Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Edinburgh Marathon - 22/5/2011

• 01-01-2011 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,738 ✭✭✭

Course by GPS
    Race website
    Last years thread including poll results

Signed up for this on Christmas Day in the immediate aftermath of a borderline death-by-pudding episode :)

Looking at last year's thread it seems only a handful of Boardsies/Boardersers took part (?) but would be grateful if anyone has any tips on the route, expo, hotels etc.

It's billed as the UK's Fastest Marathon so will be looking to shave a few mins of my PB from DCM 2010.

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 3 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    0%
    3 stars (average)
    0%
    2 stars (poor)
    100%
    Git101aero2kronnie085 3 votes
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭aero2k

2 stars (poor)
    I did this in 2010 and really enjoyed it. The organisation is excellent, the course is downhill for the first 4 miles and very flat after that. It's an out and back course (note the finish is near the 8 or 9 mile mark) so you can get a lot of support from slower runners and walkers if you're a sub 4 hours guy. It's mainly along the coast and a bit exposed, so it could be a battle on a cold windy day. It's been a scorcher for the last 2 years - 25 deg in 2010 - but I believe they've had snow at least once.

There's a bus stop near the finish and it's about £2 back to the city centre.

Water and sports drinks are provided in bottles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Yeah it is very well organised. Was 27 degrees when i finished last year but absolutly no shade or wind so the heat was savage. Nice flat course as well and great finish in the race course. Very little support on the course if thats what your into. 2 starts, one for the so called faster runners and one for the slower runners. One disappointment i had was no expo, a few tents in the main park.
    Deffo a pb course and a lovely place to visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

I did this in 2010 too in the sweltering heat. They had a bit of a disaster in 2009 where crates of bottles of water were stolen so they ran out during the race which was also a really hot day. They were very well organised last year though and although it took me longer than I hoped, due to the heat, I really enjoyed the event. It doesnt take place in the city centre at all, but takes you out by the sea which is lovely. A bit congested at the switch over spots for the relay. The section just before the turnaround point was the worst for me as there was no support and that was where I could have done with it! it was through an old country estate, Gosford House. Nice flat course and lovely finish at the racecourse. Another little moan was the difficulty getting back to the city even though I had a pre paid bus ticket, it was a long walk to the stop. Eventually got a taxi. One more thing, why dont they start the marathon at 8am and the half at 10? Can't figure out the logic there! Best of luck with it and hope you get a cooler day than we did!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Not sure how many A/R/Tists are doing Edinburgh this year but...beware if booking accomodation via the race organisers. They are offering at least one city centre hotel @ £200 per night when it is available online @ £97 per night :eek:

My spending power has now greatly increased and the bars won't know what's hit them after the race :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭AngryLips

What's the course like? Nice scenery or boring/repetitive suburbs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭MaroonTam

I am doing Edinburgh this year. My first time running there (will be my second marathon), this is my home town...

As other posters have said, the race starts in the east end of the city centre and drops down hill for about four miles before tunring eastward onto the coast road. Sceanary there will be beach on your left with sporadic houses / small villages on your right with the Longniddry power station looming in the distance. That is until around mile 18, then you turn around 180 degrees and run back along the coast road. Finish line is on the coast.

Most of the route is quite a long straight(ish) road, which I am expecting to be mentally quite challenging...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

2 stars (poor)
    AngryLips wrote: »
    What's the course like? Nice scenery or boring/repetitive suburbs?

A typical RTE sports commentator (read GAA type) was interviewing the winner of a stage of the Tour of Ireland cycle race.
    "What do you think of the beautiful Irish countryside?" asks the commentator.
    "Looks like another cyclists ar$e to me" was the reply.

Edinburgh is a lovely city, by far the nicest of any UK city I've been to and I thoroughly enjoyed rambling around seeing the sights the days before and the days after the marathon.

On marathon day, the course is flat, the start favours downhill, possibility of a section being exposed to wind, good, well spaced water stations, as for the scenery ...
    Well... it looks like a runners ar$e to me ;)

2 stars (poor)
    RoyMcC wrote: »
    My spending power has now greatly increased and the bars won't know what's hit them after the race :)

It would be good craic if we could have a board.ie get together for a few drinks after the race. I'm sure there will be a good few of us there.

The session after Dublin was a great laugh and the bold Arthur G fixed my legs enough for me to walk - almost painlessly - the 3 miles to my parents house afterwards.

Git101 wrote: »
    It would be good craic if we could have a board.ie get together for a few drinks after the race. I'm sure there will be a good few of us there.

Up for that - not too many names down on the Spring Marathons thread yet though :confused:

2 stars (poor)
    Up for that - not too many names down on the Spring Marathons thread yet though :confused:

If I remember correctly, there were a good few people posting on last years Edinburgh thread.
    I suspect that aero2k and myself will have a few pints anyway so we'd be delighted to meet up with you or any of the boardsies after the run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

2 stars (poor)
    The countdown is on now, only six weeks, hope everybodies training is going well, I'm getting towards the excited stage at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,738 ✭✭✭Cartman78

:mad: Won't be 'toeing' the line in Edinburgh I'm afraid....5 days after starting this thread I managed to badly break 2 toes falling down the stairs.

Missed about 8 weeks of running and lost a helluva lot of muscle mass from my lower body. Back running now but will be targeting a 10k in mid May as opposed to a marathon PB in Edinburgh.

Luckily I hadn't booked flights/hotel etc.

Anyway...sorry for the whinge...good luck to all on the day:)

2 stars (poor)
    Sorry to hear that, shows how easy best laid plans can be messed up, at least your back at it anyway, loads of autumn marathons around ;)

2 stars (poor)
    Less than 3 weeks to go, all the hard miles done.
    Will taper madness set in?

My last long run on Saturday was my fastest long run this year, so I hoping this bodes well for Edinburgh.

Sorry to hear about your injury Cartman, hope you're recovery is going well.

Less than 3 weeks to go, all the hard miles done.
    Will taper madness set in?

My last long run on Saturday was my fastest long run this year, so I hoping this bodes well for Edinburgh.

Sorry to hear about your injury Cartman, hope you're recovery is going well.

I am just so glad to be on taper now. The endless milage of marathon training was really wrecking my head.

Just have to hope for a good day and some good form on the day now... :eek:

2 stars (poor)
    MaroonTam wrote: »
    I am just so glad to be on taper now. The endless milage of marathon training was really wrecking my head.

Just have to hope for a good day and some good form on the day now... :eek:

Yeah it was a long slog, sure the easy part is running it, cant wait :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

This will be a huge day for me.

It's my first marathon, I decided to take it on after my Mum and a close friend passed away within 3 weeks of each other in Oct/Nov.

Training has been tough, but I've done about 250 miles so far and I have done 2 15milers in the past 2 weeks. Any more than 15 miles in tranining and I think I might do damage (I'm a big lump). I already had a bout of Plantar Facitis in March and I don't want a reacurrance. I'm Just looking to get it done, and I expect something around 5.5 hour mark.

I'm very excited, I have lots of friends and family making the trip.

If it goes well, I'm gonna try for Dublin in Nov. I need something to focus on or I won't do the taining and I'll end up getting fat again.

Can't wait for it !
    Best of luck to everyone taking part ! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,738 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Enjoy the day...you only get to do your first marathon one time so make the most of it :)

Don't worry too much about your finish time either (you can focus on that in marathon #2,3,4,5 etc)

Best of luck to you in the marathon. I did this last year and it was VERY hot, so take on plenty of drinks leading up to it and throughout the race. Hope you enjoy the day and the trip to Edinburgh as you've had a tough year. All the best!

thanks fellas :)

• Advertisement

2 stars (poor)
    Got my race number in the post this morning, wasn't expecting that, one less thing to do over there

Only the running to do now, Ronnie, and of course the celebrating! Enjoy and best of luck!

2 stars (poor)
    Best of luck to all running.

For those who did it last year, note the slight change to the finish and the turn around point. I think the "loop" might be run in the opposite direction also. Shouldn't really make much difference - we lose the grandstand finish, but we don't have to run the last little bit on rubber mats.

2 stars (poor)
    Best of luck guys

@ Dublin Spur, enjoy the experience, as Cartman mentioned, you only have one first marathon.
    aero2k wrote: »
    Best of luck to all running.

For those who did it last year, note the slight change to the finish and the turn around point. I think the "loop" might be run in the opposite direction also. Shouldn't really make much difference - we lose the grandstand finish, but we don't have to run the last little bit on rubber mats.

It'd be great if we don't have to finish on those bloody mats, they nearly killed me last year.

Any Boards beers planned? I'm no longer running but might nip up to claim my booked hotel nights and to see a bit of bonnie Scotland.

2 stars (poor)
    Only the running to do now, Ronnie
    :eek::eek::eek:

2 stars (poor)
    Any Boards beers planned? I'm no longer running but might nip up to claim my booked hotel nights and to see a bit of bonnie Scotland.

Oh go on twist my arm, I'd be up for a few beers if there some planned :)

There will be many beers - does that count as planned?

the 3 sisters Pub is a very popular boozer
    Will probabaly be in there after the event

Good luck to all the runners !

• Advertisement

2 stars (poor)
    There will be many beers - does that count as planned?
    Now thats the kind of plan I like

2 stars (poor)
    It'd be great if we don't have to finish on those bloody mats, they nearly killed me last year.
    +1 - my horrible form was entirely due to the mats, and in no way related to the heat or the 26-and-a-bit miles ran before we hit them!

Just finished my last training session

Bring it on !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good luck to everyone. I'll get to do this one one day. :)

2 stars (poor)
    Arrived in Edinburgh today with aero2k.
    Weather is mild and dry but the wind is a bit strong, hopefully it will drop before the race.

Note for anybody who did this race last year, the collection point for race numbers is at a different location.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Racman

Arrived in Edinburgh today with aero2k.
    Weather is mild and dry but the wind is a bit strong, hopefully it will drop before the race.

Note for anybody who did this race last year, the collection point for race numbers is at a different location.

Best of luck to both of you. Of course the weather can change quickly there - it was raining an hour before the start last year and somehow it was 25C before we finished. Is a mild, calm day too much to hope for? My fingers are crossed for you. (I'm not there so I don't really care where the collection point is!)

• Advertisement

2 stars (poor)
    Looks like it's going to be a windy one, strong winds forecast for tomorrow and 30% chance of rain :eek:

On the bright side, I've been told that we should have a tail wind for about 17 or 18 miles and a head wind for only 8 or 9 miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Best of luck Git101, AeroK and anyone else taking part , dont let the weather conditions knock ye before the race

2 stars (poor)
    Seres wrote: »
    Best of luck Git101, AeroK and anyone else taking part , dont let the weather conditions knock ye before the race

Thanks Seres. Don't worry we won't let the weather knock us before the race, we'll wait for the gun :D:D:D

Aero is in mental race mode so he won't log on here until after the race but he sends his thanks too.

2 stars (poor)
    Only logged on to make a liar out of Git101!

Back to making a folding sail for tomorrow - can't find anything in the rules against it.....

2 stars (poor)
    Managed to finish..wayhay !!
    Happy enough with my time. I think aero was too, I'm sure he'll let you know in his log.
    The wind was tough for the last 9 or so miles.
    Really pi$$ed of about how hard it was to get back to the city, took fu*kin hours.
    On the bright side, had a very enjoyable pint with MaroonTam and clan afterwards.
    I'll put up a blog post soon with race details etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

fair play to ye lads look forward to the reports , have a nice evening , ye deserve it :)

Managed to finish..wayhay !!
    Happy enough with my time. I think aero was too, I'm sure he'll let you know in his log.
    The wind was tough for the last 9 or so miles.
    Really pi$$ed of about how hard it was to get back to the city, took fu*kin hours.
    On the bright side, had a very enjoyable pint with MaroonTam and clan afterwards.
    I'll put up a blog post soon with race details etc.

Weekend did not quite go to plan for me... Was running nicly on target pace early on, but by half way I felt I had nothing in the legs. Finished in 3:45:27. about 15 minutes slower than Dublin 10...

Flight home on Monday was cancelled due to the high winds, replacement flight today was cancelled due to the ash. Folks drove us to Stranraer to get the boat, bus from Belfast. Only just home after about 12 hours of traveling.

The highlight of the weekend was the beers with Git101 and areo2k :D

2 stars (poor)
    Weekend did not quite go to plan for me... Was running nicly on target pace early on, but by half way I felt I had nothing in the legs. Finished in 3:45:27. about 15 minutes slower than Dublin 10...

Flight home on Monday was cancelled due to the high winds, replacement flight today was cancelled due to the ash. Folks drove us to Stranraer to get the boat, bus from Belfast. Only just home after about 12 hours of traveling.

