Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuba, Bar 903 etc. closed?

Options

Comments

barryd09 wrote: »
    Halo & CPs are full of posers who dont know the meaning of clubbing,its just late drinking to them.
    Go to a club where the people go FOR the music or DJs and you'll meet a friendly up for it crowd,no fakeness,no plastic posers and very very rarely fights.theres an atmosphere and a feeling that collectively people are there to
    enjoy the music.
    With cps and halo they go out like sex in the city and end up like fair city with gack music,fights,burgers and puking thrown in.

Well when I head to a club I want it to be a nice place, in general I like to throw on some nice clothes and head to a place thats plays music that I know, a mix of the stuff in the charts, some of the well know commercial dance songs and some oldies. Halo and cps (for a younger crowd) ticks these boxes.

I enjoy the atmosphere in Halo always meet lots of people I know and always have a good laugh, I have only ever seen one half hearted attempt at a fight in there and much prefer the feeling of the place than any other of the clubs in galway (and other towns/citys too). My group of friends would feel the same. I have never had a problem with the door staff, getting in with runners is allowed now for instance once you are dress well overall i.e. not wearing a t-shirt or a hoodie which imo are not suitable clothes for wearing when going to a club.

Ye should try some of the clubs in London if you think halo is strict. Some it has to be a shirt, not even polos etc are allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

I'll miss Harvest. Had the best beer selection in Galway by a mile. I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't just sell some of the profitable establishments (assuming some of them were profitable - the harvest by the fire station springs to mind) to try alleviate part of the debt rather than just give up. Though i suppose the premise was probably rented and thus selling was the only option perhaps?

Won't really miss the others so much but do feel for the staff and see it as a blow to Galway. I can't see how anyone can be happy to see a premise close down, let alone see a string of them fall at once. The zealotism in this thread is ridiculous. Having the variety of places to go at night reduce is of no benefit to anyone. Its like being happy that a brand of chocolate bar you dislike has been removed from production and with it 80+ people being fired as a result...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Some people like certain clubs some people don't. Get over it tbh.. Wasn't a big fan of cuba myself, but its still pretty bad news for the city overall with the loss of all them jobs and for the people who did enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

Well when I head to a club I want it to be a nice place, in general I like to throw on some nice clothes and head to a place thats plays music that I know, a mix of the stuff in the charts, some of the well know commercial dance songs and some oldies. Halo and cps (for a younger crowd) ticks these boxes.

I enjoy the atmosphere in Halo always meet lots of people I know and always have a good laugh, I have only ever seen one half hearted attempt at a fight in there and much prefer the feeling of the place than any other of the clubs in galway (and other towns/citys too). My group of friends would feel the same. I have never had a problem with the door staff, getting in with runners is allowed now for instance once you are dress well overall i.e. not wearing a t-shirt or a hoodie which imo are not suitable clothes for wearing when going to a club.

Ye should try some of the clubs in London if you think halo is strict. Some it has to be a shirt, not even polos etc are allowed.

not suitable clothes for a club? WTF!!!!! Where do you get off? You are the quinticential Halo punter. It's very much a G4, drive daddys beemer thing to say. It's cool that you like it etc but I've always wondered how do the people that like to hear stuff they know, hear something for the first time?

I think basically some people have a priority for music when choosing a club to go to, others choose the image etc. So an argument between those two groups of people will never see a "winning side".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Can't believe the snobby comments from some posters. The closure of any business that brings people into the city to spend money is a sad occasion. Plus, the Cellar is an institution. I was never a regular but it was great for lunch, and because students have been going there since Year Dot, it was a great, central location to meet friends.
    The closure of Cuba won't see the clientele queueing up for CPs/Halo, you know... It will just mean more people drinking at home. Not. Good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

whats wrong with a tshirt?

tbh a club that has rules like that has absolutley no chance of ever getting the chance to refuse me because of what i wear,i simply have no interest in such places.
    and for the record ive never had a problem getting into cps or halo when i would have gone there in my younger years,dresscode or not.

paulhannon wrote: »
    not suitable clothes for a club? WTF!!!!! Where do you get off? .
    whats wrong with a tshirt?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with t-shirts (and i mean plain t-shirts with no collar not polos) and hoodies I wear them often myself however I wouldn't wear them going out on a saturday night the same as I wouldn't wear jeans playing soccer, my comment was not meant in a "looking down on people" way at all.

