Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Link road east of Dunkettle.

Options
  • 01-01-2011 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭

Has anyone been out this way lately. The road between Dunkettle and Carrigtwohill has been in a desperate state since they started road works some time back. Well road works so far as tearing the top layer off the road and leaving it like that for weeks, all the while potholes have developed everywhere. I actually fear for my car driving that road.

I'll be back on that road next week and I'm hoping they've made some progress. So far they've just made **** of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

J2D2 wrote: »
    I'll be back on that road next week and I'm hoping they've made some progress. So far they've just made **** of it.

they won't have.
    the contractors doing the work went bust mid job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭J2D2

I really hope you're joking because that road is in a really bad state... bah! my car will have to suffer on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

I totally agree with you, its actually fairly dangerous as well, because the lines on the road are gone and if its raining people dont know what lane they are in. And also no one is going at the speed limit they have signs for, people are tearing up and the stones are flying at other cars. Thought my windscreen was gone the other day. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Yeah drove it a few times and its in a brutal state. Dangerous too. Needs to be sorted asap.

they have a 60 km/h limit on that chunk at the moment, and it's a real one.
    nobody bothers with it though, it's a well dodgy bit of road at the minute.

I can avoid it though, by taking the back road into Glounthaune. I see more and more cars doing that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

deRanged wrote: »
    they have a 60 km/h limit on that chunk at the moment

Even at 60kph the car doesnt feel like it has as much grip on the roads I'd like it to have and as you say there are people flaking away at 100+kph. Nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I drove that road before Christmas for the first time in ages, it was night, and I'd no clue about the surface. I was playing for a gig in Fota, and then I hit the bad surface. Ho-ly **** I thought it was all over, no grip, and the thudding as I went through the potholes. New underpants moment!

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who thought it was a disgrace. I'm wondering if this a case for the County Council to sort out. It's a fairly busy road in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

they won't have.
    the contractors doing the work went bust mid job!

Is this true or were you just joking??

wispyman wrote: »
    Is this true
    yes.
    or were you just joking??
    no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

J2D2 wrote: »
    Link road east of Dunkettle.
    What is it about every second (modern) road has to be referred to as a "link" road? Lets face it, few roads don't act as links.

It is the East Cork Parkway, BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

SeaFields wrote: »
    Even at 60kph the car doesnt feel like it has as much grip on the roads I'd like it to have and as you say there are people flaking away at 100+kph. Nuts.

You are not wrong, but I live on the Castlelyons road north of Midleton, and it is in a much worse state* after the frost, and the limit is 80km.

*read 'ploughed field with stones'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Its a joke, like there was SWEET F A wrong with the previous surface, sure was only few years ago they put the third lane in, its best to drive slow on it as iv had my windscreen hit by gravel there. Its like something tanks ripped up.... The Rochestown road from N27 Bloomfield to the Fingerpost is almost just as bad at the moment..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

That N25 to Midleton is in a right state, not just the bit passing Glounthane. I think the bit between Carrigtwohill & Midleton is far more dangerous. This section has no roadworks or speed restrictions but the surface is terrible, especially the overtaking lane. There are very worn surfaces, potholes & it is very prone to flooding too, scary stuff.

I think the cold snap probably extended the period that the Glounthane section was left stripped (not doubting the story about the contractor). Then the cold snap itself probably did no good either. Imagine test driving your potential new BMW/Merc/Honda/Opel from the little Island dealers? The poor old demo models in the dealerships must be right bone rattlers at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

they have a 60 km/h limit on that chunk at the moment, and it's a real one.
    nobody bothers with it though, it's a well dodgy bit of road at the minute.

I can avoid it though, by taking the back road into Glounthaune. I see more and more cars doing that too.
    jesus U lived in england for a long time id say lol
    drove down the road tonight what a disaster lucky nobody gets killed it should be 40kmph not 60 that's nuts,massive holes everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

charlemont wrote: »
    ...Its a joke, like there was SWEET F A wrong with the previous surface...

Exactly what I was thinking. Why did they even tear it up? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭LCruiser Kid

That stretch of road is very bad. I'm on it every day up and down to college. Have a few stone chips on the jeep as a result :mad:. Off now for the month of january thank god so will be only travelling it very seldom.
    They ripped up a long stretch and then after a while there is a smooth section for a short distance before you are back on the rough section again. WTF?? Had the jeep and trailer on it on new years eve coming home from near Macroom and by god I feared for the trailer rattling and bouncing behind me.
    The stretch of road from Carraigtowhill to Midleton is not much better. That surface is sh****d. Very dangerous for the speed on that road.
    If the Contractors are gone bust, who's going to take on the job now??? They can't leave the road like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Victor wrote: »
    What is it about every second (modern) road has to be referred to as a "link" road? Lets face it, few roads don't act as links.

It is the East Cork Parkway, BTW.

It's hilarious how many people call the 'South Ring' the 'South Link'.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I'm not from cork but that really annoys me tbh.
    I correct people in work and am told, shur what would you know.
    Your not from around here!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Most people I know call it "The Link" ...which I think is fair enough. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Exactly what I was thinking. Why did they even tear it up? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It's usually the council spending their budget needlessly as they won't get the same allowance next year if it's not spent ~ this should be stopped as it has happened near the end of the year for a long time now, a mad spend, spend, spend on anything just spend the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Not sure about the overall contractors going bust but as far as I know the crowd supplying most of the materials (Whelans) have gone bust. They operate a quarry close to me and thats been dead for the last few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

gramlab wrote: »
    Not sure about the overall contractors going bust but as far as I know the crowd supplying most of the materials (Whelans) have gone bust. They operate a quarry close to me and thats been dead for the last few weeks.

Whelans were also the contractors aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Funny, Someone told me the other day the roads were all in great shape around that area, especially considering the bad weather we had.... :rolleyes:

I'll have to check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

gbee wrote: »
    It's usually the council spending their budget needlessly as they won't get the same allowance next year if it's not spent ~ this should be stopped as it has happened near the end of the year for a long time now, a mad spend, spend, spend on anything just spend the money.

You're probably right, but there's plenty of other roads that are in need of repair that they should fix if they have the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,276 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I drive this road most days and it really is in an awful state. There are huge gouges/potholes after developing in it since the ice and thaw and then all the rain. And with all those loose chippings, I don't know how my windscreen hasn't been shattered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    You're probably right, but there's plenty of other roads that are in need of repair that they should fix if they have the money.

Been one of my cribs for years actually. But when they are trying to spend money to save their allowance they pick the easiest to do in the timeframe in the last six or eight weeks they'd have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

When driving on that stretch of road even at 40 km - my CD's keep jumping. This has gone on for far too long - driving along there at night time is even worse because you can't actually see how bad the road is. There were flood lights up months ago - but if as you say the contractors went bust - surely the council are responsible for ensuring our safety and should a) put up floodlights and b) finish that damn road before somebody is killed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I drove that road today. Feck, my heart was in my mouth the whole time. It was so bad! Not only is the surface appalling, but there's massive potholes all over the place :eek:.

• Advertisement

First time back on it in over a week, its just as bad as it was if not worse. The middle lane seems to be the worst in spots, bah its just bad all over tbh. I'm really hoping that the council get off their asses and sort something out soon. Its a very busy road and it's not like the weather was the root cause of all the damage.

Advertisement