Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Birmingham -v- Arsenal

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

gandalf wrote: »
    Feck just realised Johnson is on my FF league team (ouch!)!!!!

worth - points with an owngoal, yellow card and 3 goals against him!

Was a beautiful final pass from Nasri, I thought the move had fizzeled out when they started to go back but was nice to be proven wrong :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

A miserable night against a tough tackling team with a good home record. Plenty of character from Arsenal tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Hopefully they will get relegated ,they are an awful side ,no attempt to play any sort of football at all.
    Arsenal are doing what Utd couldnt on Tuesday night,create oodles of chances .

If them and Stoke went the PL would be a better place, anti-football sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Tasty.

Considering St Andrews is a graveyard for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Could have been a different story tonight if the ref gave the stonewall penalty earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Could have been a different story tonight if the ref gave the stonewall penalty earlier

And if he had spotted that stamp by Bowyer. I wouldn't fancy Birmingham down to ten men against us today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Hopefully they will get relegated ,they are an awful side ,no attempt to play any sort of football at all.
    Arsenal are doing what Utd couldnt on Tuesday night,create oodles of chances .

was laughed at in august for saying birmingham would go down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Wilshere is like a dog you want to take home and keep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Some great play here by Arsenal...!

Sagna has an unrivaled skill of being always able to hit a cross off the defender and out for a throw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Helix wrote: »
    was laughed at in august for saying birmingham would go down

They probably won't, you'll get plenty of sides, like United on Tuesday, that won't be able to break them down. Sure, there's some merit in staying in the league, but I'd respect Wigan more if they went down while trying to play football than Birmingham if they stayed up with this cr@p.

Have only just noticed Alex Song's hair is back to normal.

FFS Van Persie! Another sitter missed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

RVP misses another sitter... :rolleyes:

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Could have been a different world had Jesus not been betrayed.

What's your point ?

There was outcry today when west brom didn't get the penalty but nothing tonight about the same for birmingham. Arsenal double standards as usual:rolleyes:

There was outcry today when west brom didn't get the penalty but nothing tonight about the same for birmingham. Arsenal double standards as usual:rolleyes:

Err I did say it was a clear handball and I am an Arsenal supporter. What do you want us all to throw ourselves in front of buses etc :rolleyes:

Excellent win, delighted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Clean sheet and a vital 3 points against a tough opposition that have done us over before.

Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Whatever about the Arsenal supporters, you're guilty of double standards. You claim that the game would have been different if the referee had rightly awarded Birmingham a penalty, but fail to mention the "stonewall" penalty when a Birmingham defender held Djourou and prevented him from reaching the cross, or Roger Johnson's tackle which should have been a red card, or Bowyer's stamp and late challenge on Sagna which should have seen Bowyer sent off.

Are you Stevie Wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Great result. You see the difference with the top players in the team, not fannying about on the ball when in the lead, quick passing forward and another goal to put the game to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Wenger was prob right to make the 8 changes for wigan. I think Brum put out the same 11 2nite as against utd and looked tired in comparison to arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    Whatever about the Arsenal supporters, you're guilty of double standards. You claim that the game would have been different if the referee had rightly awarded Birmingham a penalty, but fail to mention the "stonewall" penalty when a Birmingham defender held Djourou and prevented him from reaching the cross, or Roger Johnson's tackle which should have been a red card, or Bowyer's stamp and late challenge on Sagna which should have seen Bowyer sent off.

Are you Stevie Wonder?

I am interested in seeing ordinary mans reply to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Brum really do play like a pack of thugs. Johnson's tackle of Cesc, Jerome making sure he clattered Fabianksi when he knew he wouldn't win the ball, the Bowyer stamp, Ridgewell's persistent fouling off the ball. Add that to the sh*te they got away with at the Emirates (Zigic's elbow anyone?). It's a shame really, because they have some players I really rate, Larsson, Hleb, Beausejour, Foster, but I think they are going to go down, they just cannot play football.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Please go down Birmingham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Can defiantly see Birmingham going down unless they start the likes of Hleb and possibly Zigic. Never looked like scoring against a poor Arsenal defence who conceded 2 against Wigan.

