Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...and back to Connemara.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

littlebug wrote: »
    Just signed up for the Fields of Athenry 10k on 26th December. Don't know if I'll be in pb shape or not... I'd lean towards not as I just haven't been doing enough road running but sure what else would I be doing on stephen's day :pac: so I'll just aim to enjoy and see what happens.

In other news..... in a moment of spontaneity quite uncharacteristic of me I've just signed up for the Connemara FULL marathon :eek:
    Sure why not :pac:

If training doesn't go well I'll drop back to the half and if I do the full it'll be an exercise in getting around slowly with nothing resembling a time target :)

Oh good woman, that's great. Best of luck with the training. Hoping to do the half myself so see you there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

7 mile lsr was the plan for today with the aim of keeping it really slow at 11 min miles. Everywhere is mucky and flooded and having to avoid the main road with the dog I had the bright idea of running at the race (horse) track, 1 mile loops with the option of tarmac or grass.

Just into the track and at the first little bit of pressure the dogs lead managed to separate from my belt :eek: This dog isn't like other dogs... she's nuts, given any freedom at all she runs at high speed, chases cars and anything else she sees and will not come back! Long story short.... caught her .65 miles later (for me... easily 3 times that distance for her) with much running back and forward, over a fence, down a steep briar laden embankment and caught her just before she spotted the sheep in the next field! Rather than go back up the embankment I decided to back up a lane which I thought came out back near the road... found myself calf deep in water and... effluent of some sort, it was brownish red :eek: My only consolation is that it didn't smell like sh1t but I still have no idea what it was. Back into the race track field having completed 1 mile in 21 minutes :D We ended up on an outer lane and stuck to that for a while, stopped to scratch heads for a while when it just ended but made our way back to the inner track, did a couple of loops to take us to 3 miles by which stage my feet were getting really uncomfortable in runners full of squelchy stuff so I called it a day, drove home. By the time I changed shoes and socks and regaled the family with the tale, OH had to leave so I did my remaining 4 miles on the TM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Ha ha great story littlebug. Although Im sure you didnt find it funny at the time. Your dog sounds a bit like mine - totally crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Ever think of trying some cross country? You seem to have a talent for it by all accounts :D:D

Ever think of trying some cross country? You seem to have a talent for it by all accounts :D:D

oh yes when the AC get wind of my 21 minute cross country mile they'll be calling me up for the County team :p

Sometimes these things are funny in hindsight. I wonder is this guy laughing yet :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

oh yes when the AC get wind of my 21 minute cross country mile they'll be calling me up for the County team :p

I still harbour dreams of a call up for the Meath county team. Maybe have to wait until at over 65 category though. :rolleyes:

Nice clip. I can empathise with the chap, though my fella likes to disappear into ditches after rabbits, nothing as classy as a fallow deer.

The best laid plans...
    With OH very busy workwise and the youngest suffering badly from a serious case of mini man flu ;) so off school I didn't "really" get out yesterday, just up and down the village a couple of times in the dark at either end of the day with the mutt.... total probably about 2.5 miles.

same today in terms of not getting out but god bless the television for keeping sick boys amused:)

4 miles on the treadmill.... 11/8.03/8.03/ 10.55 :). Had to take a breather after the 2x 8.03s:o

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

3.2 miles in Cong woods with the dog and our new hands free kit..:) should save a bit on physio bills.

Proper canicrosser now- how are you finding the belt? Are you getting rubber neckers driving by? I think they all think I'm nuts where I'm from I'd say the villagers call me the mad woman with the dog (they're probably right too)!

I'm slowly reading through your log I seem to be at the stage now you were at last Feb or March, its nice to read someones log and be able to relate to it- its keeping me motivated!

madon wrote: »
    Proper canicrosser now- how are you finding the belt? Are you getting rubber neckers driving by? I think they all think I'm nuts where I'm from I'd say the villagers call me the mad woman with the dog (they're probably right too)!

:D I choose to believe they're smiling, not laughing, at me :p
    The belt is great though the dog still won't run in a straight line but at least it stops my arm/ shoulder getting yanked everytime she jumps up on a wall or through a hedge or when she suddenly stops or changes direction. I'd love to do a race with her sometime :D

:D I choose to believe they're smiling, not laughing, at me :p
    The belt is great though the dog still won't run in a straight line but at least it stops my arm/ shoulder getting yanked everytime she jumps up on a wall or through a hedge or when she suddenly stops or changes direction. I'd love to do a race with her sometime :D

I'm lucky my fella just runs like he has blinkers on, I say left and he goes left I say right and he goes right besides that he just goes straight- I like to think I trained him really well but he's part husky so its more that its his instinct to run the way we do:D

• Advertisement

A very slow slippy slidey 3.1 miles this morning. So slow I took some photos :D

307925D6689E4DD3B94DB82E8A4B7C05-0000331913-0002671995-00500L-5C4FC578B16A479D8334DCBCDAFD9133.jpg

The snow always seems to bring the mountains closer.

madon wrote: »
    I'm lucky my fella just runs like he has blinkers on, I say left and he goes left I say right and he goes right besides that he just goes straight- I like to think I trained him really well but he's part husky so its more that its his instinct to run the way we do:D

That's brilliant. Mines all terrier and just has to sniff every blade of grass, look over the top of every wall and through the tiniest little gap in the hedge just in case there's something in there she might like to kill... drives me nuts!
    Here's the beast herself, my little running buddy.
    069F156D9F9C47D0BA7496E4023E26D8-0000331913-0002671994-00500L-308925F335DD4ED1B77DF48013D9E520.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Lovely snowy photos littlebug.

And your dog is just gorgeous :), what kind of terrier is she?

RubyK wrote: »
    what kind of terrier is she?

She's Kerry Blue terrier, or half Kerry blue anyway... the jury's out on whether she's full kb or not, I tend to think not. No idea what the "other" might be:D

She's Kerry Blue terrier, or half Kerry blue anyway... the jury's out on whether she's full kb or not, I tend to think not. No idea what the "other" might be:D

I thought that all right, we have a Kerry too :D Beautiful dogs, very loyal, and full of spirit :eek::pac:

I thought that all right, we have a Kerry too :D Beautiful dogs, very loyal, and full of spirit :eek::pac:

Great.. I don't know anyone else with a Kerry! Can he jump 6 ft walls too? :D You're not joking about being full of spirit:eek: She's a rescue so as well the typical kerry characteristics we have some "issues";) to deal with too. But she's great fun, great with kids and despite my grumblings I love taking her out for runs :)

Great.. I don't know anyone else with a Kerry! Can he jump 6 ft walls too? :D You're not joking about being full of spirit:eek: She's a rescue so as well the typical kerry characteristics we have some "issues";) to deal with too. But she's great fun, great with kids and despite my grumblings I love taking her out for runs :)

:D Thankfully, she can't jump 6ft walls, she's not springy at all. Not for want of trying though, to get at the cats next door. They are great fun aren't they? How old is yours? You're great for bringing her out for runs. I have to drag ours out for a walk at 6.30am, and I really mean drag, some days. For a Kerry she can be incredibly lazy at times, especially Monday mornings :eek: She's far more interested in going in the car. Spoilt much :o

:D Thankfully, she can't jump 6ft walls, she's not springy at all. Not for want of trying though, to get at the cats next door. They are great fun aren't they? How old is yours? You're great for bringing her out for runs. I have to drag ours out for a walk at 6.30am, and I really mean drag, some days. For a Kerry she can be incredibly lazy at times, especially Monday mornings :eek: She's far more interested in going in the car. Spoilt much :o

don't mention the cats :eek: Mine is somewhere between 2.5 and 3 years.. unknown really but young. She can be stubborn as hell on walks sometimes and refuses point blank to go down certain roads or makes sure we turn back when SHE wants to :rolleyes: but when we run I think she'd go on forever. We know all about it if she's had a few days with no run:p
    She was great this morning....5 miles no bother to her!

5 miles @ 10.06/10.02/ 8.55/ 8.55/10.08. Good to throw a couple of faster miles in there though I'll admit I didn't find it easy. Stopped to admire the view :pac: for a few mins after 4 miles. Im undecided about pace in Athenry. I might aim for 3x 9 min miles to start with and reassess as I go. If I dont hit that target or get anywhere close to a pb it's no biggie as it needs to form part of 9 miler for that day anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good stuff LB, great to see you back in form again. Good luck for Athenry...what colour hat did they go for this year :)

shazkea wrote: »
    Good stuff LB, great to see you back in form again. Good luck for Athenry...what colour hat did they go for this year :)

Blue this year thankfully. Last time I did this race it was red, and I wore it through the race... red hat + red face = not a good look :pac:

She's gorgeous I'd say she makes for some fun runs- I love terriers energy wish I was part terrier myself sometimes!!! I've the same manmat stuff as you too (except in red!).

• Advertisement

.She can be stubborn as hell on walks sometimes and refuses point blank to go down certain roads or makes sure we turn back when SHE wants to :rolleyes:
    That's the exact same as ours :o. I get some funny looks from people as I try to coax her along, while she has her arse stuck to the ground.
    but when we run I think she'd go on forever. We know all about it if she's had a few days with no run:p
    She was great this morning....5 miles no bother to her!

That's very handy alright, a sure way to tire her out. I can only get ours to run on the beach - she loves that, but only a mile, before she decides enough is enough.

What a week. Though I spent my week running round in circles and chasing my tail, feeling like I'd run a marathon every day I didn't get any scheduled or structured training in. I was covering 3 miles every day walking with the mutt but this was broken up and though I was throwing bursts of runs in on each of them I couldn't put a mile total or time/ pace etc on it.

Today... Fields of Athenry 10k + an extra 2.8 miles.
    Given the week that was in it, the sheer gluttony of Christmas day (including convincing myself that pringles are carbs :D, mucho vino, the extra baggage i'm carrying around since my layoff which somehow hasn't disappeared yet :( and the fact that I was adding a few extra miles meant that this wasn't going to be a race as such for me. I was going to it as a long training run with 6.2 in the middle just a wee bit faster than the 2.8 either side.
    The plan was to stick to 10 min miles or thereabouts.

Started with 1.6 mile warm up, at the start thinking that the wind wasn't too bad... then I turned around :eek: and nearly got blown off the footpath. I was damned glad I had a big long list of excuses not to race at that point :D

Race start...took my rightful place at the back of the pack. Mucked up garmin at the start so was about .03 into the race before it kicked in. Ran the first two miles a bit faster than I'd planned but I was kinda going along with the flow of those around me and felt ok so first two were 9.40ish. Turned a corner at about 2.5 miles and the wind... eh.... knocked the wind from my sails :p I nearly came to a standstill at one point. Honestly I don't think I could have gone any faster if I'd tried! I also got stuck behind an ambulance for a while... very narrow road :o so mile 3 was annoyingly slow. Bearing in mind that I would still have another 1.2 miles to run afterwards and to be honest it wasn't the easiest of conditions I didn't really put much effort into picking up the pace again and the last 3 miles were all over 10 mins with just a faster burst at the end. Finished in 1.02:24 (6.2 miles by my garmin) but my chip time will be maybe 20 seconds or so slower given my faffing about at the start.
    Water and mmmm chocolates at the finish line. I had intended going straight into doing my extra 1.2 miles but was easily convinced to go in for tea and biccies first :D Trotted out another very very slow 1.2 before heading home. Right knee and ITB started to hurt a bit then... hopefully nothing :(

Todays 9 miles brings me up to 499.5 for the year... though i have no real numbers for the rest of the week I think I can bring myself to 500 in good conscience... the real figure is more than that but I have no idea how much.

I'll be away for a couple of days now so it might be tricky enough getting runs in with travelling... we'll see. The plan is to do next Saturdays 10 miler in Galway and run the last mile with Speedy on his 1000th mile for the month. Given his phenomenal mileage I might actually be able to keep up with him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

well done littlebug. tough conditions to run in but its done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Yes, well done littlebug. You grinded it out. :)

Getting caught up on the dog chit chat....we had a Kerry Blue growing up. She was wild! Full of fun and good times, but she consumed everything and anything in her reach...including my brother's handmade airplane, grandma's piano, our staircase, and a bar of soap (on her own accord) that didn't set too well with her digestive system. :(

Happy holidays to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Well done littlebug. Conditions looked pretty tough alright.
    Was kinda glad I wasn't running when I saw the wind out there this morning.

i'm a bit :o by the "well done"'s as I didn't actually try very hard. The wind was really tough to run in but I spent most of it thinking "thank goodness I'm not trying to run any faster". The fact that I was tucked into the chocolates within seconds of finishing tells that I wasn't trying very hard. I suppose I enjoyed it more though as with no target I wasn't going to be disappointed with whatever finishing time I got :)
    BrokenMan wrote: »
    Well done littlebug. Conditions looked pretty tough alright.
    Was kinda glad I wasn't running when I saw the wind out there this morning.
    Were you there marshalling BM? I wonder did the wind affect the front runners at all or are they completely impervious to all "conditions"?
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    we had a Kerry Blue growing up.

Completely loopy dogs but great fun:D Thankfully mine doesn't chew or eat stuff she's not supposed to. Happy holidays to you too!

Just noticed a few things about my post....

pringles
    mucho vino,
    mmmm chocolates
    tea and biccies
    the extra baggage i'm carrying around since my layoff which somehow hasn't disappeared yet :(

d'ya think maybe there's a message in there for me somewhere :confused::p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Winning times were pretty much in line with last year but anyone I was talking to definitely felt the wind out there.

I was there alright on traffic duty outside the school before hand and I was hanging around just after the finish line as well.

3 miles easy with 2 dogs and daughter on bike. Nothing easy about it :pac: Knee still hurting:(. I'll have the day off tomorrow as I'm travelling so hopefully it'll be ok then.

Foam rolled the bejaysus out of my right itb on Tuesday evening. Travelling on Wed so no run.

Thurs, 5.6 miles in Rossmore Forest Park in my new trail runners. Felt like a proper canicrosser. Garmin was used for distance rather than pace as there was a bit of dawdling trying to figure out where I was and which trail to take next as well as making my way around fallen trees and all the other good stuff you only get to do on forest runs. Had intended only 5 miles but misjudged things and got a little bit lost :o Trail runners were great.... slopping and slushing through mud, leaves and puddles, didn't slip once and my feet were bone dry when I finished :) . no pain anywhere so foam rolling combined with softer surface has obviously helped.

Travelling again today so no run.
    I need to do 10 miles this weekend. Looking at the forecast I think tomorrow is the best day to do it. keeping an eye on Speedy's facebook. He's nearly there! My plan was/ is to join with his group at Renmore for my 10th mile. I think his original plan was to be there by 3.30 but he may have 40 something miles to run tomorrow rather than the originally planned 20 something so I'll have to keep an eye out in case that changes.
    More foam rolling tonight.

• Advertisement

There is an article in an English running magazine this week about a group of canicrossers in the UK (canicross trailrunners). Magazines free online (I think its called running free) I'm not sure if I'm allowed post the link. The race they done looks brilliant though- would love if there was something similar here.

Advertisement