Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running GPS Tracker for 2011

Options
  • 01-01-2011 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi all...

I'm relatively new to running (only doing it a year) and I'd like to now invest in a GPS style device to map my running distance.

I do not have an iPhone or any other GPS mobile device so I'm wondering what would be my best option?

I have been looking at the Garmin 405/305 watch variety, but as they are very bulky looking and are a little outside my budget I'm wondering is there a less pricey alternative?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I got the 205 on Amazon.co.uk for about £100 sterling. If you don't need a HRT it's pretty sweet. It's the same size as a 305 though, so bulky, but it's not an intrusive size or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The 205 would be the cheapest option for you. You could also look out for a Garmin 110, which would be more expensive, bit is a far more slender watch, so would tick most of your boxes (except price). Of course if you had a smart phone you could get a much cheaper (but less effective) solution.

I would start saving, and figure out if you really need one first. Then buy the one that's right for you. January 1st is never the right day to go out and buy a new fitness device!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 cargorlaur

Hi there, thanks for the replies Fluorescence and Krusty!

Having mulled this over for a week or two now and read/re-read all the threads here about Forerunner watches I arrived at a decision to get either the 305 or the 405. They definitely seem to be the best option.

The prices are very good online at the moment for these watches. So I feel it would be smarter to go with either of these two for a small bit more in price compared to the 110 or 205.

And, further to this, I'm leaning more on getting the Forerunner 405cx now as it comes with the interchangeable smaller wrist band, plus it allegedly has upgraded GPS compared to the original 405, so I'll once again sleep on it and make my final decision tomorrow I think!

Krusty_Clown...having read all of your reply posts on the Forerunner threads, you certainly are a wealth of knowledge! Thanks for that!:)

cargorlaur wrote: »
    And, further to this, I'm leaning more on getting the Forerunner 405cx now as it comes with the interchangeable smaller wrist band, plus it allegedly has upgraded GPS compared to the original 405, so I'll once again sleep on it and make my final decision tomorrow I think!

Krusty_Clown...having read all of your reply posts on the Forerunner threads, you certainly are a wealth of knowledge! Thanks for that!:)
    You're more than welcome. I understand (open to correction) that the 405cx uses exactly the same GPS chipset as the 405. No difference whatsoever. The only differences I know of are:
    1) A different algorithm for calculating calories during exercise that utilized your heart rate.
    2) It comes with a soft strap in the box.

If you find that the 405 is significantly cheaper, you can buy the soft-strap as an accessory direct from Garmin's website. May be worth a look.

Thanks!

Yes, I'd read there wasn't must difference between the 405cx only that the calorie readings are more accurate with the 405cx as it uses the heart rate monitor, plus the smaller fitting strap.

But I know I'd read somewhere that the 405cx had a more 'sensitive' GPS pick up range....not exact wording, but I'll see if I can find that link again.

Anyway, regardless the only reason I was considering the 405cx was that I sourced a 405cx for €167 coming from USA, not including the delivery charge, but I was going to use the free delivery within the USA to my Aunts house, and then get her to post it over to me.

But I'm wondering now if its a USA model will I be able to charge it here in Ireland...as they use 110 voltage????

I'm hoping that its a device that can be used universally around the world though?

Does anybody know if you can use a USA forerunner watch here in Europe?

• Advertisement

Thanks!

Yes, I'd read there wasn't must difference between the 405cx only that the calorie readings are more accurate with the 405cx as it uses the heart rate monitor, plus the smaller fitting strap.

But I know I'd read somewhere that the 405cx had a more 'sensitive' GPS pick up range....not exact wording, but I'll see if I can find that link again.

Anyway, regardless the only reason I was considering the 405cx was that I sourced a 405cx for €167 coming from USA, not including the delivery charge, but I was going to use the free delivery within the USA to my Aunts house, and then get her to post it over to me.

But I'm wondering now if its a USA model will I be able to charge it here in Ireland...as they use 110 voltage????

I'm hoping that its a device that can be used universally around the world though?

Does anybody know if you can use a USA forerunner watch here in Europe?
    Yep, it charges via USB, so it's not a problem. The European packs typically include a UK and European plug adapter, whereas the US only includes a US plug. That's the only negative point. I always charge mine via USB anyway, so it's no biggey.

*Edit*: Oh and yes, you can use it anywhere where there's a sky.

Thanks again, thats great! :)

Just on the charging via the USB, does it take a long time?
    (I'm just wondering as when we charge our little MP3 player via USB it takes quite a while!)

P.s I think the €167 is a good price for this model. I've seen the same model here in Ireland for €430 which is a huge difference in price? :eek:

Thanks again, thats great! :)

Just on the charging via the USB, does it take a long time?
    (I'm just wondering as when we charge our little MP3 player via USB it takes quite a while!)

P.s I think the €167 is a good price for this model. I've seen the same model here in Ireland for €430 which is a huge difference in price? :eek:
    I wouldn't compare with Irish prices, as for the most part, they are ridiculous! Amazon.co.uk is probably your best comparison point.

I would guess (cos I never sit there watching it) it probably takes about an hour to charge. I generally leave mine plugged in when not using it. The charge tends to last around 6-8 hours of actual GPS usage. With GPS switched off, it will probably last about a week or two.

Yes, here we are...I knew I had read it somewhere!!!:)

The main Forerunner 405 vs 405CX differences
    In 2009 Garmin released new running watch model – the Forerunner 405CX.

Forerunner 405 CX resembles the Forerunner 405 in looks and function.

405CX uses heart rate for calorie spending computation – this is more precise method. The 405 uses user profile and distance/speed
    Forerunner 405 CX has better GPS sensitivity
    Garmin 405CX has second alternative wristband for smaller wrists
    There is only one color Forerunner 405 CX available – Garmin Forerunner 405CX deep blue
    Forerunner 405CX always is bundled with heart rate monitor

Source: http://hubpages.com/hub/Garmin-Forerunner-405-or-405CX-which-GPS-sports-watch-to-buy

I'm guessing that the technology in both devices are the same though i.e same chip...as it doesn't mention this important detail anywhere on the official Garmin product website.

I would guess (cos I never sit there watching it) it probably takes about an hour to charge. I generally leave mine plugged in when not using it. The charge tends to last around 6-8 hours of actual GPS usage. With GPS switched off, it will probably last about a week or two.

Thats grand so...

Ok, once again, thanks for all the input...I'm very,very tempted to buy this watch...but I'll do a bit more thinking just to be sure!! Its an expensive decision so my heart is in my mouth here!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Garmin FR 305 half price with Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000FMQ296/

Overtaken by newer models, but a solid deal.

Still haven't made the big purchase!

Thanks Zabbo, yes I saw that, it works out at about €125...and then some postage on top.

Hmmm....still thinking. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Still haven't made the big purchase!

Thanks Zabbo, yes I saw that, it works out at about €125...and then some postage on top.

Hmmm....still thinking. :rolleyes:

Actually you'll get free postage due to the price afaik,

Oh? I didn't realise there was free post to Ireland with Amazon! I thought it was only for UK residents....Thats great!

Anyway...I'm still thinking here!! Never let it be said I made a rash decision!:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Oh? I didn't realise there was free post to Ireland with Amazon! I thought it was only for UK residents....Thats great!

Anyway...I'm still thinking here!! Never let it be said I made a rash decision!:D

Yep you do, it gets "FREE Super Saver Delivery" to Ireland, not as quick as paid postage but hey its free. :)

Ok...Im sweating here..."My order is being processed".

I just bought the Garmin Forerunner 405cx watch....phew...thats that!

I ended up buying it from Amazon.co.uk actually as I thought long and hard, and weighed up the pro's and con's...like what if there is a problem with it, and I need to return it etc...plus it has the correct volatage plug etc...etc, etc.

So, I got it for €220 to the door (it is currently £185 sterling on Amazon.co.uk)...which is a fair bit more than I wanted to pay but isn't that always the way with these things! :rolleyes: I'll call it my Christmas/Birthday present for 2011! (And I did get the free super saver delivery Cabaal, so that was great!)

Ok thats that!

Once again many thanks for you invaluable help...appreciate it!

Ok...Im sweating here..."My order is being processed".

I just bought the Garmin Forerunner 405cx watch....phew...thats that!

I ended up buying it from Amazon.co.uk actually as I thought long and hard, and weighed up the pro's and con's...like what if there is a problem with it, and I need to return it etc...plus it has the correct volatage plug etc...etc, etc.

So, I got it for €220 to the door (it is currently £185 sterling on Amazon.co.uk)...which is a fair bit more than I wanted to pay but isn't that always the way with these things! :rolleyes: I'll call it my Christmas/Birthday present for 2011! (And I did get the free super saver delivery Cabaal, so that was great!)

Ok thats that!

Once again many thanks for you invaluable help...appreciate it!
    Oh no! You bought the wrong one!!!!

<kidding>

:D

Just an update....got my Garmin 405cx in the post today earlier than the estimated delivery time, so tops marks there!:pac:

Its charging up now and I'll look forward to studying up on it later. I'll probably take it for its maiden voyage tomorrow! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Cabaal wrote: »
    Yep you do, it gets "FREE Super Saver Delivery" to Ireland, not as quick as paid postage but hey its free. :)

Ordered a 305 myself based on advice in this thread and others at 2am on Sat 15th and it arived 12 noon on Tuesday 18th with free super saver postage. Where as the bikemount for it I ordered for it the same time and paid postage for was according to the tracking number was only recieved by the royal mail on Tuesday and it still hasn't left England. :p

Well chuffed with it went out tonight with it for the first time. No where near as big as I feared its actually barely any bigger than my Fossil watch I normally wear. Heart rate monitor worked perfectly no peaks that shouldn't have been there. Have been using my nokia with sports tracker to track my runs and bike rides worked great but pain to have to carry phone and have been caught out in a few showers where I really feared it would be killed. It really is only good to tell you your average pace and distance though and the garmin does so much more. Really think it is a great investment and will be of huge help in training.

Thanks to Krusty et al for all the advice I've read here

• Advertisement
Advertisement