Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Chrome Not working but IE works fine

• 01-01-2011 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

for the past few months ive been using Google chrome and i find it to be a lot faster and better than IE. however since yeasterday it keeps saying 'this webpage is not available' for all websites using google chrome. However IE works fine. ive tried online for solutions but to no avail. ive tried uninstalling chrome and re-installing it....but still the same.
    Installed on my computer i also have AVG Free 8.5 and McAfee Internet Security. maybe these are the problem.
    Any help i resolving this issue is greatly appreciated!
    Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Kentish wrote: »
    for the past few months ive been using Google chrome and i find it to be a lot faster and better than IE. however since yeasterday it keeps saying 'this webpage is not available' for all websites using google chrome. However IE works fine. ive tried online for solutions but to no avail. ive tried uninstalling chrome and re-installing it....but still the same.
    Installed on my computer i also have AVG Free 8.5 and McAfee Internet Security. maybe these are the problem.
    Any help i resolving this issue is greatly appreciated!
    Thank you!

It won't solve your problem but it's actually bad to run two anti virus programs on your pc. Pick one and uninstall the other. I'd choose avg over macafee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 johnny25clare

Ok which operating system are you using

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Hi I had a similar problem recently, and I also uninstalled and reinstalled Gchrome, but nothing happened.

I went to McAfee security centre and changed the settings to allow the page that was blocked. McAfee sometimes does that, so if you are sure the site is safe, change the setting to "always allow, well that's what I did and it worked for me.

I suppose that could take a while if ALL sites are blocked, but try it with a few of your faves anyway and see if it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Get rid of McAfee and give Your pc a free upgrade, unleash the power. McAfee is a hog. Uninstall and then run the removal tool:
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/McAfee-Consumer-Product-Removal-Tool.shtml
    Thats right, it digs itself in so badly You gotta run a removal tool to remove all traces of it. Having 2 antiviruses is a big no-no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Get rid of McAfee and give Your pc a free upgrade, unleash the power. McAfee is a hog. Uninstall and then run the removal tool:
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/McAfee-Consumer-Product-Removal-Tool.shtml
    Thats right, it digs itself in so badly You gotta run a removal tool to remove all traces of it. Having 2 antiviruses is a big no-no.

Hi OP, I was a Sys admin for nearly 6 years and completely agree with the above.

If you want to keep McAfee then uninstall AVG or vice versa. Its very likely that some one of the McAfee security programs are blocking Chrome from opening internet pages.

Having two antiviruses installed will cause an untold amount of hassle. Sure, the McAfee suite has loads of bells and whistles but in all honesty you don't need them. I've been using free AVG for years now and I have never picked up a virus.

Best of luck...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Kentish

Thanks for all the replies....have since un-installed McAfee and hey presto...Google Chrome is back in full flight!! Working on IE for 3 days was tough going. Im now just using AVG on my Laptop!! Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Kentish wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies....have since un-installed McAfee and hey presto...Google Chrome is back in full flight!! Working on IE for 3 days was tough going. Im now just using AVG on my Laptop!! Thanks again

Bet it feels snappier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Using a combination of any two antivirus programs usually results in massive PC slow down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

McAfee is like our government, shows up for work but does sweet fuck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Kentish

computer is a lot faster now...Google Chrome for Government!!!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement