Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuba, Bar 903 etc. closed?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 melboftw

They still own the King's Head, but it's not shutting down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

melboftw wrote: »
    They still own the King's Head, but it's not shutting down.

They don't it's a separate ownership

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

That's fairly ****e. Know a few of the staff and it's really harsh on them. Only club in the city who ever had good acts. 903 had some amazing breakbeat/hiphop/electro nights and all free. Acts like Beat torrent, Kormac, Skratch bastid, DJ flip, The Nextmen etc.

Massive loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 secretwishes

Jesus, it's a serious loss to the city. They're all such prominent businesses. Shocker.

I've just realised that Harvest was the only fecking offlicence that stocked decent beers.

I am really annoyed now.

The chances of O'Briens stocking Anchor Poter or Sierra Nevada Porter are nil.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Seaneh wrote: »
    I've just realised that Harvest was the only fecking offlicence that stocked decent beers.

I am really annoyed now.

The chances of O'Briens stocking Anchor Poter or Sierra Nevada Porter are nil.

We'll have to buy online now :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 FunkeeFresh

This is pretty horrific news :( Pretty much the only 3 spots I'd head to on a night out! Only left with the Roisin now....

Mactard wrote: »
    We'll have to buy online now :cool:

effort...

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Did they manage to save the supermarkets then? I was told about five months ago that the lot would be gone by January.

Not surprising when the lost €1m in a big hole in Oughterard and couldnt get the big Centra in town together.

Big loss for Galway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Seaneh wrote: »
    effort...

I look forward to getting my tasty beer delivered to me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭LowOdour

soundbyte wrote: »
    Not surprising when the lost 1m in a big hole in Oughterard and couldnt get the big Centra in town together.
    What 1m in oughterard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Mynners

Are all of these places owned by the same group or something?

LowOdour wrote: »
    What 1m in oughterard?

Towards the new Super Valu that will never be finished out. On my phone, so google 'shane connolly oughterard receivership galwaynews.ie'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Serious loss to the city. I won't miss Bar 903 or Cuba mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Cellar, 903, Cuba, Living Room/Kelly's and Kings Head were owned by one man until it was divided up amongst his children years ago (not sure how long). One of the Grealish's owns Cuba, 903 and the Cellar, another owns Kings Head and Malt House, and the recently widowed daughter owns Kelly's.

They are separate companies so the others shouldn't be affected, even though they are all supposed to under some financial difficulty to some extent or other as are many other bars and clubs in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Shane Connolly does not own Cuba

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

beagle001 wrote: »
    Kings head staying open please do not create rumours.
    They were owned by the same people not so long ago so it was entirely fair to ask. Same with Kellys when it was called the Living Room. I was also unaware that the old group had been divided up.
    Yes bar 903 is to go into liquidation all creditors are to be called to a meeting,cellar bar as well.

This is a real shame, the group (whether divided or otherwise) always ran quality establishments with quality staff.

I hope the owners and staff get back in the pub game again.

It would be a shame to see them replaced by generic dingy swill pits with surly barely english speaking staff and a walking steroid emporium with an earpiece lurking at the front door. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

soundbyte wrote: »
    Did they manage to save the supermarkets then? I was told about five months ago that the lot would be gone by January.

Not surprising when the lost €1m in a big hole in Oughterard and couldnt get the big Centra in town together.

Big loss for Galway.

What are talking about here? We are talking about cuba night here.

So which grealishs owns the Celler ,903 and cuba?
    They are separate companies so the others shouldn't be affected, even though they are all supposed to under some financial difficulty to some extent or other as are many other bars and clubs in Galway.

What other places are in trouble? do you have a list?

This Shane Connolly character owed the particular Grealishes who owned Cuba and the Cellar money is what. He also owned a hole in the ground in Oughterard.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/15108-city-company-goes-wall-debts-almost-%E2%82%AC20m
    Among the creditors are John and Fiona Grealish (of Cuba Nightclub and the Harvest off licence chain), who are owed just over €950,000 – some €238,000 of this is ‘secured’ debt.

This seems to be a knockon effect.

Paul Grealish is not involved, he owns the Kings Head.

beagle001 wrote: »
    Shane Connolly does not own Cuba

Never said he did. Read spongebob's post where he links the article I referred to. Im on a phone and cant link.

They also lost money on Baily Point in Salthill, I understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

god I used to live in cuba when I first moved to galway, the old bar was so cool and great live venue upstairs.

haven't been there much in the past couple of years but the last few times I did go to the club, I'd pay my tenner at the door only to realise when I got inside that up-upstairs would be closed:mad:

scary to see such well-established places closing down,
    feel so sorry for the staff too:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

gutted to hear this news!

quality venue ran well by really sound people and giving galway what it needed,an alternative to the usual cocksucking halo,cps & karma crowd/music.

they brought quality djs to galway over the last few years,took balls to do it too and ran a flake of free gigs in 903.

and for fionnmactoocoolforschool,you must have been in an absolute hoop any night you went to cuba if you were refused regulary.

couldnt have met nicer security/bouncers.ive always found meeting a bouncer eye to eye and with courtesy and manners and you'd receive the same from them,esp in cuba.

as for tunes in galway now,the options are severly limited/non existent.:mad:

Cuba was also the only club that allowed you to wear a hoodie and runners in, without batting an eyelid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

barryd09 wrote: »
    and for fionnmactoocoolforschool,you must have been in an absolute hoop any night you went to cuba if you were refused regulary.
    Yeah, like the night I was so sober I wanted to go home early but was persuaded to stay out, and then turned away from Cuba for being too drunk :rolleyes: Or the time someone stole my hoody in there and I tried to ask a member of staff if it had been handed in at all but got shoved out the door by the bouncer because the club was closing. Nice service that is.

I've never been refused from anywhere else in 3-4 years of going out in Galway, even when I've been absolutely langers because I'm able to keep myself together pretty well.
    Cuba was also the only club that allowed you to wear a hoodie and runners in, without batting an eyelid.
    Probably because it was so dark and dingy nobody saw em.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

As i said already,cuba had NO problem with anything anyone wore aslong as you werent full of attitude/loaded with drink going in, just as a club should be.

If dresscodes are an issue for people then grab your obligitory tommy hilfiger jumper and hit halo/cps/karma,lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

i heard before that some grealish that owned cuba had an interest in running a bar or some thing down in baily point. They must of lost out there.

The probably could not get any money from the bank then to keep cuba running.

Did shane connolly buy the clarton hotel for 1 euro like 2 years ago or more when it went under?

Anyone know when the creditors meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Such a shame, i literately grew up in the Cellar because my dad was the manager for years :( Hopefully someone will take them over soon, would hate to see them boarded up for months and months.

I can see someone opening up the Cellar soon, because it seemed to always be doing relatively good business. Hope so anyways, there was nothing better than their all-day breakfasts after a hard day of exams!

What is the story on Supervalu in Moycullen, I understand that the same holding company owned Cuba Cellar Harvest and the Supervalu in Moycullen...Jona Holdings I think it is called.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Yep, Jona in trouble I hear.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement