Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SOCIALIZING IN CORK?...........

Options
  • 01-01-2011 5:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭

HI FOLKS,

Happy New Year To All.

Are you finding yourself in a similar position that

Your recently single?
    Your friends are in r.ships?
    Your group of friends have moved away?

Can be fairly hard nowadays to break into a new 'click', and make new friends. I myself am nearly 29 and living in cork just a few years. Im easy going and love socializing, meeting new people and have a laugh.

If anyone can relate to this post send me and comment.

Have a nice day.

Rocky.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭LeNNoX

Hi Rocky,

Your recently single?
    No
    Your friends are in r.ships?
    No
    Your group of friends have moved away?---No

However, I'm new to Cork (here less than a year) so know how you feel. Thankfully I had some mates down here before I moved. Anyway that aside, I can only recommend joining some clubs, charities or turning up at events etc.

Soccer, Gaa, Cycling, the Cork City book club, the Cork City boards crew meet up for beers once a month (I plan on turn up at one soon myself), hiking, etc.... anything really, give them all a go.

People ain't gonna come knocking at your door, just you gotta put yourself out there and it'll happen.

Best of luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭rocky2010

Hi Lennox,

Thank you for your imput.

Rocky

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CarrieC

Hi Rocky,
    Can definitely relate! I'm the last singleton in a gang who are now married and/or have kids! I've literally joined boards.ie just to widen my group of friends..
    Am thinking that the best way to get out and meet new people is through some clubs and sports.. did you find anything since you posted your message?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 derek2009_

i can see where you coming from, lots of my friends are in relationships or have moved away (thank you recession)

also i have being hanging with the same crowd for the last few years and its sometimes hard also to break outta that "click" my intrests and hobbies changed, i wanna do more outdoor stuff hillwalking running etc, and my mates aint up for doing any of it.

be great to find some way to meet new people that also shared my interests

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

Hoping to get a Boards meetup arranged for next Saturday. Please see for details:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69959184&postcount=33

• Advertisement

Never new there was a social event been arranged from Board?

Or is it the same social group who dont like NON DRINKERS to attend...ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 allbout_bewbs

OP why not go to one of the meetings that they organise in the cork forum? they seem to have them all the time! never been to one so I cant say how good they are but surely the fact that they keep having them is a good sign! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

derek2009_ wrote: »
    i wanna do more outdoor stuff hillwalking running etc, and my mates aint up for doing any of it.

be great to find some way to meet new people that also shared my interests

Google it? There's a few hillwalking clubs/societies around the place that you could tag along to and get involved in. A guy here in work is involved in a group in Macroom that are very active, and there's also one in Midleton. I'm sure there's a group in Cork too but they're as elusive as yeti. I think the only way to find out what they're doing is to look for the odd poster they put up in Counihans.

There's plenty of running clubs around as well and I'm hearing they're getting loads of new members.
    rocky2010 wrote: »
    Or is it the same social group who dont like NON DRINKERS to attend...ha ha

We do get a handful on non drinkers at our social events. I think it's mainly due to the weather and peoples schedules that meeting up for drinks is usually the easiest and most popular thing that we do. Even though we call it a "boards beers" we don't actually tie people up and force beer down their throat.

....Unless they ask nicely....

Well its would be wrong of me to say that the Group here which arrange social events are the Board Group which i DID attend a few times before and although most of the group were nice people lets say i found it very much like an EGG.....The Yolk been the group which the leaders and close friends of the group and the White well.... that was just everyone else who didnt really matter to the rest of the main group.

So it wouldnt be right for me to comment if this is a different group as i dont know? Personally for me the whole alcohol think is not a problem for me, i have gone out with my close friends before for years to night clubs and bars and didnt have a problem i wouldnt be shy. However from some reactions ive had including the Board Group which i attended some did have a problem. Which i can understand both sides especially if your in a group of people there ALL drunk and they know one person aint well ..... lets say its understandable but i just dont have a problem with it.

Does the group in question here have a Face Book page set up? And what type of events does it do?

ROCKY

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

It is the same group but a lot of new people.

I no longer attend as I'm gone to Dublin.

It's a shame that there were miss understandings etc. The group usually get on fine.
    And the whole non drinkers thing is a bit exaggerated. Past few ones I've been to I never drank as wanted to be able to drive back to Kerry.

All the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I have organised (and been to many of the meetups).
    On many occasions I have not had a drink because I either didn't want to or I had to drive / be up early.

In the 2 years that I have attended and or organised the meetups there have been plenty of non-drinkers in attendance.

Young / old / drinker / non-drinker, EVERYONE is welcome at these meetups! While most do take place in a bar that has not always been the case. There is no issue at all with having a meetup somewhere other than a bar if that is what people want.

If you are new and are thinking about going to one then I highly recommend it! If you go and don't enjoy it no-one is going to get upset if you don't go to another...

As I am abroad I have not organised anything in a while, going to set up a poll to gauge what people have thought about meetups in the past.

Awwwh i see well i guess thats all i need to know.

Hope Dublin is going well for you. Happy New Year.

Rocky

Webmonkey wrote: »
    It is the same group but a lot of new people.

I no longer attend as I'm gone to Dublin.

It's a shame that there were miss understandings etc. The group usually get on fine.
    And the whole non drinkers thing is a bit exaggerated. Past few ones I've been to I never drank as wanted to be able to drive back to Kerry.

All the best.

Hi Kingtut,

Thank you for your reply to MY post. I would like to add i personally did attend the group a few times and although many have there opinions of the group and how they felt once they have been to the group i have mine to. Looking to justify or generalize how most felt does not take away how each person felt themselves.

In all my years of attending clubs, groups, courses, and events all over the world, were you meet groups of people from different background, cultures, and experiences, i was never so much insulted and shocked with how i personally was treated. And with respect it may not be your personal view or some of the others view but it is most certainally mine.

I am delighted that the group is / has gone strength to strength however the group is not for me. Hence why this is a post on the board.ie and NOT a post on your group social page.

My own vision is one which is positive, open minded and non judgemental and i accept people for who and what they are. This is not what i had found from my few experiences within your group.

Regarding your group i dont see the reason for you to comment on my posts and i wish you all the best for you and your group in the future.

Happy New Year.

ROCKY

kingtut wrote: »
    I have organised (and been to many of the meetups).
    On many occasions I have not had a drink because I either didn't want to or I had to drive / be up early.

In the 2 years that I have attended and or organised the meetups there have been plenty of non-drinkers in attendance.

Young / old / drinker / non-drinker, EVERYONE is welcome at these meetups! While most do take place in a bar that has not always been the case. There is no issue at all with having a meetup somewhere other than a bar if that is what people want.

If you are new and are thinking about going to one then I highly recommend it! If you go and don't enjoy it no-one is going to get upset if you don't go to another...

As I am abroad I have not organised anything in a while, going to set up a poll to gauge what people have thought about meetups in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Hi Kingtut,

Thank you for your reply to MY post. I would like to add i personally did attend the group a few times and although many have there opinions of the group and how they felt once they have been to the group i have mine to. Looking to justify or generalize how most felt does not take away how each person felt themselves.

In all my years of attending clubs, groups, courses, and events all over the world, were you meet groups of people from different background, cultures, and experiences, i was never so much insulted and shocked with how i personally was treated. And with respect it may not be your personal view or some of the others view but it is most certainally mine.

I am delighted that the group is / has gone strength to strength however the group is not for me. Hence why this is a post on the board.ie and NOT a post on your group social page.

My own vision is one which is positive, open minded and non judgemental and i accept people for who and what they are. This is not what i had found from my few experiences within your group.

Regarding your group i dont see the reason for you to comment on my posts and i wish you all the best for you and your group in the future.

Happy New Year.

ROCKY

Rocky please accept my sincerest apologies for posting in your thread. I just felt I had a right to defend a group that I had a big part to play in setting up.

I'll ask a moderator to delete my post.

Regards,
    kingtut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

:D:D:D

Very very funny thread!!

Hi Kingtut,

No need to apoligise and no need to retract your comment. As i said earlier we all have different thoughts, and views. Regardless of if i agree or not i respect others views and feelings.

In a world were we have lots of different cultures, backgrounds, and people with many different beliefs, values, and personalities keeping an open mind is very important.

My only regret regarding your group is there was some amazing and nice people which i didnt get a chance to get to know. Maybe one day there might be a chance to reconnect under different circumstances.

Hope your enjoying your break away and have a great 2011.

Rocky
    kingtut wrote: »
    Rocky please accept my sincerest apologies for posting in your thread. I just felt I had a right to defend a group that I had a big part to play in setting up.

I'll ask a moderator to delete my post.

Regards,
    kingtut

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

I would just like to say that Kingtut is a great guy and has put a huge amount of effort in organising the meetups. My first one was last September and I really appreciated how he made all newbies feel so welcome.

I know there are other boardsies who also put a lot into organising so I don't want them to think I am focusing on one person - it just happens that my own experience relates to Kingtut.

In my opinion you can only get out what you put in. If you go and expect everyone to be your friend then it will end in disappointment. Respect is mutual and has to be earned - it's not a free gift to every member!!

If your experiences were bad Rocky2010 then boards meetups are probably not the right place for you and maybe you should try some of the more focused social groups like:

http://www.meetup.com/New-and-not-so-new-in-Cork/

Hi Wispyman,

To be honest i have well forgotten people i have met within your group. If i seen them around i wouldnt even notice them and im sure they probably wouldnt notice me and thats fantastic.

When i started this thread it wasnt for members of the your group to start debating, promoting, thanking, or even part taken in it. I have stressed many times, your group has alot of good people from different backgrounds and cultures which is fantastic.

I can assure you my intention when joining the group was not to make friends i have many worldwide so it wasnt my intention to seek friends or respect as for me this is were we differ. I give respect to ALL as it is my belief that everyone deserves it unless they do something to take this away. And everyone should be treated equally and accepted for who and what they are.

Regarding your opinion of board meetings not been right for me i can assure you out of all the groups, clubs, and meetings i have been to i have NEVER been treated like i was by certain members. I can fit into ANY group, regardless of age, sex, race, cultures or backgrounds but thanx for the tip. Board meetings are fine, but i will agree YOUR group meetings is obviously not. Which i havent a problem with.

I would respect if your group members can now focus on YOUR group, YOUR threads, and YOURS comments and retract from mine with immediate effect.

Have a great day.

ROCKY

wispyman wrote: »
    I would just like to say that Kingtut is a great guy and has put a huge amount of effort in organising the meetups. My first one was last September and I really appreciated how he made all newbies feel so welcome.

I know there are other boardsies who also put a lot into organising so I don't want them to think I am focusing on one person - it just happens that my own experience relates to Kingtut.

In my opinion you can only get out what you put in. If you go and expect everyone to be your friend then it will end in disappointment. Respect is mutual and has to be earned - it's not a free gift to every member!!

If your experiences were bad Rocky2010 then boards meetups are probably not the right place for you and maybe you should try some of the more focused social groups like:

http://www.meetup.com/New-and-not-so-new-in-Cork/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Hi Wispyman,

To be honest i have well forgotten people i have met within your group. If i seen them around i wouldnt even notice them and im sure they probably wouldnt notice me and thats fantastic.

When i started this thread it wasnt for members of the your group to start debating, promoting, thanking, or even part taken in it. I have stressed many times, your group has alot of good people from different backgrounds and cultures which is fantastic.

I can assure you my intention when joining the group was not to make friends i have many worldwide so it wasnt my intention to seek friends or respect as for me this is were we differ. I give respect to ALL as it is my belief that everyone deserves it unless they do something to take this away. And everyone should be treated equally and accepted for who and what they are.

Regarding your opinion of board meetings not been right for me i can assure you out of all the groups, clubs, and meetings i have been to i have NEVER been treated like i was by certain members. I can fit into ANY group, regardless of age, sex, race, cultures or backgrounds but thanx for the tip. Board meetings are fine, but i will agree YOUR group meetings is obviously not. Which i havent a problem with.

Seeing as YOU are talking about Wispymans GROUP as you call it, I am part of this "GROUP".
    I was never in my life treated as badly by anyone I met for the first time as I was by you. And Im not alone as many of the people who YOU met that ONE time would also agree. So you can preach all you want about it!
    People have asked you to go to a boards meet up because they were trying to be friendly, and all you have done is said YOU were treated badly by the GROUP, and to stop posting in this thread. You dont even know this person you are writing to, and yet are putting him down, all because he wanted to be friendly.

Oooo sorry you are WHO again?.....Ooooo yes thats right a NO BODY. You should of got the message when your 1st comment WASNT replied to. Adsio...:)
    Cadyboo wrote: »
    Seeing as YOU are talking about Wispymans GROUP as you call it, I am part of this "GROUP".
    I was never in my life treated as badly by anyone I met for the first time as I was by you. And Im not alone as many of the people who YOU met that ONE time would also agree. So you can preach all you want about it!
    People have asked you to go to a boards meet up because they were trying to be friendly, and all you have done is said YOU were treated badly by the GROUP, and to stop posting in this thread. You dont even know this person you are writing to, and yet are putting him down, all because he wanted to be friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

This is stupid.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Webmonkey wrote: »
    This is stupid.

Yes, it is. rocky2010, I strongly suggest you just get the hell over it. I'm not tolerating any more of this petty bickering here. Everyone has the right to reply to every thread, regardless of who started it. You do not own a thread, nor are you a moderator of this forum. You've already been infracted, so let it go before it results in a ban.

Same goes to the rest of you - don't feed the troll.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement