Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Link road east of Dunkettle.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

J2D2 wrote: »
    First time back on it in over a week, its just as bad as it was if not worse. The middle lane seems to be the worst in spots, bah its just bad all over tbh. I'm really hoping that the council get off their asses and sort something out soon. Its a very busy road and it's not like the weather was the root cause of all the damage.

The weather didnt cause anything. The surface that was there was scrope off to get to the under layer of surface.

The company which carried out these works are gone bust even though they have been paid for some of the work. The reason they got the job is they put in an extremley low price to get the job. The council now want other contractors to finish the job at the same price. Obviously they wont do it for that price so to make a long story short the road will be like that for a while.

I will make a few calls tomorrow and update here.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I bet if there was a bad accident on that stretch, the council wouldnt be long getting their arse in gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭J2D2

-Corkie- wrote: »
    The weather didnt cause anything. The surface that was there was scrope off to get to the under layer of surface.

The company which carried out these works are gone bust even though they have been paid for some of the work. The reason they got the job is they put in an extremley low price to get the job. The council now want other contractors to finish the job at the same price. Obviously they wont do it for that price so to make a long story short the road will be like that for a while.

I will make a few calls tomorrow and update here.:)

Aye, I drove through the road works at the time.

and do please update us if you can gain any more info. I'd love to know if they actually care at all. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Just drove along that for a bit tonight going to KFC, it's a fecking disgrace!
    Thankfully I had read about it here so was taking it easy and keeping an extra vigilant eye out.
    Some serious potholes just under the Gantry for the little Island exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

• Advertisement

wispyman wrote: »

What a bare faced liar he is..:rolleyes:

Anyway the road is being resurfaced in the next few days. The road will be closed by night until the end of January.

I hope some of you agree with me but isnt it some waste of 3m euro. The road was fine IMO. 3 million could be put to way better uses me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I hope some of you agree with me but isnt it some waste of 3m euro. The road was fine IMO. 3 million could be put to way better uses me thinks.

Yes, i drove that road a fair bit as i have friends down that direction. Never saw much of a problem with it until they chewed it all up.

I know I've mentioned it today in a thread already here, but the Cork to Macroom road really needs upgrading. A single lane carriageway isnt enough on that road, with its volume of traffic, so stick the 3 million into making some overtaking lanes or the like.

I'm still p!ssed off after being stuck behind someone doing 40mph from macroom to ballincollig bypass today !

At least the road will be resurfaced. I don't fancy driving it, but I can't avoid it.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Yes, i drove that road a fair bit as i have friends down that direction. Never saw much of a problem with it until they chewed it all up.

I know I've mentioned it today in a thread already here, but the Cork to Macroom road really needs upgrading. A single lane carriageway isnt enough on that road, with its volume of traffic, so stick the 3 million into making some overtaking lanes or the like.

I'm still p!ssed off after being stuck behind someone doing 40mph from macroom to ballincollig bypass today !

Blood boiling stuff allright. I gave up using that road actually when going to Millstreet. I go by Nad and its grand. Not a great road but its dead quiet bar a few sand and gravel trucks but its easy to overtake etc. Anyway that Macroom bypass wont be built for decades now..:mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The road to Macroom is ridiculous. I used drive to Tralee regularly, and it felt like it took about 4 hours to get from the Ballincollig Bypass to Macroom. There's no space to overtake, and it's full of crap drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Faith wrote: »
    full of crap drivers.

That's Ireland for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

kcb wrote: »
    That's Ireland for ya.

That is EVERYWHERE for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

charlemont wrote: »
    Its a joke, like there was SWEET F A wrong with the previous surface,

In fairness, they did need to do some work there, but I'm not sure if they needed to resurface it.

Whenever there's heavy rain I've been noticing that road get worse and worse for standing water. It's not so bad on the side heading towards Cork, but there used to be a lot of surface water on that section between the tunnel and Little Island. It might have been better fixed with improving the drainage at the side of the road, given that the other side floods too, but I'm no expert - maybe they did need to resurface.

They seem to have missed out on the "re" bit though....

Leaving that surface for us to drive on for so long probably counts as criminally irresponsible. I feel the car slipping when it's wet and I won't even chance it when I'm on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭LCruiser Kid

Faith wrote: »
    The road to Macroom is ridiculous. I used drive to Tralee regularly, and it felt like it took about 4 hours to get from the Ballincollig Bypass to Macroom. There's no space to overtake, and it's full of crap drivers.

Oh don't talk to me about that road. Same with the main road from castlematyr to midleton. Full of slow drivers. Have my heart broke they have.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Latest, the road has deteriorated significantly in the last two weeks since I had travelled it last just before Christmas Eve.

Travelled it yesterday and had to do violent manoeuvres, have already got a chipped windscreen from a yahoo speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Oh don't talk to me about that road. Same with the main road from castlematyr to midleton. Full of slow drivers. Have my heart broke they have.:mad:

Oh god, halleluia! What is going on there?! Every time I come up from Waterford, it's fine until that stretch of road. It's like the 90degree right hand turn at Castlemartyr freaks them out for the next 50miles and they crawl along on the chance that there's another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭LCruiser Kid

corblimey wrote: »
    Oh god, halleluia! What is going on there?! Every time I come up from Waterford, it's fine until that stretch of road. It's like the 90degree right hand turn at Castlemartyr freaks them out for the next 50miles and they crawl along on the chance that there's another one.

It is painfull travelling that road. Both directions now like. Some dangerous overtaking moves on that stretch as I have witnessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The really bad bits on the n25 with huge ruts have now been filled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

It is painfull travelling that road. Both directions now like. Some dangerous overtaking moves on that stretch as I have witnessed.

I haven't been on it in ages but a friend was telling me of one woman doing 15mph with a tail of traffic miles long behind her before Christmas. I can see why people would lose the rag and try to overtake when it's not really safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

Passed the Dunkettle interchange this afternoon and they appear to be working on it now.

• Advertisement

They've sorted some of the worst patches. hopefully they'll be able to sort out the whole lot before too long. it's not quite so dangerous anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Drove it this morning and it is way better than last week. On my way home this evening there were trucks there so they might be hopefully finishing it!

Advertisement