Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuba, Bar 903 etc. closed?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Surely these businesses can't all have been running at such a loss that they would have to go into liquidation? Even if one business was doing ****e, would it not have been obvious and individually stoppable?

It is a balls for the staff, indeed - but it's difficult to feel any sympathy for the owners.

As to the great loss to the city - aside from, perhaps, the Cellar's grub, I'm sure the people of Galway will survive. Other places sell alcohol, and some enterprising fool can surely rent a warehouse near the city and play ear-splitting ****e and charge admission, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Surely this must be down to poor management or something? Cuba never seemed any less busy than other clubs, and they never really had offers on drinks so must have made a bit more than the likes of Club K?
    Ficheall wrote: »
    Surely these businesses can't all have been running at such a loss that they would have to go into liquidation? Even if one business was doing ****e, would it not have been obvious and individually stoppable?
    Read back through the thread. I suspect that it might transpire that debts/losses related to the recently liquidated 'Marcon Developments' are encumbered on 'JONA Investment Holdings' (the holding company that owns the Cuba group) and have dragged it under.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

isn't Joker supposed to be playing in the Cellar next weekend? what's the deal with that now?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In fairness, it's full of crusties?

Any venue that keeps them out of the places I go to is A Good Thing, IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

You're thinking of the Roisin mate..

Yeah, bloody crusties with their skinny jeans, high top runners and trendy haircuts. :pac:

It's terribly sad to see these places close, especially so suddenly. I was in The Cellar on NYE and their didn't seem to be any word of it. Was really looking forward to that Joker gig as well. :( Really sad start to the new year for all the staff. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 francie92

If cuba closes, it makes you wonder how a place like Coyotoes is still staying afloat... Free in, small crowds and cheapish enough drinks.. Makes you wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Wolf Club wrote: »
    Yeah, bloody crusties with their skinny jeans, high top runners and trendy haircuts. :pac:

Eh is that what a Crustie is??

Anyway sorry I couldn't resist but it is such a sad loss. All the poor staff losing their jobs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Eh is that what a Crustie is??

Anyway sorry I couldn't resist but it is such a sad loss. All the poor staff losing their jobs :(
    Sarcasm detector required.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

foto joe wrote: »
    You're mad for the details evoke! :confused: Like a vulture hovering over a wounded animal..!

EDIT:

With the above in mind, interesting post over on this thread.... :p Got plans?!

Looks like you have been following me foto joe.

I just have a general interest. I like to know how theese thinks work. I do not think it will be open as a club or bar again. I am sure the cellar will open as a bar. I am sure if they were making money they could of restructure their debt with a bank. If they were not making enough money then the bank would not take the risk.

No one seems to know the business side of it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Sarcasm detector required.

I know sorry I couldn't resist.. Feel extra bad now !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

evoke wrote: »
    No one seems to know the business side of it here.

Actually, anyone with half a brain can read this thread and see exactly what happened to the business. Other than that, idle speculation and conclusion-reaching by people who havent the first idea what they're talking about, doesnt help anyone.

If you're unable to grasp a thread, leave it. Don't come back with incorrect quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

francie92 wrote: »
    If cuba closes, it makes u wonder how a place like Coyotoes is still staying afloat... Free in, small crowds and cheapish enough drinks.. Makes you wonder

it does indeed!! I was told this time last year that a few places were to go and that person was right!! with gpo and Cuba gone thats 2 down, 2 to go...

I can't see Coyotes remaining open for much longer.

some people in this town made me laugh 2/3 years ago, stabbing ya in the back every chance they got just to try boost their careers and others just out of pure badness!!

funny how they thought they had jobs for life!! karma is a bitch bahahahahahahaha

this news has made my Xmas and to think I only found out this mornin how the staff were told ahahahahahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Elevator wrote: »
    some people in this town made me laugh 2/3 years ago, stabbing ya in the back every chance they got just to try boost their careers and others just out of pure badness!!

funny how they thought they had jobs for life!! karma is a bitch bahahahahahahaha

this news has made my Xmas and to think I only found out this mornin how the staff were told ahahahahahahahaha
    Someone doesn't hold grudges!!

Someone doesn't hold grudges!!

ya know what mate, ya don't know what went down and how outrageous it was either so don't even start!!

some of them in there really did deserve it and so what if I sat back like in other situations and got on with my life only to be rewarded down the line with the news that their time has now come to an end!

welcome to the dole queue lads and ladies, some of us are used to it by now, good luck with your sudden adjustments ahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

So. You got collectively stabbed in the back by the 50-odd people who lost their jobs yesterday? Or are you just a vindictive pr!ck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I can't see Coyotes remaining open for much longer.

No it won't. Every place that closes down has to be better than the last one i.e GPO, Bar903, Cuba............................

My guess is Karma is next :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

So. You got collectively stabbed in the back by the 50-odd people who lost their jobs yesterday? Or are you just a vindictive pr!ck?

No, his previous posts indicate that he is a DJ. So in this case most probably he is a disgruntled DJ with an axe to grind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

disappointing. i always liked 903

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

im just glad the staff I knew are gone, backstabbing ****, see ye down the dole ahahahahahaha

Jaysis you think you're hilarious don't you?!You're the only one laughin at your posts though buddy.

There's nothin funny about it, i knew alot of people in The Cellar and they were absolute gems. The Cellar staff were incredibly supportive of original bands in Galway and were really accommodating, even letting bands practice downstairs during the day for free.

Show a little compassion! It sounds like you know how ****ty it is to lose a job so you can imagine what they are going through.Considering the attitude you've displayed in your posts, I'm not surprised people would've ****ed you over.

drum! wrote: »
    Jaysis you think you're hilarious don't you?!You're the only one laughin at your posts though buddy.

There's nothin funny about it, i knew alot of people in The Cellar and they were absolute gems. The Cellar staff were incredibly supportive of original bands in Galway and were really accommodating, even letting bands practice downstairs during the day for free.

Show a little compassion! It sounds like you know how ****ty it is to lose a job so you can imagine what they are going through.Considering the attitude you've displayed in your posts, I'm not surprised people would've ****ed you over.

ya ya, you're right about the cellar as far as the support to live acts etc but that's as far as my sympathies would go.

it's Cubas management and certain members of their staff that I have a grudge against and they know why too!

Elevator, I've known you for all of about 3 posts. If I was a club manager and you came to me looking for work, I wouldnt hire you with that attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bill murray

Elavator, I worked in cuba for years and worked in the Cellar until the other day obviously. Whats your problem? Im sure i would know you maybe im one of the people you had a problem with but 160 odd people lost jobs, numerous djs,numerous bands are out of gigs now I fail to see how this could have made your christmas.Firstly christmas is over and secondly its just bad form. If you react this way to something happening im sure there was a reason you didn't work there anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

really harsh and uncalled for.
    No, his previous posts indicate that he is a DJ. So in this case most probably he is a disgruntled DJ with an axe to grind.

spot ****ing on im thinking.

160 odd people lost jobs

What???
    Holy sh!t. That many?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Brother Psychosis

it's Cubas management and certain members of their staff that I have a grudge against and they know why too!

well if you are a DJ and worked there, you clearly didnt have a problem with them signing your paychecks, so whats your problem? even if they are dickheads - which everyone knows the majority of them weren't - revelling in the misery of so many ppl losing their jobs, is pretty scummy

and when did GPO close?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

GPO closed on the 26th of november this year but it is going to be open again in February or March i was told. Not sure who is taking it over the management

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bill murray

What???
    Holy sh!t. That many?

Between bar staff in cuba and 903 and the cellar. Then kitchen staff in the cellar and promo staff in cuba. Take into account all the harvest people aswell and yeah its in an around 160 people.

There is also the people that used to dj there and of course all the bands that relied on gigs in both places every week.

Its been a grim two days for us all but we will all be fine we are a very close group as anyone that has worked there will tell you but are all young enough (well most of us:) to know that we can get work either here or abroad.

I understand lots of people didn't like the place be it for the people or the type of music in the place but losing both of them is big loss to galway.It offered something different and i don't see anyone in town putting on gigs like they used to in 903,cuba or the Cellar underground.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement