Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old house - best options?

Options
  • 01-01-2011 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Maybe this post belongs elsewhere- if so Mod please move! Ta
    My Monster-in-law is in her 70s and house is close enough to that too. solid block walls. insulation none existent. NO central heating. range with back boiler for heating water.
    Bungalow with 4 beds/sittingroom/kitchen/mouldy bathrom and flat roof kitchen/pantry at back.
    The house is a fridge (or a freezer in recent weeks) she has electric heater tied to her apron going around with her!) Damp and condensation in bedrooms. was ice on inside of windows during freeze! I vote a bulldozer will solve it but not an option. Internal insulation not ideal cos of room sizes. so external looks way to go.
    anybody any other recommendations and rough idea of prices. probably 60m ish perimeter.
    i know she can get SEIA grants-can someone confirm she can get boiler grant if it is not an upgrade but part of a whole new heating system?
    Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

There is a house in Tipp fitted out with a Hemp?lime overcoat to be lime plastered in the spring. This is a new system but worth looking at. There are no grants yet for this external insulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

60m x 2.6m x €100/m2 = €15,600.00 ball park for external wall insulation . Grant is €4000.00 .

Internal dry lining would cost about half that - but not come anywhere close in terms of quality of thermal efficiency .

My reading is that you can apply for the grant for a) the boiler and b) heating controls in your case - to install heating where there is effectively none I would consider an upgrade

From SEAI -
    4.3 Minimum requirements for heating upgrades
    High Efficiency Boiler: The installed high efficiency gas or oil fired boiler must have a seasonal efficiency
    ≥90% to avail of a grant under the Home Energy Saving scheme. A list of boilers and their associated
    seasonal efficiency is available on the SEAI HARP (Home-heating Appliance Register of Performance)
    database. The HARP database is available at www.seai.ie/harp.
    Heating Controls Upgrade: The minimum requirement for heating controls upgrade on the Home
    Energy Saving scheme is:
     Two (2) zones (space and water) with 7 day programmer (time and temperature) control and
    boiler interlock PLUS
     Time and Temperature control of electric immersion heater PLUS
     Either 1 more zone control or 3 TRV’s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 ratem

you dont say where you M-i-L lives but there are a number of options open to her for funding the upgrade of the property. maybe you can pm me and I can steer you on where to look for these funds.

Advertisement