Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering switching banks to avail of Visa Debit

Options
  • 01-01-2011 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Ok so I'm with AIB at the moment and have been for a few years, never had any problems, I don't have a credit card but I do have a laser card. What has always annoyed me was the lack of support online for laser.

I've been thinking of switching PermanentTSB as they are using Visa Debit which as far as I'm aware works the same as a Laser (as in you pay for things with only the money you have in your account, no overdraft or limit etc).

I just wanna be able to buy things online without having to get someone else to do it because they don't take laser.

So is there anything I should know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Not really as in downsides. Some places wont offer cashback but its improving all the time that places do.

Ulster bank also offer visa debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

i have a visa debit account(ulster bank) very handy because you dont have to pay the fee's you would with a credit card and you can use it anywhere they take a visa credit card

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

i have a visa debit account(ulster bank) very handy because you dont have to pay the fee's you would with a credit card and you can use it anywhere they take a visa credit card

Do you mean interest rather than fees?

You wont pay any interest if you pay the balance in full

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

Cool thanks lads, I think I'll pop in on Monday and start sorting it out. Be handy for lots of little things like apple app store and eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Only use AIB Maestro on .ie websites which is restricting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

I'm think of doing the exact same too. I have the AIB laser card but would love the PTSB debit Visa card. I went into them (PTSB) today and have made an appointment to see them later this week to switch my account, they said all I need to bring in was a form of ID and a recent bill/letter with my address on it, seems simple enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

I have the TSB Visa Debit Card and its an absolute rip off to withdraw money abroad with vs the laser card. So I just use my moneybookers debit mastercard abroad instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Tiesto wrote: »
    I have the TSB Visa Debit Card and its an absolute rip off to withdraw money abroad with vs the laser card. So I just use my moneybookers debit mastercard abroad instead.

Really? I didn't know that, the Visa debit card is the main reason really I want to switch to PTSB, and I would be looking at using the card abroad in September. Would I just be better off getting an AIB credit card then? I had my heart set on getting a Visa debit card

Advertisement