Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growth spurts

Options
  • 01-01-2011 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭

Hi

Spot the new father on the forum :D

I keep hearing about growth spurts making the baby feed frantically at various stages. The confussing thing for me is that everyone seems to have different schedule of when these should occur.
    The first person told me 5 days, 5 weeks, 5 months,
    the next 10 days etc.

Now I know there cant be a one size fits all exact schedule but surely there must be a rule of tomb as to when to expect these growth spurts.

any comments appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭J2D2

Just take it as it comes mate :) You'll just find the baby eating a bit more than usual at times for a while. So long as you have plenty of grub for them then you'll be sorted. There's not much you can predict really.

I know I was freaked out when I became a Dad, but it's a learn on the job kind of thing but it's not as scary as you think. Don't overthink it and just roll with it. :)

Oh and this place is a goldmine if you ever need advice, I've found it very useful in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gameshooter

Hey, Im also a new father, our baby has gone through about 4 of these which at times led to moms milk drying up which was very distressing for both mom and dad!(fennel tea was a great help).Also noticed baby was very restless during these times and slept very little! she seems to go through these every 3 weeks or so, If mom is breast feeding its best just to stay calm it will pass and she wont produce milk if stressed. shes now 16 weeks old and things have really settled down in the last few weeks with feeding patterns really becoming established but every baby is different we've been lucky, hopefully you will be too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

It is different for every baby! Our lad went through a spurt at 4 days, 9 days, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 9 weeks, 14 weeks, 6 months, 9 months and 13 months at which point I stopped breastfeeding. We don't notice them so much any more, he can have them hourly or weekly as he's an absolute savage at times (now nearly 17 months). My sister also breastfed her two, swore the spurts came in threes for her son (3 days, weeks, months) but couldn't notice any discernible 'spurting' with her daughter.

Just go with it, try to stay tuned in to your child and they should be able to let you know what they need (the bawling is usually a sure sign!).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Every child is different. Ours had her first spurt at 2 weeks. I remember one night she was feeding off my wife from 9pm until 3 am! Was a crazy time. They just seem ravenous all the time, no filling them at all.

My advice would be that unfortunately you just have to ride it out. She had her second one there last week and it was much more manageable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 hibride

Yeah, every baby is different! For example, I kept reading in forums that growth spurts last days, maybe a week. My experience with my Daughter is that they can last up to 2 weeks or so (I keep a diary, don't remember exactly how many days right now). My baby seemed not to fit a lot of what is written about babies; IMHO the best advice is to keep in mind that every baby is different ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement