Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Thinking about my pace I decided to compare my LSR pace from last years half marathon prep to this year. There isn't much improvement! It was a real eye-opener - while my 5k/5mile/10k times have come down this hasn't translated over longer distances - or in my training runs in general :(. More effort needed in training for sure. And at least I have a realistic goal for the 10mile and half marathon (same as last years - which I didn't achieve!)

Monday 08/08/2011: My legs were like lead but I dragged myself around for 3 miles anyway. Very slow, very painful, very disheartening.

Tuesday 09/08/2011: I had a sore back this morning, having twisted it in some way in my sleep. I was due back to pilates after the summer break of 5 weeks off. She eased us back into it thankfully, but the pain moved into my shoulder. I still went to spinning but I was in quite a bit of discomfort so I wasn’t able to give it my all!

Wednesday 10/08/2011: My shoulder was still very sore when I got up but it eased out a lot over the course of the day thanks to some ibuprofen and a heat pack. After an 11hr day in work it was off to Irishtown with me for the BHAA 3k track race. I was moved up to a faster race and as soon as I heard that I knew I was going to be paddy-last or very close to it. I did a decent warm-up but the calves just wouldn’t loosen – I think the time has come to consult my friendly physio about the ongoing issues there.

The race was handicapped and I was in the first group. Waiting on the start line I had already come last in my head – and sure enough straight away they all got ahead of me – and I just let them. People were shouting at me to dig in but I just wasn’t feeling it so I kept my pace the same and just kept going. A big group of them got around 10 seconds ahead of me in the first lap and many stayed that same distance for the rest of the race (if I had only stayed with them?!). One by one the rest of the groups behind passed me and I let them. I didn’t feel like my lungs were bursting, didn’t feel sick, didn’t feel too much pain in my legs; I was working hard but I just wasn’t in the right mindset to push myself to a more extreme level of discomfort. I passed 2 people towards the end of the race to finish in 13:33 – but one of them was in a group behind mine so time-wise I was second-last.

I won’t get many league points for the race and while I’m pleased enough with the time I’m not sure about the performance. I seem to have a bit of a mental block about pushing myself past a certain level of discomfort (don’t get me wrong – I was working hard – but I watched a number of other races on the night and saw others giving it absolutely everything; 7.5 laps of hell. It’s only 3km – surely I should be giving it absolutely everything too?!)

Thursday 11/08/2011: A lovely evening and I was in the mood to get a decent session in. However my calves we like blocks of wood and wouldn't ease out. They were really very painful so I dropped out of the club session and pottered around for a couple of miles on my own feeling sorry for myself. 3.96miles, 36:49

Friday 12/08/2011: I finally took action and got myself a sports massage. I really really needed it. Very painful at times but "good pain"

Saturday 13/08/2011: The sports therapist warned I could be feeling a bit sore today and recommended moving my long run to Sunday. As it happened my legs felt pretty good when I got up, except to the touch (very tender). I decided to see how I fared so I nabbed myself a training partner for some pace miles on the nice flat grass of the park. As soon as I started I was stunned by how pain-free I felt - I think I really ignored how much discomfort I've been in the last few weeks. All went well and I really enjoyed the run - 5.06 miles in 44:00. :D

Sunday 14/08/2011: My legs were still tender to the touch and I was actually dreading this long run. I've thought long and hard about what I want out of running over the last week or two and I think I will be sticking to the shorter stuff in the future, as I just enjoy it so much more. So once the half is finished I'm planning to do "long" weekend runs of 60-70 minutes (no need to worry about water/salt etc - just enjoyable) and enjoy the group training sessions and race whenever I like - which is what I really love. I missed out on a 5km race today that I would have liked to do because I needed to get a long run in.

So with that decision already made it was hard to look forward to this morning's run! As it happened it went well - I set off from home and my legs felt a little sluggish for the first mile. By the time I hit the park at 3 miles I was starting to move a little more freely and I unexpectedly met up with a clubmate who joined me for some laps of the park. The company made the next 6 miles fly and I was delighted with that. I stuck to the nice soft flat grass again so I made it very easy on myself! Then it was 3 miles home (including the last horrible uphill mile). 12.05miles in 1:51:14.

The only downside of meeting someone was that it distracted me and I only took one of my chomp sweets after 3 miles and a small amount of my water over the course of the run. Usually I would eat 4 chomps and a salt tablet and drink my full bottle of water. Energy-wise it didn't make a bit of difference to me but at 9.5 miles I started to feel a bit chill and sure enough my arms were starting to feel cold and goose-bumped - a sign my blood pressure was dropping. A useful lesson for the few weeks ahead.

I'm as sick as a pike this evening - not sure if it's related to the poor hydration on the run but I have a very dicky tummy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Hope you feel better soon. Good running this week there though.

Monday 15/08/2011: Gym - 30 minutes on the cross trainer and some weights. It was a nice relaxed session - I was tired before I started but happy to get it done

Tuesday 16/08/2011: Tough pilates class at lunchtime. For the evening I had 3 x 1600m at "race pace" (whatever that is - I'm still not sure!) in the plan. Stupidly I ate a snack pretty much immediately before I ran - I was famished and unfortunately wouldn't be able to eat for a good while after my run. Usually I get away with a light snack pretty close to a run but I could really feel this lodged in my tummy. With it being a lovely sunny evening I decided to forego the session and just have an enjoyable run so I turned off the mile/pace display on my watch and set off into the park. As it happened, after a slowish first mile I picked up the pace nicely, and managed to get over 3 miles covered at sub-9min pace - so job done! I really enjoyed that run - I'm looking forward to some relaxed running after the half marathon. 5.49miles in 49:00.

Then it was back to Juvenile training so I covered another 3-ish miles (stopping and starting) at a very slow pace.

I still don't have a plan for the race on Saturday (pace-wise). I think I'll just start off around 9-minute miles and go with the flow. Mentally I feel like I'm winding down to the race now - I keep having to remind myself that I still have the half marathon to go 4 weeks later. I have to admit - I wish I didn't :o

I added up my miles for the YTD the other evening. I don't have a hope of reaching the 1000 this year but considering the majority of my miles were in the last few months I'm not doing too badly.

Miles YTD: 613.5

• Advertisement

Wednesday 17/08/2011: Spinning. Terrible instructor :mad:

Thursday 18/08/2011: Easy jog in the park. 3.18 miles, 29:50

Friday 19/08/2011: Rest

Saturday 20/08/2011: Frank Duffy 10 mile race

Apologies - it's a long one!

I've been apprehensive about this race since having a disastrous time at it last year (feeling sick and run/walking the last few miles). My fear was further compounded by the even worse half marathon experience (DNF). This year I had salt tablets and sweets and a bottle of water with me, and a road-id medical info bracelet in case they didn't work and I ended up in the back of the ambulance again! Prepared for every eventuality!

Another issue I had with the race was how to pace it. I knew I should be able to do sub-90. Realistically maybe even a minute or two quicker. My dream time was around 85 mins. Fantasy was to do 84:44 which would be exactly 10 minutes quicker than 2010.

By this morning I still had no idea what to do. I slept well and wasn't too nervous, I had breakfast and drove into the park. I was there very early so I put my feet up and listened to the radio for a while, before heading towards the start. My first stop was the portaloo - I'd planned to go again before the start. I bumped into a couple of people I knew and then jogged around a bit, seeing how the legs felt. My calves have been causing me problems and my right achilles was very niggly. I was a little worried about it but I knew that if I was at home it wouldn't stop me training so I decided that if I needed to treat this as a training run then so be it!

I found a spot in the crowd and waited for the off. Then I remembered I'd forgotten to go to the loo again! I decided I was fine - of course by the time I got moving I needed to go but it was too late then. I decided to just ignore it and hope for the best.

The first mile felt slow. There was lots of weaving in and out but I felt good, and the race adrenaline blocked out all the niggles as usual! 8:35. The second mile felt better again - 8:15. I was worried I was going too fast, but I felt okay :rolleyes: It was around this time that I met someone I knew and that I'd run with before. We started running together and chatted for the next 5 miles or so - and honestly they flew by and all niggles/toilet needs were forgotten! I felt so comfortable, and glances at the watch worried me that we were moving too fast, but I was well able to hold a conversation. 8:09, 8:17, 8:17 for miles 3, 4 and 5. I took a salt tablet with some water and a sweet at 3 miles.

Mile 6 we slowed considerably, and I think my racing companion started to struggle a little. I was feeling the heat along chesterfield avenue but otherwise I still felt okay. 8:44 for mile 6, and another sweet eaten!