This argument is way of topic at this stage and for the record I didnt suggest cuba/903 punters going to halo/cps was a problem I was taking jokingly about coyotes. I have said its a big loss for the jobs and the people who like to go there and as I said I used to go in my younger days but moved on. The cellar was never a place I really went for no particular reason but did have a good brekkie there on a few occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

I wouldn't wear them going out on a saturday night the same as I wouldn't wear jeans playing soccer.

I never knew that hoodies or T-shirts impede one's abilities to dance, drink, drink, dance, stand around, drink and maybe get it on...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with t-shirts and hoodies I wear them often myself however I wouldn't wear them going out on a saturday night the same as I wouldn't wear jeans playing soccer, my comment was not meant in a "looking down on people" way at all.

This argument is way of topic at this stage and for the record I didnt suggest cuba/903 punters going to halo/cps was a problem I was taking jokingly about coyotes. I have said its a big loss for the jobs and the people who like to go there and as I said I used to go in my younger days but moved on. The cellar was never a place I really went for no particular reason but did have a good brekkie there on a few occasions.

youre right,it is gone way off topic and i expect a mod will tow the line shortly.
    bottom line is people have lost their jobs,clubbers who liked the place and the music it played have lost probably the only place still playing something other than the normal chart tripe and several businesses are gone.
    sad times.

several businesses are gone.
    sad times.

Agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

jd007 wrote: »
    Some people like certain clubs some people don't. Get over it tbh.. Wasn't a big fan of cuba myself, but its still pretty bad news for the city overall with the loss of all them jobs and for the people who did enjoy it.
    sKhEM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

So what are the odds of these places reopening? (more than likely under new management). I really liked these places and there in prime locations around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

So Glad i've decided to give up the drink in the short term... I hate the roisin and two late bars gone in one fell swoop. Not that i went to either often though cuba bar was a nice spot for a date.

Can honestly say i never liked teh harvest or their staff. This is going back 3-4 years esp. The Id policy was ridiculous. Won't be missed.

More seriously I used to love going to the cellar to get lunch with my girlfriend.. and the free refills...went there today but the doors were ominously shut.

AWW.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

It's sad to see a business in the city centre going down, taking with it a family who have been in the pub trade in Galway County for nearly 50 years (they had the Imperial Hotel in Tuam when my father moved to Galway 45 years ago), and have had pubs in the city centre for about 30 years (the Kings Head), expanding over the years (Cuba, BarCuba (Bar903), The Cellar, The Living Room (Kellys), Harvest, and the supermarket in Moycullen. It's good to see that a few of these places have survived.

I have a large number of friends who worked in the various places over the years, some for 7 years +, and all enjoyed their time working for the Grealish family in all positions, from security to management. I worked for another member of the family in The Pump House for several years, and always found the whole family to be dead on.

As someone already alluded to, the family were invoved in charity work, giving time as well as backing, and are also very involved in the business community in the city, to the good of the entire city.

The figure of 85 jobs lost in the news may only refer to full time positions, as in that industry there would be a large proportion of part time workers.

I hope that the Grealish family manage to turn this situation around, reopening at least some of the places which have closed, if not all. They've been through bad times before, and have never thrown in the towel.

If they decide not to try and reopen, I wish them all the very best in their future enterprises.

@Paul Hannon; best of luck in New Zealand; it's a far cry from selling CDs in Zhivago or spinning discs around the city. You'd never know; with this Internet thing, iRadio might let you do a "special" show for them from NZ now and again!

always used to start my weekends in cuba bar and finish in cuba live. then they remodeled and changed it to bar 903. the place was never the same after that

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭lopppy

I really hope they re-open too but the problem is the people who would have taken on such ventures in the past are probably struggling too and even if they're not they'll find it difficult to finance. I wonder if staff such as bartenders promo kitchen staff etc were all brought down to the new minimum wage 7.65 could it have turned things around, probably came too late i suppose.

Didn't Cuba open every night? I can never see how most clubs can open 7 nights a week with 2 or 3 of them near empty and make a profit each night.

A lot of people in this thread seem to be very stuck in their ways about what club they go to, I agree that there is a degree of elitism coming with cps/halo but clearly a lot of Cuba regulars think they're better than everyone else too! A lot of students like myself go to most clubs, cps cuba karma club k i've had good and bad nights in all of them, but mostly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

lopppy wrote: »
    I really hope they re-open too but the problem is the people who would have taken on such ventures in the past are probably struggling too and even if they're not they'll find it difficult to finance. I wonder if staff such as bartenders promo kitchen staff etc were all brought down to the new minimum wage 7.65 could it have turned things around, probably came too late i suppose.
    The news says that over the past two years, sales are down 50%, so even if they took people on at minimum wage, unless they got sales up, there'd be vultures circling the moment it was opened.

I'd be very surprised if the Cellar's sales were down - half the time I went in there it was near impossible to find a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

Does anyone know who the liquidator is for jona holding company is? Could find out some more details.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'd be very surprised if the Cellar's sales were down - half the time I went in there it was near impossible to find a seat.

Everyone drinking the pitcher of bavaria perhaps :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭cookies221

Will pub/club owners now begin to realise that to attract customers they must lower drink prices and stop charging silly admission fees at the door??

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

cookies221 wrote: »
    Will pub/club owners now begin to realise that to attract customers they must lower drink prices and stop charging silly admission fees at the door??

You could get into Cuba free most nights with stamps, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

So the lesson is to up the admission fees and drink prices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭outwest

cuba problem was it was free most nights, if the charge even 2 euro to get in during the week, 200 people in the 400 a night by 5 = 2000 x 52 weeks in year = over 100000 just by having a small admitence fee,

i used to like cps but i find that if the bouncers dont like u, ur not getting in, cps is the best club in town but i fear they will be the next club to go,

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

Mactard wrote: »
    Everyone drinking the pitcher of bavaria perhaps :P

That was the main draw of the place for a lot of people i know. 7 quid for 3 pints of Bavaria, cheap cocktails etc. It was the cheapest place to get drink in a bar apart from Fibbers. Harvest also did a prmotion that if you bought a pack of Bavaria and kept the receipt you could get a free pint of Bavaria in The Cellar.They tried their best to bring sales up by the looks of it but it didnt work out. Would love to know where it went wrong. They had just spent a fortune on a new Funktion One system aswell.

Such an absolute pile of shlte posted in this thread. It's a big loss to Galway.. Stop whining about which nightclubs are best in a thread where it's just not relevent.

Some people seem to forget/are unaware that pretty much most nights the toilets in nightclubs in galway are absolutley wedged with empty naggins coupled with the fact that no place charges in during the week its really tough to make money,the average spend of a student getting in for free while bringing his/her own naggin in is?
    Exactly.Zip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Very sad to see this.

Every business that John Grealish and his extended family run has been an example to other businesses in their sector. I've lost touch with him over the last few years but I'm absolutely certain that he continues to be one of lifes true gentlemen. You really couldn't find a more understated decent guy; the complete opposite to the stereotypical brash Celtic tiger businessman type.

I wish him, his team, and his family the very best of luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Some people seem to forget/are unaware that pretty much most nights the toilets in nightclubs in galway are absolutley wedged with empty naggins

That's pretty liberal use of hyperbole. It's not as if the bars are desolated, or everyone there is ordering MiWadi. Cuba in particular took ****ing ages to get served in, and they never had offers on drinks either (or at least took a while to have them, they didn't when I last frequented the place).

• Advertisement

That's pretty liberal use of hyperbole. It's not as if the bars are desolated, or everyone there is ordering MiWadi. Cuba in particular took ****ing ages to get served in, and they never had offers on drinks either (or at least took a while to have them, they didn't when I last frequented the place).

What???

What i said isnt an absolute fact,is it not?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement