Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Started

Options
  • 01-01-2011 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭

Hullo

My husband and i are novice hill walkers... not mountain climbers. We enjoy the coillte park and forest walks.
    We used to venture out with An Oige, but their walks can be restrictive on days/times/groups etc. So we'd like to be able to get out and about independently.

We were up in the hills today... Hell Fire Club and would have loved to have ventured off along some of the trails, but we'd no map. And were concerned we'd wander off the wrong way and not be able to get back to the car.
    Though, even WITH a map, not sure we'd fair much better.

SO - are there any map reading courses out there, where we can learn how to read an ordenance survey map etc. I did one years ago with scouts, but wouldn't trust my memory!

THANK YOU

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

Look for information on two linked courses - Mountain Skills 1 and 2 (often called MS1 and MS2) - there is an optional MS assessment at the end too, but you'd be fine with just the courses themselves. Look for a course provider who is approved by BOS (the Irish Mountain Training Board) - they might be an individual instructor or a larger outdoor training centre. Information available in the links provided by keenan110... Each course generally takes one weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

While you're learning, try out your rusty skills on some of the walksin discover irelands walks section, can't find web link just now but you should find it easy enough. Details there of looped and marked walks which might be of interest!

mountainviews.ie has a walks section too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Not sure where you are based but I've found a great place to cut your teeth is up in the Mournes. Loads of tracks up there and you can integrate the Mourne Wall into your route - leaves navigation pretty stratightforward. For example, you can follow a distinct track from Newcastle up to the wall and have access to a number of mountains along the wall from there.

I would however advise taking a Mountain Skills course to get an insight into map reading and navigating. I think there are a number of good courses out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Pplsgod

Unwilling wrote: »
    Hullo

My husband and i are novice hill walkers... not mountain climbers. We enjoy the coillte park and forest walks.
    We used to venture out with An Oige, but their walks can be restrictive on days/times/groups etc. So we'd like to be able to get out and about independently.

We were up in the hills today... Hell Fire Club and would have loved to have ventured off along some of the trails, but we'd no map. And were concerned we'd wander off the wrong way and not be able to get back to the car.
    Though, even WITH a map, not sure we'd fair much better.

SO - are there any map reading courses out there, where we can learn how to read an ordenance survey map etc. I did one years ago with scouts, but wouldn't trust my memory!

THANK YOU

Hello,

My own mountaineering club (Club Cualann) are holding their annual navigation training event in March. It is free to perspective new members of the club and would be ideal for you based on your needs. The course is run by some of the most experienced members of the club.

If you would like any more information please do not hesitate to contact me or keep an eye on our website www.clubcualann.ie for details nearer the time.

We would be delighted to welcome you along.

Advertisement