Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Album recorded and mixed in mono

• 01-01-2011 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Some of you may remember me posting about recording in mono a good while back; well this whole album ended getting up made that way. That's right, recorded and mixed totally in mono. I wanted it to sound like something that was made in the 60s; I think I achieved that in some songs but I'll let you be the judge.

12 tracks, all free mp3s, so head over and start downloading! Cheers.

http://www.robertcrosbie.net/mono.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

its fantastic

well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

had a quick listen and i liked it. downloading it now. is there an option to dl it all in one go rather than track by track?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pinksoir

It's really excellent. Some fantastic tracks on it that are as good as anyone else releasing stuff commercially. That Ain't Your Soul isn't there though. Just a 404.

The mono thing really works. I've been toying with the idea of doing some stuff in mono myself, and I think I'll give it a shot after hearing this. One thing though, and I don't know if it's my headphones or not, but I heard quite a bit of clipping/distortion. My graphic equalizer shows a good few frequencies going into the red too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

pinksoir wrote: »
    That Ain't Your Soul isn't there though. Just a 404.

Fixed.

Thanks for the comments! Yeah, there might be a bit of clipping; I guess mixing and mastering in mono throws up several problems and with the limited equipment I have, it was the best I could do.

I've just got individual mp3s, I'll hopefully pack it all up into a .rar file in the next couple of days.

were you the bass player rob? ha, thats gas.. wouldnt have had a clue it was you :D

... and i wish windmill was my studio!

• Advertisement

were you the bass player rob? ha, thats gas.. wouldnt have had a clue it was you :D

... and i wish windmill was my studio!

No sorry, I mistook you for someone else on Boards who we did a session with, obviously not in Windmill lane. I am in the Riot Tapes but I'm not Rob the bass player (different guy - he's left now) - I'm a different Rob, the guitarist! :-)

No sorry, I mistook you for someone else on Boards who we did a session with, obviously not in Windmill lane. I am in the Riot Tapes but I'm not Rob the bass player (different guy - he's left now) - I'm a different Rob, the guitarist! :-)

well chris seems to be here there and everywhere... so its probably hard to keep up with what studio he's currently using...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Bluebirdstudios

Well done, mp3 sounds great. Nice touch with the free download I think that is an aproach that works best now. Hopefully people will support you and start to turn up at your gigs.
    I remember listening to one of the Red Hot..peppers albums that was recorded in mono and it sounded very tight and punchy and they manage to get great separation thats a real test of eq skills !!. Your tracks also achieved that.
    Well done again
    -Declan

Well done, mp3 sounds great. Nice touch with the free download I think that is an aproach that works best now. Hopefully people will support you and start to turn up at your gigs.
    I remember listening to one of the Red Hot..peppers albums that was recorded in mono and it sounded very tight and punchy and they manage to get great separation thats a real test of eq skills !!. Your tracks also achieved that.
    Well done again
    -Declan

Thanks! Well, the only gigs I'll be doing is with the Riot Tapes, who I'm a member of! Texas Galaxy only really exist by name (was my own old band before I joined the Riot Tapes on guitar).

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Gonna take a brief break from my self-imposed exile from MP to say:

Rob is a huge talent, this is why I approached him in the first place!

I personally LOVE this mono record and hope all of you guys give it a listen!

Good job Rob!

• Advertisement

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Gonna take a brief break from my self-imposed exile from MP to say:

Rob is a huge talent, this is why I approached him in the first place!

I personally LOVE this mono record and hope all of you guys give it a listen!

Good job Rob!

Yippee!

You can now stream the tracks here: http://soundcloud.com/robert-crosbie/sets/mono-1/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dasdog

I've always got time to listen to someone trying a different approach. This is not only that...it's really good.

dasdog wrote: »
    I've always got time to listen to someone trying a different approach. This is not only that...it's really good.

Yey! Thanks!! Any inkling yet of a favourite track from anyone? Just curious...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Yey! Thanks!! Any inkling yet of a favourite track from anyone? Just curious...

Just having a listen to this on the bus on the way in to work - good mix! (in both senses!)

I'm hearing bits of oasis (wild flowers), kt tunstall (what do we do now), Lenny kravitz (that ain't...)

Liking it a lot so far!

davenewt wrote: »
    Just having a listen to this on the bus on the way in to work - good mix! (in both senses!)

I'm hearing bits of oasis (wild flowers), kt tunstall (what do we do now), Lenny kravitz (that ain't...)

Liking it a lot so far!

Thanks so much. I totally hear you about those references, not what I was thinking of when I was making them, but that's still really cool! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

2. Elephant -- like this in a talking heads sort of way

4. Why Don't You Look -- again a great tune , chartable i reckon

7. Illusions - really liked this feel
    8. That Ain't Your Soul -- chorus stood out , not keen on the verses
    9. Head Out --- top class track , id even say chartable
    10. Help Me Brother ---- overall tasty tasty - great vibe

12 Free to Repeat - like its madness alot

these were my stand outs

DaDumTish wrote: »
    2. Elephant -- like this in a talking heads sort of way

4. Why Don't You Look -- again a great tune , chartable i reckon

7. Illusions - really liked this feel
    8. That Ain't Your Soul -- chorus stood out , not keen on the verses
    9. Head Out --- top class track , id even say chartable
    10. Help Me Brother ---- overall tasty tasty - great vibe

12 Free to Repeat - like its madness alot

these were my stand outs

Cheers Tony! I know what you mean about the verses of That Ain't Your Soul - they're more a way of getting to the chorus!

Thanks for the comments!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

The tracks sound great! I really dig the mono mixes. I got an Jefferson Airplane album a while back with some mono mixes on it. The songs sounded much better!

Advertisement