Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...and back to Connemara.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Better late than never...
    Only catching up on the Boards logs this weekend. What a great run in Conn for you, congrats! And a good report too.
    Take care of yourself and hope the knee gets sorted soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I've toyed with the idea of letting the log slide/ not logging anymore at all or starting a new one. I've been here 3 years now and after that initial getting from a 1 hr 8 min 10k to under an hour (etc) there hasn't really been any improvement. I've made my peace with that ;) and will continue to run purely for the enjoyment of it. But then questioned is it worth continuing logging my jogging :pac: but... I like it here :o so I'll keep going for a while. Will stick to this log for now... maybe a new title...or something.

Anyhow... since Connemara..

Tuesday/ Wed/ Thursday- on each day I did 20 mins easy on exercise bike and 3 miles easy run with dog, upping the pace again a wee bit everyday but not really pushing it.
    Friday- just a nice 3 mile walk.
    Saturday morning- best run ever :) 2 miles with my daughter, her first proper run with me and she was great! We just went with the flow and took walk breaks when she felt she needed them but there were fewer than I thought there would be. The way back has a hill that I couldn't run up when I started and she eased her way up, chatting away about the lambs in the field beside us. Last year there was "Furry 5k" in Galway in august , a walk/ run with your dog fundraising thing and she wants that to be her first 5k race.

Saturday evening - clonbur adventure 6k

I'm not sure what the adventure part was... this was the first running of a 6k trail run/ race in the woods. Given that most of my runs involve my dog which means lots of stops and distractions I thought I'd do this race just for the sake of moving the legs a wee bit faster than usual with no stops and distractions!
    No more than 50 people lined up... maybe even fewer. With those numbers there's always a real chance I could be last. I thought 9.30 something pace would be a decent pace without killing myself :).
    The gun went and as is the norm people took off like hares.. went a bit faster than planned at the start as it's hard not to! After half a mile two young girls (age 11 or 12 maybe) passed me :eek: a glance behind told me there were still people back a distance behind me (phew!). A short sharp hill after than saw them slow down and I passed the two out again (phew again). Pushed on, came level with a man who joked about aiming for the prize for the category for men who turn 49 in September :D Chatted for a minute making up categories to win (this is the attitude that keeps us tail-enders going) then I bade farewell and moved on. Passed another guy who had slowed to a walk, then a few mins later another who was sat on the grass with his shoe off with either foot or shoe issues. After that I didn't see anyone for ages... just hearing the occasional cough of 49 man a fair bit behind by now. crossed a bridge with a steward standing there with filled cups of water lined up on the railing... you'd have to stop altogether to pick one up without knocking them all over. I didn't bother. It got a bit lonesome then and it started to feel hard. 9.30 pace shouldn't feel this hard... I think the surface in the woods makes it slower. I was very tempted to slow to my usual long run in the woods pace and enjoy this. The demons were saying... "what were you thinking" etc etc. Passed by the spot where I'd seen pine marten poo :D a couple of weeks ago and I wanted to stop and look for more signs of pine martens and enjoy a nice walk back to the finish line...but I didn't;). Finally with less than 1 mile to go I spotted some other runners maybe a minute ahead of me which made it easier to keep the pace going. Got a great cheer from 2 men manning a junction with quarter mile to go which lifted my spirits again and in no time I was turning the last corner and up the last straight to the finish line and life was good again :) According to my garmin it was just over 6k or 3.82 miles in 36. 30 at 9.34 pace, a good workout for me to get me moving again after all the Connemara (and post) plodding and as an added bonus I wasnt last!

now what... domestic circumstances make it difficult to plan ahead with regard to races but I have any amount to choose from in the next few months. Would like to get back to comfortable 9 min miles. We'll see how it goes :)

Easter Sunday- turkey dinner, banoffi pie, ice cream, cake, lots of chocolate and a nice slow 3 mile walk :)

Monday- slow and easy 3 mile plod with the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Ah keep the log going, your posts and race reports are great. Sometimes it is a pain logging runs especially when you're not feeling the love for it.
    I get a lot of encouragement from reading other people's logs and following their progress and of course it keeps me on my toes too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

I agree with jcsmum Littlebug, you have to keep logging- I love reading your logs every run is an adventure, if you haven't read back on your own log in a while you should do! Hope you start feeling the love again soon:)

• Advertisement

Oh I'm still feeling the love :D it's just the getting slower/ going backwards in public that I'm just a bit :o about! But you're right every run is a little adventure in itself.... anyway I tried a week out and couldn't stay away! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Oh littlebug dont go anywhere, I really enjoy reading your log. I often get notions of leaving here too but the support is too hard to leave behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

as above +1 :D

Logging, and the support we get on here, is what makes those hard, cold , 'I don't want to' runs happen (for me:p)

...and I love hearing about your mad runs with the pooch. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I have to chime in here too, littlebug. I LOVE your log. In fact, since my marathon on Saturday I've been in a bit of a funk, but reading your accounting of your 6k adventure race just now had me smiling and laughing, so thank you. These logs are so many things to so many people, and ultimately they really aren't about PBs or who logs in the most miles and hours. Personally, I think it's a community that encourages improvement in us - whether that be inspiring us to get off the couch and run with our dog, challenging us to sign up for a marathon with crazy elevation gains, daring us to set and meet goals we never would have set or met, motivating us to notice things we never would have noticed, or causing us to look within ourselves as we never would have done before. So don't even worry about feeling like you are going backwards in public, because you aren't. Trust me. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Don't you DARE go anywhere. You got me into this log malarkey so if anyone is bailing out first it's me... and I'm going nowhere (log and running wise :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Dory Dory wrote: »
    These logs are so many things to so many people, and ultimately they really aren't about PBs or who logs in the most miles and hours. Personally, I think it's a community that encourages improvement in us - whether that be inspiring us to get off the couch and run with our dog, challenging us to sign up for a marathon with crazy elevation gains, daring us to set and meet goals we never would have set or met, motivating us to notice things we never would have noticed, or causing us to look within ourselves as we never would have done before. So don't even worry about feeling like you are going backwards in public, because you aren't. Trust me. ;)

I have to agree fully with this point and all the other ones made above.....i love reading about peoples runs, and adventures and your log is always great reading.

BTW congrats on your adventure race ...it takes guts to get out there and to keep going when all you want to do is sit down and rest.

Your log title can refer to next yrs Conn, when lots more of us hope to be matching your achievement of this year!!!!...

Keep logging to keep the rest of us jogging;):o

Jaysis I wasn't expecting all that (especially since I'd already decided to keep the log going anyway :pac:) but thanks all :o *mwah mwah * (and a handshake for MCS :D). Very much appreciated.
    Tuesday.. much needed rest.

Wednesday. AM- nice 2 mile walk in the park with kids and dog. should have been shorter but dropped my keys along the way and had to backtrack :o

PM. treadmill. 4 miles 11/ 8.03/ 8.03/ 9.03 :)

very happy with that! I'm pretty sure could have kept going at 8.03 for the last mile too but that wasn't my plan so I just reduced the pace every 30 seconds or so for the last mile. Oh how I wish I could do 8 min miles on the road!

My daughter wants to run again with me this evening so may get another 2 slow miles done but it depends what time OH gets home.

Run 2 of the day was two miles with my daughter. On our first run at the weekend she had a few walk breaks, on this run no walk breaks :eek: I enforced a two min stop at our turnaround point but she was absolutely fine to run it all and talked non stop all the way :D

am: 30 mins on the exercise bike. 10 easy/ 10 hard/ 10 easy. Will take the real bike out at the weekend and next week when kids are back at school. In the meantime this is a decent enough alternative.

evening. 3 easy miles with the dog. My right calf was a bit tender after yesterdays treadmill run so this was an easy peasy leave the watch at home run. Stopped to talk to a few different neighbours along the way.. must've talked a lot as I wasn't back home for nearly an hour! :D Calf loosened up nicely.

How's the cycling going? Don't be afraid to log it here - we're not all anti-triathletes :D

How's the cycling going? Don't be afraid to log it here - we're not all anti-triathletes :D

Ha ha! The cycling went as well as the running this week... ie none :o
    Had a couple of unfortunate incidents last weekend, one involving a swimming pool railing and the other involving a large rock, which left my poor legs a bit bruised and battered and in need of a break. This was also my busiest week of the year workwise ...little sleep and much much paperwork so I had no time for anything anyway. ( the positive is that I've no more work til September :D)

Started to put things right again today :). 2 very very easy miles this morning with my daughter. A splash in the pool this afternoon (avoiding railings) and then 4 miles on the treadmill this evening (11/ 8.03/ 8.03/9.02).

My 1000 mile completion date has gone to Feb :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

So has mine LB :rolleyes: but sure we have loads of bright evenings to come to catch up :)

littlebug wrote: »
    My 1000 mile completion date has gone to Feb :(

I'm out at 16th April:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

I'm hanging in there by the skin of my teeth and the kids only have a few weeks left of school so then I have the choice to run at midnight or not at all:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

So when is your debut tri then LB :D

• Advertisement

I'm out at 16th April:eek:

A few more 5 run day weeks and you'll make a dent in that :cool:
    madon wrote: »
    I'm hanging in there by the skin of my teeth and the kids only have a few weeks left of school so then I have the choice to run at midnight or not at all:rolleyes:

Same... I've been mulling that over too. My eldest is grand for cycling along with me but the youngest isn't. Could be the local pitch for some midweek runs for me in summer. Though I suppose there's really nothing stopping me doing very early morning runs...

this evening...nice easy 4 mile jog with the dog:)

shazkea wrote: »
    So when is your debut tri then LB :D

ha ... in another life Shaz :pac:
    I was at the pool with the kids yesterday, watching the eldest swimming away with her head right under water, doing really well and soooo determined to get her breathing right. I signed them up for their lessons and just thought I'd (finally) take that leap and get some myself. I start tomorrow evening. Kinda nervous about it :o Being out of my depth and swallowed up by waves is a recurring nightmare of mine:o
    Anyway... no more :) and no tri. I just want to be able to swim a bit better and with more confidence .

ha ... in another life Shaz :pac:
    I was at the pool with the kids yesterday, watching the eldest swimming away with her head right under water, doing really well and soooo determined to get her breathing right. I signed them up for their lessons and just thought I'd (finally) take that leap and get some myself. I start tomorrow evening. Kinda nervous about it :o Being out of my depth and swallowed up by waves is a recurring nightmare of mine:o
    Anyway... no more :) and no tri. I just want to be able to swim a bit better and with more confidence .

Brilliant LB, best of luck with it. The first step is always the hardest but I bet after a few sessions you'll be flying. I have a feeling I'll be back to remind you that you said no to tri ;)

:D First swim lesson. About 5 minutes into the lesson the penny dropped that you're not actually supposed to hold your breath but rather breath out under the water! Just like that all the anxieties faded.
    All these years of panic and all I needed to do was breathe out :rolleyes::o and suddenly I had some control :). I also feel a bit foolish for not copping on to that before !
    Did some front crawl, backstroke (a first for me) and breaststroke (diabolical) and although I've lots to work on, once I lost the panic I'm not nearly as bad as I thought I was.
    So.. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next one. Last summer I told myself that this summer I'd be able to swim the length of kilmurvy beach and back. That's the target...none of yer ould triathlons....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Well done, littlebug! And I love the target - kilmurvy beach and back. Triathlons will just have to do without you for now.....but you may be back to considering a short one next year! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Well done lb. + 1 on what dory said re your target. I like it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Last summer I told myself that this summer I'd be able to swim the length of kilmurvy beach and back. That's the target...none of yer ould triathlons....

I reckon within the next 12 mths, certain people will be reminding you of this ...after you have finished your first Tri:D

well done on the swimming lesson!! i must get back to mine... stopped 3yrs ago to have No3 but never managed to go back....yet!!

Younganne wrote: »
    I reckon within the next 12 mths, certain people will be reminding you of this ...after you have finished your first Tri:D

Yup I will :p

Good on you LB, there will be no stopping you now on your beach length. I'd wait till it was slightly calmer than today tho :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done on the swimming lesson lb, I've had a few of those moments where I've realised things that should have been obvious all along and had I known, swimming would have been much easier for me. Like if I swallow water- no need to stop and cough like I'm dying, a simple cough under water fixes it no problem :D

• Advertisement

another busy week. i'm not sure exactly what I was busy doing but somehow the week flew by without much achieved :confused:. just a couple of easy 3 milers with the mutt earlier in the week then today 5 miles (x 10 mins) on the treadmill. With OH on the other side of the Atlantic I'll be stuck with treadmill runs til mid next week. Have registered for the castlebar 10k next sunday... not expecting a pb but maybe set myself a time to beat 6 weeks later in Annaghdown which is a much flatter and nicer route (and the scene of my current 10k pb). All good :)

Advertisement