Just before the last waterstation I lost my companion as he was starting to suffer. I pushed on a bit as I was still feeling fine - mile 7 was 8:15. Mile 8 was 7:59! When I saw that I thought "I'm going to blow up" but at this stage I knew I was going to be happy with my time regardless so I didn't care! I also passed 2 people I knew around this point which was a confidence boost and the thoughts that they could be tagging along behind me waiting to pass definitely spurred me on!

Unfortunately it was also around this point that I started to feel the effects of my low blood pressure. Despite all my practice and careful nutrition/hydration the race conditions and the warm day took their toll. I guess I just can't emulate that in training. I was starting to get really cold. I was pretty worried - with 2 miles still to go I was still a fair distance from home. I was also thinking about the half marathon - and how I would cope if I still had 5 miles to go!

Nonetheless I plodded on but kept very aware of my symptoms and hoped for the best. Mile 9: 7:43. Legs and lungs felt grand, stomach felt a little dodgy, head was starting to get a bit confused, upper body was freezing :(. The little hill up acres road distracted me nicely and then it was a long straight road to the finish. I was passing a few people along here but it felt endless. My head was definitely starting to feel fuzzy at this point - I could see all the tents but I couldn't work out where the finish line was. Finally my watch beeped for Mile 10 (7:50) then all of a sudden the finish was there in front of me. For only the second time ever I felt real emotion as I crossed the line. I just couldn't believe it! 23 seconds for the last 0.05mile (on my garmin) took me in at 82:32 - Chip time was 82:29!

To say I'm over the moon is an understatement. The good company definitely made it easier, and I felt really fit in both my legs and lungs. However my blood pressure issues definitely played up towards the end, and it does worry me for the half marathon. It also reinforces my plan to make these my last "long" races for the time being. I'll be nervous about pushing myself hard in the half marathon but I think I can be proud of today, and that's enough for me :D

Great time there and I think you probably got the strategy just right actually - balancing between pushing yourself and over-the-edge... just maybe take it a bit easier for the half :rolleyes:

Congrats again. I'm dead jealous!

Emer911 wrote: »
    Great time there and I think you probably got the strategy just right actually - balancing between pushing yourself and over-the-edge... just maybe take it a bit easier for the half :rolleyes:

Congrats again. I'm dead jealous!

Thanks Emer, I have no doubt that you could do the same if you had raced today. After Chicago is time to target some of the shorter races!

Will definitely be a bit more careful in the half - getting to the finish line is the name of the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great going runrabbit, you must be delighted with that preformance! Well done :)

• Advertisement

RubyK wrote: »
    Great going runrabbit, you must be delighted with that preformance! Well done :)

Thanks - I'm really happy and it was a big confidence boost!

Sunday 21/08/2011: 3 slow recovery miles. I was feeling a little bit tired but nothing too serious
    Monday 22/08/2011: 30 minutes on the cross-trainer and a very painful (but necessary) massage :eek: My calves are definitely a lot better than they were but I feel they could quickly regress if I'm not careful
    Tuesday 23/08/2011: An enjoyable run of around 45-50 minutes. I didn't turn on my Garmin so I have no idea of pace but it wasn't too slow - I bumped into someone to run with which was great. Followed by approx 3 miles of slow/stop/start running with the younger members of the club.
    Wednesday 24/08/2011: A tough spinning class - now that's the kind I like!
    Thursday 25/08/2011: A nice club run in a lucky break from the torrential rain! I had good company on this again and the first few miles were at a decent pace. I took the last mile or two a tad slower as I was conscious of my long run at the weekend. 5.3miles in 45:10.

Friday 26/08/2011: Rest :cool:
    So I feel things are going well at the moment - the running feels good and I'm feeling very positive about it. I've had company on all of my runs for the last week which has made a huge difference. Last year I was always way behind everyone in the group and I rarely had anyone to run with!

Saturday 27/08/2011: Up bright and early for my LSR. I was thanking my lucky stars that the bad weather of the previous 2 days had cleared up - I got some shock when I opened my front door at 7.55am to see the horizontal sheets of rain :(. I gave it 10 minutes and luckily it eased off again so I set out into the strong wind and drizzle.

It didn't feel as easy as it should have and I wasn't quite hitting the pace I wanted to for the first few miles - but importantly, I didn't let it bother me. Usually I'd be stressing out about it but I just shrugged and hoped the time on my feet would be the most important thing. I took in a killer hill on the way and felt strong on it - but my glutes are really feeling it today. I had to make up 2 extra miles in the park and I picked up the pace a little for them.

Overall it was a grand run, all felt okay, and the overall pace was grand too. 14.01miles in 2:13:12

Sunday 28/08/2011: My LSR yesterday was so early because we were travelling down to my OH's homeplace. Then last night I found out about a 10k being held in the village this morning. I really wanted to do it as I had 5 miles at half marathon pace in the plan for today anyway! However my glutes were feeling tight already, I didn't have proper race gear with me, and I knew I wouldn't hold back and run it at half-pace. So I decided to be sensible, concentrate on staying injury-free, and skip it.

When I did head out this morning (fully expecting not to hit my desired pace at all) I really regretted it as I had a grand run and my legs felt really good. I covered my 5 miles in 40:19.

I was regretting it even more when I went down to watch the start - the only club vests there were on 5 men and the field was mainly walkers/ fun-runners. It could have been my highest placing yet! Bloody typical :rolleyes:

#Miles YTD: 660.2

Monday 29/08/2011: Gym for 30 minutes on the cross trainer plus some strength work

Tuesday 30/08/2011:
    I had an interval session pencilled in but once I started running I knew it wouldn't happen. My legs felt really tired to instead I did a nice easy 3 miler, followed by 3 more easy miles with the younger club members. Overall 6.3miles in 58:45

Wednesday 31/08/2011: BHAA 2 mile track race. I enjoyed this one though I still haven't mastered pushing myself in the shorter races :o. It felt very comfortable until the last lap when I put the foot down on the back straight and passed 4 from there to the finish. I was still way back in the field but I was happy enough. I don't have the official time yet but Garmin clocked 2.13(?) miles in 14:00.

Very enjoyable evening all round!

Thursday 01/09/2011: I did something sensible today :eek: My knee has been niggling for a week now at the very start of runs. I also noticed it when walking today so I decided to forgo my run and instead went to the gym for some low-impact exercise on the cross-trainer. I threw in a few intervals to make it interesting. 8.5km in 45 minutes.

Friday 02/09/2011:
    Rest (hasn't happened yet but it will!)

Really hope these niggles clear up pretty sharpish...

Saturday 03/09/2011: I met a friend for a couple of drinks yesterday evening and even though I was sensible and went home early I felt slightly less than 100% this morning. I delayed my run by around 30 minutes before I forced myself out as I was determined to get the last long one of the year over with asap!

Because of the niggles earlier in the week I decided to do all 13 miles on the nice soft grass of my local park. As a result the route was very flat - and quite boring after an hour or so. Luckily I met someone on the second half so it passed by a little quicker. Delighted to get 13.1 miles covered (I actually didn't plan it that carefully - by chance we arrived back at the gate right on time!) in 2:00:54

My knee felt fine today but my foot was twinging during the run and is really quite painful now. I knocked it off a chair last weekend and there's a tiny bruise on the top of it but I have a lot of pain in my toes the last few days when pushing off. Fingers crossed it clears up soon :(

Things aren't good and I'm thoroughly depressed this morning. The inflammation in my foot didn't improve at all overnight - in fact the pain woke me a few times. From experience I know how long it takes foot issues to heal. I'm due to race the next 2 weekends; they are the culmination of months of training. I can feel them slipping away now.

This will be the third half marathon I've trained for and not completed. I'm going to continue to cross-train and hope for a quick recovery but I feel in my heart that this is the end of the 2011 racing for me. Why couldn't this have happened 2 weeks later?!!!

runrabbit wrote: »
    Things aren't good and I'm thoroughly depressed this morning. The inflammation in my foot didn't improve at all overnight - in fact the pain woke me a few times. From experience I know how long it takes foot issues to heal. I'm due to race the next 2 weekends; they are the culmination of months of training. I can feel them slipping away now.

This will be the third half marathon I've trained for and not completed. I'm going to continue to cross-train and hope for a quick recovery but I feel in my heart that this is the end of the 2011 racing for me. Why couldn't this have happened 2 weeks later?!!!

That's really hard luck runrabbit. Maybe it'll recover in time for the HM... Fingers crossed! Take it easy and rest up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

That's awful Runrabbit but as Emer says fingers crossed it will clear up quickly and the HM is still on the cards for you.

Thanks guys I'm slightly less hysterical this evening! It seems to be purely inflammation (ibuprofen takes the worst pain out of it) and nothing more sinister. I was worried about stress fractures but it doesn't seem to fit the profile thank goodness. It's very painful but you never know - it might clear up in time. I'm going to keep cross-training and hope for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks guys I'm slightly less hysterical this evening! It seems to be purely inflammation (ibuprofen takes the worst pain out of it) and nothing more sinister. I was worried about stress fractures but it doesn't seem to fit the profile thank goodness. It's very painful but you never know - it might clear up in time. I'm going to keep cross-training and hope for the best.

I've had a fair few foot injuries that sound similar. I have a Physio (ciran Fitz) who always clears up these niggles in quick time. Last year I was convinced I had a stress fracture but after a visit to Ciaran, I was back to normal training in 3 days!! I can PM you his details if you want. A lot of runners on here go to Ciaran and he is not nicknamed 'the magaician' for nothing.

• Advertisement

That would be great actually - thanks a million!

Sunday 04/09/2011: Spinning class in place of 5 miles at half marathon pace. Tough class so hopefully it was a good replacement.

Monday 05/09/2011: Pilates

Tuesday 06/09/2011: Yet more Pilates, followed by a session with the famous "magician" (thanks to Menoscemo for sending on the details). He feels the foot should heal up nicely so I'm delighted with that.

I followed that up with the gym. 6 x800m @10k pace was in the plan so I replicated the session on the cross-trainer. Sweaty but a good session!

Wednesday 07/09/2011: After feeling like Little-Miss-Smug last night with all my cross-training life finally got in the way! Was ill and not a wink of sleep was had so I've decided to admit defeat and retire to the couch after work.

Fingers crossed things start picking up soon. I just keep reminding myself that the hard work is done I'm just having an extra-long taper!

Thursday 08/09/2011: My first run in a while and I was expecting to feel fast and full of energy. Instead I felt rather sluggish and unfit. My foot still hurt but not too badly. 5.14 miles in 46:39

Friday 09/09/2011: Another rest day - I have no excuse for this one!

Saturday 10/09/2011: BHAA Firhouse 10k. I had no real hope of doing too well in this one, but a friend was planning to go sub-50 and I planned to hang on and do the same. Ran a mile or so warm-up and all felt pretty good apart from the weather. We set off at a decent pace and the first 2 km felt fine. However we quickly met the headwind and it was a hard slog from there on in. My friend and I usually spend the first 3/4 of a race chatting but we were both very quiet yesterday!

Around km 5-6 was the worst as we were on the second lap and I knew we still had the long uphill into the wind to face into. I was also finding the going really tough. Around 7km my buddy dropped back and I kept the pace consistent - but it felt like I was actually pushing on as a number of people ahead seemed to slow and I passed them one by one. I came in at 49:03 which I was very happy with. A new PB by a few seconds but it didn't feel like it as it was such a struggle the whole way through. My foot niggled throughout :( I wish it would get better

Sunday 11/09/2011: Out of bed early and my foot was in agony! I was determined to get my last LSR done so I hit the park and by the time I had a mile done it had eased out quite a bit. I met Emer911 at this stage and then another running buddy a few miles later, and we had a nice little comfortable jaunt around the park. 9.22 miles in 1:29:36

In the last couple of miles my lower back starting twinging and it's quite sore now. Between that and my foot I'm a wreck - I'm falling to pieces! I've the water heating for a bath and have a sports massage booked for tomorrow so hopefully I manage to get myself put back together before next weekend!

Sunday 11/09/2011: Out of bed early and my foot was in agony! I was determined to get my last LSR done so I hit the park and by the time I had a mile done it had eased out quite a bit. I met Emer911 at this stage and then another running buddy a few miles later, and we had a nice little comfortable jaunt around the park. 9.22 miles in 1:29:36

In the last couple of miles my lower back starting twinging and it's quite sore now. Between that and my foot I'm a wreck - I'm falling to pieces! I've the water heating for a bath and have a sports massage booked for tomorrow so hopefully I manage to get myself put back together before next weekend!

Well girl, you looked like you were flying on Sunday, so if your back was at you, you were hiding it well. :D
    Best of luck in the HM at the weekend. I'll be waiting for the report...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hopefully a few days rest will settle everything down runrabbit! Fingers crossed for you :)

Thanks both. I think I must have altered my gait to cope with the sore foot and threw my hip off in the process. I've had a couple of days rest and a physio session yesterday but unfortunately I'm still in pain. I managed to walk 3 miles this morning and struggled.

If I even think about the half I will cry. It HAS to get better on time. If there's not a big improvement by tomorrow morning I may have to accept defeat. Keep your fingers crossed that it's third time lucky for me.

I'm planning a couple of weeks of core and cross-training starting from Sunday to sort out all these niggles. Then hopefully I'll be back to the shorter stuff for the winter

Monday 12/09/2011 - Friday 16/09/2011: Nothing. My hip/pelvis completely seized up which meant I was having trouble walking much less anything more energetic! This was all as a result of my sprained foot which had altered my walking/running gait. I had a couple of physio sessions, and at the Friday evening session the Physio told me I should at least turn up to the half marathon and give it a go but to be prepared to drop out.

Saturday 17/09/2011: Dublin Half Marathon

I had spent the summer training for this - I had lots of long runs under my belt but I was very apprehensive due to my injuries and also due to a horrible experience last year where I fainted half a mile from the end! It was really important for me to go back and complete it - it may seem weird but I felt that I had to get it done and I wouldn't get the rid of the demons until I did.

I got a lift in to the park and limped off to meet a friend. He told me after the race that when he saw me coming towards me he thought there was no way I was going to be able to run more than a few metres - luckily he was very reassuring to my face! We lined up at the start and set off - the first mile was slower and felt harder than it should, and I knew straight away that Plan A (sub 1:50 - probably around 1:47) wasn't going to happen. Every step brought pain and I just couldn't force my legs to turn over any quicker. Plan B (sub-2hr) was still as achievable as Plan C (finish). Funnily enough my hip didn't bother me too much as all I could feel was my foot!

My first aim was to make it to mile 3 - I woo-hooed when I did! I chatted to my friend throughout and tried to ignore my foot. My Dad was in to support us and he had said he would be between miles 4 and 5 - so reaching him was my second aim. I got a real boost when I made it (and got a new bottle of water too!). Mile 6 was a slow one - It felt like a real slog on Chesterfield Ave. I managed to pick up the pace a little for mile 7 and before I knew it I'd reached mile 9 and Dad was there with more water! I couldn't believe I'd made it that far! Fitness wise I still felt very comfortable - were it not for the sore foot I really could have been pushing the pace a lot more :(

Just after passing the 10-mile marker the foot pain ramped up a notch. Every time my foot hit the ground it was like stepping on a knife. At 10.5 miles I told my friend it was time for him to go and get a move on so off he went - he finished 1 minute 40 seconds ahead of me.

I kept the pace steady and reasoned with my brain that I just had to keep going as even if I stopped I would have to limp back to the finish line and it would probably take me just as long as if I kept running! I passed a few words with some of the other runners but most were going flat out at this stage. It sometimes felt like I was going backwards because everyone else was speeding up - but I actually caught most of them on the hill! I didn't believe I'd actually make it to the end until I saw the 800m to go sign and realised that I hadn't made it that far last year. That was a good feeling. As always for these races in the park the last 800m felt endless! I crossed the line in 1:51:55 - feeling like physically I hadn't pushed myself too hard but mentally exhausted.

It took me an age to limp back to the car and I didn't get too much sleep with the foot pain last night - but I'm still happy I did it (even though it was actually very foolish and I'm sure I'll pay for it with a much longer recovery!). I'm taking a few weeks of easy cross training now to let my foot heal. Although I'm amazed at how well I did on a sprained foot I feel strangely dissatisfied because I know I'm capable of a faster time! One day I'll go and do a half marathon properly - but not for a long while! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

Fantastic effort while crocked, that time will be smashed soon.

I know that encouraging this kind of foolish behaviour (running on a injury? tut tut!) is frowned upon, but YOU GO GIRL! Wow, that was an amazing time even without the bad foot. You're going to smash that PB at the next time of asking!
    Congratulations! :D:p

• Advertisement

Thanks lads - fantastic sporting weekend all round for me! Up the Dubs!

Advertisement