The highlight of the weekend was the beers with Git101 and areo2k :D

A tough day, not one for a PB but at least you made it back to Ireland.
    Myself and aero are hoping to get home via Manchester tomorrow.
    Really enjoyed the couple of pints afterwards.
    MaroonTam if you think that rates as a race report you better get typing again :D:D

2 stars (poor)
    I've just voted in the poll and given a 3. By way of explanation I would like to say that everything before the finish was excellent, afterwards is a different story. Some people had other issues but my biggest problem was getting back to the city centre after the race, the organisers and the bus people must have had some idea that there would be thousands of competitors and spectators needing transport back to the city, ffs how hard would it have been to put on some extra buses. In my opinion the only problem in an otherwise excellent event.

MaroonTam if you think that rates as a race report you better get typing again :D:D

To be fair - I had just been traveling accross land and sea for 12 hours and only switched the PC on to upload my Garmin of the race :rolleyes:

Need to warm up the typing fingers (and find a suitable gap in the work day) to get a bit more of a report....

Well Folks, just got back from Edinburgh via a combination of boat, train, hire car and taxi due to the bloody ash cloud.

Got the marathon finished in 5hrs 51min, I was very happy to break the 6 hour mark, especially given the howling gale I had to face into for the last 8 miles.

It was extremely tough but very rewarding and emotional in the end.
    Will I attempt another one ? I reckon I will

020.jpg

Me and my 2 pals who were also running for Anne and the Girls

021.jpg

2 stars (poor)
    Just arrived home at 11 last night after 13 hours of 2 trains, a boat and 2 buses and I thought the marathon was tough going:P.
    As for the marathon itself, everything was spot on until you passed the finish line (suppose I cant blame them for the weather). The first thing was only a minor issue, a 5 minute walk after the finish to get some water, could handle that. Collected the finishers t-shirt and medal witn no issues then to the baggage reclaim, a shambles. They had very little order on the bags, everybody shouting numbers, people going behind the fence collecting their own bags, which I ended up doing myself after 20 mins after I spotted it in an area where different race numbers were suppose to be. Then after pushing myself through the packed meeting point which had the way to the out to the buses nearly blocked, I faced around a 20/30 min walk to get a bus. Lucky enough there was no waiting around when I found them and arrived in the city nearly 2 hours after finishing the race.
    Ooooops little bit of rant, must be grumpy after all the travelling, better wait a while to do a proper race report ;)

2 stars (poor)
    ronnie085 wrote: »
    Just arrived home at 11 last night after 13 hours of 2 trains, a boat and 2 buses and I thought the marathon was tough going:P.
    As for the marathon itself, everything was spot on until you passed the finish line (suppose I cant blame them for the weather). The first thing was only a minor issue, a 5 minute walk after the finish to get some water, could handle that. Collected the finishers t-shirt and medal witn no issues then to the baggage reclaim, a shambles. They had very little order on the bags, everybody shouting numbers, people going behind the fence collecting their own bags, which I ended up doing myself after 20 mins after I spotted it in an area where different race numbers were suppose to be. Then after pushing myself through the packed meeting point which had the way to the out to the buses nearly blocked, I faced around a 20/30 min walk to get a bus. Lucky enough there was no waiting around when I found them and arrived in the city nearly 2 hours after finishing the race.
    Ooooops little bit of rant, must be grumpy after all the travelling, better wait a while to do a proper race report ;)

Looking forward to your race report.

I think you summed up the post race fiasco, although I was lucky enough to get my bag almost immediately.

Aero2k and myself left Edinburgh by bus at 9.00 am yesterday morning and arrived home at 2.00am this morning. Epic road trip :rolleyes:

2 stars (poor)
    Looking forward to your race report.

I think you summed up the post race fiasco, although I was lucky enough to get my bag almost immediately.

Aero2k and myself left Edinburgh by bus at 9.00 am yesterday morning and arrived home at 2.00am this morning. Epic road trip :rolleyes:
    The whole week was epic in all sorts of ways. It's good to be back, though!:D

2 stars (poor)
    Racman wrote: »
    - it was raining an hour before the start last year and somehow it was 25C before we finished. Is a mild, calm day too much to hope for? My fingers are crossed for you. (I'm not there so I don't really care where the collection point is!)
    It seems to be! :)
    seanynova wrote: »
    best of luck, i hope the weather will be kinder this year!
    However mad it might sound, we were lucky with the weather. On Monday there were very heavy (horizontal) showers, and the winds hit 70mph in the city and topped 100mph in other parts of Scotland. It was a challenge to stay upright, let alone walk, in those conditions, and not just because of post marathon tenderness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement