Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

RubyK wrote: »
    Fair play to you for running the race, especially when you haven't been feeling 100%.

I took your water belt out for a test run on Saturday, it worked a treat! No more hiding bottles in ditches for me :D Thanks again for your generosity :)

Sorry - it only took me 2 months to get back to you :o . I'm glad the belt is working out - it's great that someone is getting some use out of it at last!

I wondered whether it was best to just let my training log die a natural death or if it was worth doing a final post for “closure”. Since I’m stuck at home with little to do this week I decided to summarise the past couple of months, and close off this log for good.

I started 2012 with Ballycotton in mind, and was very focused in my training and racing and was making good progress. Running 34:48 in the Raheny 5 was something I wasn't expecting, and was a real high point. I had a lot of other stuff going on in my non-running life, but the training was a good escape, until a couple of weeks before Ballycotton when I experienced a major crash in my energy levels. Looking back it is no surprise – everyone has a breaking point.

Ballycotton itself was a bit of a disappointment, and for a few weeks afterwards my body seemed to shut-down and I couldn’t get moving at all. I was still getting out 4-5 times a week but every run was a drag and I couldn’t hit any sort of pace. I had planned to train for a 10k later in the spring but with everything that was going on I decided to give myself a break and just run for enjoyment for a few months. Even without the pressure I couldn’t get my legs moving, and just over 5 weeks ago I was out for a gentle 4 mile jog on a nice flat track when I felt pain in my foot, identical to what I suffered back in September/October. This time there was no inflammation and the diagnosis of a stress fracture came quickly (3 different physios missed this in September, though in fairness I couldn't fit my foot into a shoe as it was so swollen). An MRI confirmed the worst – 2 fractured metatarsals. So at the moment I’m on crutches and aawaiting further scans etc.

So... I was a “runner” for 2 years, and I loved it. I started from zero fitness in Feb 2010, and there were many highs, and just as many lows. I was injured A LOT (I reckon approx 30% of the time) and I never achieved any remarkable times, but I discovered a real love for racing and being competitive, and made lots of great friends (some of them boardsies!).

For now I’m concentrating on healing. In a few of weeks I hope to start swimming a couple of times a week, and cycling at the weekends (on my new bike2work bike!). Once I'm fully healed I'll have to start a strength programme, to build up the ol' bones! I’d like to think that one day, maybe a few months from now, I might be in a position to run 5k maybe twice or three times a week, or maybe even take part in the odd BHAA race (wishful thinking?!). Who knows?! All I do know is that my days of following training plans are over. I’m just not meant to be a runner, in any serious way, so any running I do from now on will be slow and short, and hopefully painless!

So, to summarise a brief running career:
    Best performance: Raheny 5 mile, 2012 (34:48)
    Proudest moment: Running sub-50 in the Dunshaughlin 10k, 2011. I had trained with the sub-50 in mind, and it was the first time that putting in the training had paid off for me.
    Stupidest moment: Running the Dublin Half 2011 on a fractured foot (In my defence I didn’t know it was fractured at the time – I just knew it was agony!)
    Lowest moment: Dublin Half 2010 – fainting at 12.5 miles.
    Biggest regret: I had always dreamed of a sub-45 min 10k; that was my “ultimate” goal. I wish I had raced 10k around the time of Raheny to see how close I was, I reckon I would have got 46:xx...

Best of luck to all, and thanks to those who have given me advice over the past couple of years – I am trying to keep away from the ART forum as it just makes me jealous but it’s a bit addictive so I'm sure I'll be keeping an eye on all the exploits :o. You never know - I might turn up like a bad smell at some 5k or other in 2013!

And finally - remember to enjoy your running!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Well it was nice running with you RR.
    Take care of yourself and enjoy your future sporting endeavours - whatever form that may take. I've no doubt you won't be sitting on your a$$ for long anyway :D

See you around the park sometime maybe?

Emer911 wrote: »
    See you around the park sometime maybe?

For sure - I might be out there on my bike with the stabilisers in a few weeks :cool: I can cycle alongside you!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

runrabbit wrote: »
    I’m just not meant to be a runner, in any serious way, so any running I do from now on will be slow and short, and hopefully painless!

Now now, dont be throwing the towel in. Once you get over this patch you will be back running very soon. Seriously, once you get a good physio and get the right exercises and do it properly you will be flying by the end of the summer. Mark my words.
    You have a serious talent. I mean to have never run before 2010 and in two years bang out those times is something else. Believe me, most people wouldnt see results like that in such a short time or AT ALL. keep yourself busy in the meantime and remember you WILL be back running in no time. Ok?!!!!!

• Advertisement

keep yourself busy in the meantime and remember you WILL be back running in no time. Ok?!!!!!

Jeez you're bossy :rolleyes: I'm taking things very handy this time around - there's no rush on me at all. No more pressure either; I'd just like to be able to do the odd enjoyable race.

Considering my current pace is probably 45mins/mile I'm sure the improvements will be exponential whenever I do get back into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Exactly. Take your time coming back but theres no reason why you wont be smashing your PBs come the end of 2012. End the year the way you started :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Really sorry to hear you are in bother again, with injury :( Sounds like you have been through the mill. You made serious progress in two years, and should be well proud of your times.

Take the time you need to heal and strengthen up. You're right in that it's about all about enjoyment at the end of the day, and that doesn't sound like that was the case for you for the past couple of months. But, you will get back to enjoying it all again. Mind yourself, and please let us know how you are getting on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

Gutted for you, badly & sadly missed on the circuit. Time is a weird thing & who knows how you'll feel in three months. You remain a bloody good runner!

AJCOT wrote: »
    Gutted for you, badly & sadly missed on the circuit. Time is a weird thing & who knows how you'll feel in three months. You remain a bloody good runner!

Thanks, I'm sure I'll see you over the summer. Once I'm off these crutches I'll be at some of the races either helping or just spectating!

• Advertisement
Advertisement