Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuba, Bar 903 etc. closed?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

Shane connolly is bringing down Jona Holding. He is bringing alot of businesses down with him.

So jona holding is going into liquidation. Does anyoneknow when the creditors meeting is? Can only creditors go to this meeting?

Never witnessed a company going into liquidation from the inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 afireinside

Obviously 6.80 wasn't enough for a bottle of Koppaberg in the cellar...

Cuba was great recently since they got rid of the bell end Head doorman, he <invoked strong opinions>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

You're mad for the details evoke! :confused: Like a vulture hovering over a wounded animal..!
    Does anyoneknow when the creditors meeting is? Can only creditors go to this meeting?
    So which grealishs owns the Celler ,903 and cuba?
    What other places are in trouble? do you have a list?
    Anyone know when the creditors meeting?
    So the list of closing is:
    Harvest
    Cuba Club
    Bar 903
    cellar
    Who owns them then?
    Why did it close down? is it in examinership or liquidation?
    does anyone know who owns these places and the exact places shutting down?

EDIT:

With the above in mind, interesting post over on this thread.... :p Got plans?!
    evoke wrote: »
    OP Do you have any experience running a night club or working in a night club? Just wondering your experience and how fast you think you could establish a club up and running.

I pm you aswell incase you did not get this message.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭halfback5

christ thats a big shock have they closed down immediately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

halfback5 wrote: »
    christ thats a big shock have they closed down immediately?
    They'll have stayed open through Christmas for the holiday revenues, to run down stocks and because all the bar exemptions will already have been paid for since the 1st of December. January's the second quietest month of the year in town and they'd have had to pay for the month's late bar/club exemptions up front so it makes sense to close now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,488 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Ficheall wrote: »
    Sorry state of affairs for the staff, but on the bright side - it'll make room for four more badly needed Charcoal Grills.

If Cuba stays closed for a while it will scupper Charcoals plans for world domination.
    I presume the main reason they located there is they had a guaranteed revenue source from Cubas clientelle.
    Was never a regular of Cuba cos they always made me take off my cap but I feel sorry for the staff of the group :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nickgln

absolutely heartbroken, used to work in the cellar great memories there, feel so bad for all the staff, what a way for friends to start 2011:(
    this recession is takin the piss now!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

Delighted

barryd09 wrote: »
    As i said already,cuba had NO problem with anything anyone wore aslong as you werent full of attitude/loaded with drink going in, just as a club should be.

If dresscodes are an issue for people then grab your obligitory tommy hilfiger jumper and hit halo/cps/karma,lock.

Whats with the insults for people who like to go to cps/halo its uncalled for in fairness.

I dont like to see places shutting down and people losing jobs but cuba/903 are not places I would go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Good riddance to bad rubbish, hated Cuba.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

Clemon wrote: »
    Delighted
    Good riddance to bad rubbish, hated Cuba.

Can't believe the immaturity of some of the above posts. Cuba wouldn't have been my cup of tea for the last number of years & I'd only be in the cellar the odd time but whether you disliked the place or the owners, it's a shame to see any business go to the wall.

Staff have lost their jobs, I'd imagine some suppliers haven't been paid & there'll be a knock on effect for the likes of chippers/taxi companies nearby.

Horrible to see people happy with someone else's misfortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Sound Bite wrote: »
    Can't believe the immaturity of some of the above posts.
    In fairness, it's full of crusties?

Regardless of the begrudgers, I'll miss the place anyway. Like most nightspots it wasn't everyones' cup of tea but I've had great nights there over the years. I know quite a few people who relied on the place for some or all of their income and actually liked working there. It's a shame for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Ahhh fuuuuuck, how are we meant to get cans at the Sparch now? We'll have to prepare for it, or walk slightly further, this is a loada ****e!

You must be thinking of a different cuba. It certainly hasn't been full of crusties any time I've been there recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Clemon wrote: »
    Delighted
    Why? Why are you happy to see people lose their job? So you didn't like the place, great, don't go. You hate the people who go? Guess what? They're coming to a nightclub near you! I look forward to annoying you with whatever it is that you didn't like about Cuba.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

You're thinking of the Roisin mate..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Whats with the insults for people who like to go to cps/halo its uncalled for in fairness.

its not an insult,merely an observation or more so,a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Well I'm definitely going to miss all of those establishments, particularly Cuba and the Cellar. Cuba would have been my first choice of club in town (liked the relaxed vibe in there) but I know not everyone liked it and it wasn't at its best when upstairs wasn't open. It'll be pretty sad seeing all those empty buildings, hope they find people to take them on soon.

• Advertisement

dave clarke @ cuba,june 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP31P5sQ_oI

groove armada @ cuba Nov 2005
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW5vupDr69U

japanese popstars @ cuba october 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGtXnzn2Mrk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Don't make a sad night even worse Barry09

Don't make a sad night even worse Barry09

merely remembering the good GREAT nights!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

barryd09 wrote: »
    merely remembering the good GREAT nights!!

I know but I'm still sad over this :( Now we have to go Karma :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ten10twenty

Bit of a shame, haven't been in it in years but spent a lot nights in there when i was in college.

Whether people like it or not, at least it was another place to go/see something different so now there's a few less options in Galway and the surviving pubs will have more potential customers and probably less incentive to improve :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Ah man, sickened :(

My two favorite pubs and my favorite club in Galway. My best nights out in the city started in The Cellar and ended in Cuba, with maybe a few drinks in Bar 903 first. Did the old, "Go in, get a stamp, turn around, walk out" trick until Cuba filled out with people. Free entry, happy days.

I liked the relaxed vibe of Cuba. No scumbags, no bouncers eyeballing your shoes as you walked by them and brilliant music. A decent mix of alternative dance and the usual crap so it suited most tastes. Then upstairs (if it was open, heh...) was always mad craic.

Harvest is a sad loss too. Only Off License that stocked decent beers. Where will I get my Belfast Blonde now? :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Surely this must be down to poor management or something? Cuba never seemed any less busy than other clubs, and they never really had offers on drinks so must have made a bit more than the likes of Club K?

That's two clubs in Galway gone in the space of a few months, which is weird because I haven't really noticed any less people going out than there was 3 years ago or whatever. Maybe it's not as profitable as it seems.

They should have just not paid taxes like CPs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Ah man, sickened :(

My two favorite pubs and my favorite club in Galway. My best nights out in the city started in The Cellar and ended in Cuba, with maybe a few drinks in Bar 903 first. Did the old, "Go in, get a stamp, turn around, walk out" trick until Cuba filled out with people. Free entry, happy days.

I liked the relaxed vibe of Cuba. No scumbags, no bouncers eyeballing your shoes as you walked by them and brilliant music. A decent mix of alternative dance and the usual crap so it suited most tastes. Then upstairs (if it was open, heh...) was always mad craic.

Harvest is a sad loss too. Only Off License that stocked decent beers. Where will I get my Belfast Blonde now? :cool:

Belfast :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement