Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuba, Bar 903 etc. closed?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭JayMcD

Was listening to TodayFM and they were talking about the great loss for Galway City, then mentioned this story, National news no doubt.
    I used to live in Cuba back in "the day", In fairness, I maybe remembering through rose tinted glasses but, it passed its peak a loooonnngggg time ago, remember when HipHop and RnB on Wed night? there was a que going back to Tk Maxx with the hottest of hot, the place was laid back, but no scumbags, hotties but no Cp's heads.
    Only recently (after being away) started going to see the unreal band there on Tues in Bar903, it was surrel that there was a live band there that was brilliant, and it was free! I used to brag to ppl when I was away about Galway and the likes of Cuba, The Cellar etc.
    On a last note, ya, the staff there were cool, laid back, nice, had a sense of humour, never up there own holes, it was a pleasure,
    I recon this is temp, till the banks sort out the books etc. Just a casualty of other developments that went under, so pulling them down with it, there great places, the banks know that, so hopefully, they'll realise that.

Where are the Black Magic Big Band going to perform now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭bigtuna

Just on the RTE news. They said sales were down around 50%. Very sad. I'll miss the lovely brie salad in the cellar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Where are the Black Magic Big Band going to perform now?

They moved to Buskers quite a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,488 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Was just mentioned on 9 o clock news. Said 85 jobs.

• Advertisement

They moved to Buskers quite a while ago.

Really? Jeez, I mustn't've been in town in a long time then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Really? Jeez, I mustn't've been in town in a long time then!

Yup. They weren't getting much of a crowd in Cuba anymore so they decided to relocate. Buskers has worked out quite well for them I believe. According to a sister of one of the musicians anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

Great News, Lessons learned by the owners I hope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

I mean surely places like Cuba and GPO will be reopened relatively quickly? Can't take that long to reopen places that are gonna be essentially the same thing again, and the market is definitely there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Just heard today. Bad news for the city as whether you liked the places or not they did provide employment and at least give more options to people going out. I haven't been in either Cuba or Bar 903 in years but I had some good nights in both places back in the day. Nobody wants to see more buildings boarded up. It really does look terrible although hopefully someone might step in and open something new and not just a generic CP's/Karma clone. Galway has those already.

Nightlife in Galway is really at a lowpoint compared to 5 to 10 or even 15 years ago.

The two nearest offys to me as well are both Harvest. Dammit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

Looks like it was because of sales. Sales were down 50%. Maybe they will not open again.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0102/jobs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

Gone into liquidation it seems.
    Must have been huge debt, because I thought they had the making money thing sorted out by now.

People go to CPs and Halo to be seen, that's about it.

I'm sick of people constantly dissing cps and Halo the above absolute nonsense in fairness, I go to Halo to have a good time and always do and you can get in wearing a polo and runners now, why would you want to be going out any less dressed up than that, its nice to make an effort.

Halo and cps are not the places closing down, which makes it clear enough which establishments are more popular and doing the better business. A very high population of the cps/halo haters appear to post here for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Just seen it on the news. 85 jobs lost. Huge shock to galway. Sorry to all that lost their jobs. Hope you are all good and well tonight and somewhere warm. Hope things pick up

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

clogher71 wrote: »
    I go with my child wife for food. :(

Um.... maybe an edit is called for here before you get yourself in trouble. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Lukker- wrote: »
    Real shame, the last thing we need is another CP's/Karma clone. Clubs in Galway all play the same generic ****e now.

here here
    paulhannon wrote: »
    No not for me. I handed in my notice to cuba about three weeks ago as I'm moving to New Zealand on Thursday. Wanna come to the leaving do? http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=142526829136430

ZING!
    You went to Cuba* to have a good time, especially upstairs. People go to CPs and Halo to be seen, that's about it. We are running out of places where you don't have to be dressed up to get in. Cuba was amongst the last of these.

exactly,im gone well past the stage of "dressing up" to gain entry to a place i dont want to be in and surrounded by knobends i dont want to surrounded by.
    for me clubs are about the music first and foremost and cuba offered a really decent selection of djs (house,techno,dubstep,dnb etc)
    rihanna and katy perry can **** right off,its painful enough to listen to the radio these days dont mind put up with it on a saturday night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,496 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Great News, Lessons learned by the owners I hope.

How the fcuk can this be great news?

85 at least out of work not to mention all the suppliers etc that will be screwed because of this.

Yeah great news indeed. Grow up tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

They've updated their websites... nice choice of video on cuba.ie ! :p
    www.cuba.ie
    "On behalf of everyone here... We would like to thank EVERYONE
    who was involved over the last 12 years.... Its been unforgettable..
    And thanks for all the lovely messages.. They mean a lot to all involved!"

www.cellarbar.ie
    "We're very sorry to say the Cellar Bar is no more. A very special
    thanks to everybody who has helped make our time such a pleasure.
    Thank you to all the wonderful staff who made it a joy to work there and
    all the fantastic customers and friends who supported us over the years.
    You will be missed."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'm sick of people constantly dissing cps and Halo the above absolute nonsense in fairness, I go to Halo to have a good time and always do and you can get in wearing a polo and runners now, why would you want to be going out any less dressed up than that.

Halo and cps are not the places closing down, which makes it clear enough which establishments are more popular and doing the better business. The Galway section of boards is like a magnet for halo/cps haters.

This is what you said earlier about "coyotes":
    That would be a disaster the last thing I want to see is "coyotes types" trying to get into the good places like Halo and cps, or actually getting in and causing trouble/lowering the tone of the place.

If you have no problem dissing a place you don't like why be concerned at all by others dissing the place you go?

Mactard wrote: »
    This is what you said earlier about "coyotes":

If you have no problem dissing a place you don't like why be concerned at all by others dissing the place you go?

Ah come on Coyotes is in a league if its own. I wasn't dissing cuba/903 or the celler. They just haven't been my thing (or my group of friends) in the last few years, I used to go there back in my early college days and I certainly hate to see places closing and people losing jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bill murray

Its more than 85 i reckon. There was almost that working in cuba between security,promo bar staff etc.

Oh well life goes on. People on here complaining about the owners are idiots. They probably don't even know them ffs. Most of us bar staff never even met the owners for gods sake. As for the management the were always fair to the staff there can be no doubt about that. You only have to look at facebook and so on to see how much people are upset about the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

Ah come on Coyotes is in a league if its own.

You set yourself up as kind of snobby saying things like that though.

Having worked in both halo and cp my reasons for disliking those places was the delusions of grandeur that a lot of the punters had there. Kind of elitist for want of a better description. Now certainly not all that go there are like that but it was the sole reason I packed in working there.

The clubs themselves are grand, well laid out and know their Market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Newbie_2009

Theres a serious amount of nightclub sniping goin on here. I dont get it if you dislike a nightclub fine dont go there and shut the f up and stop whinging its not like youre are conscripted to go in.

I for one want to pay tribute to Cuba I remember when I was in college and they introduced the cuba card which meant free in on a thursday nights which was brilliant at the time - really appreciated it - many a brilliant thursday night - when cps and the radisson were robbing everyone. It was well run and the vast vast majority of bouncers over the years that I encountered there were sound decent people but there always the one that got away with being a.

GPO gone cuba gone the radisson gone church lane gone boo radleys gone its a fickle business but for all the people on here worrying the the less desirable elements of the aforementioned will gravitate to cps or halo - fear not the door policy will be maintained and any undesirable will be deflected at the door well for halo anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Bit off topic but, is that restaurant still open beside the cellar? Been a while since i was in galway, The City centre will look ****e if both of them are closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

Bit off topic but, is that restaurant still open beside the cellar? Been a while since i was in galway, The City centre will look ****e if both of them are closed.

Maxwell McNamaras? Recently been renovated and re-opened as "Maxwell's".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That restaurant reopened as Maxwells in July-ish. Aimed at daytime tourists, IMHO, not somewhere I'd go but each to her own.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Up to 160 jobs gone, it would seem?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/160-jobs-lost-in-galway-487745.html
    Up to 160 jobs have been lost in Galway city with the closure of a number of pubs, off licences and a nightclub.

Staff at the Cellar Bar, Cuba nightclub, Bar 903, and the Harvest off-licence chain were given the news yesterday.

They were told that the company which controls the venues and off-licences has gone into liquidation.

Mayor of Galway Mike Crowe said the news was a big blow for the city. He added: "If there's anything we can do at local authority level, we will not be found wanting."

Not good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

I'm sick of people constantly dissing cps and Halo the above absolute nonsense in fairness, I go to Halo to have a good time and always do and you can get in wearing a polo and runners now, why would you want to be going out any less dressed up than that, its nice to make an effort.

Halo and cps are not the places closing down, which makes it clear enough which establishments are more popular and doing the better business. A very high population of the cps/halo haters appear to post here for some reason.

Halo & CPs are full of posers who dont know the meaning of clubbing,its just late drinking to them.
    Go to a club where the people go FOR the music or DJs and you'll meet a friendly up for it crowd,no fakeness,no plastic posers and very very rarely fights.theres an atmosphere and a feeling that collectively people are there to
    enjoy the music.
    With cps and halo they go out like sex in the city and end up like fair city with gack music,fights,burgers and puking thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

barryd09 wrote: »
    Halo & CPs are full of posers who dont know the meaning of clubbing,its just late drinking to them.
    Go to a club where the people go FOR the music or DJs and you'll meet a friendly up for it crowd,no fakeness,no plastic posers and very very rarely fights.theres an atmosphere and a feeling that collectively people are there to
    enjoy the music.
    With cps and halo they go out like sex in the city and end up like fair city with gack music,fights,burgers and puking thrown in.

Well said!
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

Having been in the industry for over ten years, I'd have to agree with Barry

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement