Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuba, Bar 903 etc. closed?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Gooseygoosey

No, his previous posts indicate that he is a DJ. So in this case most probably he is a disgruntled DJ with an axe to grind.

Yes and possibly not a very good one as this person did not have a gig on New Years Eve as he/she found time to post on boards just after midnight.....:rolleyes:

Yesterday, 00:12 #17 Elevator
    blue_star_3.gif

Adverts | Friends

same to yourself op

all the best to all the boardsies who I annoyed throughout the year and of course those who I had fun debating with!

it was fun
    user_offline.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

pwned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

What???
    Holy sh!t. That many?
    It adds up pretty quickly. Think about the number of bar staff, security staff an djs it takes to keep 903/Cuba alone fully staffed seven days a week. Even simple stuff like cloakroom and promo staff. The Cellar will have had extra kitchen and food service staff too. Each of the Harvests needs multiple shifts to keep it running and there's more than the ones that most Galway City people normally use. It mightn't have been a full-time job for everyone but a lot of people will have lost a chunk of their income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Gutted, have some fond memories of Cuba* and Bar 903 and having breakfast the following day in The Cellar.

Sorry to hear so many jobs being lost aswell :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Whats going to happen to Byrno!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Whats going to happen to Byrno!
    RAG week comes but once a year, his schedule just cleared right up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭outwest

shocking, i thuaght cuba was doing well,

hopefully someone will re open the place. harvest will be a big loss for the people of galway.

the celler had great food, great drink, and a great atmosphere, same its gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

I'm not overly surprised about Cuba, ten years is average enough lifespan for a nightclub. Shame about The Cellar and Bar 903 though, had plenty of good times in both of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Real shame, the last thing we need is another CP's/Karma clone. Clubs in Galway all play the same generic ****e now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Aw did poor Elevator get turned away one night for being to drunk?:rolleyes:
    Stop acting the spa. At the end of the day these people's dole is coming from taxpayer's pockets so I don't know why you're so chirpy.

• Advertisement

I can't see Coyotes remaining open for much longer.

That would be a disaster the last thing I want to see is "coyotes types" trying to get into the good places like Halo and cps, or actually getting in and causing trouble/lowering the tone of the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

outwest wrote: »
    shocking, i thuaght cuba was doing well,

hopefully someone will re open the place. harvest will be a big loss for the people of galway.

the celler had great food, great drink, and a great atmosphere, same its gone.

I don't think any of the businesses/premises involved were doing badly, it seems to be a case of greedy owners owing too much on different business ventures which the successful businesses couldn't prop up any longer. Its a pity and now there's feck all off licenses left. I imagine there'll be a number of new offies in the next six months providing a similar service to harvests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

It's a bit like what happened to Tom Hogan motors I guess. Strange to see all of the places closed today tho, in particular I will miss Harvest, they stocked some very good wine and beers hard to get elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

I had heard The Cellar was losing a lot of money.It was in the hole for 70 grand this year i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭PauricTheLodger

drum! wrote: »
    I had heard The Cellar was losing a lot of money.It was in the hole for 70 grand this year i believe.

The most recent Annual Return (until September) and Account details (until December 09) for Jona are on the CRO website, surely a better way to find out than speculating?

Shame in any case about the lot of them, not that I had been to any of them much in the last year or so, but annoying for all those who were working there.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

I wasn't speculating, i was told that by the person who told me earlier this week that The Cellar was going to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

That would be a disaster the last thing I want to see is "coyotes types" trying to get into the good places like Halo and cps, or actually getting in and causing trouble/lowering the tone of the place.

Lowering the tone??? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah Are you serious?......and how are the sales in Brown Thomas?

How much is a mortgage on a 3 bedroom Ivory Tower these days? Do they come with room for a High Horse too?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭iii Stevo iii

drum! wrote: »

I would have thought The Cellar was doing better than both Bar903 and Cuba, the place always had a crowd day and night, its great food helped.
    If it was down 70k you have to worry about alot of other places around Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

It really is a sad day. Anyone who has ever gone to college in galway has frequented the joints. I was only just getting back into the cellar. I was there in my college days and now I go with my child wife for food. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭moonlight06

Surely someone might take over these places? I mean they are well known establishments.

• Advertisement

paulhannon wrote: »
    Lowering the tone??? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah Are you serious?......and how are the sales in Brown Thomas?

Yeah I'm serious, Halo is the only club I really go to in galway anymore, I like the place quite lot actually.

As for BT's, only had a quick look but going in tomorrow for a proper look and have a nice voucher to spend there too :D. Although I dont see how the places I shop are relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I think it's fair comment that when one place closes that you notice a drip into the rest of places. I certainly noticed it when GPO closed..

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

it seems to be a case of greedy owners

Anyone who knows the owners of Cuba/Harvest/Cellar knows that they are not greedy. Please, do your homework. They had a reputation for treating staff well and for giving generously to local charities.

Anyone who knows anything about the Irish economy knows bars etc are suffering. Anyone who knows anything about off-licences knows that the supermarkets are killing them with cheap beer and cheap wine. Tesco were selling wine recently at €4 a bottle. Don't be surprised when small/regional chains go under.

Believe it or not, this is a tough time for owners and staff. No one wants to wind up in this situation.

Yeah I'm serious, Halo is the only club I really go to in galway anymore, I like the place quite lot actually.

As for BT's, only had a quick look but going in tomorrow for a proper look and have a nice voucher to spend there too :D. Although I dont see how the places I shop are relevant.

My work here is done. *takes a bow*

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ZRelation

paulhannon wrote: »
    My work here is done. *takes a bow*
    As it is in Cuba*....too soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

The people who were asking where could they get decent beers now the Harvests are gone, McCambridges had an alright selection last time I was in there.

ZRelation wrote: »
    As it is in Cuba*....too soon?

No not for me. I handed in my notice to cuba about three weeks ago as I'm moving to New Zealand on Thursday. Wanna come to the leaving do? http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=142526829136430

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Was in all 3 of them new years eve, had a lovely burger in the cellar, then was in 903 for midnight and into Cuba. Gang of us down from Kildare, the music in 903 and cuba was class! danced like an eejit all night, sad day for Galway, would definately have gone to them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ZRelation

Good foresight! Good luck with the move, you weren't my least favourite galway DJ. Put me down as a 'Maybe' for the send-off..

• Advertisement

You went to Cuba* to have a good time, especially upstairs. People go to CPs and Halo to be seen, that's about it. We are running out of places where you don't have to be dressed up to get in. Cuba was amongst the last of these.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement