to pass!

Anyway, it was just about getting back to the shower then, so i kept the pace consistent til i reached the track then put the foot down for the last 400m. Passed everyone within reach, crossed the line, and wretched twice, as is my custom! I instantly feel better afterwards! Tonight there was no cool down, it was straight to the shower, which was cold. Hot water in the mens though I'm told (grrr...)

Garmin time was 23:47 for 5.06km, will update with official time and splits when I get a chance. Happy with the end result, and even won a spot prize in the post-race quiz!

Thursday 14/07/2011: Recovery run in the park. The plague of little flies/midges made this a horrible run - I've never seen anything like it before! Within seconds every inch of my clothes was covered with them - ew! I was delighted when heavy rain started and helped clear them a bit. On the run - I started out too fast but slowed down as my legs felt achey and my left ankle a little weak/bruised. 4.14miles, 38:24

Friday 15/07/2011: Rest

Saturday 16/07/2011: Irish Runner 5-mile race. I wasn't going into this with any expectations at all - my main aim for the day was to get out of there as quickly as possible as I had somewhere to be and I really needed to be hitting the N4 around 11ish! I arrived a little later than planned but bagged myself a parking spot just after the zoo and hung out in the car for a little while waiting for the rain to stop. At around 9:30 I threw on an old raincoat and headed off towards the start - I tied my raincoat to a park bench (if it wasn't there when I got back I didn't care), queued for the portaloo, and by then the pens were filling up fast so I didn't manage a warm-up :eek: Totally disorganised which was very unusual for me!

I got quite excited/nervous in the pen, and started to think about times. I knew that 38:xx should be possible, indeed I should have got it in Dunboyne except that I was too distracted! I decided to see how it went. Once we set off the crowds kept the pace down for the first half mile - which I was grateful for as my legs felt so tight! I was cursing myself for not warming up. I got moving a bit faster after a while but the first mile felt much harder than it should have - 7:49.

The next 2 miles flew by so quickly - the course was flat/downhill and there was nothing of interest to report - I didn't stop for water. Can't remember much about it at all - I know I was able to move freely enough and was happy-out. 7:35 and 7:23(!).

On the 4th mile I started to feel the little uphills, and I was aware of what was still to come! I was also aware that I was going good so I held back a little in preparation for the final mile. 7:38.

The final mile was tough. I kept going as best I could but I did slow a bit. I saw a guy puking on the side of the road - and the stretch between the "800m to go" and "400m to go" seemed interminable! I managed to rouse a cheer out of some supporters at the side of the road (I was wondering if they were boardsies) and just kept plugging away; I covered the mile in 7:50. There wasn't much of a sprint finish left in me but I did pass a few in the last 100m. I covered the last 0.02 of a mile on the garmin in 7 seconds which meant a garmin time of 38:24. My chip time matched and overall I was very happy - another PB (2 this week - 5k and 5mile)

Goody bag, banana, grabbed my rain jacket (nobody stole my bright-pink flowery raincoat that I wore in the oxegen mud last week for some bizarre reason!) and cool-down jog back to the car, and I was on the N4 by 11:05 - job done! In my hurry to get out of the park before the traffic I just hopped into the car in my shorts and singlet - I realised afterwards that my purse was in the boot and I needed toll money, and I also started to get cold after a little while, so some truckers at a petrol station on the N4 got treated to a reverse strip-show while I got myself sorted out!

Sunday 17/07/2011:
    The odds were stacked up against me for a LSR this week but I was determined to get something done. I had a long day on Saturday with a long drive straight after the race - and the evening involved some wine (too much). I only managed around 4 hours sleep and it was actually the tiredness and slightly dodgy stomach that were bothering me this morning even more than the tight calves. Headed out in the wind and rain on a very undulating route that felt HARD (It seemed to be all uphill even though it was a loop and the inclines weren't too severe at all!). A really tough run but I was delighted to get it done as otherwise it would have felt like another lost weekend. 10.13miles, 1:35:12

runrabbit wrote: »
    Thursday 14/07/2011: Recovery run in the park. The plague of little flies/midges made this a horrible run - I've never seen anything like it before! Within seconds every inch of my clothes was covered with them - ew!

LOL I had the very same thing on Thursday in the park. They were EVERYWHERE!! :D
    BTW: was that you shouting at me from the car on Thursday night?:p
    Saturday 16/07/2011: Irish Runner 5-mile race.

... a garmin time of 38:24. My chip time matched and overall I was very happy - another PB (2 this week - 5k and 5mile)

Goody bag, banana, grabbed my rain jacket (nobody stole my bright-pink flowery raincoat that I wore in the oxegen mud last week for some bizarre reason!) and cool-down jog back to the car, and I was on the N4 by 11:05 - job done! In my hurry to get out of the park before the traffic I just hopped into the car in my shorts and singlet - I realised afterwards that my purse was in the boot and I needed toll money, and I also started to get cold after a little while, so some truckers at a petrol station on the N4 got treated to a reverse strip-show while I got myself sorted out!

Hmmm.... talk about parallel lives! I did the 5 miles (though much slower than you - putting me to shame you are!), changed at the car and headed out the N4 too. Weird! :confused::p
    Sunday 17/07/2011: The odds were stacked up against me for a LSR this week but I was determined to get something done. I had a long day on Saturday with a long drive straight after the race - and the evening involved some wine (too much). I only managed around 4 hours sleep and it was actually the tiredness and slightly dodgy stomach that were bothering me this morning even more than the tight calves. Headed out in the wind and rain on a very undulating route that felt HARD (It seemed to be all uphill even though it was a loop and the inclines weren't too severe at all!). A really tough run but I was delighted to get it done as otherwise it would have felt like another lost weekend. 10.13miles, 1:35:12

Yip, similar day again, but I wussed out after 7 miles and called it a day at that. :o :rolleyes:

Spookily similar indeed! Yes that was me roaring at you from the car - classy bird that I am!

Brilliant running runrabbit, you are flying! I'd so love a sub40 5 miler, let alone 38.24 :eek: Well done :D

Well after having a great few months of training and racing I crashed and burned this week. Long working hours, severe and prolonged lack of sleep, and general worries meant that I just hit some sort of a wall on Monday.

I've only managed one 20min run, a half-hearted spinning class, and a 30min run since then. The runs were painful and slow - my legs are just so tired and heavy. Part of me thinks I just need a decent rest, another part of me is freaked out that this will drag on and I'll lose fitness.

I'm having a lie-in at the weekend and I'll see how i get on then. Working away next week which will be bad for running too :-(

• Advertisement

Well after having a great few months of training and racing I crashed and burned this week. Long working hours, severe and prolonged lack of sleep, and general worries meant that I just hit some sort of a wall on Monday.

I've only managed one 20min run, a half-hearted spinning class, and a 30min run since then. The runs were painful and slow - my legs are just so tired and heavy. Part of me thinks I just need a decent rest, another part of me is freaked out that this will drag on and I'll lose fitness.

I'm having a lie-in at the weekend and I'll see how i get on then. Working away next week which will be bad for running too :-(

Sheesh! We've all had those days (weeks?).
    Take a break and rest your bones for a bit. I know you'll be back up and running (oooh! bad pun) in no time. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on the 5 miler on Saturday, great time!

Sheesh! We've all had those days (weeks?).
    Take a break and rest your bones for a bit. I know you'll be back up and running (oooh! bad pun) in no time. :rolleyes:
    Getting there now but still not quite right!
    jcsmum wrote: »
    Well done on the 5 miler on Saturday, great time!

Thanks! Was pretty happy with how it went.

Sunday 24/07/2011:
    Well training-wise it was a disastrous week - but I took a total break on Friday and Saturday in the hope of recovering from the physical and mental breakdown! Didn't have much choice on Friday as it was all hours when I got home from work!

This morning I actually felt like running for the first time all week - the plan was 14 miles (3/1) but I decided I'd be happy to get 10 done slowly. I quickly revised that to 8 miles on leaving the house - it just felt so hard! To be honest I was pretty gutted. Such was my despondency after a sh*tty week that when a dog chased me and barked at me after 4 miles I burst into tears! Mad Ted!

I calmed myself and shortly afterwards met someone I knew and as soon as I started running with them and chatting it all clicked - I felt like I was going faster and it was easier. I wasn't looking at my watch during the run at all and in actual fact I didn't pick up the pace at all but I didn't feel I was dragging myself around as much! It's all psychological! Soon enough I had a good few miles done and it was time for me to head home - feeling a lot more positive! 12.03miles; 1:53:51

It's not going to be a great week of training for me this week either due to work commitments but it's no harm as I have a bit of pain in my right achilles. I'm going to watch it like a hawk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Maybe an easy week is just what you need. Sometimes a break is just what we need. Mind that achilles.

Bally8 wrote: »
    Mind that achilles.

I will - I promise! Tis very tender tonight

Nice going runrabbit, it's amazing what a bit of company on a run can do for you :)

Hope the achilles is feeling better today. Mind yourself.

RubyK wrote: »
    Hope the achilles is feeling better today. Mind yourself.

Thanks! Definitely feeling a lot better today but stuck with the cross training anyway! Short run tomorrow hopefully

Another mixed-bag training wise this week - I need to focus myself and start following my training plan!

Monday 25/07/2011: 30 minutes on the cross trainer and some strength work. My achilles still felt a little sore and crunchy when I lift my heel.

Tuesday 26/07/2011: Big improvement in the achilles today so I chanced a run. Kept it nice and relaxed, though I wasn't able to avoid hills because I was in a hilly area. Lovely evening and I really enjoyed the run. 4.53miles, 40 minutes exactly!

Wednesday 27/07/2011: Aviva mile. My plan was to arrive early and do a 30-40 minute easy run before the race, as otherwise I wouldn't get time to get a training session in. But I was driving up from the south of the country and I hit more traffic than I thought I would, so I just managed 2 laps of the track as a warm-up and then it was time to go. I had no idea how to pace it, but I felt pretty in control throughout and feel I kept it steady. On the 3rd lap it felt like everyone passed me, and on the 4th I finally woke up and realised everyone around me sounded like they were fighting for breath and I felt fine! It was time to push on! So I managed to get by a few people and finished strong - I really enjoyed it! That's probably a sign I didn't push myself enough though!

Not sure of the time yet as it's not on the website but I think it was around 6:45 so I'm very happy with that! Straight home afterwards as I hadn't seen the OH since Sunday!

Thursday 28/07/2011: Unplanned rest. Had to work late

Friday 29/07/2011: Planned rest!

Saturday 30/07/2011: LSR with Emer911! It was a very warm morning and I was completely disorganised and went out without my water - luckily Emer had a spare bottle to give me. The first 2.5 miles were relatively flat but we were both feeling a little tired so it took a while to get into our stride. Then we hit the first of the hills - Putland hill in Bray - there's a very steep part towards the top that is very challenging. There was a brief respite before we tackled the second hill - over Windgates on the road from Bray to Greystones. Around 1.5 miles of steady climb - but we were rewarded with 2 miles of downhill afterwards!

We ran back to Bray on the cliff walk which felt very tough in parts - especially as it was very hot at this stage. It felt like a lot of climbing, before a short descent into Bray. When we hit the seafront again the heat really hit us and the last couple of miles were a real slog. Poor Emer had to do another 3 at the end - personally I was wrecked! My face was grainy with salt and I just felt shattered! A tough run - garmin gives a total elevation gain of 1,300 feet. 13.84miles, 2:21.

Sunday 31/07/2011: A few too many drinks last night meant I woke up feeling really dodgy. I knew the day would be lost if I gave into the hangover so instead I dragged myself to the park for 5 easy miles. Feel all the better for it too (though I'm still craving junk food!). 5.17miles, 48:25

Fair fecks to you for doing another 5 today after yesterdays slog! And with a hangover too?! :D

• Advertisement

Fair fecks to you for doing another 5 today after yesterdays slog! And with a hangover too?! :D

The rest of the day was a disaster - I went downhill rapidly after that run :rolleyes:

Time to update again - I hate it when I have a whole week to update - and I have no excuses as I was on a week off!

Monday 01/08/2011: Strength and cross-training in the gym

Tuesday 02/08/2011: Took advantage of having time off during the day by meeting my Dad for a session. I felt great setting off and we did a 1.5mile warm-up at 8:41 pace. We then did 4x1km with around 500m recovery in between - the times were 4:22, 4:28, 4:24, 4:32 (laps 2 and 4 were slightly harder than laps 1 and 3). I was really hurting by the last one and the cool down was pretty slow! Not a bother on Dad of course! 6.6miles in 52:50

Wednesday 03/08/2011: An unwanted rest day which was a bit of a pain as I was feeling good!

Thursday 04/08/2011: Had to do my LSR today as I was going away for a few nights. The plan was for 12 miles with the last 3 at planned half marathon pace - the problem was I still wasn't sure what that should be! McMillan had me doing 8:11 pace based on my time at the 5-mile race - but I knew there was no way in hell I would be able to keep up that pace!So I decided maybe 8:30 should be achievable?! The plan was to do the first 7 miles at 9:30ish, then 3 at 8:30ish, then the last 2 at whatever I was able for (the last 2 on my way home are uphill). It didn't go to plan. I found the pace tough, and the morning felt heavy. I found the first 7 miles tough going (average pace 9:24) and in my mind I'd already given up on hitting 8.30 pace. I was right - my legs just wouldn't move for me and my 3 paced miles were 8:44, 8:55, 8:55. Then it was 9:28 pace for the last 2 miles. So overall it was disappointing in one way BUT it gives me a better idea of where I am and a more realistic goal! My time over 5 miles just doesn't translate to the longer distances - that's something to work on next year! 12 miles, 1:51:23

Friday 05/08/2011: Started my weekend away with the best of intentions by setting my alarm for a pre-breakfast gym session. Eased out the sore calves on the bike.

Saturday 06/08/2011: Had my alarm set again but I had a few drinks on Friday night and there was a wedding in the hotel that kept me awake most of the night so I decided to postpone my run for a few hours. Went out around midday - my legs felt sluggish so I took it as a very slow recovery run - 3.37miles, 31 minutes

Sunday 07/08/2011: Alarm was set again - and once again I bailed :o! 4 pace miles in the afternoon once I got home 34:49 minutes

Back to work and normal routine tomorrow - no more booze or junk food for me. Looking forward to getting the half marathon done and dusted and out of the way.

Advertisement