All round good performance by us tonight, bring on City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

but I think they are going to go down, they just cannot play football.

Its not Mc Leish's intention to play football.He is an ultra negative manager.
    They overachieved last season and rode their luck.
    Not so long ago there was talk of McLeish being the new Liverpool manager ,imagine him in charge there .:eek:

NeoKubrick wrote: »

Are you Stevie Wonder?

One of the posters around here put up tweets that fabregas and koj had about refs never giving decisions against united. Tonight there was a clear decision not given against arsenal. Don't see how arsenal players/supporters can cry about united getting away with decisions and at the same time brush off the fact they get as many.

All the things you highlight i agree with and if you were on the united/brum thread last week you would have seen tonight was not the first time bowyer is at that crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Cheek of them claiming handball.
    gandalf wrote: »
    It was a clear handball. Lucky escape for us there.

Looks like RvP has left his shooting boots in the dressing room!
    Souless wrote: »
    shouldn't of been a free kick in the first place but it does hit him on the arm
    It's should have been A peno though
    Arsenal lucky not to concede a penalty, but so were Birmingham, Johnson should have been sent off imo. Things are getting a little tense, going to be an "incident" full second half I feel.
    One of the posters around here put up tweets that fabregas and koj had about refs never giving decisions against united. Tonight there was a clear decision not given against arsenal. Don't see how arsenal players/supporters can cry about united getting away with decisions and at the same time brush off the fact they get as many.

All the things you highlight i agree with and if you were on the united/brum thread last week you would have seen tonight was not the first time bowyer is at that crap.

You're talking absolute sh*te. One person out of 5 claiming it shouldn't have been. :rolleyes:

Tonight Birmingham should have had 3 players sent off. Johnson for the tackle on Cesc, Bowyer for the stamp and Ridgewell should have seen a second yellow for persistant fouling.

At the Emirates both Zigic (elbow to Wilshere in the face), and Ridgewell (took out Chamakh off the ball) should have seen straight reds. And there was an argument Bowyer should have seen a second yellow then too.

So forgive us if us biased Arsenal fans feel a little hard done by the refs in this fixture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Don't see how arsenal players/supporters can cry about united getting away with decisions and at the same time brush off the fact they get as many.

To be honest, I think only United supporters would say that Arsenal get as many favourable decisions.

Birmingham could of ended the game with like 9 men. Arsenal fully deserved to win. Our defence for the majority of the game was very good. Djourou is boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Looks a different defence with Djourou there. His presence must inspire confidence in the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Really? Arse still looked poor at defending set pieces, which I would hold the centre backs accountable for more than anyone else.

Defending better as a team and more tracking back from the likes of Walcott along with pressuring the opponents high up the pitch has had more of an effect than the introduction of Djourou in my opinion.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

As impressive as Djourou has been I'd partially agree. Our goal led a charmed life at times today, at set pieces we're abysmal. I read yesterday somewhere that this season 50% of the goals we've conceded have been from set plays? Still not good enough.

Great win though and if we can beat City on Wednesday we'll be positioned very well for the rest of the season. Cesc and Robin back and feeling their way into form, ditto Djourou, Song playing well, Nasri and Theo stepping it up... plenty of causes for positivity.

Communication is vital on set plays. If Fabianski and the back 4 communicate better, it will get better. I didn't think it was too bad today. Bar that chance from Johnson, they didn't really test our goal. The game was over near the end when they had a late chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Anyone tell me how Lee Bowyer gets away with all the **** he gets away with? its not like he has the rep of an angel so you would think the refs would be keeping an eye on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

He's not THAT TYPE of player!!!!
    But seriously, I don't know. For someone who waves his arms in the air so much when others are at fault, you'd think he'd get his own house in order.

Advertisement